Innovative Spa Management

Updated September 1, 2014
Updated September 1, 2014
2.8

Ilana Craig Alberico

The worst company I have EVER had the displeasure to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Innovative Spa Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

In real life, your co-workers will be the only way you can force yourself to work for ISM for more than 6 months.

Cons

This is a corporation that is run terribly. Employees are constantly being let know just how disposable they are no matter what their training, skill level, or how many regular guests they have. The salary estimates on here are absurdly high compared to what the real pay is. They pay their employees ridiculous low (you might get a $0.17 raise or less after a year. I'm not even kidding) and sometimes come up with fake manager titles for employees with no raise at all. This company is money hungry beyond anything I have ever experienced and relies on deception to get new business because their guest and employee retention is low. There is no actual cleaning done to the property except for very light cleaning that employees can do between busting their butts with their actual jobs. I once invited a friend to come in for a massage and was told by that friend after that our facility was disgusting. And it is. All of the people I work with are miserable and only stay until they find other employment. The Spa Directors and owners are well aware of employee reviews, like you find on this site, and try to coax their tired, overworked, underpaid employees to pretend to be thrilled with ISM online. In over a year we have had 1 meeting with HR to evaluate employee happiness and then the meeting ended up being about our immediate supervisor and not about what the company or employees need to be happy. Our "perks" are constantly being diminished and in threat of being taken away. I'm talking about the joke of our employee discount. Run away from this company or risk feeling like your soul is being ripped from you everyday.

Listen to your employees. Actually care instead of giving the false illusion of caring. Treating employees with your 5 star standard will go a long way and result in employee retention. Employee retention is a good thing so stop treating people so poorly. Hire cleaning people. If money is tight, maybe you don't need to waste monitory resources with your regular nail and hair treatments. Our employee discounts are already lower than all of your competitor's employees receive so leave them alone. Most importantly, pay people what they are worth. Your full time employees are on food stamps FYI.

Poor management camouflaged by lies

I worked at Innovative Spa Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training department works hard to keep each property consistant. I learned a lot on what not to do in the business. CEUs offered.

Cons

They say that the company is built on trust and a family atmosphere when in truth it's built on lies and deceit. The pay is extremely low. As a massage therapist you can make more at massage envy and more is expected of you with ISM and pay is drastically less. They pressure you to sell retail and upgrade every guests to make more money. They make it seem like an incentive and turn you into a pushy sales person and not a massage therapy focused therapist. It's not a healing environment at all. Upper management says they care for guests and employees but all they care about is the money. I heard and witnessed so much manipulation over my years with this company. They hire people right out of school because they can't get experienced therapists to stay. In all positions, even management, they end up with the least qualified because again they are the only people who will take the position. If you are qualified, making to much money, or question anything they do, they will lie and find a way to fire you. The company's turn over rate is extremely high. Many tharapists get promised promotions which come with a lot more work and very little money. Full time therapist means you give them open hours but if they don't have the appointments to give you, which they won't, then you loose your benifits but still keep the full time status with none of the benifits. On weekends I often had no lunch break and worked open to close because of low staff numbers. Spa directors will drain you to get every last dime they can. On several occasions I was booked an appointment that ended after closing hours because they didn't want to turn away the profit. No asking if it was okay just telling me that I had to take the appointment and stay late after a full day. You are their pawn to make money and they don't value their employees. They know once you're gone then they can just replace you with the next graduating class. In the last year things hit a downward spiral and I don't see them recovering. In their 5 star training class they teach about meeting and exceeding guest expectations with the "garbage burger" which is the gourmet burger of your dreams. ISM is a 1 star McDonald's burger manipulating the system in deceit and lies to say they are a 5 star gourmet burger. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from their lies. If you enjoy what you do, don't let them ruin it. They paint a great picture but manipulators always do. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Live by your companies values or do the spa indudtry a favor and get out of the business. The lowest person in the company should be treated the same as the highest. Pay your employees a livable invome. Don't stab the people in the back who helped you succeed and we're loyal to you for yesrs. That's just not good business. Bring the open door, family atmosphere, back.

Nastiest company ever worked for!!

Current Employee - Massage Therapist  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Innovative Spa Management part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are brand new in the industry, in all departments, they will hire you with no issues. Also if you don't mind stepping on others to get what you want you will go far with this company. I liked the training department.

Cons

Oh gosh there are so many cons it's hard to figure out where to start. Of course the amount of money they pay has been mentioned over and over and still is very true. This company is so dishonest that even their reviews are begged for. I know for a fact that they have asked multiple times for reviews and when all they were getting were bad ones they sent out an email to the spa directors asking them to find people that were willing to only put good reviews up. I also have seen them lie and talk about others behind their backs, and even try to ruin people's reputations. Most of the upper management doesn't know what they are doing and make it up as they go along. No organization, directions, or integrity. As for the spa level all they care about is how much you sell, either with products or enhancements. I have even seen therapist not trained in the service get booked, also more the once letting a therapist that's not licensed in that area preform the service. They typically have a twice a year happiness surveys that are supposed to be completely anonymous but if you haven't filled it out they contact you telling you that you need to fill it out. Also as soon as you fill it out they get a notification. As for the human resources any time you make a complaint about something he informs the person or department with who it was about and the complaint. I have even seen where the regional director makes stuff up to get rid of that person who made the complaint. He in fact took something that others were doing and never get in trouble for, or spoken to about, and then wrote up and fired that person for the so called infraction. This company as lost good therapist and managers because of their unethical behavior and their low low pay. Their turn over is high and the so called 5 star service is a joke. I have worked for spas that are 5 star and this company is a not even close. I can go on and on but I don't need to beat a dead horse. Run away as fast as you can, I have seen to much to ignore it anymore and am leaving.

