Inova

Inova Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Inova President and CEO J. Knox Singleton

J. Knox Singleton

For 10+ years worked with great nurses and horrible management. Especially upper senior level management

RN II (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Inova part-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people I work with at the grunt level are knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge. Location to where I live. 5 miles from home. It's hard to find any more decent things to say about the system.

ConsNot staff friendly when it comes to scheduling. Too worried about what surveys say and the surveys don't ask relevant questions! If you have a family emergency....well good luck trying to find coverage. Poor, poor, pay. PRN for 10 years and not a penny raise. No benefits, no vacation pay, no sick pay. While the CEO gets bonuses in the six digit figures. Expect you to go out of your way when staffing on busy days, or inclement weather days, but no appreciation when you do go out of your way to help. Right now it is a cut throat environment. Everyone is walking on pins and needles waiting for the next blow to staffing. How they got Magnet Status is beyond me. Senior management is out of touch with what is really happening on the floors. The good directors get pooped upon because they don't play upper managements games and the bad directors are praised because they play the games with brown noses. Don't threaten my job because survey numbers are down.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen, really listen, to staff. Don't give us meaningless surveys. Let us take care of patients. It's what we do best. Your thoughts on how you expect us to take care of a patient from your glass house is not working.

It was the best of times....It was the worst of times.

Systems Office (Current Employee)

I have been working at Inova full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people (and by that I don't mean corporate or hospital leadership). I have never met a group of more caring, kind people. (oops, except IT)

ConsCuts that have no (despite the President's attempts at justification) rhyme or reason to them. All the recent layoffs were said to be built around benchmarks of like health care organizations. Uh, no they weren't. The staff who are caring and thoughtful get worked into the ground and run out the door. The jerks get promoted because they don't make waves.

Advice to Senior ManagementWALK THE WALK! I'll leave it at that because they know what I mean.

Good company, great people

I have been working at Inova full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is lots of opportunity, good work/life balance.

ConsInova is not afraid to paid employees BELOW market value.

Have had more good days than bad, but only because of nice group of co-workers

Non-clinical in System Office (Current Employee)
Springfield, VA

I have been working at Inova part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits for part-time employees

ConsPoor, noncompetitive salaries; bad vacation/sick time policy; ridiculous management structure and unrealistic focus on bottom line for a healthcare employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach about being "LEAN" when you have lavish ILI meetings. Don't lay off IT employees while everyone in system has computer issues. Don't have highly-paid Stauder and Burchard ask the lowly-paid masses to donate their earnings to causes and don't pressure employees to take meaningless surveys. Ditch the whole Gallup thing.

Great Hospital

RN II (Former Employee)
Fair Oaks, VA

I worked at Inova part-time for more than 10 years

ProsFamily atmosphere - good nurses - excellent care

Conscheck out takes too long - family has to wait

INOVA Fairoaks is the best of the three INOVAS

Doctor (Former Employee)
Ashburn, VA

I worked at Inova as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsFAIROAKS is the best of the group

ConsLoudoun is the worst of the group

Advice to Senior Managementtrim the fat

Good retirement job (non-clinical)

I have been working at Inova full-time for more than a year

Proswell-known hospital looks good on your resume, nice co-workers (mostly)

ConsNo opportunity for growth or education, supervisors and directors give no feedback and do not move forward with changes, everyone seems like they are here to do their 8 hours & get a paycheck, micromanaging is severe, Salary doesn't actually mean salary, no flex time and you have to use your PTO on the few holidays you actually get off.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut intelligent people(who know processes) in management positions

Great benefits including vacation/sick time

I have been working at Inova full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits, flexible hours and nice people to work with

ConsGet pinged if you are late to work because of weather or traffice

Being a PFS Supervisor at Inova is NOT all it's cracked up to be!

PFS Supervisor (Former Employee)
Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Good health benefits
- Descent location (Telestar)
- Great leadership training

ConsI was with Inova for 6 years and the latter part of my career there, I was promoted to PFS Supervisor; however, I had the absolute worst Director who was unsupportive, lacked consistent leadership abilities, and made the front line supervisors look like idiots mainly because she did not have our backs.

The sad part is the the Sr. Director never saw any of this. She had rose colored glasses on to what was going on in the department. I could not handle one more day working with a director who acted so bipolar.... one day supervisors were getting praised for a job well done and the next, we were getting our heads chewed off for one reason or another.

It was NOT a stable environment to be in. The AR staff could see the stress we were under and it really played an impact on them because of the high turnover rate. I wish the Sr. Director would have been more open to seeing what was going on and taken her head out of the Director's butt for one second and maybe she would have noticed how poorly her management team was and still is being treated so poorly by the Director she just absolutely adores.

Lastly, the hours we were expected to work (60+ in one week) were absolutely insane! That would drive anyone to the asylum!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look around and see how many people are so unhappy because of your actions. Listen to your staff and be open to change. Maybe come back from those lavish ILI sessions and share what you learned with your team.

The measly salary management receives is NOT worth all of the stress!

Great place to get experience but after leave.

Epic Credentialed Trainer (Former Employee)
Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits, great co-workers, great place for beginning a career in healthcare.

ConsOver worked and under paid

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school

Worked for Inova? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Inova reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Inova CEO J. Knox Singleton. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Inova employees.