Ingram Micro Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

3.2

Ingram Micro CEO Alain Monie
Alain Monie

Pros
  • They are understanding of a work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• I learned a lot at Ingram, and met a lot of great people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Uncertainty and low margin business make for decisions that aren't always popular (in 5 reviews)

• You won't find work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

pursuing the numbers

Current Employee - Cellular Tech III  in  Euless, TX
    Current Employee - Cellular Tech III in Euless, TX

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time for less than a year

Pros

they have benefits, and dental and medical insurance to apply for.

Cons

They paid holidays are good but you need to make up for the day that is missed by mandatory work on weekends.

The chasing after the numbers is business but to have no care of employees lives by calling mandatory weekends a lot is not fun. Then your supervisors manage to get a day off while all the repair personnel are working both days. This to me does not show that the people making the decisions care about the people.

Low margin business where every leader has to fight for resources.

Former Employee - Sales Director  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Ingram Micro part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are never any resources to do proper planning and executing on a roadmap. So the board keeps changing the IT management every few years and they want to do what ever is the latest management trend to save money. In the past 10 years, they tried outsourcing, offshore outsourcing, insourcing and now with the new CIO they are trying a hybrid model.

The people are nice when they don't have to fight for resources. It get's ugly at the director level and above so everyone in those levels gets paid well. The shrewd ones survive the longest.

Getting things done is extremely difficult when successful. This can be a great challenge and a learning opportunity for any one who can get things done. This experience will help people in other jobs. I will always be grateful for that opportunity. I got things done.

Cons

Where ever there is a shortage of resources, there is politics of survival. Getting projects done is extremely challenging. To be successful, one has to work extremely hard and please a lot of egos. There are plenty of approvals and controls with systems not working properly. There is little or no governance at least in the IT. Everything depends on the whim of some leader in IT or business. It takes time to figure that out.

Stop buying promises from outsiders who don't know Ingram people and how they work. Promote internally to C-Level positions and empower them. They are capable when they collaborate and not fight for resources.

Your current option is to acquire companies and one day the stock witll come back down when you have fully leveraged your capital and your internal systems cannot perform and you cannot execute on a promised road map.

Hire a consulting firm to audit your internal systems. Build internal processes on a separate simple ERP. Once the organization had good timely processes, then focus on the larger road map for customer impacting systems. Intelligent value based consolidation to reduce the technical foot print.

Good Luck!

Great if you want to work in the channel

Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and a valuable learning experience.

Cons

Outdated systems
    Overabundance of mid-level management
    Very niche

get with the times

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Market Development Specialist

Current Employee - Market Development Specialist  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Market Development Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Environment, Flexibility, Pay, Benefits, Perks

Cons

Limited Training, Non Flexible hours

Is not bad

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility, work culture, freedom of thought

Cons

Overwork, no discipline, lack of process

Streamline processes

Terrible experience, I wouldn't recommend my friends and colleagues to come here.

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company is investing in training, not sure if it has to do with training grants for employers.
    Pay is ok if you know how to negotiate but expect to work your butt off.

Cons

My first week, an HR director left-I was skeptical.
    20% turnover or more, in two months after I left, 6 other people within department left.
    Compliance manager was lazy and slow, does not respond to email.
    Company is continuously looking for ways to cut cost and money saving.
    I was advised to not come here but I took the risk and after being on the inside, I would not comeback not even for a million dollar.
    Too much corporate politics, hard to deal with others that are not good at what their doing and have to figure things out on the fly. Too many of those in the company and these folks have been with the company for years. The smart ones come and leave in the first two years.
    Too many to list, my advise is to do lots of research, ask a thousands questions before accept the offer but expect to work here short term.

Why should I give advice to management when they get paid the big bucks and not knowing what the gaps are? Wait..too busy playing politics and collection big pay checks.

Excellent, time well spent.

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great life balance, great company. I had a GREAT boss.

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth, salary growth can be a tad slow.

Keep investing in your associates

A company that does not care about its employee, bottom line first

Current Employee - Senior Purchasing Manager  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Purchasing Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Not much, set schedule if you're lucky enough to work in the right department. If you love politics this is a pro of working at Ingram Micro

Cons

Restructure every couple of years, meaning layoff every couple of years. Just went through another round of layoff even though they just had a record breaking profit year

-Politics, it's not what you know but more who you're buddy buddy with..

-Lackluster environment, office environment still stuck in 1980s, morale is at all time low due to layoff and incompetent middle management

-After 4-5 years you would think their SAP transition would be completed by now but still can't get it right after spending hundreds of millions on the project. Way to re-coup that money, more cost cutting around the globe

-Low wages for the worker bees but overpay on Director and VP level. Tier bonus structure means worker bees get half of what managers will get.

At least to pretend to care about your employee and layoff or cost cutting when times are tough, to do it in record profit year is simply a slap in the face and openly telling your employees you don't give a crap..

Fantastic group of talented workers, Awful executive leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time for more than a year

Pros

By and large, the people I work with are a fantastic and immensely talented group of people. There is a wealth of talent working here.

Cons

The executive leadership is bringing this company into a death spiral. Their idea of cutting costs by $100M is to look strictly at the bottom line and cut the tenured employees, leaving a massive knowledge and talent gap. Communication within the company is non-existent. It's sad that the department that is set to oversee corporate communications has to learn of the company's announcements secondhand from various employees. The company is too focused on increasing its stock price by mergers and acquisitions instead on focusing to fix their internal shortcomings.

With plans to backfill U.S.-based positions in the southeast Asia region (read: The Philippines and India); the company will soon realize that a million button-pushers at a million keyboards will not write Shakespeare for the company. You're creating an environment of fear within your employees which cannot be sustained. We're the world's largest technology distributor. Why is it so hard for us to successfully leverage technology internally?

Good work life balance. Expect to work your ass off - most leave for higher paying jobs once they make mfg. connections.

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Stability
    Honest workplace
    Good place to learn business skills

Cons

Low Pay
    High Stress
    Lots of Office Politics (like all companies)

Increase pay will keep more people on board.

Worked for Ingram Micro? Contribute to the Community!