Inova Fairfax Hospital

CEO

CRA, work is okay

Current Employee - CRA
    Current Employee - CRA

I have been working at Inova Fairfax Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Big name, might be good on the CV
    Not overworked
    Can choose my own hours

Cons

Lacking management everywhere
    Very hard to get promotion
    Impossible to get salary increase except the annual 1-2%

Old management style from top to bottom. In this age it should be opposite. Impossible to get promotion. HR would rather hire non experienced person who demands higher salary than giving real increase to current employees.

Colleagues are great to work with.

I have been working at Inova Fairfax Hospital

Pros

Location, patient population, highly experienced nurses, and hospital has resources to support growth(i.e. infrastructure).

Cons

Traffic surrounding hospital can make for a challenging commute.

Okay place to work

I have been working at Inova Fairfax Hospital

Pros

Good place to get experience

Cons

Salaries not competitive, leadership isnt always in touch with staff

Hire leaders who can work with departments rather than just bark orders down to them.

Facade

Former Employee - INOVA Fairfax RN in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - INOVA Fairfax RN in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova Fairfax Hospital

Pros

hours, food, gift shop, discounts

Cons

Allowed physician to basically say and do whatever they want to you. They hold staff to a level of professionalism which they themselves are not held to. Bullying sums it up.

walk the walk stop your bullying in HR and Management

Lots of lip service, no delivery

I have been working at Inova Fairfax Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Committed health care providers; nurses, etc.

Cons

No paid holidays -- have to take PTO for Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. (6 Federal holidays) with no option to work
    New employees get 24 days of PTO per year, including 6 mandatory holidays, for sick leave, vacation, etc.; employees of 5 years or more get 28 (22 after 6 mandatory holidays); PTO does not accrue
    6 weeks of maternity leave
    No merit increases
    No cost-of-living increases
    Health insurance is a self-funded plan through Aetna -- highly bureaucratic, often makes mistakes, no plan administrator to talk to
    Entire organization uses antiquated and outdated IT system (Windows XP), which often fails

Inova stresses that its employees are its most important asset, yet fails to live up to that sentiment. Employees are NOT valued at Inova. Management is penny-wise and pound foolish. Inova might want to ask itself why so many of its lead nurses have left or forced to leave, which means that the hospital no longer qualifies for Magnet status.

Toxic Executive Admins

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Falls Church, VA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova Fairfax Hospital as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment, most employees are very nice

Cons

Toxic and petty Executive Admins with conduct below common decency

The C-level executives at this company are all wonderful people with high standards of interpersonal treatment and professionalism, but have a blind eye to their Executive support, of which about half have no moral compass, no integrity and behave at the level of schoolyard bullies. Just incredibly unprofessional. Think twice, especially if you are a professional and principled EA and want to be in a positive and professional environment-this is not that, it's high school politics and a definite lack of basic courtesy and compassion.

Also, do not enter this structure as a contractor-they will string you along so they don't have to pay a regular salary (which, when they do, is not what it should be). Horrible experience. I don't know about the whole structure, but this dynamic definitely exists in the department I worked in. Very sad, because as a whole it is a wonderful hospital and most of the employees are fantastic. The doctors are certainly first-class. But if you are an honest, decent person and professional C-level Exec Admin, go elsewhere. They don't deserve your time. I was there on a contract, and after the way I was treated, my family now simply refers to their Executive Administration Assistant team as "those sociopaths." Find something better for yourself!

Understanding and caring management, flexible

I have been working at Inova Fairfax Hospital

Pros

exceptional co workers, team driven

Cons

not challenging, people aren't held accountable for tasks.

Great People

I have been working at Inova Fairfax Hospital (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Co-workers
    Staff really care about the patients

Cons

Management needs to be more proactive

It was a rewarding experience.

Former Employee - Technician in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Technician in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova Fairfax Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The department made me feel like I was part of a great team. Leadership was available. Tuition assistance was great.

Cons

I always felt like I was a valued team member, but, when I got a copy of my performance evaluation, my score was "Competent." I really feel that I was above the "competent" level.

Don't be afraid to speak up and do something about it. Sometimes, you have to put your foot down and simply let go of an individual who is just that, an individual and not a team player.

Unprepared disastrous failure of epic infection waiting to happen !

Former Contractor - Registered Nurse in Fairfax, VA
    Former Contractor - Registered Nurse in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Inova Fairfax Hospital as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful Valet parking is available !

Cons

Inova has not posted the CDC guidelines and "donning" of equipment directions which are laminated and double side with a convenient hanging chain attached , printed with blue and yellow animations ? They have not purchased enough isolation gowns (PPE) and face shields for everyone to use and then change after each suspected "NOT just proven" Ebola patient ? Inova does not require employees to practice the donning of said isolation equipment and then the removal UNTIL those employees do not contamination themselves or other surfaces ?

Patients are left in common waiting areas and not moved into isolation soon enough, sometimes not at all...just released back home.

The motivational meetings remind me of what some family members said of flag waving during the soviet times over in Russia.

But they did have enough money and time to make several attempts to stop staff from unionizing to protect themselves.

I would advise management to take this Ebola outbreak seriously and to stop playing politics or "business as usual" with the lives of our workers and our patients who sit in the waiting room.