InnerWorkings

InnerWorkings Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

InnerWorkings Eric D. Belcher

Eric D. Belcher

Pros:
  • "Great place to work before bought by InnerWorkings"
    in 6 reviews
  • "I also really like the casual work environment, it's nice to have that flexibility in between visiting clients"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Little to no growth opportunities and few cross promotion opportunities"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Little fish in a big pond (inside sales)"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Run away

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLOL leaving them was a pro for me

ConsThe management is all over the board.
I worked for them for 7 + years.
They are the cheapest when it comes to contribution to health care plans. They had some of the worst coverage anywhere. If you worked in IL you were OK, all their other employees are left with bad programs
They made changes to the vacation policy and my negotiated 4 weeks became 3 weeks because "that is the way it is"
When I began, they prided themselves in that they had so many vendor-partners from which to select. Over the course of time vendors left because of poor payment history, being forced to give discounts, having a foot put on their throat to lower costs..result, crappy partners who did not care about the work
Compensation is a joke...they can always find someone to fill your seat and you are well aware that is their attitude

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone..ANYONE who knows the industry. The top people have less production experience than someone just starting out! When management says "heck, print it in white" to save plate costs due to knock-outs, you know they are a total fraud.

Right arm has no idea what left arm is doing

Inside Sales Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone that comes to mind

ConsComplete lack management competence. Absolutely no communication of vision or goals. Growth of company has only occurred by buying smaller companies in core competency. After acquisition is complete INWK totally disregards valued relationships that had been established by purchased company and in turn loses the business. See stick trend and how it mirrors loss if strategic customers. Worst of all acting CEO found it appropriate to sell stick at height of success knowing several large companies were in the process of firing INWK .

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with each other.

Old School Churn and Burn - Smoking Mirrors - Far from Organic Growth

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time for more than a year

ProsTemporary employment opportunity. Just enough time to research better career path and discover what you do not want to for a living.

ConsBeing forced frequently to listen to "pie in the sky hoopla" as yet another change in direction, management, structure is sent down the revolving door ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees, management staff and investors. Many have been burned believing what you're selling. Read the posts and make the changes necessary to at best curb the resentment.

No Management for Sales

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Newark, NJ

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou go out and prospect. If you bring in business, great. If you don't, you are gone.

ConsThey are very hands off. No support. No training. No management to go to for help. Strictly a lone wolf company. All the salesmen are very territorial. If they hear a lead, they will take it without you looking. GlenGarry Glenn Ross. Management does not care.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more care and interest in your sales people, or just don't hire them.

Run, don't walk, away from this company.

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people, especially at the "junior" levels -- hard working, driven and interesting. Too bad this is the wrong place for them.

ConsNo real strategic direction or vision. Senior management needs to be turned over and rebooted if this place is going to last.

Poor management, and business model is nothing new.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood production folks behind the scenes. The office space in Chicago is very cool.

ConsLacking in vision and competitive edge. Innerworkings is just another print broker. Outlook is dim.

The morals are pretty bad, where competition amongst fellow sales reps and within sales groups is encouraged to a fault. Your accounts are given no protection against management swooping in and taking them for the "benefit of the company."

What is really lacking is a strong team dynamic, where there is enthusiasm for the company, brand, and services. This went out the window a year ago and typically follows the stock price. For example, the company holiday party is two weeks after the holidays in order to save money on the venue.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind better management starting at the top. Invest in your people in the form of training, sales getaways, awards, and bonuses. "Give a boy a fishing line and he will fish for a day, teach the boy how to fish and he eats for a liftetime."

What a sad state of affairs...

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time for more than a year

ProsThey cut paychecks for people who show up to work.

ConsLack of long-term strategic direction, lack of leadership, lack of morality, lack of competency, lack of value, and lacking the ability to not lack so much.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up

Stay far away from this disaster if you want to be treated like a human being.

I worked at InnerWorkings

ProsCan't think of any Pros. except they do have some great employee's.

ConsManager's in place that should not be there.
I know of one of their locations that I think 3/4 of the staff are miserable because of their treatment by management. Most are afraid to speak up in fear of losing their lively hood!
I'm A professional have been in this business for many years and I've never been treated with such little respect.. A company without A heart. At least at one location.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management in home office needs to know more about what really goes on in
their other locations before they loose the good employee's they have left! I'm speaking out just in hope that it will help someone else..

More than Meets the Eye! All Beware

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time for more than a year

ProsThe business model and the talented employee base that have developed the company into a recognizable brand. The Corporate headquarters is also located in Chicago Illinois which is a thriving marketplace to base a national in international approach to Brand Management.

ConsInvestors Beware! Take heed to Danger Zone investment advice. The entire Corporate growth model is based on acquisition. Also, inside sales has experienced huge losses this year and 25% of the SMB sales department was let go, while the remaining staff was offered an incentive to remain. This same staff was used to show investors the strength of the business model and the commitment to small to medium size businesses.

Management staff in Chicago is made up of an internal clique of non-experienced tyrants put in place to quickly show improvement to the SMB division. They are failing! and quickly. Senior management has made promises of improvement but all have resulted in broken promises. Good talent is being loss daily!

I fear an eventual boiler room break up to this company and I am sorry I did not pay attention to all the warning signs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful with your investors, customers and employees. The company is on a downward spiral.

Innerworkings Pro/Con

Print Production Manager (Former Employee)
Plano, TX

ProsPlenty of work/accounts
Bonus having a warehouse attached to branch

ConsPoor quality upper management in Chicago, IL.
Poor quality manager in Plano, TX.
Hostile work environment- manage via intimidation/bullying
Too few employees to cover major accounts

Advice to Senior ManagementInitiate a safe vehicle for employees to share actual work environment
Remove the Plano Branch management

Worked for InnerWorkings? Contribute to the Community!

InnerWorkings – Why Work for Us?

InnerWorkings has quickly become one of the largest providers of managed print and promotional solutions in the world, boasting some of the world's best-known brands as clients. And as a public company with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at InnerWorkings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for InnerWorkings CEO Eric D. Belcher. All 81 reviews posted anonymously by InnerWorkings employees.