InnerWorkings

InnerWorkings Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

InnerWorkings Eric D. Belcher

Eric D. Belcher

Pros
  • Great place to work before bought by InnerWorkings(in 6 reviews)

• I also really like the casual work environment, it's nice to have that flexibility in between visiting clients(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no growth opportunities and few cross promotion opportunities(in 5 reviews)

• Little fish in a big pond (inside sales)(in 7 reviews)

Enjoyable experience

Presentation Specialist & UI Designer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI Felt welcome right away and was given the right tools for the job. Many companies don't do that. Very casual atmosphere and hours were flexible.

ConsSome frustrations with departments not communicating very effectively and not feeling useful at end of contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication

What a sad state of affairs...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey cut paychecks for people who show up to work.

ConsLack of long-term strategic direction, lack of leadership, lack of morality, lack of competency, lack of value, and lacking the ability to not lack so much.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up

Good to start, goes sour"

ProsInnerWorkings is a great place to start as a stepping stone job. It gets your feet wet in the corporate world with a young environment, a fun culture for a first job

ConsOver work, under paid. Young management leads to mismanagement of situations. A lot of out of nowhere "restructuring" that causes a lot of stress and new policies that constantly shift. 3 Inside Sales VPs over a 1.5 year span of a struggling sales division.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a solid structure, and build on it instead of 'if this doesn't work, we'll try this'.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start

IT Department (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAt Chicago HQ, it's a very young, casual environment. They are publicly traded on NASDAQ and have several Fortune 500 clients which is nice to mention on your CV if you get to work with a large client. Many opportunities available for fresh grads. Walkable from red, brown and purple CTA.

I believe the future outlook of this company is positive and it will definitely grow. Many of the mid-level managers are awesome people to work with.

ConsIf you invest in the 401K you may not be able to take advantage of the "401K match" program until after a year, from which you'd only get a partial employer contribution until after 3 years, I believe. If you're young I suggest you go with the Roth 401K option.

Yearly performance reviews/raise system is very restrictive for managers to give adequate rewards for high performance, so it all depends on your starting salary, unless you get promoted to a different position. For the most part, the company runs lean (which may affect your pay/benefits) and it's probably just part of company strategy. Despite having a solid CEO, I believe the C-suite might be a little out of touch with employee challenges/frustrations.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a rewarding incentive to find and keep star players from leaving the company. Make changes to performance review system so it's not so restrictive for managers to allocate raises. Also, I often overheard resentment with the health plan cost.

Brand Delivery Associates

Brand Delivery Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat group of individuals (Sales Reps/Production Staff) that really do help and work together, providing some morale boosters without the help of management. Decent office perks with a cool office. 600 West Chicago has a cool campus, too.

ConsI was apart of the massive lay-off that occurred in late August. During my short tenure (3-months) with INWK, two of my managers left the organization, a VP of SMB was fired, and the head of training left the organization, as well. With new VPs of SMB, they seem nice, but the entire mood/atmosphere/culture of the organization changed for the worse. No longer were managers doing what they knew how to do, but everyone turned into Micromanagers, pushing for talk time and dials. No longer working with individuals on their strengths, but throwing everyone to the wolves and not caring about their teams.

While I do think that changes needed to be made and a number of individuals were "dead weight", the decisions that were made seemed to be a popularity contest. Favorites of the VP's were made from previous stints with the organizations and it seemed like targets, work ethic, and general office attitude were thrown out of the way. Let me put it to you this way, the VP that fired the group of roughly 40 people, didn't even know most people's names in the room he was firing. All the while, I had multiple meetings and brought him on client conferences and calls. Lines were drawn and a lot of us never had a chance.

As much as I hate to say it, because I think INWK provides a great service, SMB will not be around much longer because of the lack of direction, which I think comes directly from Eric Belcher. I can't seem to understand why co-VP's would be a positive solution to what they have issues with.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the new Co-VP's will end up being the demise of SMB. I can't imagine any solutions that will turn around the taste that has been left by absolutely no management consistency. No one knows anything and it starts by VP's and Corporate (Enterprise) side of doing business. Stop shooting your own team in the foot.

ehhh... good place to get your feet wet

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYoung environment. Good place to get started in sales. You have the ability to run your own book of business and find your own vertical. People are usually pretty willing to help when needed. Team managers have good attitudes.

