www.inovalon.com

Updated December 17, 2014
2.5

Inovalon Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board Keith R. Dunleavy
Keith R. Dunleavy

Pros
  • Mentally stimulating and Flexible (able to work from home) (in 23 reviews)

• You'll learn a lot about Medicare Advantage plans (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The office culture is definitely for employees striving for work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• High turnover rate and benefits could be better (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing company in a competitive industry

I have been working at Inovalon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of room for growth at this company as it is growing like crazy. Health care information is a growth industry and you will be able to leverage your experience / knowledge with other companies.

Cons

Very high tempo and demanding environment. This company is not for the faint of heart. Lots of internal change going on right now and unclear as the the outcome

Align compensation with performance, i.e. bonuses

dba

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Snellville, GA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Snellville, GA

I have been working at Inovalon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, Very busy, need to be on your toes

Cons

too much work, Sr director doesn't care

care about the employee

Cronyism, Chaotic, Un-ethnical

Current Employee - Director in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Inovalon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, majority of the people

Cons

AAll of what you have read about MedAssurant/Inovalon on glass door is true. I have been an employee here for over 5yrs. This has to be one of the worst companies I have worked for in my career. The company does not value its employees and the attrition rate is horrible due to the lack of leadership and good management. The management from the CEO down to some of the Managers levels has no clue on how to manage. There is no true management training where the managers can learn how to manage people. If you get stuck with a bad Director or Manager, then your job and career path with be severely hindered. Some Directors and Managers constantly undermine you, even if you are a Manager, and do not allow you to have autonomy with managing your team. Coaching and mentoring is only done for those who are in the group that are taking advantage of the system. There are several people in management positions just because they have been there for some time or they are good friends with the upper levels. For instance, you have Vice Presidents that have risen to this position even though every product he has worked on or managed has eventually failed. I have never seen so many individuals get promoted when their performance was sub-par. In addition, they would make up positions crafted specifically for individuals. MedAssurant/Inovalon is ethically bankrupted.

Clear and defined roles and responsibilities do not exist. Since there are not clear and defined roles and departments and individuals are constantly pushing work off onto other teams. The departments and units do not receive a clear vision or mission from leadership. Lately, the only thing that seems to matter is the bottom line, trying to make the company look good to go public. It’s a very chaotic environment and everything is a priority. Depending which client is threatening to leave is what client issue you are working on. This happens because leadership sells the clients on how much revenue they will generate to them with pie in the sky analytics. There is no true strategic planning and no proactive actions to improve the products or systems. The company never takes to time to improve its existing products or IT infrastructure before they move on the next big thing. Employees are constantly working more than 40 hours a week and there is no work/life balance. It is expected for you to have not work/life balance and if you are not at their beckon call, they you are not going above and beyond therefore you are not exceptional no matter if you solved a problem saving the company millions of dollars.

The cronyism and family connection is rampant. There is so much backstabbing and tearing down of employees making it difficult to be successful. Instead of providing support and coaching to employees, they ignore you and try to find a way to diminish your role and eventually fire you. They work with other departments to work around you and keep you out of the loop. This is no way to provide an employee with the tools to be successful. Also, some Directors and Managers taint your reputation across the company telling others that you are incompetent, never providing any assistance or knowledge sharing, only with people in their select circle. The management also blocks employees from moving from teams to other teams. If you are either unhappy with your role, management, or you just would like to do something different, if the management believe there is a greater need for you to stay where you are, they will do everything within their power to block your move.

Although there are serious issues with management and some of the practices of this company, there are some great people who work there. People who strive to do better day in and day out. People who work to improve the products and processes the company sells. Many of these people go unnoticed and are acknowledge for any positive impact they have had.

There is also a Foreign National problem where they are hiring under qualified Foreign Nationals, friends and family members. Once they are in a management position, all others are not given the opportunity to obtain key positions. They mainly work with each other and exclude others on their team. In addition, they are manipulating the system by changing job descriptions in order to improve the Foreign Nationals status for a green card. There are least 5 Foreign National couples working there that I know of. I believe the Office of Inspector General and EEOC need to investigate. There may be some laws being broken which why I believe a human resource employee who was responsible for this process up and left when the company switch from contracting the legal services to in house.

It’s a very toxic department to work in. If you are not a mentally strong individual you will not be able to last a week. In the last two months at least 20 individuals have left the company within two weeks of working here. The company pays well, but what you have to deal with on a day to day basis may not be worth it. I would strongly recommend not working here if you have options.

Provide better management training, create better career tracks with defined roles and responsibilities.

Worst company ever

I worked at Inovalon

Pros

Location. Nice facilities. Free parking.

Cons

Terrible management. Organization lacks maturity. Work culture is poor. High turnover rate of employees.

Worst place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Inovalon

Pros

Decent salary and benefits. Lots of employment opportunities.

Cons

Lack of training, leadership is not qualified , High turnover.

Management needs training in how to effective manage.

Fair Place To Work

Current Employee - Site Review Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Site Review Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Inovalon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros: Work from home 98% of the time.if you have job travel, you might be gone for over 4 weeks.
    2. Flexible schedule.
    3. Great FRS's and ERCs (immediate supervisors.)

Cons

1. And this is important::: No benefits, but with the new ACA, you can get inexpensive health care.
    2.Beware of job lag, and work with it, You're supposed to stay at the computer waiting for work from them. This has a little to go with time management on your part, as well. Job lag happens less and less. I would not recommend this to a friend, cause they are very picky who they hire, and there are no benefits. Raises come regularly.. Sometimes checks can be $2,000, sometimes checks can be under $500. That is getting less and less.

Continue to abolish job lag. Also, if an email is sent to the higher office, it never gets answered.

No one asked me to write this review

I have been working at Inovalon full-time

Pros

I look forward to coming to work everyday. I get to work with colleagues who are not only talented (on top of their respective fields), but are also genuinely nice and caring. This is true not only for my department but across other departments as well. I derive great joy from working with them. Respectful of my experience and subject matter expertise, my manager gives me the full autonomy to do my job with no micromanagement. Yes, this job is intense and high pressure, but any high caliber job would be. The important thing is that you have happy moments while you're doing your job, being recognized for your hard work, and experience professional growth. I have all of that at Inovalon.

Cons

I would appreciate more flexibility in my job. As a woman with family, it'd be nice to be able to work from home with more regularity. The benefits can definitely be better (e.g., 7 paid federal holidays, high deductible insurance plans, etc.)

Technical support analyst

I have been working at Inovalon full-time

Pros

laid back, easy people to work with

Cons

lack of growth opportunity within the company

I have been working at Inovalon full-time

Pros

Good place to work if just starting out

Cons

none that I can think of

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Inovalon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only thing I can think of that is positive is that the pay is decent.

Cons

The health benefits are terrible. The company doesn't foster teamwork & most areas aren't willing to help outside their immediate team. There is a lot of gossip & throwing people under the bus. Management seems to turn a blind eye to this behavior. It appears that promotions are luck of the draw because people that have been here for years working towards growth are often overlooked for people who are very new (5 yr employee passed over for a 3 month employee). Management wants employees to use personal resources for work without reimbursement. Very high attrition rate that seems to be going unaddressed. Overall employees are not treated equally which has led to extremely low moral.

Instead of "suggesting" employees write positive reviews to hide the issues, work on fixing the issues. Treat all employees equally in terms of promotions, raises and bonuses. Be the company you claim to be.