Inmarsat

Intern (Current Employee) Corpus Christi, TX

ProsGreat Pay, great benefits. Awesome 401k plan

ConsLong work hours, Poor communciation

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Overall a good place to work

Pros-Good starting pay
    -Nice Benefits
    -No micro-managing

Cons-No structure when integrating our now 5th company
    -Organizational chart makes no sense. People who have been here for years now report to people in the newest company that was acquired, so employee's bosses are being trained by the employees
    -Many complaints by employees who have worked here several years that they have never seen a raise.
    -Some departments have one or two employees that handle 5 different full time jobs within the company, and it seems to go unnoticed.
    -Possible buddy system.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany people feel stagnated in their position due to the new reorganization, which people who have been here a while and have management/supervisory experience, now report to people in the new company that was acquired who may not have as much experience as their subordinates.

Great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEncourage personal/professional growth, excellent and comprehensive benefit package, management is concerned with employee satisfaction and wellness.

ConsSpread out globally, typical international headaches (time differences, lag in process resolution, etc), low potential for internal advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage employees to "try to be more", I see numerous people stagnating in the same position for 10 years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ignorance abounds, Inmarsat Government

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsRoom to learn and expand your knowledge base with different technologies.

ConsWhere to begin...things are run very lean, those (few) that are knowledgeable constantly have to fight the ignorance and fool-heartiness of everyone else. Currently the "old" guard (segovia) is running the ship into the ground, promotions work on the "buddy" system and have nothing to do with someones actual ability to perform a job. This is a telecommunications company that out-sources all but the most mundane of tasks, with an undying loyalty to the Windows, VMWare, Cisco stack. Pay sucks, and it won't get better any time soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not the 1990's re-frame your solutions to something a post-war military might want, get rid of the fluff. Stop promoting on freind points, it will not improve your business, and the fact that you can control them because of the loyalty they hold is not a positive in the long run. Do some serious team building, a small hand-full of people like where they work and too afraid to speak their mind. Promote and enforce a sense that people can trust "the company" those that are looking for work wont speak up until the last minute because of the absolutely horrid practice of walking someone out when they put in their two weeks. Re-train employees that don't do their job's without threads and coddling and if not fire them, because the ones that are doing their job are beginning to resent the rest.

A supportive company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lafayette, LA

ProsLoyal, Career development, Employee conscience

ConsTypical list of big business issues. No show stoppers

Advice to Senior ManagementMore social and team building activities

Inmarsat Government

Vice President (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsNewly merged company with many career opportunities.

ConsNewly merged company is still settling after merger.

Could be fantastic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFantastic products, wide range of markets and good people at the working level. Great location and a good wok/life balance.

ConsSenior management cannot leave the organisational structure alone and continue to flit one way then the other. Salaries should be better and a lack of attention from management has left morale low.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing with the structure, listen to your employees more and start valuing them. Work on promoting internally rather than believing there is better outside.

Challenging work environment

long term contractar (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat and exceptionally intelligent co-worker to work with; they have in-house canteen & gym facilities.

ConsThe organisation structure is a bit messy and sometimes there was less direction.

Advice to Senior Managementlook after your employee, trust them.

Inmarsat/Stratos

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) St. John's, NL (Canada)

ProsYou can get in the door of the Telecommunications Industry., with good learning opportunities.

ConsIn regards to the Newfoundland office. Favouritism is rampant. Also there are far too many chiefs that is both supervisory and higher management in relation to staff. The number of supervisory and management personnel is not needed. There is also an inordinate amount of time being spent by staff and management equally in non work related past times such as browsing the internet, general chatting amongst both staff and management. A stranger walking through would say there is not enough work to do, and too many people to do the little there is. A great deal could be trimmed here and made more efficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the risk of jeopardizing my own present position within the company, (although I have decided to begin casting feelers out in the industry to move along.) my advice to head office in London would be to transfer all that can be transferred to head office in London where it can be handled more efficiently and with less wasted expense in the long run. I believe the London office is much better equipped and has a much better worth ethic to be brutally honest

Inmarsat review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIntelligent & knowledgable people, will work hard to get things done, multi-cultural, very strong & profitable. pay & benefits are quite good.

Conscompany is becoming divided into vertical fiefdoms with non-aligned goals, strategies & tactics. This is very confusing to customers Staff morale at an all time low.

Advice to Senior Managementmotivate and engage more with your staff, Stop giving people meaningless titles. Get the business units aligned in goals strategies & how they represent the company not just thir fiefdom.

Worked for Inmarsat? Contribute to the Community!