Innospec Reviews

2.3
Innospec President and CEO Patrick S. Williams
Patrick S. Williams

1. No work life balance but invest in your future

Pros

Company paid benefits for entire family (except dental employee only), not great coverage but premiums paid, 10 paid holidays, pension & 401k match (vested after 3 years) & quarterly bonus.

Cons

12 days PTO/15 Max after 3 years, no roll over which is awful, have to dress up most of the week, location, horrible communication, you will get ignored most of the time if you bring up an issue. Many of the higher ups won't acknowledge you. Expect you to be available all the time & you do 3 people's work for 1 person.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to do the jobs. Stretching employees thin and not offering enough time off really wears a person down. More PTO that rolls over. Offer more work from home options so many people are more efficient not standing around talking.

Innospec is a fast-paced, challenging, work environment with plenty of opportunity to gain valuable experience.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Englewood, CO

I worked at Innospec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and changing a lot right now. It's a very interesting niche in a booming industry, which makes it exciting and fun most of the time. You'll never be staring at the clock or waiting for your phone to ring; that goes for everyone in the office, no matter what role you're in. If you're looking for a place where you can maximize your potential and productivity - it's here. For the most part, salaries are competitive and the benefits are excellent. The senior level executives are awesome, but they are rarely there and travel a significant amount - if I had worked directly under any or all of them, I would still be there.

Cons

My experience with my manager was the main reason I left Innospec, although that wasn't the only factor. In all honesty, I was taken advantage of there and treated really poorly for a reason I still don't understand. My direct supervisor was unhappy with my performance, while I was receiving very positive feedback from everyone else I was working with daily (the senior level executives?). My manager wouldn't communicate with me at all, which was extremely challenging and frustrating, and that overpowing issue ultimately confirmed my decision to leave. Aside from that, the company culture wasn't for me either. During my short time there, people were in and out of the company constantly; a big red flag for me. The company is also lacking a solid HR role in the Denver office, so as it faces common issues that are inevitable in any workplace, it's without a proper platform to address or resolve any type of conflict among it's local employees. Stress, tension and frustration consumed the office, and it became clear that I needed to move on and build my career in a more conducive, team-oriented environment. Despite some negative experiences there, I would work for Innospec again if it promoted a better work environment.

Advice to Management

I know from personal experience that Innospec has the potential to be a better company. Unfortunately, it's lacking some key elements that leave it's employees unhappy at the end of the day. The environment is neither supportive nor cohesive; leaving every man for himself. It's both inefficient and discouraging for it's employees, customers and ultimately, it's investors. I don't think any company can reach it's full potential without preparing to combat internal problems like these. Innospec's HR department uses only the most basic functions, and could benefit from expanding it's practices. Employee education and training programs, community building events, employee relations platforms and performance improvement plans are just a few other HR functions that I would hope to see Innospec ulitize in the future.

3. Innospec Intern

Former Employee - Lab Intern in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Lab Intern in Newark, DE

I worked at Innospec part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work experience. Gets you used to working under deadlines. Were very accommodating when comes to scheduling work hours and time off. Great work atmosphere

Cons

Work can sometimes be tedious and repetitive.

5. Working at Innospec

Former Employee - Itd in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Itd in Chicago, IL

I worked at Innospec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UK staff in general are very friendly and nice and approachable. Staff have been there on the whole quite a long time and they are very loyal and committed to what they do. Company is trying to reinvent itseld after very negative press which is difficult and an uphill battle. On the whole they appear to be winning this slowly.

Cons

Senior management are very archaic in their views of people and the benefits that they can bring. For example they do not invest in people in terms of development and well being. If people wanted the organisation to participate in the cycle to work scheme they would not support this as people should - buy their own. The same for investing in some gym equipment. Staff must be on site for 8.38 and get 36 minutes for lunch which harps back to some old thing about the traffic light timings and no one wants to change it - time to get with the flexible working era and invest in your staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff not just pay lip service, join the flexible working era.

6. Disappointing!

I worked at Innospec full-time

Pros

Friendly Team Members, excellent Technical Staff! Good Salary and Benefits even during recession. Job is interesting and demanding and a joy to do!

Cons

There are some really bad apples in the organization! Information passed along departments (except Technical) is made invalid by everyone choosing to share half the truth. Job quickly deteriorates to 20% of the time, while 80% is spent in managing politics! If you fail to manage politics and concentrate on your real job...then double standards quickly force you towards ejection! Most tasks are last minute and urgent without need...and most serious concepts such as teamwork, contribution, leadership, prowess are Clichés!

Advice to Management

Burn the Rot...step into the 21st century!

Not fun.

I have been working at Innospec full-time

Pros

Free healthcare. Yep, zero premiums. Working for an oil company in a recession has benefits. Comfy office and nice co-workers. High pay is awesome.

Cons

Constant redirection, ensuring you can't get things done. Unrelenting stress about everything. It's all an emergency. If it isn't yet an emergency we will cut the time allotted in half to make it one. There are exactly zero 'second' priorities.

Advice to Management

Ask a good question. Listen. Synthesize that with other pieces of information you paid attention to. Don't refuse to know about things outside your job, because EVERYTHING is your job at that level. If you purposely stay ignorant on IT, customer service, warehouses, plant manufacturing processes, R&D, sales possibilities, etc... how will you make good decisions to drive the company forward?

RSS Feed </> Embed