Inovalon

Updated December 17, 2014
2.5

Inovalon Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board Keith R. Dunleavy
Keith R. Dunleavy

Pros
  • Mentally stimulating and Flexible (able to work from home) (in 23 reviews)

• You'll learn a lot about Medicare Advantage plans (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The office culture is definitely for employees striving for work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• High turnover rate and benefits could be better (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Field Technician

I have been working at Inovalon

Pros

Good pay and hours and no weekends

Cons

Not enough hours less than part time

Too many higher ups getting paid alot.

Company has a future, but not sure it'll get there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Inovalon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The opportunities exist, the salary is fair, the benefits are adequate. The people are generally friendly and the work hours have some flexibility.

Cons

Work/life balance exists for most of the worker bees, but not for the management team in general. The leaders are all afraid of the owner of the company. I think the company would do much better with better direction, although the company has made some advanced technological capital investments (Big Data and Private Cloud). Very stressful work environment.

Think about why people are leaving and be honest about what you're being told. The staff seems to be wasting a lot of time providing whatever the need of today is coming from the top and then the management trying to figure out how to make sure Keith is happy instead of being honest with him. A few of the top level execs don't like to hear bad news, so they have surrounded themselves with "yes" people. Not a healthy executive group for the company to move foreward.

New BA

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Inovalon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to learn from

Cons

No One stays very long

Leadership incompetence.

I worked at Inovalon full-time

Pros

Smart and hardworking people to work with.

Cons

Smart and hardworking people stuck in working for an incompetent CTO who cannot differentiate between what is digital and analog. Brought his incompetent bunch to the company to bring havoc and discontent. Confuses software development with payphone repair, totally clueless. Was a reject from a smart telecom company (they were smart before they fired him).

Does not care about staff and does not understand that leadership is motivating people and make people work with you because they believe your vision, aligned with your goals and all I can see is people spending their time trying to find another job to get as far from Inovalon because they do not trust you.

Start doing some skip level meetings and ask about how they feel about their leadership.

Find another company

I have been working at Inovalon

Pros

Free parking is a plus.

Cons

The C-Suite does not jump into the affairs of the lower level management and anything goes at this company.

Don't overthink this. Do not work at Inovalon. Be patient and go somewhere else. You have been warned!

Current Employee - Director in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Inovalon full-time

Pros

Please understand - The remote employees have a different experience. If you work at the Melford, Annapolis, or Bowie location, DO NOT TAKE THE Job.

Also, the company tells people who to put positive reviews on Glassdoor. Who does that? Sadly, it still doesn't work.

There are not any PROs. I would recommend going back to school and getting a Masters; take a class to get a certification while working part-time in a less stressful environment; or working for any other company. Period.

You have been warned.

Cons

After reading all the other reviews, there is not one lie. This place isn't bad; its horrible. This is my true experience and it is my fault I did not listen.

When I was interviewed by 3 Directors; 1 told me "Do not come here"! And I didn't even listen. I should have. In the actual office hallway, another Director asked me about my work history and said, "You are going the wrong way in life coming here. You only work here if you can't get a job anywhere else" The Director was right. You read this mumbo jumbo stuff on Glassdoor about Type "A" people. Stop it. Stop it. You ONLY stay here if you can't get a job ANYWHERE else. For example, if you have Visa issues, you have self-esteem issues, are undereducated for the market, or you have fear issues about the job market (adverse to risk).

The attrition is so high, it is normal to have 2-3 different Directors, Senior Mgrs., or Managers leading your team within 6-12 months. That is normal. Almost entire departments turnover within 1 year; definitely 2 years.

Now lets list the Cons:

No Work/Life Balance: Work 60-70 hrs. or get fired. Some work easily 80 hours a week with absolutely ZERO recognition. That isn't overtime pay folks.
    Poor treatment of Employees - There is not any development of employees.
    You must avoid all Executives or get assigned hypothetical work that will take you 2 weeks to complete; then they will not even use it.
    Run...I mean Run...and avoid all meetings or interactions with the CEO Keith. His DNA should be tested to see if he is even human.
    Horrible Benefits
    HR is absolutely the worst in the nation (Who schedules interviews and does not call and I'm not talking about the potential employee, but the HR Rep) Man! I still overlooked the signs.

- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED -

Well, at this point you know you can't sell the company because its no good, so maybe just maybe you will spend the next 5-10 years and build a real company. Stop laughing at me.

Believe all the negative reviews...this company is a mirage

Current Employee - Director in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Inovalon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At first HR and my hiring manager made the company appear as if is the leader in the industry and are growing year over year. I found once I moved from another state and packed my family up to move here that what I was told were lies. I have met great co-workers and keep in touch with previous employees.

Cons

There are many many cons working here. I tried to make the best of it and am currently looking to leave here soon. I have had 4 bosses in a period of 3 years. In fact my whole dept was replaced with me transferring into it just to see it be built up then dismantled again. I currently have no boss as they haven't replaced that person still after many many months. Most jobs don't get replaced after someone leaves or they get filled in 9 months time. Look at the BD and marketing dept which has the highest turnover rate in the company. 2 people try to run it but all they do is run it to the ground, lying to clients, pretending to know what they are doing, kissing the CEO on many levels, working everyone to the point of exhaustion. The ELT is pissed at all the negative reviews on this site and told us to write positive reviews on this site (basically lie on here) and have tried to get many negatives reviews taken down on here. I can't lie about this company. This is the worst company to work for.

Sitting in company meetings all week makes my head spin. Nothing gets accomplished when the CEO talks and talks about himself and how he can all do a better job than we all can. He gets involved in sales and client services and constantly puts people down in meetings by pointing out on a PowerPoint presentation that the person left out a period on page 259 or the color on a graphic was blurry.

You have been warned not to work here. RUN far away from here. Unless you like to be humiliated, like long hours, like to work on weekends, get hundreds of internal emails everyday from ELT, never see your family, like losing your hair, hardly sleep, cry when Monday comes around, etc.

I like the new President but the ELT are working against him due to their loyalty to the CEO. Keep the CEO out of meetings and let the CPO and the President do their jobs to get moral up.

Honesty Love The Quality Department

Current Employee - Lead Coder Quality Department in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Coder Quality Department in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Inovalon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, the people. The company goes out of its way to have moral boosters. As a member of the lead Quality Department, I have seen the time and effort that goes into helping those who need it. When I left the company (worst mistake I have made) they welcomed me back with open arms. People are promoted through hard work. I started as a remote reviewer then became a Lead. I did this with hard work and dedication. If you are thinking of applying for this company, work hard, stay positive, take pride and you will succeed!

Cons

The work is hard. It is not for everyone. But that's why they call it WORK. That's why they pay us to do it. It honestly comes down to if you can do the job correctly or not. But if you ask for help and work hard to get it right, it will just click.

The only suggestion I have is for upper management to interact more with the reviewers. We know you are busy, but a quick phone call or email (not a mass email) telling them they are doing a good job would mean a lot.

A Great Learning Opportunity

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Bowie, MD

I worked at Inovalon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will work hard, but learn a lot. This place really launched my career and I am grateful for that. It's great to be part of a team that is driven and is considered to be the best in the industry. I had the best co-workers and a fabulous manager. I can't speak for others on glassdoor, but my managers (VP level and C-level) always cared about my career growth and were understanding about my work life balance when I needed it. If you have a strong passion to do well at your job you will do well here.

Cons

You put in a lot of hours. The benefits could be better. There is a lot of turn over which can be frustrating when trying to get projects done. Approval processes can be painfully long. I always told the people I interviewed to work at Inovalon that you had to be a Type A personality. If you aren't driven to succeed in your career this is not the place for you.

I think upper management is on the right track. They are making huge strides to improve the culture for their employees. The only advice would be to continue to pay attention to how hard your teams are working and reward them when it's earned.

The grass is not greener if you chose to work at Inovalon.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Inovalon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good location / nice office

Cons

It's all about Inovalon and nothing about their employees. The recruiters are slick in their approach. When you think something is off and red flags are in your face - GO with that. Biggest regret that I left my company for this mess. The recruiters are not truthful. I was told the turnover was bad and it is horrific. Biggest regret and I will be exiting with less than 8 months. Do walk but RUN.