Ingram Micro

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014

Ingram Micro CEO Alain Monie
Alain Monie

Pros
  • Decent work life balance, great place to learn the IT industry (in 22 reviews)

• Lots of energy, great people and a good place to learn, employees are appreciated (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 7 reviews)

• Seemed to be a disconnect between upper management and entry level employees (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots to learn, with poor direction and communication from above

Former Employee - Buyer in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a lot at Ingram, and met a lot of great people. The company is HUGE, and truly offers the chance to interact with every type of business market out there.

Cons

It's all about the numbers. As soon as they changed service and support to a foreign country, the whole company changed at it's core. A lot of great talent left, or was let go, and we were all reminded that we're just numbers.

Take the pulse of the employees & customers more often, and not just the shareholders.

Inability to implement change

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best reason would be job security, at least for management. Work hard, buy into the corporate culture and you can stick around for a while.

Cons

Reluctance to make meaningful/beneficial changes at the operational level. Change is trumpeted but never really pressed. New programs general fade away or aren't pressed forward over time.

Upper management has lost contact with those working on the floor. Renew that and engage them to drive the culture and changes. Changes driven from the top exclusively tend to be one dimensional and not lasting.

Low margin company

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most jobs are very layback

Cons

Compensation much lower than industry average

Treat your employee as asset not cost

Overall I am satisfied but there are definitely things to improve

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/Life balance - In my experience, everyone I have worked with/for has been extremely understanding and respectful of a true work/life balance

A lot of opportunity to move up and learn more

Cons

I have had 4 bosses in 14 months. Some of the changes were because of a boss moving on, others were because of restructuring which has happened 2 times in the last 6 months.

My job gets very repetitive

Consider upgrading from an archaic batch processing system to a system such as SAP or Oracle that allows for up-to-date data

Good people but low compensation

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a place where you can make great connections and work with talented people. This is a good place to start your career, it will give you the tools you need so you can go elsewhere for higher compensation.

Cons

The compensation is low, there used to be stability which made-up for the low compensation but now that is gone. Too many layoffs and instability. The employees don't believe the changes being made are for the best. Hopefully things straighten out, but only time will tell.

This is more to executive level - If you see that you have a great team, I don't recommend splitting them into other teams.

Market Development Specialist

Current Employee - Market Development Specialist in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Market Development Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work. You get my incentives from vendors. You are not micro managed. A lot of movement after a year in current position.

Cons

Depending on the position, it may be very repetitive work. Training is terrible. No one knows what Ingram micro is until a few months into the jobs because every vendor is very different. Its like 100 plus of different companies working under one building.

Stable company in Buffalo, but management leaves a bit to be desired.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsville, NY

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is employee focused for the most part. Can bring ideas to the table that will be heard and potentially implemented.

Cons

Compensation is not consistent; people doing the same job could be $15-25K apart. Putting people into management roles for sheer convenience rather than based on abilities. No room for growth on the operations side.

Ensure you know the culture and role your associates play and be able to back them up. Don't just put someone into a leadership role because they are visible to you on a daily basis, rather hire the right leadership to help drive the teams.

Enjoyed the people I worked alongside.

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Majority of the associates are hard working people trying to do their job.

Cons

It is like all large companies their concern is not the people.

Need to understand the people who actually do the work.

Review of Ingram Micro workplace environment and culture (Santa Ana location)

Former Employee - Vendor Business Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Vendor Business Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ingram Micro has very talented people that work there. Although they have a lot of entry level marketing and functional type roles, their management is second to none. Very smart people. They bring in young talent and groom them up. They tend to select similar type of personnel in the hiring process. Those that are loyal and looking to collaborate while working hard.

Cons

A con to many might be the pay but the stability is what they offer to their employees. Distribution is a high volume low margin business. Ingram Micro offers great experience and long term employment. You would see people that work there 10 years plus and enjoy being there.

Ingram Micro is a fortune 100 company. They are structure similar to other fortune 100 companies. Their compensation, training, perks, etc,... are in line with most others. They actually offer great benefits for a company with tight margins. Their stock is going up.

Great company, good benefits, very good mgmt, but hard to get promoted...

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very well respected in our industry. Lots of good, professional people. Clear understanding of your role. In the Fortune 100, solid financials, so you don't have to worry about your check not cashing (if you've had that happen, you never take it for granted again!). They are understanding of a work life balance. Company is very charitable, and not for publicity, which I like.

Cons

Don't like what they are doing with the 401K's, they split them into a regular and supplemental plan , this will cost me significant compounded interest . Serious problem long term, might cause me to look for another job.
    Some slackers unfortunately who manage to game the system, which is annoying to us who work hard and take our jobs seriously.
    Very limited chances to get promoted, but that might only be our group

Paying some new employees more than some older employees in base salaries, and you should "true up" the salaries, that's just not fair.