Innovative Interfaces, Inc Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
57 reviews filtered by
1.8
Kim Massana

Pros
  • Extremely nice and talented co-workers (in 3 reviews)

• Very dedicated, smart employees who really care about their customers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • the new management just doesn't care about the employees (in 6 reviews)

• Private equity move has stripped library focus from all levels of management (in 5 reviews)

Not really that bad

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc

Pros

- Excellent work/life balance. There is almost never a call to work nights or weekends.
    - Coworkers are friendly and knowledgeable. I like coming to work.
    - Libraries are still important, so the work is important.

Cons

- Executive management just can't get out of their own way, creating problems where none existed previously for no good reason.
    - Product quality suffers from a lack of modern development practices and technology.
    - Generally not a place to grow your career.

Advice to Management

Find someone with a lick of common sense and run your ideas past them before carrying them out. This would have avoided the UPTO fiasco, the holiday bonus debacle and any number of other boneheaded moves.

Knowledge not valued

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc

Pros

Coworkers are very helpful and kind.

Cons

This company bought and reorganized another company. In the reorganization, several long-term and knowledgeable staff were terminated, leaving remaining employees struggling.

Local company with values turned cash cow for investment firm.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Despite the fact that they have laid off many, and many more have left of their own accord, there remain some very passionate and driven employees who were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

I have never before seen first hand greed destroying so many peoples' lives.

Advice to Management

Quit. You are the problem. Sell the company back to Jerry, or at least sell it to a company that cares about their employees. Seriously, I wish you had any sort of conscience, then this would be the obvious move, before you ruin what little is left of the company.

Sinking ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fantastic non-management personnel were a wonder to work with. The initial vibe I got when I first started was that everyone was there to help everyone out and I would actually move up with the company.

Cons

The organization change routed me into a dead-end position not related to the career path I had originally envisioned. High-profile personnel started resigning, upper management and the executives started laying off other personnel resulting in missing information about important systems and forcing individuals into roles that they should not be in.

Advice to Management

Remove the dollar signs from your eyes and listen to the employees. This company stayed afloat for 30+ years without the help of private investors so throwing money at a problem won't make it better.

Innovative Roller Coaster

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some outrageously talented, dedicated, and sincere people working in this company. As other reviewers have noted, many good people have left due to the corporate situation but the cadre that are still standing continue to reflect a population that cares about libraries and wants to work to develop and support products that make the industry better.

Cons

The problems here feel insurmountable at times. Morale is a huge problem. Talent drain and the inability to stem the continued loss of key people is another huge factor. Really bad inter-departmental relationships create a culture of constant, "no, not enough resources" and CYA behavior which is not only frustrating but also inhibits any chance of building a collaborative environment to work through issues together. Add in a cup instability and fear, two heaping spoonfuls of stress, and a heavy dash of bitterness and you pretty much get the idea of what it has been like to work here the past few years. Are these problems unique to Innovative? No, but that doesn't mean these are problems employees want to, or are willing to put up with in the long term.

Advice to Management

There were a lot of people in the wrong upper management positions, many of whom came in with the attitude that this industry is just like every other specialized industry. While that may be true in a lot of respects, that doesn't mean a "one-size-fits-all" solution will work for this company or market. A lot of them are gone now and I have some pretty high expectations from their current replacements (I am looking at you, development, support, and sales). Do your homework. Find out what your employees actually do and what they need to do their jobs better. Treat your employees with respect and maybe we will learn to trust and respect your decisions, policies, and ultimately your leadership. I really hope we finally have the right team of people. I want to be proud of the work I do, the company I work for, and not have to side-step the question when people outside the company ask me if I am satisfied with my job. Maybe this is a tall order and my expectations unrealistic; I am still putting it out here anyway on the off chance ya'll might read this or actually care enough to listen.

Bring back Jerry ....

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc

Pros

Maintenance dollars still roll in because most customers don't understand that if they go out to RFP they'll save at least 30% on their annual maintenance even if they have no intention of leaving.

Cons

Former CFO ripped off the company for millions because the CEO was too focused on his own self promotion like his blog which he didn't write one word of and protecting his $6+ million in options. Needless to say the current CEO (Kim) knows little about running anything, if he'd been paying attention the company wouldn't be in the toilet bowl like it is.

Advice to Management

Hey Kim you are well on your way to another accolade as the worst CEO ever....nice job!

Was a good place...

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc

Pros

Good mission--serving libraries!--and nice people...

Cons

who were mostly laid of by the new private equity owners. Watch for them to sell out soon, they've almost wrung out all the money.

Advice to Management

Enjoy St Tropez

Depressing, frustrating place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm surrounded by smart, nice, hard-working colleagues who genuinely care about libraries. Unlimited PTO plan.

Cons

I chose to work at Innovative shortly after graduating library school because it felt like a family business and not a corporation. I believed I could still serve libraries by working here, as the company culture was centered around helping libraries. After the company was sold to private equity a few years ago, everything went downhill. Multiple major layoffs in a short period of time eroded any trust employees had for the executive team or board of directors. The employees who remain still care about libraries, but we are deprived of the resources needed to do our work effectively and serve customers in the best way.

Advice to Management

Employees want to feel as though their work is meaningful. When your corporate culture is built around increasing profits at all costs, employees are left feeling demoralized and undervalued. It's hard to feel any company loyalty or pride when I feel as though my company would replace me in an instant if it could outsource my work overseas and save a few bucks.

Started Out Rad, Ended up Sad

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started there were some incredibly talented, passionate and generous folks both in management and the general workforce. The work load was reasonable and I thought the mission of supporting libraries was very noble. For many years I didn't realize that we were actually quite powerful and respected for the size of the company and the cost or our products. Even when I disagreed with management decisions, I didn't feel like I was being taken advantage of with respect to work-life balance.

Cons

When I left, all of the soulful people had departed, most of them voluntarily. The general demise began with the sale of the company to private equity. At the beginning, it was an exciting time. New leadership, new goals, new products & new investment. There seemed to be an atmosphere of change that was good for everyone. But that didn't last for long. The combination of layoffs, low market rate salaries (unless, I'm guessing, you are an executive), outsourcing to India and unrealistic job loads has made the place miserable, at best.

Advice to Management

Develop an office culture of learning, sharing and respect. If a sale is in the future, get on with it and let Innovative make great software for libraries. How about hiring executives who know software and who have knowledge/respect in the library universe?

Not a place for healthy job

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc

Pros

Long-term employees dedicated to libraries

Cons

Very bad senior management, especially CEO

Innovative Interfaces, Inc Photos