Ink Publishing

Add Photos

Ink Publishing Chief Executive Jeffrey O’Rourke

Jeffrey O’Rourke

Sales Exec Ink Publishing

Sales Executive (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

Prosopportunity to make good money

Conshigh-pressure job with major expectations

Advice to Senior Managementless mirco-managing

And they keep coming, the Honest reviews are not 5 stars or good reviews.

ProsI really don't see any. They managed to make all the good employees to quit!

ConsEverything from the first to the last lie! They just changed the comp plan AGAIN!, Every year is the same thing, they find a way to keep people earning as little as possible. Only management is earning real money, you can see it and they brag about it, their cars, trips, watches, everything. The new comp plan is as follows, if you reach your un realistic goal, you will get up to 5% commission, obviously this never happens so now the potential earning is less than 2.5%. So what is the company doing with the rest of the money in a sale? from the 100% of the sale, they are paying out 2.5%. They really don't know how to manage a company that once was profitable and reputable. They lost KLM one of the mod reputable airlines in the business. The only magazines left they repeat them in the web page so it appears to still have a lot. Where these "new" reviews say is from employees that are not happy or ex-employees who were fired or just didn't know how to do the business is also a lie! People are not happy with all of the ink Kool aid they want us to drink. When ever they see someone trying to get to a certain level of income, they manage to change the KPI's and increase the quota to something unattainable. No one is happy, they talk behind the back of almost all the managers. They are milking the cow. In other offices the people are threaten because of status situations, so they work them as sweat shops until people quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementAre you going to stop writing good reviews just to boost popularity for new employees and actually change? You really don't see you are on a dive to loose everything?

See the other reviews!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNon. Hence the reason why all the professionals that worked there are gone, even the people in Recruiting.

ConsThe only positive comments regarding this company here in Glassdoor were made by the Management and because the so called Chief Inkspiration Officer order them to. No real commitment to employees, they change the commission structure every year, literally. When you start making money, they change it so you can't make more. All the reviews are real, they are loosing titles by the minute. All the good employees already left. Commission structure will always change so you can't make more than 5%. They will tell you about the money spend in more things or investing, but also will tell you about their expensive trips, houses, cars, of course you know is your money and commission that they do not want to pay. I was told they used to pay 15% in one of the old structures, now if you are lucky 6% and that is if you are liked by your manager. And yes, some of senior management ask for sexual favors to female employees. They keep people because they are nice, but kick others in the arse just because you are not performing as before. Constantly threatening for everything and if you are not thinking or doing what they do or want, you are against the company. Completely unprofessional and they take things personal.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange or you will be broke sooner than later.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hell must be a nicer place than Ink

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsShort notice periods so you can be out of your misery after a few days! I guess that´s the best thing about their employment contract.

ConsThe Managers treat you like kids.

They don´t trust you to do a good job but micro-manage you to death.

Expect you to work late in the evenings and weekends to do your lead sourcing.

Poor basic salary.

Commission structure will be changed at will whenever they believe people earn too much (such as 6%).

Yes, they will tell you day in day out that their teams go on great incentive trips whenever they overachieve their targets. They want all employees to be ever so grateful for this. But in the end, they only pay for these short trips by the commission they do not pay out to those who are fired or who resign because they are so fed up with all the bulls**t that goes on every single day.

Don´t expect to see the commission for big series deals as they will only be paid out when the magazines are published. They will not pay out in advance, secretly hoping you won´t be there anymore when the commission is due. Sounds like daft management practice to hope for good bookers to leave? Well, yes, I guess it is daft!

As mentioned by others here: Early morning energy sessions that include jumping up and down, the Conga through the office and many more kindergarten style activities to increase your energy levels before you hit the phone. Oh, did I tell you about the MINIMUM of 2 1/2 hrs on the phone every single day?

In summary: The worst management style and culture I´ve ever come across. So happy not to be working for them anymore.

Fast Paced - Must be Self Motivated - Lucrative if You Can work Hard

Atlanta, GA

ProsExciting environment, with a fast paced attitude. Very Hard work, takes a while to ramp up, but when you're in the groove you can make a decent living.

ConsHuge Turnover, extremely frank management, not your typical "9-5", extremely quick-turn transactional expectations in a tough market to sell into.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter benefits, retirement plan, training, and solid trust between management and employees is crucial to a sales-based organization that would hold a stellar reputation among jobseekers.

No other place like it - this company gives you the chance to perform and rewards you in more ways than just money

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsInk is the world's leading airline media house and shows this with the number and size magazines they publish. The sales floor is demanding, as it should be, and they expect you to work very hard but also allow you to play hard. Where else are you going to get the chance to earn a trip to anywhere in the world, 4 times a year, if your product performs? No limits are put on your performance and you have the chance to be as good as you want to be.

ConsClearly the bad reviews that have been given are by ex-employees who feel hard done by in terms of commission not given to them when they left. It is expected that you work very hard and show the behaviours that have been proven to lead to success and this is not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing the company forward and drive for success at every opportunity. Find people who have the desire and attitude to achieve and we will be even better than we are now. Look at the commission policy of leavers and these bad reviews will disappear.

tough but worth it

ProsInk is relentless, fun, high pressure, certainly never boring. These are either pros or cons depending on you. The very strong company culture employees see every day epitomises its core values and the negative comments are merely written by those who didn't get it.

To most of us, Ink is a tough sales job that will push you beyond your comfort zone. Help is always available if you know where to find it, you just need to look for it.

You won't become a millionaire overnight but your tenacity and work ethic will be rewarded. The travelling is a definitive perk.

ConsThe KPI's can be challenging and hinder your performance depending on your product or style. You sometimes need to take a step back.

Good team, good company

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThe team is good and well managed, with good working practise and good communication. Best of all the technical management are technical. Good investment in skills etc. Other than benefits package a great gig.

Conspersonal training budget not big enough. benefits are really non existent in comparison to other full time technical roles. no health, pension, dental etc.
    office could be quieter.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease training budget, think about a benefits package.

Interesting work with smart people

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsI work in the Ink Technology department. The company as a whole is interesting and exciting. It is growing very fast and is deploying very exciting applications to the market. Few points:
    Very nice people. Good working atmosphere, many people willing to collaborate and help things move forward. Not much internal politics.

ConsInternal systems need attention and investment. Communication between departments could be better. The building needs a new lift

Review From Current Employee in Technical Team

IOS Developer (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsInk may be new to mobile development, but they've got a lot of ambition to create a quality platform and become a big player in airline mobile apps.
    I've learnt a lot of new things that will help with my career, such as TDD, CI and Agile
    The development team are all pleasant, technical, skilled people
    I have a shiny top of the range Macbook
    There's a very flat structure and you are generally free to make your own decisions about how to implement and go about things

ConsThe floor I'm working on is an overcrowded mess
    Although the office is in Shoreditch, which is convenient for me, it's a fair walk from the station
    Doesn't seem like you can carry any leave over between years
    Being new to making apps, directions can change quite quickly

Worked for Ink Publishing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ink Publishing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ink Publishing CEO Jeffrey O’Rourke. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by Ink Publishing employees.