Ingram Micro

Updated September 13, 2014
3.1

Ingram Micro CEO Alain Monie
Alain Monie

Pros
  • They are understanding of a work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• I learned a lot at Ingram, and met a lot of great people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Uncertainty and low margin business make for decisions that aren't always popular (in 5 reviews)

• You won't find work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Review of Ingram Micro workplace environment and culture (Santa Ana location)

Former Employee - Vendor Business Manager  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Vendor Business Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ingram Micro has very talented people that work there. Although they have a lot of entry level marketing and functional type roles, their management is second to none. Very smart people. They bring in young talent and groom them up. They tend to select similar type of personnel in the hiring process. Those that are loyal and looking to collaborate while working hard.

Cons

A con to many might be the pay but the stability is what they offer to their employees. Distribution is a high volume low margin business. Ingram Micro offers great experience and long term employment. You would see people that work there 10 years plus and enjoy being there.

Ingram Micro is a fortune 100 company. They are structure similar to other fortune 100 companies. Their compensation, training, perks, etc,... are in line with most others. They actually offer great benefits for a company with tight margins. Their stock is going up.

Great company, good benefits, very good mgmt, but hard to get promoted...

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very well respected in our industry. Lots of good, professional people. Clear understanding of your role. In the Fortune 100, solid financials, so you don't have to worry about your check not cashing (if you've had that happen, you never take it for granted again!). They are understanding of a work life balance. Company is very charitable, and not for publicity, which I like.

Cons

Don't like what they are doing with the 401K's, they split them into a regular and supplemental plan , this will cost me significant compounded interest . Serious problem long term, might cause me to look for another job.
    Some slackers unfortunately who manage to game the system, which is annoying to us who work hard and take our jobs seriously.
    Very limited chances to get promoted, but that might only be our group

Paying some new employees more than some older employees in base salaries, and you should "true up" the salaries, that's just not fair.

Overall I am satisfied but there are definitely things to improve

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/Life balance - In my experience, everyone I have worked with/for has been extremely understanding and respectful of a true work/life balance

A lot of opportunity to move up and learn more

Cons

I have had 4 bosses in 14 months. Some of the changes were because of a boss moving on, others were because of restructuring which has happened 2 times in the last 6 months.

My job gets very repetitive

Consider upgrading from an archaic batch processing system to a system such as SAP or Oracle that allows for up-to-date data

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people but low compensation

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a place where you can make great connections and work with talented people. This is a good place to start your career, it will give you the tools you need so you can go elsewhere for higher compensation.

Cons

The compensation is low, there used to be stability which made-up for the low compensation but now that is gone. Too many layoffs and instability. The employees don't believe the changes being made are for the best. Hopefully things straighten out, but only time will tell.

This is more to executive level - If you see that you have a great team, I don't recommend splitting them into other teams.

Stable company in Buffalo, but management leaves a bit to be desired.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Williamsville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsville, NY

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture is employee focused for the most part. Can bring ideas to the table that will be heard and potentially implemented.

Cons

Compensation is not consistent; people doing the same job could be $15-25K apart. Putting people into management roles for sheer convenience rather than based on abilities. No room for growth on the operations side.

Ensure you know the culture and role your associates play and be able to back them up. Don't just put someone into a leadership role because they are visible to you on a daily basis, rather hire the right leadership to help drive the teams.

Enjoyed the people I worked alongside.

Former Employee - Engineering Technician  in  Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Majority of the associates are hard working people trying to do their job.

Cons

It is like all large companies their concern is not the people.

Need to understand the people who actually do the work.

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist II  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist II in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time for more than a year

Pros

The environment is enjoyable. Majority of employees are hard working and there are growth benefits including knowledge and position. Work/life balance is pleasant. Time off policy is adequate.

Cons

Lack of communication at the management level. Compensation could be based better on contribution and experience rather than what corporate determines.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time

Pros

Good company to work for if overall.

Cons

Too much of political going on there

be nice

Market Development Specialist

Current Employee - Market Development Specialist  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Market Development Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to start your career. I have learned a lot about how companies work from a relationship stand point along with the financial aspect of it.

Cons

It takes a long time gain traction or get feedback about programs and contests that you run for your certain vendors to show your value add.

Ingram Micro a great company to work for

I worked at Ingram Micro

Pros

Culture is very employee centric. A strong team environment. Excellent benefits , strong leadership at the executive level. A place where you can advance your career.

Cons

They work on distributor margins ( thin) so they are prone to economic downturns which lead to layoffs. This is part of the model.

Continue to be a people first company as they are by far your greatest asset. In that vein continue to invest in your associates.

Worked for Ingram Micro? Contribute to the Community!