Inova

Inova Reviews in Fairfax, VA

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Inova President and CEO J. Knox Singleton

J. Knox Singleton

Pros
  • Good benefits, flexible hours and nice people to work with(in 8 reviews)

• Benefits, great co-workers, great place for beginning a career in healthcare(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The financial compensation was minimal when considering the cost of living in the area and that was my only serious complaint(in 4 reviews)

• No room for upward growth in company(in 6 reviews)

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Difficult place to work infrastrucure is poor. Spend alot of time chasing things that should be automated and work well

Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGreat opportunties, you can get experience here that you cannot other places. The size of the organization provices opportunites for career advancement and development

ConsNegative culture too much blame verse process improvemtn. Goals are set that are arbitray and not based on reasonable expectations

Advice to Senior Managementmore carrot lest stick

RT at Inova

Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsDecent compensation, fair leadership. Job security seems ok.

ConsVery high work load, lack of work hours, not enough staff on schedule to handle workload.

Politically Driven Corporation

Manager (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsMajority of co workers are kind, caring and friendly
    Good physicians
    Excellent support staff

ConsSenior Leadership
    Unethical hiring processes
    Lack of advancement if not willing to pander to leadership
    No value for employees
    Low compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementHire individuals that are qualified instead of those willing to be "yes" people. Value your employees more and redefine the working environment from political backstabbing to focus on providing outstanding patient care. Take an interest in the turnover that exists and have a compliance department that is unbiased and addresses issues appropriately and in a fair manner.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No respect for nursing

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsCoworkers are great, compensation is ok...on the level with other hospitals. We take pride in our work and in our hospital (Inova Fair Oaks).

ConsNurses Week was a joke and a slap in the face. Asked to bake cookies for other departments to show our appreciation -- hello, where's the appreciation for us? This would be like my child asking me to make him breakfast in bed for Mothers Day! Oh, we also had the opportunity to bring in a casserole for a potluck lunch, and admin brought around a tea cart with Entenmanns snacks, but only stopped at the main nurses station, didn't even bother actually coming to the other nurses stations where nurses were actually working. Not even the customary "thank you nurses" banner in the lobby. I know money is tight, but a heartfelt thank you would have been nice...

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some appreciation for those in the trenches

Program Assistant life support

Program Assistant Life Support (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

Prosgood medical benefits
    Managers allowed to work from home when and if they want
    managers create new policy
    directors leave control of their employees to managers discretion

Consheavy and poor leadership
    managers are not held accountable
    retaliation is real in the healthsource department
    HR does nothing when you cry for help
    burnt out heavy heavy work load for few employees
    low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementHold managers accountable for employee treatment/turnover
    invest in your employees and value the great ones get rid of the poor managers
    put strict bullying/retaliation policy's in place. It would make a world of difference.

For 10+ years worked with great nurses and horrible management. Especially upper senior level management

RN II (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsThe people I work with at the grunt level are knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge. Location to where I live. 5 miles from home. It's hard to find any more decent things to say about the system.

ConsNot staff friendly when it comes to scheduling. Too worried about what surveys say and the surveys don't ask relevant questions! If you have a family emergency....well good luck trying to find coverage. Poor, poor, pay. PRN for 10 years and not a penny raise. No benefits, no vacation pay, no sick pay. While the CEO gets bonuses in the six digit figures. Expect you to go out of your way when staffing on busy days, or inclement weather days, but no appreciation when you do go out of your way to help. Right now it is a cut throat environment. Everyone is walking on pins and needles waiting for the next blow to staffing. How they got Magnet Status is beyond me. Senior management is out of touch with what is really happening on the floors. The good directors get pooped upon because they don't play upper managements games and the bad directors are praised because they play the games with brown noses. Don't threaten my job because survey numbers are down.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen, really listen, to staff. Don't give us meaningless surveys. Let us take care of patients. It's what we do best. Your thoughts on how you expect us to take care of a patient from your glass house is not working.

Great boss, great place to work!

Sterile Processing (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsStability, great benefits, very accommodating

ConsNone that I can think of, I am very happy

Hard work in company without focus

Director (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsNice surrounds, convenient to access

ConsDisjointed and arrogant senior leadership. Priorities focused on wrong things.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit chasing the impossible and focus on your front line staff and middle management rather than slash and burn to make budget.

Great group of employees, struggling to stay afloat with turmoil in management

Surgical Tech II (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsThe group of people i work directly with in the OR are great coworkers and friends as well. We care about eachother and definitely for our patients.

the experience you can gain working in a level 1 trauma center is unparalleled.

Consin the year and a half ive been at Inova, there has been several management changes and little consistency. Out of 4 people in current management positions, 2 of them have clinical experience. A lot of changes and decisions are made that greatly impact the staff with no
    influence from the staff.

we are currently required to take 40 hours of call in a 6 week period, and that requirement changes frequently due to a lack of staff.

currently there are at least 7 travelers in the department which decreases moral for permanent staff because travelers come and go with little regard and no loyalty to Inova, its difficult to adjust to the constant fluctuation of travelers and their working styles, and of course compensation varies largely between permanent and temporary staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementEach room has its own environment and needs and varies day to day. what works today may not work tomorrow, so consider the staffs opinions on what will and wont help before making giant decisions about things.

instead of paying so much to fill positions with temporary workers with no loyalty, try paying your permanent staff a little more and rewarding them for all the hard work they do.

develop a plan for advancement. ive been told for months that even tho a tech III position is a possibility, that there is no current standard for being a tech III and thus the tech II's are unable to move up.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

RUN AWAY!!!

Cardiovascular Specialist II (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsI have absolutely nothing PRO to say about this company. Deciding to work here was the the worst professional decision I have ever made.

ConsNo room for advancement. When you start, you start out at the same pay and level as a new grad. The staff are horrible people in general. They are very knowledgeable, but suck as humans. There are more managers than there are staff, so every one thinks they are are in charge. If you want to try to move up the ladder, you have to do some silly project that a bunch of people who don't want you to move up have to approve. These people only meet once every 6 months. Doing this project is the only way to get a raise.
    The pay compared to what they expect you to do, is ridiculously low. Instead of hiring more staff, they want you to work at your assigned hospital and then go to other hospitals after you finish your long 10 hour day for call. Call is another issue. They have multiple call teams, way more than they need. More staff than is needed for the case load, but need this many for call coverage.
    The hospital as a whole, felt very "cliquey".

Advice to Senior ManagementFire some of yourselves, there are way too many of you guys. Pay your current experienced staff appropriately. Hire managers and directors with current department experience. Discontinue the usage of staff members as managers within the staff. Seriously, there were so many people in charge within the staff, no one knew who to actually report to.

Worked for Inova? Contribute to the Community!