Inovalon Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
2.4

Inovalon Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board Keith R. Dunleavy
Keith R. Dunleavy

Pros
  • Mentally stimulating and Flexible (able to work from home) (in 22 reviews)

• You'll learn a lot about Medicare Advantage plans (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The office culture is definitely for employees striving for work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• High turnover rate and benefits could be better (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

CCN

Former Employee - Ccn  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Ccn in Lansing, MI

I worked at Inovalon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Money was good and hours were good.

Cons

Very stressful and I was fired after I had back surg. Had to be off longer than 12 weeks. Employees in Lansing were let go even after Dr Dunleavy said they were not closing Lansing and our jobs were secure. They lied to us over and over. All of the head people kept saying no worries our jobs were secure.. If you can not be honest with people what trust can we have

Be honest to your employees.

Horrible

Former Employee - Help Desk Specialist  in  Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Help Desk Specialist in Bowie, MD

I worked at Inovalon full-time for less than a year

Pros

-manager was decent
    -benefits were decent

Cons

-no HR programs
    -very little company involvement
    -micromanaging = death
    -not flexible with hours

-listen to your team

Poor leadership

I have been working at Inovalon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers, comradery amongst team members. Staff is some of the locations are kind enough to generously support charities (corporate not so generous).

Cons

Poor direction, too many leaders but no leadership. Instability, frequent lay offs, high turnover, poor morale, poor treatment of associates. Few opportunities for advancement/growth. You are a number, and when they have used you up, they spit you out.

Fewer buzzwords, and more direction. Fewer managers, senior managers, directors, senior directors, and C-suite guys that do little more than blah, blah, blah and create layers so Dr. Dunleavy really has no idea what is happening at the associate level. They speak about the culture, put posters on the walls, but don't model the hype. There is really no concern for the employees from leadership or HR. Address the way you treat people, when people stay and have high morale your customers will be better served, and maybe you will be able retain them too.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

work environment

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Inovalon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Have flexible working hours, work from home option available, good salary and compensation, diverse culture

Cons

There is not much to learn, responsibliities and work load varries by departments

Keep your resumè updated!

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Inovalon full-time

Pros

A foot in the door to the healthcare data analytics field. You will work with some good people and make solid connections for when you leave. There ARE good managers among the bad, and there ARE good colleagues to work with. The paychecks don't bounce.

Cons

Where do I even begin.

Have a look at some of these reviews and ask yourself why there are 10 negative ones for every positive one, which were probably posted by some shill in HR anyway. I will echo what they have to say from my own experience below.

I have met Keith Dunleavy on multiple occasions. He is a very sharp man. He is also extremely greedy, demanding, and unsympathetic to the employees who actually do the work to make the company successful. He is the emperor of his domain and it is his way or the highway. He surrounds himself with sycophantic executives and "handlers" whose job it is to prepare a room before his entrance, so as not to say or do anything to make him angry. This is not a man who responds well to criticism, and the entire culture of the company reflects it. Heed this fact.

Turnover at all levels is incredible. The average senior manager's tenure can be measured in months, not years. Those who don't toe the line are swiftly shown the door, and those who can no longer bear Dunleavy's imposing demands find it on their own. I have had five different managers in as many years, and none are still with the company. Despite the cute, jingoistic corporate propaganda constantly being shoved down our throats about how great the company is, and how much Inovalon aspires to be an "Employer of Choice", most employees don't seem to stay very long. Heed this fact.

Stress is insane, as are work expectations. Your life and well-being come in a distant second to deliverables, period. Fun story: early one Friday it was found that one of the automated process had failed and had to be run manually. This team, which had started working on the problem at 8:00 AM Friday morning, worked straight through until 5:00 AM the following morning, at which point the lead sent out an email saying, "Thank you for your effort, team. Let's take a break and reconvene at 8:00." For this you may get a pat on the back or a 10 dollar gift card to Starbucks. This amount of unwavering dedication is expected. Heed this fact.

Let one thing be known above all else: you are nothing more than a number here. This company owes you no allegiance whatsoever, and they haven't the slightest bit of compunction firing you on a whim and without notice. Employees are managed by "headcount". A fifth of the company was let go entirely without warning due to incompetent budgetary management, which was ENTIRELY preventable by a more conservative growth trajectory. But that is not how Keith rolls. Entire office locations are closed "strategically" and without notice. The moment you as an employee no longer contribute enough to the bottom line, you're gone the same day. Heed this fact.

Still want to work at Inovalon?

Dr. Dunleavy, sell the company already and retire to Monaco. Your employees are sick of being worked to the bone to pad your bottom line and it shows. Don't bother sending out employee surveys unless you actually care enough about the responses to address our concerns, because right now the only thing you I.N.S.P.I.R.E. us to do is keep our resumès up to date.

