Ink Reviews

51 reviews filtered by
2.8
Simon Leslie/Michael Keating
1 Rating

Pros
  • Fun environment and fast paced, good training, good sales culture (in 3 reviews)

• This isn't a place for slackers - hard work earns respect, advancement and financial reward (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission structure will be changed at will whenever they believe people earn too much (such as 6%) (in 6 reviews)

• Revolving door across departments (in 6 reviews)

1. You Get What You Put In

I have been working at Ink full-time

Pros

Fun people, office & atmosphere
    Work Hard, Play Hard attitude
    Opportunity to grow your own career and be rewarded for what you put into it
    Vision and support.

Cons

It's not necessarily a con, but. sales can be stressful. It's not for everyone and closing = pressure.

Advice to Management

We need more collaborative communication tools. There is so much technology out there available at a low cost. It would be great to see, chat with and learn more from our counterparts across the globe.

Had to live it and see it to believe it!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ink

Pros

Management says there are lots, unfortunately they are not. I have worked here and witness all the sadinkness.

Cons

They make you feel miserable every time they can. If you deliver as they want you to deliver, they increase the budgets and goals to a unrealistic number, so you won't get there. Only if you are a girl and don't deliver they keep you, because they will ask for special favors and some women will agree. In all the offices is the same and they think people don't talk but they do. All the employees share their experiences and talk to each other. In the Atlanta office they use to have 4 magazines, now they say have 3 and is actually 2 if you want to count the "first class" magazine. In London they lost KLM and in Singapore also a lot of titles they repeat in the website so you think they have a lot. They wonder why people are not selling, but never think of asking why we are so demotivated because of all they have taken away from us, like commission. Every year they gather in different parts of the world to "plan" how they will screw the employees and the succeed in doing this, because the commission is lower every time. In the close future we will have to pay them to work here. As other comments state here, stay away like the plague. I'm looking for another position ASAP. If we are so happy why so many lost magazines and people leaving the company????

Advice to Management

Do something new instead of just writing good reviews here, actually change so we don't want to leave!!!

Same bad management across the pond in Atlanta

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice, kind, Pleasant co workers.

Cons

Office culture, (what culture)?. Very poorly priced product. You cannot sell something that cost twice as much as your competitors but has less readership. Print is dying, its a hard sell. Most importantly you are not given proper tools to succeed. Poor computer systems, outdated programs. One of the most disorganized places i have seen.

Advice to Management

Get organized, build a company culture, invest in some resources, update your outdated programs.

Hell must be a nicer place than Ink

I worked at Ink full-time

Pros

Short notice periods so you can be out of your misery after a few days! I guess that´s the best thing about their employment contract.

Cons

The Managers treat you like kids.

They don´t trust you to do a good job but micro-manage you to death.

Expect you to work late in the evenings and weekends to do your lead sourcing.

Poor basic salary.

Commission structure will be changed at will whenever they believe people earn too much (such as 6%).

Yes, they will tell you day in day out that their teams go on great incentive trips whenever they overachieve their targets. They want all employees to be ever so grateful for this. But in the end, they only pay for these short trips by the commission they do not pay out to those who are fired or who resign because they are so fed up with all the bulls**t that goes on every single day.

Don´t expect to see the commission for big series deals as they will only be paid out when the magazines are published. They will not pay out in advance, secretly hoping you won´t be there anymore when the commission is due. Sounds like daft management practice to hope for good bookers to leave? Well, yes, I guess it is daft!

As mentioned by others here: Early morning energy sessions that include jumping up and down, the Conga through the office and many more kindergarten style activities to increase your energy levels before you hit the phone. Oh, did I tell you about the MINIMUM of 2 1/2 hrs on the phone every single day?

In summary: The worst management style and culture I´ve ever come across. So happy not to be working for them anymore.

Sales Exec Ink Publishing

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

opportunity to make good money

Cons

high-pressure job with major expectations

Advice to Management

less mirco-managing

Fast Paced - Must be Self Motivated - Lucrative if You Can work Hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ink

Pros

Exciting environment, with a fast paced attitude. Very Hard work, takes a while to ramp up, but when you're in the groove you can make a decent living.

Cons

Huge Turnover, extremely frank management, not your typical "9-5", extremely quick-turn transactional expectations in a tough market to sell into.

Advice to Management

Better benefits, retirement plan, training, and solid trust between management and employees is crucial to a sales-based organization that would hold a stellar reputation among jobseekers.

8. Chaotic, challenging and often disaffecting

I have been working at Ink full-time

Pros

-Opportunities to work with some of the best people you could hope to work with in various areas of the company
    -A truly great product set that every employee will admit to being proud to be associated with
    -Genuinely being a market leader in airline magazines
    -Beautiful new office in West Hampstead

Cons

-Generally extremely chaotic, priorities can change at the drop of a hat
    -Occasionally challenging to the point of farce
    -Approaches from senior management that range from micro-management to apathy and non-commitment
    -A lack of investment and/or realism in a number of recent projects
    -Turnover of sales staff is often quite high
    -Deterioration of social culture which is now almost non-existent

Advice to Management

The company has a huge amount of potential and there are signs that things will improve after a bad period. Ink are still extremely good at what they do - creating great inflight magazines and selling advertising. But it seems like a real slog getting there and the stresses of delivering under difficult circumstances filter negativity all over the rest of the business. Invest in easing the strain on all employees, particularly sales people. Re-establish some kind of positive working culture, something that has become completely sidelined by ever changing priorities. Invest in projects properly and listen to the experts who advise you. Learn from the the previous Chief Executive's mistakes.

9. This is not for you if you want to get away with it!

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Ink (Less than a year)

Pros

I have witnessed prople going to NY, Boston, Barbados, Jamaice, Rome and Florence that's cool

Cons

Don't join here if you want an easy life. It's hard, sales is hard.

Advice to Management

Do better recruitment, stop hiring people who can't sell, won't sell and want an easy life. Then you will not get stupid people writing nonsense about sales. Wake up and smell the coffee

10. Great people in my team and in other departments. The senior managers are impersonal and forget we're human.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East London (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East London (South Africa)

I worked at Ink

Pros

The product is great; some of the top award winning inflight magazines around. Good people to work with (aside from senior management); lots of travel prizes to be won if you work in sales; great social scene down at the local pub almost everyday; lasting friendships.

Cons

The worst people management known to man; staff are miserable because of this. Senior management have no people skills and only make time for their current favourites.The HR department is poorly run; there is no trust between staff and management. The pay is shockingly low and there are zero perks aside from drinking down the pub.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Treat your staff how you wish to be treated; I'm sure that's with heap loads of respect. If you want to retain good people change your management style or just leave the company so the staff can be happy again.

11. The right place to start working if you are new in London... and a bit desperate!

I have been working at Ink

Pros

t's a tough job environment, after Ink every job will be easier and every company will appear more professional than that.

Cons

I never seen such a crazy turnover like at INK, they believe because is it's tough. The reality? it is not an healty environment at all. You will be surronded by people that doesn't have any idea how manage people, everything is driving by fear. They don't pay your commissions you earn previously when you leave the company.

Advice to Management

I think you should be more professional when you chose sales people.
    You can't believe what recruiters and other media companies say about you guys in Lodon ... If you believe that people are stupid is time to wake up! Bad behaviors attract bad rumors.