Innovative Systems (South Dakota)

www.innovsys.com
  www.innovsys.com

Innovative Systems (South Dakota) Reviews

4.6

Roger Musick

No politics and family values at this telecom vendor

I have been working at Innovative Systems (South Dakota) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

respectful owners
    above average compensations
    healthy environment
    work with customers around the us
    great profit sharing
    employees can keep the business travel award miles

Cons

some don't like rural communities Mitchell is around 15,000 people
    cold especially this past winter

increase efforts to leverage assets to expand business beyond telecommunications industry

Pretty good pay, bad benefits, soul crushing cubicle environment, terrible location.

Current Employee - Programmer in Mitchell, SD
    Current Employee - Programmer in Mitchell, SD

I have been working at Innovative Systems (South Dakota) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High pay for the area, equivalent jobs in nearby areas, when they can be found (which is rare in SD) do not pay as well.

Senior management is competent and it doesn't seem like things are going under.

Management doesn't interfere with you doing your job as long as you show results, no matter what you spend your time doing.

Almost all employees take long breaks walking, playing ping pong, pool or chatting.

Most employees are very nice, although there are a few exceptions.

Work life balance is great, I have never worked overtime.

The CEO is willing and available to talk to any employee and hear their grievances and ideas. He actually listens to you and will try the idea or give reasons why it can't be done.

I have a long list of cons, but Innovative Systems really is a good place to work. The pros are fewer in number but very important.

Cons

It is unlikely that you will go anywhere in terms of your career here. The company provides training opportunities but few employees are rewarded with opportunity to expand their roles. The low turn over rate ensures that development practices stagnate.

Management is open to new ideas, but the senior employees are unwilling to adopt any modern development practices.

Benefits are not very good, you get only a meager amount of vacation time and no dental or vision insurance. Health insurance is high deductible, so don't expect it to actually pay for anything unless you are very unhealthy or injure yourself. Free soda is a good fringe benefit but is not really worth much, maybe $2.00 per day if you use it.

The work environment is horrendous, everyone works in cubicles except a few people. It is too loud to seriously concentrate on programming. The desks are uncomfortable, sitting at one all day is best described as a form of torture. All lighting is fluorescent and very bright, with the added touch of the light covers being "chromed", adding to the glare and brightness at all times.

Even though most employees are nice, there are a few bullies who are constantly berating other employees and treating them like they are idiots instead of qualified professionals with years of experience. Management either doesn't know about or turns a blind eye to these employees because they are fairly talented, but a talented employee who treats others poorly should be reprimanded severely and eventually fired. I avoid these people entirely when possible but the cubicle environment makes it difficult to ignore what they say to others. There are certain employees these bullies pick on; taking advantage of the fact that the are programmers with low self confidence and are typically timid. I don't know why these individuals don't act like professionals, but management really needs to identify them and correct the situation. (I was not bullied myself, but I hear it happening to others, some people are constant targets.) This problem is limited to only one or two people at most, but that is enough to really hurt the work environment.

Mitchell, SD is literally in the middle of nowhere. It is freezing cold 5 months of the year with constant snow cover and summers are very hot and humid. The police are corrupt and will ticket you for anything and will harass you at your house if a longtime city resident doesn't like you. The taxes are the second highest in South Dakota. The surrounding land is the ugliest in South Dakota, flat and covered in corn fields. Definitely the second worst place to live in South Dakota, after Huron, which is nearly identical but even further from civilization. Mitchell is racist and filled with narrow minded people, fortunately those people don't work at Innovative Systems and wouldn't be tolerated.

Living in Mitchell is the worst part of working at Innovative Systems, but if you can get past that, it isn't too bad.

Management needs to more carefully measure the maturity level of people they give senior positions, a talented programmer without maturity or leadership skills should not be given a modicum of authority. A lot of times people won't speak up because they don't want to be the snitch.

Maybe make an anonymous box and assign someone to read it and report the most pressing comments to you.

More people need to be involved in important, complex projects instead of putting all responsibility in one or two peoples' hands. It has to be stressful to be given a lot of responsibility and it is boring and unrewarding to be given hardly no meaningful responsibilities.

Please look into research showing how extra vacation time improves employee productivity and doesn't even cost the company much money. Even employees at Trail King (manufacturing) and Avera (medical) get up to twice as much paid vacation with the same or less years of experience. Employees at Trail King also get dental insurance. A job requiring engineering education and is high skilled should at least compete with a local manufacturer for benefit levels. Whenever I leave the company (inevitably), benefits and location will be the reasons barring being fired for incompetence or posting too honest reviews.

Fixing the problem of saddling people with too much responsibility and others with too little will allow you to review this policy and give people adequate vacation and prevent the loss of employees with critical knowledge from crippling the company. (I know you are trying to address this, but it isn't working.)

Things are generally pretty good at Innovative Systems, but the above issues really need addressed.

Outstanding people and challenges

I have been working at Innovative Systems (South Dakota) full-time

Pros

- Cutting edge technology
    - Close knit groups
    - Outstanding customers
    - Very stable business
    - Visionary CEO

Cons

- Located in a small town in a rural state

The largest city in the state is located 70 miles away. Not a con for everyone, but for those looking for "things to do" outside of high school football games and small community events, be prepared to drive a bit.

Keep up the good work.

Friendly, well-managed company.

Former Employee - Support in Mitchell, SD
    Former Employee - Support in Mitchell, SD

I worked at Innovative Systems (South Dakota)

Pros

Great benefits
    Amazing people to work with
    Compensation is very well for the area
    Nice building and facilities.
    Good job overall

Cons

Some positions don't offer chances to excel
    Cubicle environment can be a bit claustrophobic
    Having free soda all day can be a health issue

Be kind to your employees and they will return the favor with an improved work ethic. This should apply to all employees, big or small.

Fast-moving, always current work yet extremely stable & productive environment - very little bureaucracy.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Mitchell, SD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Mitchell, SD

I have been working at Innovative Systems (South Dakota)

Pros

CEO is acknowledged as a visionary in the telecom industry and grows the company in a most solid manner. Our company continues to grow despite the economy and we work hard to stay on the leading edge of technology which benefits our clients and keeps our software developers challenged and interested. Good benefits, competitive salaries, profit sharing, very casual dress code and break rooms with fountain soda stations round out the picture. I hope to be here for a long time. If there is one thing that I have learned to appreciate - it is companies that remain stable regardless of the economy.

Cons

We move fast and so are not a good fit for people disliking change or needing lots of management.

Just to continue to work hard to keep that small company-feel we have.