Innosight Reviews

3.8
Scott D. Anthony

1. Excellent culture, leadership

I worked at Innosight

Pros

- high impact, interesting projects - intelligent, quirky, interesting colleagues - better work-life balance than most consulting firms

Cons

- less well-known consulting brand - located out of downtown area - still some travel

2. So lucky to work at Innosight!

Current Employee - Manager in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Innosight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits - Innosight pays 100% of it's employees health and dental, which is phenomenal! They match 401K contributions (up to 6%) and offer very competitive bonus and profit sharing. Also, they kick-in $250 towards Flex spending and offer solid reimbursements toward gym memberships. Compensation - Innosight pays only slightly less than very large firms and roughly 15-20% more than Consulting Firms of a similar size. Work/Life balance - Excellent! There are of course busy times, but on the whole, Innosight is very conscientious about time spent on projects. On a personal note, one of the members of my family is battling cancer and Innosight has shown me nothing but support and understanding. They have offered me time off, coverage and endless amounts of encouragement. I know they're behind me and will be supportive of whatever I need. I don't think I could say the same thing of any other employer I've worked for (I've worked in NYC and Boston for 5 employers). Access to Senior Leaders - Partners and Senior Staff are incredibly down to earth and approachable! No one is intimidating and I feel comfortable going to anyone with questions or with an update. They're incredibly smart and well rounded, but never arrogant. I find it refreshing. People - Very bright, down to earth and uniquely quirky. My colleagues are incredibly talented. Everyone brings to the table some interesting hobby or skill. You wouldn't know it right off the bat, since folks are modest, but the more you talk with people, the more you recognize the depth and diversity of interest and skill set. Feedback - I'm very satisfied with the amount of feedback I receive. Innosight has formal mid year review and end of year reviews. I've also receive real-time feedback on better ways to approach/solve problems, which is appreciated. Events - Innosight has a Social Steering Committee (a mix of internal staff and consultants) who have a budget and are responsible for throwing events, both inside and outside the office. We've had some truly unique events. My favorites include mechanical bull riding, weekly happy hours, sumo wrestling, wine tastings, white water rafting, snow tubing and weekly yoga. Flexibility - Innosight is not a "face time" culture. What matters to management is that you get your job done well and in a timely manner. I've heard a few co-workers complain here and there about this or that. I always want to tell them, "go work anywhere else and then see if you complain about Innosight!"

Cons

Evolving Firm - This is both a pro and a con, I suppose. I would describe the office as fluid and progressive. If you are very structured and want a policy in place for every single request, Innosight is not the employer for you. Location in Lexington - I've always worked in the heart of a city, so working in the 'burbs is a change for me. That said, Lexington is beautiful and there's good shopping and dining within 1-4 miles of the office. Long story short, I'm adjusting.

Advice to Management

Despite busy schedules, please continue to make a push to participate in company events.

A sad place to work

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Innosight

Pros

For new consultants, a great place to work for 2 years or so, learn about innovation and consulting, and then move on. On the professional staff side, a great place to work in general. Better than industry norms: - Unpaid leave policy (e.g. ability to take time off to pursue your passions) - Vacation Consistent with industry norms: - 401K - Benefits - Profit Sharing

Cons

Innosight as a firm is largely out of touch with its employees in a way that is surprising given who the firm is. We have an effort focused on developing or redefining the employee value proposition (a good thing), but it is being led by the most out of touch Senior Partner at the firm. The result is that there is a filter on communications where they only hear what they chose to hear and ignore anything that challenges their beliefs. Communication becomes very frustrating. Salaries at Innosight start close to on par with other consulting firms (maybe 15% less of around $120K vs. $135K at other firms), but this gap widens as you move up. A promotion at Innosight is typically an additional $10K per level. Bases for promotion are unclear and random - with decisions often in contrast to our espoused values - and a chaos or randomness to the process despite the 50 or so dimensions of performance we are evaluated on. Tradeoffs used to make sense given better lifestyle, but that has now gone away. Recently, we've undergone a brain drain with a number of people departing Innosight for Red Star Ventures, and more of us likely on our way in January. Other folks have left too at a pace far exceeding industry norms (as in the denominator is # of consultants, not # of personnel total) Unfortunately, we are not particularly good at recruiting to replace this talent. For example, we frequently promise new talent rapid promotions (6 months) only to conveniently forget at the time and most people will be asked to take a step backwards in their career to join. Best career advice for outsiders - become a partner somewhere else, then lateral into Innosight since that seems to be the best way to accelerate your career. The firm is built around the partners in a way that is unlike any other consulting firm. We have a consultant to professional staff ratio somewhere around 2 consultants (from all levels) to 1 professional staff. We also have two planes and two pilots on staff. Collectively, this creates an outsized overhead that cramps upward opportunities. We are asked to all be leaders, but the firm doesn't really understand what leadership means. At Innosight, leadership means conformity; there is an Innosight Way that is rightly or wrongly not up for debate. The funny thing about Innosight is that when you are here, you surprisingly won't find a company that feels like it is going to double in four years - but more like a firm that is plodding along - it sucks the energy and creativity out of you.

Advice to Management

We are a small professional community and despite your best efforts, we all talk openly.

Partner-driven projects limit professional development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Innosight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great potential with no horizon for realizing that potential. Family-focused culture that provides more flexibility than other strategy firms. The most talented and engaged people you will ever meet. Strong firm focus on impact, but staff do not perceive that impact is consistent.

Cons

Highly judgmental, weakness-focused culture, where career trajectories can change overnight, based on one partner or principal's perspective. Partner-driven culture limits personal growth and is stifling to those with any amount of professional experience or perspective on the growth opportunities that a consulting role should provide.

