Innovative Interfaces, Inc

2.0

Kim Massana

Was a good place...

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc

Pros

Good mission--serving libraries!--and nice people...

Cons

who were mostly laid of by the new private equity owners. Watch for them to sell out soon, they've almost wrung out all the money.

Enjoy St Tropez

Not the same company it was a few years ago

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Customers are the best. Working with and for libraries is a great way to spend a work day. Many great co-workers.

Cons

Pay is a bit on the low side for a tech firm, unless you're in upper management. We used to get a holiday bonus but that is a thing of the past. I used to know almost everyone in the company, but now people come and go at an alarming rate. So many of the people that have gone were amazing, valuable resources. We have a truly lousy ticketing system that might get replaced someday - too bad they didn't listen to us when we told them how bad it was before they bought it! I used to be really love my job, but it's getting harder when you are underpaid, under-appreciated, and you know management would replace you in a heartbeat if they could find someone to do the work for less. If it weren't for the wonderful customers that I get to work with, I'd be gone from here.

Stop the layoffs. Pay better. Reinstate our holiday bonus.

If you care about libraries, look for employment elsewhere.

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in North Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in North Syracuse, NY

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent customers, smart co-workers, and interesting problems to solve. Innovative and the companies that it has taken over recently used to represent the finest software and customer service in the library industry.

Cons

Since the takeover by Huntsman Gay Global Capital this company has lost its direction and pursuit of excellence. Current management does not understand, or care to understand, it's customers, it's industry context, or the truly innovative software that it owns. Management does not feel any responsibility to live up to the expectations of its customers or employees.

Frankly, it is obvious that the equity company that bought these companies were in it for the maintenance dollars, not to build software that helps librarians to serve their communities. They will milk these companies dry, sell out, then leave the fallout to the folks on the other end of the sale.

You won't have much of a future if you work here. If you looking for a place to build something that lasts or matters, this place is not for you.

Sell this company. The library industry is not a place that will make you rich. Admit you made a mistake, and get out, as soon as you can. Your customers, your employees, and the library community will thank you for leaving. Open is not just a word on a PowerPoint, it's the condition of the door we are holding for you to walk through.

Used to be a good company

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are great, and really care about the library space. Good mixture of programmers and librarians. Commute is easy if you live in the Oakland/Berkeley area.

Cons

Once the company was sold, it really diminished in quality. Low morale, layoffs, lots of talented people quitting, and losing sight of the mission statement became the norm.

I can see some managers are trying to do more for the employees, but they have a long road ahead. Too many mistakes were made, and it shows when new management doesn't understand library products or the customers, who are awesome.

CEO has $7M Options ...... Enough said!

Current Employee - Director in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good customers, those that are left. CEO is destroying the company and is way out of his league. Why the PE guys have keep him around shows they don't have much of a clue either.

Cons

CEO lies, hides things and will step on anyone to protect himself and cashing out on his $7M options. This is a bad place to work.

If you had any shred of decency you'd step down. But as many of us know who've worked for you ethics are void from your character.

Stay away

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc

Pros

The few old timers that are left are wonderful. The customers are wonderful.

Cons

Management is working as fast as they can to demolish the company. If you work here you will be overworked, underpaid and not valued. This is true at all levels. By no means take a job at this dying company. Very sad.

Fire yourselves.

Once a great company, now just a cash cow

Former Employee - Administrative in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Primary mission, To Help and Improve Libraries, a worthy goal
    Intelligent, committed, enthusiastic employees who really believe in what they do
    Management decisions based on what seemed best for the company and clients
    Salaries are good compared to the rest of the library universe

Cons

Since their purchase by investors, helping libraries seems an afterthought
    Many employees have been laid off, many others have quit , whoever is left works two-to three times harder
    Management decisions are based only on the bottom-line, with no thought to eventual consequences
    Salaries are terrible compared to the rest of the software universe

Remember why the company was purchased in the first place. They became successful through actually helping their clients. Changing that is why you're having trouble now.

If you have work available for 300 people, stop trying to make 200 people complete it.
    (The other 100 seem to be upper management, so what you do doesn't really count as "work".

Since most of the viable practices have been changed/removed, stop blaming the employees for your bad decisions

Once a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I can't honestly say there are any pros to working here.

Cons

Under the former owner this was a humane company; not perfect, but what company is. Then, after the sale it was slash and burn. A very lot of loyal staff were tossed.

FIre yourselves

Change is good. The new talent is making a difference.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company in going through allot of change. For many that's unsettling and they don't want to be a part of it. But with two recent acquisitions and all of the integration activities, changes are a necessityt. I think the changes being made are refocusing the company and the start of something new and very exciting.

The company and the management will give you as much as you want to take on and will provide you with the support to succeed.

Cons

Long hours for now!!! But we're building our own future.

Keep up your efforts of improving communication. It's tough, things don't change over night - but you''e doing the right thing, you have good intentions, and eventually that is what everyone will see.

A great company

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A great company with good people

Cons

Need to improve employee morale

Innovative Interfaces, Inc Photos