Dismal, Depressing, Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD

I worked at Inovalon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here. Maybe if you just absolutely love Bowie, MD, but even then there are better jobs at the shopping mall across the street.

Cons

This is the worst company in the world there is nothing good to say about it. Beware that, Big Brother is watching. Do not trust anyone; no one is safe here. If you are thinking of working here, don't. If you work here, get out. If you're a new executive and have been working here more than six months, congratulations, you've figured "it" out - Valium and Prozac helps until you can find work elsewhere. Morale is so low it's underground. Stress is so bad you lose one year of life for every year you work here. Pay and benefits are a joke.

Get out and find another job before the bottom falls out of this hyper-inflated turkey. If you're a senior executive get out before your name appears on the front page of the Wall Street Journal - and not for good news.

If you take a job here, you will regret it........

I worked at Inovalon full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met some of the most hardworking, educated, innovative people at Inovalon. Unfortunately, most of them left and I did as well.

Cons

The CEO will hold you captive in a 2 hour meeting to discuss his disgust that a diagram on a proposal, slick, letter, presentation, etc., should be .3% smaller. Or that the letter "p" on page 1, 582 is in font 8 and should be 9. And....the person who allowed this to happen (because he never remembers anyone's name) should be given a warning. I've never seen an ELT team led by someone so incompetent.

CEO, CEO, CEO. Did I mention the CEO?

It seems to me that someone is listening, as they finally hired a real executive (President). Unfortunately, until the CEO is dismissed, the problems will continue. Stop the CEO from going out on every sales call/presentation and ruining the sale with his dog and pony show. Let the salespeople do their job! . Inovalon will be nonexistent soon, as anyone in the healthcare industry is aware that the moment you mention you work or worked at Inovalon, the immediate response is " I'm sorry". Inovalon's reputation in the healthcare industry is not a good one.

Disorganization

Current Employee - RCRC  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - RCRC in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Inovalon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

*Work from home.
    *Decent pay but not great.
    *Room to advance, though, not sure I'd want to.

Cons

*Unrealistic expectations! They now make everyone take a 40 question test EVERY MONTH. A score below 95% results in being written up.
    *Leads and managers who have know idea how to treat human beings and will not hesitate to throw you under the bus AND put a brick on the pedal to cover their own rear. They are not all bad, though, the good ones just don't last long.
    *Very high turnover rate/widespread layoffs with little notice. This means that "leadership" is constantly changing and people/teams are shuffled around without notice making it very difficult for form decent working relationships.
    *Inconsistent "Operating Procedures" (they only apply when it benefits them)
    *Outdated equipment.

"Simply, not a good company. Do not compromise integrity for money. I regret it."

Current Employee - Manager  in  Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Inovalon full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Decent Salary
    - I'm trying
    -Oh, room for advancement because of the high attrition rate.
    -If you get a decent manager, you will survive.

Cons

The bearable Cons:

-No work/life balance. None. There are some people that I am positive are not seeing there family.
    -Horrible ELT except for CPO/COO (C.G.) who should be CEO and just change the culture of the company.
    -Attrition rate is extremely high. The talented leave fast. The very talented leave like they are breaking out of a bank! I have never seen so many people quit like this at a company.
    -No Professional development

What actually is truly unbearable:

The company absolutely cares Nothing for you; whether you bust your tail or not.
    It is blatantly obvious the CEO is not a good person and must be avoided at ALL times.
    CYA mentality companywide. Throw a man under the bus and put a cement block on the gas pedal.
    Smart people that ONLY like to talk...list to the echo of themselves talk...then talk some more.
    Everything is a Fire Drill/Emergency. How can every request be a Fire Drill?
    Such poor character being displayed in much of leadership.
    Such poor integrity; a business model that is built on disorganization and squeezing money out of every client, with very little concern for truly impacting the lives of people.

You finally hired a real President, because you couldn't overlook so many talented people leaving. Good Move.
    Invest in your employees. Just give a resemblance that you care about them. The culture must change or this company will not last 5 more years. Why such a strong prognosis? You have a strong CPO/COO that is committed to change, but there are too many CEO pleasers on the ELT who appear to undermine his efforts. Its pitiful.

An Exciting Challenge

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Inovalon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility of work hours; challenging work environment that pushes you to perform your best; leadership team is responsive and knowledgeable; competitive benefits; friendly work place with great co-workers; go-getter atmosphere where you're often free to run with new ideas

Cons

Can easily be overworked during rush times, often putting in 10+ hours a day; high turnover rate, higher in the reviewer positions but still pretty high in management; new-school technology company with an old-school mindset (formal business attire everyday); inconsistent with rules across company

Worked for Inovalon? Contribute to the Community!