Ink Reviews

Jeffrey O’Rourke

Sales Exec Ink Publishing

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ink full-time (less than a year)

Pros

opportunity to make good money

Cons

high-pressure job with major expectations

less mirco-managing

Had to live it and see it to believe it!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ink

Pros

Management says there are lots, unfortunately they are not. I have worked here and witness all the sadinkness.

Cons

They make you feel miserable every time they can. If you deliver as they want you to deliver, they increase the budgets and goals to a unrealistic number, so you won't get there. Only if you are a girl and don't deliver they keep you, because they will ask for special favors and some women will agree. In all the offices is the same and they think people don't talk but they do. All the employees share their experiences and talk to each other. In the Atlanta office they use to have 4 magazines, now they say have 3 and is actually 2 if you want to count the "first class" magazine. In London they lost KLM and in Singapore also a lot of titles they repeat in the website so you think they have a lot. They wonder why people are not selling, but never think of asking why we are so demotivated because of all they have taken away from us, like commission. Every year they gather in different parts of the world to "plan" how they will screw the employees and the succeed in doing this, because the commission is lower every time. In the close future we will have to pay them to work here. As other comments state here, stay away like the plague. I'm looking for another position ASAP. If we are so happy why so many lost magazines and people leaving the company????

Do something new instead of just writing good reviews here, actually change so we don't want to leave!!!

Same bad management across the pond in Atlanta

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ink full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice, kind, Pleasant co workers.

Cons

Office culture, (what culture)?. Very poorly priced product. You cannot sell something that cost twice as much as your competitors but has less readership. Print is dying, its a hard sell. Most importantly you are not given proper tools to succeed. Poor computer systems, outdated programs. One of the most disorganized places i have seen.

Get organized, build a company culture, invest in some resources, update your outdated programs.

Hell must be a nicer place than Ink

I worked at Ink full-time

Pros

Short notice periods so you can be out of your misery after a few days! I guess that´s the best thing about their employment contract.

Cons

The Managers treat you like kids.

They don´t trust you to do a good job but micro-manage you to death.

Expect you to work late in the evenings and weekends to do your lead sourcing.

Poor basic salary.

Commission structure will be changed at will whenever they believe people earn too much (such as 6%).

Yes, they will tell you day in day out that their teams go on great incentive trips whenever they overachieve their targets. They want all employees to be ever so grateful for this. But in the end, they only pay for these short trips by the commission they do not pay out to those who are fired or who resign because they are so fed up with all the bulls**t that goes on every single day.

Don´t expect to see the commission for big series deals as they will only be paid out when the magazines are published. They will not pay out in advance, secretly hoping you won´t be there anymore when the commission is due. Sounds like daft management practice to hope for good bookers to leave? Well, yes, I guess it is daft!

As mentioned by others here: Early morning energy sessions that include jumping up and down, the Conga through the office and many more kindergarten style activities to increase your energy levels before you hit the phone. Oh, did I tell you about the MINIMUM of 2 1/2 hrs on the phone every single day?

In summary: The worst management style and culture I´ve ever come across. So happy not to be working for them anymore.

Fast Paced - Must be Self Motivated - Lucrative if You Can work Hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ink

Pros

Exciting environment, with a fast paced attitude. Very Hard work, takes a while to ramp up, but when you're in the groove you can make a decent living.

Cons

Huge Turnover, extremely frank management, not your typical "9-5", extremely quick-turn transactional expectations in a tough market to sell into.

Better benefits, retirement plan, training, and solid trust between management and employees is crucial to a sales-based organization that would hold a stellar reputation among jobseekers.

7. The right place to start working if you are new in London... and a bit desperate!

I worked at Ink

Pros

It's a tough job environment, after Ink every job will be easier and every company will appear more professional than that.

Cons

I never seen such a crazy turnover like at INK, they believe because is it's tough, the reality? it is not an healty environment at all. You will be surronded by people that doesn't have any idea how manage people, everything is driving by fear.

I think you should be more professional when you chose sales people.
    You should pay commissions even when someone leave the company.
    You can't believe what recruiter and other media companies say about you guys in Lodon ... If you believe that people are stupid is time to wake up! Bad behaviors attract bad rumors.

8. Bad management

I worked at Ink

Pros

Friendly atomospher,work life barance(Everyday finish at 6pm)

Cons

Vague sales commition rule,High pressure, all about money

9. No reward for good good performance

I have been working at Ink

Pros

No micro management, leave you alone as long as the job gets done

Cons

Bad IT infrastructure, no performance review for supporting staff

Do something for non-commercial staff, retend good staff by rewarding them

10. Management FlipFlops

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Ink

Pros

Get to meet lots of new people because the turnover is amazing...

Cons

When you are in the good books of the management, all is good. When you are not, they can be really cruel.

Stop chopping and changing the sales commission and structures. Stop cutting people for the sake of saving a few bucks and to make your books look good. Letting entire teams leave in one go is clearly not good for business. And one word about Jeffrey O'Rourke the ex-CEO (who has just been forced out by the other co-founders, you reap what you sow...). Do the right thing by your employees.

Very bad… Don't waste your time.

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Ink

Pros

Important airlines names like the one i used to work for Ryanair Magazine

Cons

Terrible management, people comes and goes all the time. I worked there 8 months and before i left i was the oldest in the company!

Terrible.