Innovyze

Paul F. Boulos

Client Service Manager

Former Employee - Client Service Manager
    Former Employee - Client Service Manager

I worked at Innovyze full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low expectations for time commitment, strong industry market share, great development team

Cons

Little upward mobility, parent company doesn't "get software", profit sharing diluted by low margin consulting parent company, timidity in approaching new markets

Reward top producers, reign in personalities that distract from commercial success

"I see no ships"

Former Employee - Developer in Wallingford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Developer in Wallingford, England (UK)

I worked at Innovyze full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worthy industry (water engineering software), strong industry reputation, good products for the industry.

Very friendly set of colleagues, always happy to help/share knowledge.

Work-life balance/juggling young family made very easy by UK management.

Cons

Very few promotion opportunities; hierarchy is extremely static and has been for many years.

No training/personal development at all.

Employees don't appear to be sharing equably in what we're told is the stellar success of company.

A number of senior figures with many years of service with the company have have left within the last year which indicates what they thought about things.

Senior management have very little expertise in actual coding, hence very often one's performance appears to be judged on something other than the actual quality of one's work. If I'd worked out what it is judged on, maybe I'd still be there.

Please don't insult our intelligence; if we were a "better company than IBM or Oracle" I think we'd know it.

Consider modern software development practices and processes. Automatic regression testing. Code reviews. And training.

Judge developer performance on the quality of their work and productivity.

Don't lay off valued employees after ~6 weeks below target sales in an otherwise record year.

Try not to insult one of our biggest UK customers in a public forum.

A cult of personality

Current Employee - Developer in Wallingford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Developer in Wallingford, England (UK)

I have been working at Innovyze full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, interesting field, a lot of potential. Well established products and new products in development. Potential for a great deal of expansion. Staff operate under intense pressure with amazing patience and tolerance.

Cons

Management structure is dissolved, ceo operates with impunity. Profits go to mwh global shareholders. Bonuses are loosely linked to personal and company performance. No career progression. Development team unwilling or unable to adopt modern programming techniques. Salaries are below market rate for the South East. A lot of skilled staff have left within the last year.

"An innovyze without Paul"