ConsLots of turnover, management micromanages you team. They don't seem to be getting very innovative when it come to employee investment. They would rather just fire and hire new. Not very effective for morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the big picture of the company and set realistic goals for your teams.

Pros and cons

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsI would have to say that the office was a fairly enjoyable atmosphere. I really enjoyed the people that I worked side-by-side with during my time there - my co-workers were great. And one definite "pro" was the terrific location of the office.

ConsI would say that there was perhaps a little too much pressure to perform. I understand that in sales, you have to sell if you want to succeed, but the pressure was a bit much (for me, at least).

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say, be a little bit more realistic about employee objectives and them achieving them. Having said that, I was only there for a short period of time, so I would take my comments with a grain of salt.

SMB Division won't be around in 2014....

Business Development Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIf you get past the micro-management and yelling as if you are being babysat you see that the coworkers are all good people and get along. Can usually find someone to grab a drink with after work.

ConsToo many to list. Having worked there less than 24mos I had over 8 different managers I had to prove myself to, answer to, and introduce myself over and again to. How can you build relationships and feel comfortable in your position when you are constantly hiring and firing managers, VP's, etc. Not to mention every new manager had nothing new to bring to the company. No new initiatives to improve sales numbers except "they just need to get on the phones more". Not one manager could come up with campaigns and/or initiatives that would separate themselves from the previous manager.

The newest "Co-Vice Presidents" (yes this failing department needs two VP's now) just recently laid off almost half the sales floor as a way to make the floor look profitable for the rest of the year. This was due to "restructuring". Good to know that neither VP live in Chicago so the company is flying them in and putting them up in hotels, per-diem, etc. One of the VP's has an agreement to only be in the office every other week and spends the other half in Florida. Smart idea to have a VP of sales in the office only half the month when the floor is not profitable.

Like previous reviews its a frat house mentality. to succeed you have to be in the inner circle of management or else you're basically just a number on a piece of paper. If you arent in the inner circle don't count on getting any accounts gifted down to you from reps who have left. The rich will get richer and the poor will just get burned and churned.

If you are recent grad this still might be a place of employment to at least get you to the big city. Careful not to sign a lease right away as one of the new guys laid off was on his first true month on the floor and hit his number yet they let him go. Training used to be 5 weeks and somewhat intense, but due to the massive turnover they now cut training to 2 weeks basically just to make sure the new hires can pick up a phone ok. Knowledge of industry is now irrelevant.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm pretty sure i was up front and honest with management when they asked for feedback at the end of Q2 '13 in an anonymous survey in saying there is no advice that will help this division. This company is profitable from the enterprise side. the enterprise is really all the company cares about. The SMB division was an experiment that has failed. Just because INWK is owned by the same investment firm as Groupon, it doesnt mean that the same sales model will work for this industry.

InnerWorkings lays off 25% of it Inside Sales Team

Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYoung environment. Services can be applicable to almost any company so a lot of free reign to call across the US

ConsInnerworkings is a great comapny but this division does not have the tools needed to survive IMO. They are going to come in well under the sales numbers from last year, and are experiencing a ton of turn over currently. If sales reps do not resign on their own will, they just terminated 25% of the entire sales team yesterday. This was deemed a 'restructuring' and was completely out of the blue. Some of those sales reps had verbal warnings, but the large majority had no idea it was coming. One them them was a kid that just got hired 2 months ago and hit all of his sales goals that day. All in all, I do not believe this is a strong fit for a person seeking a career in sales, they just dont have the infrastructure to support good talent, and is why you dont see people sticking around for longer than 6 months on average

Advice to Senior ManagementReally don't know who management will be in the next 3 months. In my tenure at INWK (over one year) when I left we were on the 5th VP of Sales... a team cant win a championship when they have a new coach every 3-4 months.

Stay far away from this disaster if you want to be treated like a human being.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCan't think of any Pros. except they do have some great employee's.

ConsManager's in place that should not be there.
    I know of one of their locations that I think 3/4 of the staff are miserable because of their treatment by management. Most are afraid to speak up in fear of losing their lively hood!
    I'm A professional have been in this business for many years and I've never been treated with such little respect.. A company without A heart. At least at one location.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management in home office needs to know more about what really goes on in
    their other locations before they loose the good employee's they have left! I'm speaking out just in hope that it will help someone else..

Worked for InnerWorkings? Contribute to the Community!