InnerWorkings Reviews

Updated April 9, 2015
114 reviews filtered by

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time

Pros

Publically held company with creative financial reporting and C-Level story telling skills. In house legal dept.and access to the financial backing needed to out weather moral, ethical, and legal challenges.

Cons

Being looked directly in the eyes and sold a bill of goods with the expectation to follow suit, knowing the reality of the business model is simply to short the employees, beat down the vendors with price concession demands and contracted rebates all while obviously understanding that there is no superior revolutionary and/or proprietary quoting system functioning to benefit the process or operation. A classic in theory (story told) vs. in reality (daily operations) are dramatically distorted. The print industry is NOT a booming market. It is a rapidly changing market requiring constant education and companies nimble enough to adjust and respond to the new technologies as well as bring these solutions to the end-users.

Advice to Management

Continue to optimize and follow guidelines and timing to sell stock shares.

If you enjoy an entrepreneurial environment, then InnerWorkings is a great place to work

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

So many entrepreneurs have joined the business over the years that it makes a big difference in the types of people you work with. If you are confident in your ability to deliver, then you will love this environment.

Cons

Seems like many of the negative reviews are by the many junior folks hired into the small / medium sized business in Chicago. I don't think that reflects the feelings of the 1,600 employees around the world. Case in point: the NYC office has lots of people who have been with the business for a very long time and genuinely enjoy the environment. I'm sure there are many other offices just like that. Biggest con to me is that you need to be able to work in an unstructured work environment. If you need to be micro-managed, then definitely avoid InnerWorkings.

Advice to Management

Only hire the best people.

3. Great experience

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've had a great experience at my time at InnerWorkings...I was provided the opportunity to take on more responsibility and kind of develop my own career path. I don't know what some of these reviews mean when talking about poor senior management and no career growth. I've had numerous conversations with senior management who explicitly stated their investment in my career progression and allowed me to figure out what I'm great at and run with it. It's hard work, but any rewarding work is!

Cons

The cost of benefits is higher than average, but not unmanageable.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees!

5. Great place to work and be challenged

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are an incredible source of knowledge and support. You are challenged to build relationships with new clients, create a network of reliable and flexible suppliers, and think at 30,000 feet to deliver solutions that are nimble enough to successfully function locally and globally. No where else have I been exposed to so many different business dynamics in a single position. Advancement is not a guarantee like it is in the government, which some have a difficult time with. You have to apply yourself, show initiative, do well, and be entrepreneurial such as finding your own clients to really break out.

Cons

Benefits and time off are the corporate standard. Training and MBA support didn't exist when I was working there. Working for difficult client personalities can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Younger staff retention was 50/50 when I was there due to the challenging workplace and ambiguity of how to advance. Create an outline of a typical advancement within the company starting at entry level to share with new employees so they know what they have to do to move up over time.

Provide training in graphic design for beginner and advanced levels to your production staff and a design station in the office. Don't rely on designers and printers to get it right. Telling a client they have to pay for a reprint more because their designer messed up decays the relationship regardless of who to blame. Provide slightly additional compensation to those that complete those training levels and show competency. Then you can charge the client for changes rather than passing revenue off to the design firm or printer. A couple hundred employees making small design changes over thousands of jobs can be a sizable amount of revenue.

Provide MBA compensation for staffers that want to become business managers and executives.

Keep on looking for a job don't waste your time here!

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many of the Co Workers I made friends with.

Cons

Very Poor Management, have camera's right over you very distrusting. Need management that cares more about their people. One high up manager made comment that he wanted his staff all to be under age 50.

7. Started off as a great place to work....

Current Employee - Production Manager
    Current Employee - Production Manager

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will work with a great group of people who will "feel your pain". They are extremely smart and ambitious

Cons

Career advancement - none. Very few company perks. I suppose I should just be happy with getting my salary while giving the 150% that is being asked of me.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people...it isn't always about money. Show that you recognize the work they are doing, have their back and make sure they know it.

InnerWorkings Response

Sep 4, 2014

Thanks for sharing your feedback! We know that things like company perks and opportunities for career advancement are key to an employee's happiness. As a result, we've implemented new systems and ... More

Cattle Call, hire and fire

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dress code is laid back, great food trucks outside the office. Free shuttle transportation is convenient with the shuttle bus (to Union, Oglvey, downtown, Red line, Brown line.)

Cons

Upper management is always changing. You'll have to move desk every other month. Everyone secretly hates it, but never leaves.

9. Unstable work environment

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Long, paid training period. Good benefits.

Cons

No consistency. You switch sales teams, desks, and managers on a monthly basis. There seems to be no vision to how the divisions show be run and maintained. No real room to advancement.

10. Great place to be

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of energy, fast pace, opportunity to come in, be heard, learn, and grow no matter your role. Office culture is fun, smart and accessible.

Cons

Benefit costs are incredibly high.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on sharing news, information and updates with us. It is motivating.

11. Fun company with interesting business model.

I worked at InnerWorkings

Pros

Fun environment; executives and chair people sit nearby; very social, hard-working coworkers; earned tremendous work experience.

Cons

Tough pay scale, not much help for struggling employees, churn and burn mentality.

Advice to Management

Invest more resources toward employee development.