Inova Reviews in Falls Church, VA

Updated July 29, 2014

2.9

Inova President and CEO J. Knox Singleton
J. Knox Singleton

Pros
  • Good benefits, flexible hours and nice people to work with (in 8 reviews)

• Benefits, great co-workers, great place for beginning a career in healthcare (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The financial compensation was minimal when considering the cost of living in the area and that was my only serious complaint (in 4 reviews)

• No room for upward growth in company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Love it

I have been working at Inova full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Inova is growing and expanding to include ambulatory and outpatient areas. It is definitely a world class organization. Lots of room to grow within the company, big a promoting from within.

Cons

Your promotions are based on years of service. Yes you can technically move or transfer into another job within six months but it pays better if you complete a full year.

none

Low pay, few holidays, decreased morale.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most jobs at Inova offer a chance to help people both directly and indirectly. Corporate Perks Buying Program (reward points and discounts off several items, including computers); deep discount from various phone providers. Very small annual bonus given dependent upon goals reachedsuccessfully by the entire organization.

Cons

Low pay, 5 paid holidays per year, too many chiefs, young people with masters degrees with no management experience hired or promoted to management with deleterious results, "old boy network" mentality, phony enthusiasm from top down and empty, meaningless staff retreats, picnics, and recognition activities.

Look deeper and more sincerely into employee morale. Provide real bonuses. Stop promoting and hiring based on favoritism and degrees only--skills and experience matter!

Promotion and Growth potential is horrible in some departments

Current Employee - PFS  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - PFS in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Job security and stability, Selecting your on work hours

Cons

Hiring practices from within are horrible. I have been here ten years applied for at least 30 jobs and only been interviewed for 2.

Take a look at the people you have and place those that are deserving of a promotion into the right positions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Does not care about retaining quality employees.

I have been working at Inova full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Provides good medical care to patients.

Cons

Pay is not keeping up with cost of living increases (0.5%) raises for past 3 years. No room for advancement in you are not a nurse or physician. No respect for physician extenders (physicians assistants, nurse practitioners, genetic counselors). Does not cover continuing education which is typically a standard benefit for physician extenders.

Value your employees and invest in them. Do not over extend the budget by building before you can afford to build without skimping on employee salaries and benefits.

Inova doesn't care about you.

Former Employee - Registration Coordinator  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Registration Coordinator in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great ER, this is the only place if want to go if I were seriously injured.

Cons

They do not care about their employees. Inova used to be a great place to work until they forgot how to treat their employees. It seems as though they forgot they are non-profit.

Be kind to your employees. You need them.

Great place to learn

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to learn Critical Care nursing. Many specialty ICUs. There is prestige of being able to add Inova on your resume.

Cons

Too many management tiers. Easy to get lost among the many employees and become just another number. Pay is mediocre. Easy to get burnt out.

Take care of your Critical Care Nurses. Pay attention to staffing needs. It is not possible to give excellent care to the patients when the RN to Pt ratio isn't correct. It is also not safe! Hence the high turn over rate.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Patient Registration Representative  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Patient Registration Representative in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Inova is a premier health system in Northern Virginia and has multiple medical facilities in the area. Easy access for most facilities, great pay, growth potential and education reimbursement

Cons

The cons are what you make them to be, there is always a positive aspect for working in the system.

Some management need to take a better look at procedures used for their employees and encourage growth and movement within in the system.

Working with this company for more than 5 years.

I have been working at Inova full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not a good place to work.

Cons

Management don't care about employee.

Company without management. Management don't care about employee.That's why many employee went to rival hospital.No annual raise for last 2 years but spending millions for building construction.

mostly positive.

Current Employee - Unit Secretary  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits and ability to transfer

Cons

inadequate pay for the metro area

........

Being a PFS Supervisor at Inova is NOT all it's cracked up to be!

Former Employee - PFS Supervisor  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - PFS Supervisor in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good health benefits
    - Descent location (Telestar)
    - Great leadership training

Cons

I was with Inova for 6 years and the latter part of my career there, I was promoted to PFS Supervisor; however, I had the absolute worst Director who was unsupportive, lacked consistent leadership abilities, and made the front line supervisors look like idiots mainly because she did not have our backs.

The sad part is the the Sr. Director never saw any of this. She had rose colored glasses on to what was going on in the department. I could not handle one more day working with a director who acted so bipolar.... one day supervisors were getting praised for a job well done and the next, we were getting our heads chewed off for one reason or another.

It was NOT a stable environment to be in. The AR staff could see the stress we were under and it really played an impact on them because of the high turnover rate. I wish the Sr. Director would have been more open to seeing what was going on and taken her head out of the Director's butt for one second and maybe she would have noticed how poorly her management team was and still is being treated so poorly by the Director she just absolutely adores.

Lastly, the hours we were expected to work (60+ in one week) were absolutely insane! That would drive anyone to the asylum!

Take a look around and see how many people are so unhappy because of your actions. Listen to your staff and be open to change. Maybe come back from those lavish ILI sessions and share what you learned with your team.

The measly salary management receives is NOT worth all of the stress!

Worked for Inova? Contribute to the Community!