Inova

Updated March 4, 2015
2.5

Inova President and CEO J. Knox Singleton
J. Knox Singleton

Pros
  • Good benefits, flexible hours and nice people to work with (in 9 reviews)

• Benefits, great co-workers, great place for beginning a career in healthcare (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The financial compensation was minimal when considering the cost of living in the area and that was my only serious complaint (in 4 reviews)

• Little room for growth in non-clinical position (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

From the minute you step in the front door, you are met by friendly and helpful employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Inova part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly & helpful co-workers, involved management, great benefits, they frequently ask for our opinions, identify areas for improvement, and make changes

Cons

30 miles from home, some employees complain but that is seen everywhere

Continue to ask our opinions, make improvements, and community the plans for the hospital

Inova Health System on the right path.

I worked at Inova

Pros

Worthwhile work, friendly coworkers, large organizationthat has the resources to grow and be competitive.
    Human Resources team is evolving with the industry and making an impact with employees, line managers and up through executive leadership.

Cons

The healthcare industry is having a rough time handling the impact from recent federal legislation. 2014 was a tough year of down-sizing staff and managers. Nurses complain of understaffing that leads to them not being able to provide the care that they would like to.

Bad bosses

I worked at Inova

Pros

Large company, well known in the area

Cons

Managers are not held accountable for high turnover in their dept. Human Resources does not enforce companies policies as the should(some do not even know what policies exist and how to find them!), but allow managers that the support to do as they see fit. Executive level staff does nothing about formal grievances that are placed about unfair treatment or wrong behavior of managers. No full investigations are ever done when these compliments are filed. They refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem with bad management in this organization. Instead, the employee suffers and either resigns or manager decides to devise ways to terminate the employee. Bad managers continue to exist and the cycle continues with the next victim.

Stop allowing managers to make decisions on disciplinary actions on their own.
    FULLY investigates all grievances voiced via your grievance process.
    Stop treating employees like a number or as if they are just bodies easy to be disposed of and replaced.
    Train your current HR staff and hire more competently in these departments.
    Provide management training for those who supervise staff and make it a mandatory requirement for ANYONE who fills this role, regardless of their level within the company.
    Focus in one your high turnover departments and DO something about it.

Ok company to work for

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many advancement opportunities within the company

Cons

Pays very low
    works you like a dog
    young company
    Horrible benefits

Scathing

Current Employee - Nurse in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Nurse in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Inova

Pros

The people I work with keep me here.

Cons

uncaring, inconsistent management. The upper echelon are merely mouthpieces and only interested in turning a profit. If you are a nurse and enjoy doing the work of two people at the expense of your license, this is the place to work!

You might want to take care of your nurses or this place is going to be a ghost town

Admin/Health Educator

Former Employee - Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Inova

Pros

I enjoyed the holiday potlucks/parties
    medical benefits
    good place to start

Cons

I had a terrible experience with INOVA HealthSource. I thought very highly of them before working here. Although my record showed i was promoted twice in a year and i was a hard worker. I was talked down took, belittled, and abused by my manager. Only popular employees allowed flexibility. Do not report to Human Resources on gatehouse because managers and human resources work together. After going all the way to the top to the CEO, nothing was done about my abusive manager. There is no respect for anyone here other than nurses/ and upper management. You are not valued at this organization. The morale here is horrible. I developed pneumonia from being over worked and have chronic anxiety now. The CEO did nothing to address my issue after i voluntarily left. I applied to another department and was shunned for complaining. I find it ironic that this is a Healthcare facility and the environment and workplace treatment is very toxic to your health.

Very low pay for positions.
    Popular employees who kiss up get promoted not the ones who do their job and work hard
    Not flexible
    No pay increases or merit

MANAGERS HOLD ALL THE POWER...run!!!

There needs to be more accountability/monitoring of managers. Seems like managers can make up their own rules. There needs to be training for managers and their behaviors. This organization has a high turnover and has lost many great employees.

Departments vary. But the theme is similar.

Great place to work

I worked at Inova

Pros

The company really takes care of its employees. Help with education and lots of benefits.

Cons

Offices are open during snow storms. The hospitals are open so all offices must be open too. Hospital rules apply to offices far from the hospital.

Pay close attention to what goes on in the office

Desktop Engineer

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Inova

Pros

Chances for moving up within your job title are there and the benefits are good.

Cons

The annual raise is less than 1% and becomes less the more time you have under your belt.

Trust in your employees and treat them with respect. Don't show favoritism especially in front of them.

Top Executives Doesn't Care About Employees

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Inova full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Inova has diversified culture. They give benefits like health and dental insurance.

Cons

Management does not value the employees contribution to the company. They only care about their big paycheck but not the employees welfare. They contracted a lot of departments so they won;t have to pay for benefits to those employees who has been with the company for a long time. They also laid off a lot of people and they promised that they will help them get a job but they lied.

Used to be great, but it's grown too much, too fast.

Former Employee - Human Resources in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Inova full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Pride of working for well-known organization
    -Friendly co-workers
    -Pleasant work environment

Cons

-Rapid growth in short period of time without the infrastructure to support it
    -Little to no advancement opportunities
    -Leadership focus is the "bottom line," not employee satisfaction

Train managers to be leaders, not dictators. Satisfied employees = better patient outcomes and reimbursement.