Ingredion
www.ingredion.com Westchester, IL 5000+ Employees

Ingredion Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
Ingredion – US – “ingredion”

Ingredion Chairman, President, and CEO Ilene S. Gordon

Ilene S. Gordon

Extremely rewarding experience with a solid, growing company

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ingredion full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn my experience, hard work has paid off. If you're willing to put in the effort, you will be rewarded. In terms of both promotions and salary increases.
Solid leadership team, striving to improve the talent that already exists within the Company and raising the bar for potential employees.
Growing, global company, which translates into a plethora of opportunities across the world.
Competitive pay, excellent benefits and bonuses. Merit increases accurately reflect the effort that you decide to put into your work, as I will revert to my first point, if you put in the effort, you will be compensated accordingly.
Culture of the Company is changing for the better, as the Company wants to be competitive, innovative, and of course extremely successful while also maintaining the same level of integrity that the Company has exhibited over the last 100 years.

ConsSome pockets of the Company are still affected by ineffective leaders and management. Although, with the positive actions the leadership team has taken, combined with the culture change, this obstacle should be surpassed.
Communication across departments can be challenging at times, with ego's and individuals being unaccountable for their own actions to blame. Along with the first point, I believe this situation will improve with the direction the senior management has outlined.

Advice to Senior ManagementJob extremely well done over the past few years. The ability to grow and increase shareholder value during the most difficult economic times in recent, and even not so recent memory, is admirable.
With that said, I think the only advice I can give is to further develop the great people that work so hard to keep this company successful. Especially when it comes to leadership and management skills. The future of this company depends on the ability of its leaders to motivate and encourage their employees to give everything they have to maintain and surpass the successful path that the Company has already traveled.

Growing company, solid leadership, promising future

I have been working at Ingredion full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood focus on internal development - each employee has a midyear CAREER discussion with their manager where they discuss areas for growth...either within the job or towards a different one. This is one of the only companies I have seen do this.

Solid business model - the leadership does a good job or helping us to understand the strategy and how we each have an impact. All of our goals are actually linked to goals above us, and so on to make sure that everyone is moving in the same direction.

The new brand (Ingredion vs former Corn Products) is exciting and helps to show the company's new focus.

ConsIngredion offers a good work life balance...periodic casual Fridays, summer hours at some locations, and some ability to connect from home. It makes sense for some jobs to be able to work from home more often. Other jobs, it makes sense why that is not possible. Progressing the work from home policy a bit could help. Overall though, this is not a huge Con, as I feel like I can connect from home if i really need to without it being a problem.

Advice to Senior Management- Continue along current path to grow business.
- Communication to employees though quarterly global webinars is appreciated.
- Would love to see more opportunities for Ingredion to get publicity

Growing Company, Competitive Pay, Great Culture

I have been working at Ingredion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Company is known for making acquisitions and growing globally - very profitable.
- Pay is competitive: merit increases are reasonable and significant bonuses are paid.
- CEO is focused on building shareholder value and safety.
- They like to promote within; lots of lateral moves and room to grow..
- The people are very friendly and supportive of your growth within the company.

Cons- Depending on what group you work in, work-life balance may be challenging compared to other groups. It's a con, but this is common for most public companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should continue to devote efforts in developing their team and promoting within the company. It drives the employee to perform at exceptional levels knowing that they will be recognized and compensated for their hard work.

Dynamic company trying to diversify from relying on core business

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingredion full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable employer
Large geographic footprint / global

ConsMaybe too many projects dividing attention
Low risk appetite

Great values, solid performance, bright future!

I have been working at Ingredion full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have enjoyed working at Ingredion for the last several years. The company is involved in many wonderful corporate citizenship / outreach activities throughout the world. I have had the opportunity to progress in my career in part due to the robust process that is in place for employee development. The financial performance of the organization has been very positive - despite the global economic situation. Management takes the long term view and is committed to the success of the company.

ConsHappy with commitment to work life balance that is shown through 'Summer Hours' program at some locations. Could be even better by adding additional flexibility, including telecommuting as more of an option where possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on career development of employees within the company.

Corn Products does not follow their promote from within policy

Bedford Park, IL

I have been working at Ingredion

ProsCorn products employees good people that are generally a pleasure to work with.
Corn products is strong financially, and has a good CEO.

ConsGood old boy club, if you aren't part of it, it is very hard to get promoted.
Pay within company is not equal, same job titles have more responsibilities and pay does not reflect this, the only thing that will move you up or get you higher pay is to be part of the club.
Fake jobs are created for management. A job will be created so they can promote one of the club that already has a promotion coming when another higher up is retiring(without posting the job to others internally), but they don't wait for the real position to actually open. Once the retirement happens, the fake job is dissolved, but they have paid for a fake job and high salary for months.
They don't follow their promote from within policy. Outsiders are interviewed during the promote from within deadline. HR seems to follow what plant management wants to do instead of following policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your employees for the great success they have helped create. Follow policies and corn products values which include integrity, and respect. Drop the dead weight. Stop micro managing and trust the people you hired for the positions they are in, if you can't then maybe its time to find someone else or train the people you have to build your own confidence in them. Review the qualifications of management you currently have, many job requirements are overlooked for those in the club.

Great organization to grow and develop

ProsFinancial success
Organization committed to development (all professionals have career development plan)
Highly focused on continuous improvement, safety and sustainability

ConsNeed to leverage technology more even though we are improving
Benefits are good although some other companies have better medical cost coverage

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on employees development, operational improvement and overall growth. Don't let our success make us complacent.

very insightful into the food industry

Quality Assurance Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ingredion

ProsFrequent employee appreciation lunches and truly feel like a family.

ConsToo much time focused on doing the mundane.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorn Products does an outstanding job but needs more projects catered to interns rather than random assignments.

Competitive pay, solid benefits, growing company

I have been working at Ingredion

ProsStrong values (emphasis on safety, integrity, community involvement)

Focus on employee development in performance system

A stable/ growing company in a solid industry. Has weathered economic downturn well and did not cut benefits.

The Company is moving from a commodity based Ag business towards more of an innovation driven soutions provider - the culture is changing, and for the better.

Good communication from management on direction of company - especially during a large acquisition

ConsHappy with commitment to work life balance that is shown through 'Summer Hours' program at some locations. Could be even better by adding additional flexibility, including telecommuting be more of an option.

Great people and culture, little to no upward mobility and promotion

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingredion

ProsGood people to work with, employees as people are valued and treated fairly well, pay is decent, benefits package is good.

ConsNo upward mobility, no accountability for Director level and higher with regards to if their department is thriving or failing and why. Seen alot of turnover in some departments with no consulting of other employees as to what is going on. Culture is a bit old school and old boys' club mentality, lack of any mentorship by management - just sort of left to your devices and even if you show competitency, tasks are just taken away and you are held back professionally. Sometimes management acts as if its in an upper eschelon 'club' of sorts and that no 'regular' employee could possibly do their job thereby holding people back even though they have decades of experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to develop the staff you currently have instead of hiring outside. I felt that the management didn't respect you if you weren't hired as a manager and favored the phrase "well, you're not 'ready' for promotion". With many employees being long term this cannot possibly be the case for everyone. It is rare to see the commoners become management and if they do, its after being there 9+ years with a ton of ass kissing the right person and begging.

Worked for Ingredion? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ingredion reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ingredion CEO Ilene S. Gordon. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Ingredion employees.