Look at yourself and questions are truly OK with treating people that work for you this way. Ethics and having good integrity will get a lot further with people than underhanded moves. Pay people what they are worth and look at ways to keep staff, it saves you in the long run with training cost. Stop hiring managers that have no training.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Doormat.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Innovative Spa Management for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic employees! Until they are lied to and smothered to the point of being forced to quit because of their own morals and standards.

Cons

I have NO idea where any of these positive reviews are coming from. Maybe someone who was just newly "promoted" into a new fake position where they will probably end up making less money? Countless people have been with this company for years and have played along with their manipulation and still have nothing to show for it. I ask why they have stayed and the answer is always "for my clients and my coworkers". People like their jobs... nobody likes the company. Nobody I know of likes the CEOs. I used to like them until their egos got in the way and all respect for them became a distant memory. Every time they visit one of their salons or spas they show their rear-ends in a big way. We try so hard not to have these negative feelings but in this mentally abusive and dishonest environment it is impossible. Despite the efforts of spa management to remain positive, the trickle-down of the CEO's bad ethics are completely unavoidable as an employee who has to adhere to their "brilliant" new ideas (which they probably stole from a book as opposed to their own experience). I personally have encountered these CEOs maybe 4 times in person and I was always left feeling like I had just been kicked in the ribs. These women are running themselves into the ground despite their amazing team. Or what's left of it, at least.

Kill the egos. You have created a beautiful thing. Stop while you're ahead. Listen to your employees. LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES. You began with great intentions and greed has won you over. You are aware of this but instead of changing for good you become more aggressively unethical. You are inherently good people. Act that way. You aren't fooling anyone with those fake "I'm your new best friend" attitudes. And for goodness sake stop pretending you are an employer of choice. Massage Envy pays better than your 5-star spas do. Does that make you proud? Everyone is laughing at you while you laugh your way to the bank. Last time I checked, human decency was more important than money. It's not just "business" anymore... it's the intentional suppression of strong women who can be so much more than you allow them to be. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

great and getting better

Current Employee - Concierge
    Current Employee - Concierge

I have been working at Innovative Spa Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

ISM foundation was first shown to me in a previous employer... The Four Agreements. Greatest note cards and book you'll get your hands on. So relational and genuine to the culture of ISM. I look forward to growing with this company.

Cons

Just like most places of employment... pay your dues and put your time in, respect will come as well as growth. I am a witness to them hiring from within. Just wish I would get there a little sooner ;)

I have been working for the company for some time. Would like to meet some of the upper management to share in the personal goals we all set for ourselves within our working career.

Endless Possibilities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Innovative Spa Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

ISM has a great setup for professional development and networking through a multiple site support system in my area. The people who work in my location are like a family; at and away from work. This has been one of my favorite jobs in my entire career. The flexible work hours allow me to raise a family and provide for them at the same time.

Cons

There really are none.

Consider additional benefits for employees such as tuition reimbursement, or a management in training program.

Flexible and Family Friendly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Innovative Spa Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is a great place for a parent like me to work. They allow me a flexible schedule so I can attend to my family, and a fair wage so I can take care of my family. I additionally enjoy the professional development and networking opportunities I have been afforded because of the multiple site work environment we have in my area.

Cons

There really is nothing bad to say about this company.

Consider offering a tuition reimbursement program and a manager/supervisor in training program as a part of the benefits package

Good Company Culture

I worked at Innovative Spa Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong culture in where passionate, genuine, and 'up-to-get-the-work-done' people can feel identify and be happy.
    High expectations, and I like it.
    Rapidly growing company, opportunity for growth & learn.
    Wonderful owners that are passionate and consistently made the efforts to listen to employees and get better.

Cons

Because of sudden/rapid growth, it became hard to remain true to the culture basics
    Paying benefits are not so great (no 401K) therefore employment loyalty can be hard to achieve/ or qualify employees are hard to find
    Limited FT employment opportunity

In order to keep the beautiful ISM culture alive, slow down....and continue growing.

ISM Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Innovative Spa Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like that ISM shows Trust, Love, Repect & Discipline within their entire culture.

Cons

I sometimes find it challanging being at a satallite location without the proper Departments that are sometimes beneficial to have on location (HR, Accounting, Training, etc.)

Have scheduled visits by different Departments (HR, Training, etc.) several times thruout the year at your satallite locations. Provide CEU classes 1/2 times a year on site at different properties. Have a "Training Bootcamp" once a year at your properties.

Appreciated, Good Team work

Current Employee - Massage Therapist
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist

I have been working at Innovative Spa Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty environment to work in, really solid team work, management does check in meetings to listen to staff. They offer free ce classes which is really nice. Health insurance is pretty standard, but nice that its there. The team environment is really good. We feel like a family at our spa.

Cons

need clear route for promotions, other than that I can't think of any cons for the company

Nice to work for a company that really cares, have more consistent trainings

Worked for Innovative Spa Management? Contribute to the Community!