Innovative Solutions Reviews

Updated December 11, 2014
13 reviews filtered by
3.5
Robert Titus

1. A wonderful company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Innovative Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management staff truly cares about their employees. I started working at Innovative Solutions as a fairly young professional, a bit unsure and inexperienced. My Director and colleagues helped to provide me with the knowledge and expertise to grow and excel not only in my position at Innovative, but in my career. The staff is friendly and has a work hard play hard mentality. Had I not been offered a position in my dream industry I would've stayed at Innovative Solutions much longer. I recommend the company at every chance given to me.

Cons

Honestly, there was nothing that I disliked about working here.

Overall a Great Company; well-poised for future growth

I have been working at Innovative Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Access to Management with a door always open attitude; collaborative environment even amidst growth and change.

Qualitative: Energetic and approachable teammates, leadership that facilitates culture through "ThinkTank" Friday ideashare once per month to let voices be heard. In general, the company is made up of people who work hard and have goals and aspirations. Of course there are people in every organization that simply collect a paycheck, but this culture encourages the former. Some of Rochester's absolute BEST & BRIGHTEST technology people work at Innovative Solutions. Furthermore, I would say on top of the expertise contained in the organization, it is a culture that drives the customer to see their problems from a different and new perspective. My opinion is that this is what has caused the continuous success

Quantitative: Company offers competitive salaries & benefits, reimburses reasonable business expenses. 401K matching program. Bi-monthly payroll cycle. Company has grown 10-20% each year consecutively for many years. This year has included several milestones in company history from a growth perspective. Service offering has continued to establish.

CEO: Talk about access! This is a person who stops by everyone's (yes, everyone's) office several times per week to simply ask them how they are doing. A simple thing that goes a long way in creating a culture of trust, accountability, and respect.

Cons

some overextension of resources; but we are in the business of serving our customers, sometimes regardless of the day or time. Management is making an effort to address this where possible.

There are sometimes communication issues; but my experience is that they are resolved with direct and open dialogue.

A great place to grow!

Former Employee - Network Technician in Rochester, NY

I worked at Innovative Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Innovative is a great place to work if you enjoy having a good deal of variety in your work. Opportunities abound to work with many different colleagues, technologies, business types, and customer personalities. You will find opportunities to expand your horizons and/or ultimately find a technical niche to develop at an expert level.

Cons

Consulting involves very specific time management. Tracking and reporting your time every day can become tedious.

5. Enjoyable fast paced environment, with caring people, and a professional attitude.

Former Employee - Network Technician in Rochester, NY

I worked at Innovative Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership cares about the personnel on a personal level and will bend over backwards to address any concerns or tough situations (personal or professional). The work is generally fast paced, and you get rewarded for doing well by given more interesting, varied projects. Great first job out of college ("in the trenches"), where personal growth happens rapidly if you show genuine interest,enthusiasm, and work ethic. If you think you know a better way of doing something, you can speak up and they consider your perspective. Good initial compensation for the area, and work-life balance is hardly an issue.

Cons

Mentorship of technical skills was lacking. There were "tracks" that technicians were put in (ie network, server, desktop...) but there wasn't enough projects that allowed these teams to grow and develop more advanced skillsets. Not much opportunity for promotion and metrics for performance-based annual raises weren't transparent. Senior engineers/technicians lacked vision and broad expertise, and visibility into client infrastructure health was ad hoc, with non-existent centralized management.

As others have pointed out - ditch the dress-code requirements. Smart casual as the standard, and tie for important meetings and specific clients.
    Centralize the monitoring of the health of clients, with metrics that technicians/engineers can use effectively to address issues efficiently.

Mayday mayday ... Sinking ship...

Current Employee - Network Technician in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Network Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Innovative Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck while job hunting.
    Co-workers are great.
    Potential to get some training when they need to recertify their partner agreement.

Cons

Dysfunctional management.
    Power struggles for control of business direction and ownership.
    Employees are forced into leaving positive reviews on glassdoor or risk harassment at work. Understaffed because good talent is leaving and poor reputation of company prevents good talent from coming. Don't expect a good work life balance.
    Good customers are switching to more evolved IT companies which make hitting revenue goals nearly impossible.

Not worth my time since they don't listen.
    Advice to perspective employees.
    There a dozen of other IT companies in Rochester that kick our butt. Do your research, consider looking on LinkedIn for past and present employees. Rochester Business Journal puts out a decent list of our competition.

7. Solid people, much more comfortable with locals typically.

Current Employee - Security Escort in Piketon, OH
    Current Employee - Security Escort in Piketon, OH

I have been working at Innovative Solutions part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay - when there's work.

Cons

When there's work. Discerning that is almost impossible.

Innovative Solutions Response

Aug 21, 2014Principal

We believe this posting was written in error. Innovative Solutions is an IT consulting company in Rochester, NY. We do not have any current employees or roles in our organization that are "Security ... More

Great company, amazing people!

Current Employee - Technician in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Innovative Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Words cannot express what it is like to come to work every day looking forward to being around your coworkers and the environment I am a part of. The management truly cares about their employees. Each day the company provides a quality catered lunch for all employees. Everyone is very friendly and caring no matter if the issue is work related or not. There is plenty of room for growth, but only if you want it. It, and are willing to push for it. As how it should be. The culture at Innovative is a family environment. The CEO meets one-on-one with every employee once a year to ask them how things are going, and to see what the company can do to improve. It is fantastic!

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication internally, making things more difficult for new employees. Also, there could be some improvement with compensation, but the management team is always open to discuss.

Continue to grow the company, keep culture and the people as #1. Attempt to address employee pain-points with more haste.

A great place to work whether you are experienced or just starting off in the technology industry.

I have been working at Innovative Solutions

Pros

The company is always looking for new ways to make its employees happy. There is consistent focus on employee growth, both technically and socially. Working at Innovative is like being part of a family. Everyone is always looking to help each other whenever a problem arises. There are plenty of perks and new ones are added all the time.

The company will help you get new certifications to push your career farther. Eventually you will develop a skill or have a deep understanding on a specific topic or technology and become the in house expert in that field. Being the expert on a specific topic really makes you feel needed throughout the organization.

There really is no getting bored doing one specific thing because the workplace is so dynamic. Typically days range from end user support to infrastructure and networking. Innovative is always looking to test the newest technology and is open to suggestions to make things better.

Cons

Working from home and flexible hours (only 8-5) are not available at this time. As the company is growing there is a big focus on collaboration and being remote makes that difficult.

Continue to listen to your employees. Happy employees make the work experience that much better.

eh the job is OK

Current Employee - PC Tech in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - PC Tech in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Innovative Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Just like all of the other reviews I have read - great place to learn

Cons

No future growth. I am stuck supporting a lot of mom and pop shops who think we cost too much money. I charge on average $85 to $90 / hr to install a PC (yes a PC). I'm sure these companies can find a local middle school student to install the PC for $10/hr. Even though I charge $85/hr, I only see about 1/4 of that money...if I'm lucky.

Loose the ties. Let us wear jeans to work.

Great place to learn. Bad place to grow.

Former Employee - Developer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Developer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Innovative Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good place to get some experience right out of college. Most people were pretty friendly and helpful.

Cons

Too focused on $$ and billable hours
    Not really that innovative. Just doing what it takes to get the product out the door for the client. Even if that means using decades old technologies or practices.
    Pay was pretty crappy for the amount of work/effort that is part in.
    Way too much office politics.

Lose the ties.
    Lose the billable hours crap.
    Get some people on the software team that are passionate about what they do and not just yes men.
    Stop spending tons of money on outside business consulting.

Innovative Solutions Photos