Advice to Management

Recognize that you are hiring the best of the best talent, and treat them accordingly. Recognize their strengths and previous experiences. Give employees room to grow, lead and most importantly, make mistakes. Current culture does not reward initiative or learning on the job. Stop allowing senior management to blame junior staff for their poor management abilities.

Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I worked at Innosight full-time

Pros

- You will be working with incredibly smart, and mostly very nice people - Very family oriented as most of the Partners and Principals have families, so family obligations like being home in time to have dinner with your kids, are respected, as long as work allows - but don't kid yourself into thinking it's a 9-5. It's more like a dinner break, and you continue working from home, sometimes into the wee hours of the morning. - Good compensation and benefits - Company constantly tries to improve, and employee feedback is listened and at least sometimes, acted upon. Innosight is a performance obsessed place, so employees always have to be constantly improving themselves, but in return the company as a whole also tries to continually improve its own processes and its relevancy and competitiveness in the market

Cons

- Forget work life balance. The old review saying this is a company that allows for work-life balance is outdated and absolutely no longer true. Employees are told not to say that we are 9-5 anymore during interviews because this is not the case. It is consulting hours, 60++ a week if not a whole lot more, with lots of travel (although probably still less than traditional consulting firms). - Company is performance obsessed, and as one Innosighter so well put it "It takes some of the most brilliant, talented people, and then beats them up and makes them feel like crap about themselves." Morale and self-esteem can take a very deep dive here, as your weaknesses and "areas of improvement" are put under a magnifying glass and sometimes exploded to disproportionate lengths. People will notice and criticize even the smallest of things (e.g. whether you wait for the entire team after you get off the plane at the home airport, or just head off to go home, whether you help clients/partners with their bags, whether you used the preferred color scheme of the partner in your powerpoint deck, etc - in fact, even using "etc" is criticized as a form of laziness). And even after you improve on your so-called "areas of improvement," you are rewarded with another set of "areas of improvement" to work on because of the "need to show progress." As a result, there is a lot of performance anxiety, stress, and dare I say, general unhappiness amongst the ranks (although the unhappiness also stems from other factors like over-work). - One case or one person can make or break your career. The company is small, and getting on a "bad" case and/or working under someone whom you just don't gel with, can completely break your career here. That said, if you get in good with the right person, your upward progression can be very quick. People with a long tenure here are given some slack, but the newer comers are "only as good as your last case." - Culture has definitely shifted from feeling like a small family doing innovative work that people are passionate about, with people who genuinely like and respect one another, to a mini-McKinsey (but without the resources and prestige). The former Managing partner Matt Eyring left, and what we call the "McKinsey camp" has been winning out ever since. Making us colder, and much more rigid and process oriented. The new Managing Partner Scott Anthony is all the way out in Asia, and so doesn't have as good a pulse on the goings-on in the mothership. He is also a former McKinsey person, another reason for the move towards being more of a McKinsey. And as another reviewer wrote, "If I wanted to work at McKinsey, I would work at McKinsey."

By far, the best company I have ever worked for. The opportunites for growth and personal development are endless!

I have been working at Innosight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Outstanding benefits and compensation. Excellence performance is always recognized and rewarded. Great coworkers and very focused employee oriented envirorment. The office is awesome!

Cons

Very fast paced environment and the workload can require working long hours, but that's part of working for a small company and again strong performance is always recognized.

Advice to Management

I believe Innosight has some of the smartest individuals in the industry managing the company and have 100% trust in the goals and strategies they are driving.

Losing a lot of its uniqueness

I have been working at Innosight full-time

Pros

- focus on innovation - interesting problems - chance to get decent exposure starting out - great set of peers - starting salary good

Cons

- work life balance no where near what it was - struggling to grow and elimination of profit sharing - increasingly like every other firm - salary trajectory not on par

Advice to Management

- if I wanted to work at McKinsey I would work at McKinsey

9. Excellent atmosphere, very smart people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at Innosight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innosight had a great "work ethic" for a consulting company -- there was no such thing as "face time." Projects were tackled with gusto and brilliance.

Cons

At the time the company was going through growing pains. They needed to transition from a 3-partner governing unit to just one managing partner.

Advice to Management

Your operations (human resources, office management) needs to be more efficient.

Unique, evolving and unconventional!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Innosight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent compensation/benefits. Flexible work schedule. Large bonuses. Matching 401K and Profit Sharing. Paid for health, medical and dental benefits. Firm is always trying to improve.

Cons

Office is a bit quiet. Located in Lexington, not Boston. It can be a bit gossipy. Can be tough to get top-down feedback.

Fun, Fast Growing Innovation Consulting Firm That Genuinely Cares About Its Employees"

Current Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Innosight

Pros

- Growing at 50% or so year over year. Amazing career potential as firm opens new offices and acquires new clients. - Extremely interesting projects (new business development, innovation capability building, etc.) - Diverse, genuinely passionate co-workers and management. VERY entrepreneurial culture. - Just the right about of travel. Work out of office instead of at client, except when traveling on average 2-3 times per month. - A TRUE work life balance. 9am - 6pm when not traveling. Flexibility to do - Comparable pay to other top tier firms such as McKinsey, Bain, BCG, etc., but with about 50% less hours (per hour compensation is nearly unbeatable)

Cons

- Less training and feedback than Big 3 (McK, Bain, BCG) - Potential for fast growth to weaken talent and culture, hurt work/life balance, and diminish quality of work (don't think it will happen though) - Watertown location and new office in Lexington, MA not ideal. Need higher profile, downtown offices in multiple locations. - Industry diversity: most projects in CPG, Financial Services, and Healthcare. Need to expand into new industries.

Advice to Management

Don't grow too fast. It could hurt the firm in the long run. Continue to maintain work/life balance for employees despite growth. And keep up the good work!

RSS Feed </> Embed