InsideSales.Com

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
3.1

David Elkington

Pros
  • The company is growing rapidly but at the expense of the regular employees (in 11 reviews)

• Free soda, for the most part good people to work with at your level (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's ridiculous how much attention upper management pays to sites like this (in 10 reviews)

• There are two types of employees here, new and disgruntled as stated in the other reviews and that is 100% true (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Like riding a fun, thrilling, enjoyable, fast pace train; where the train is losing parts as it's speeds along.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Let me start off with saying, InsideSales.com is an amazing place to work, but it's not perfect. The executive team has a clear vision of where the company is headed and what should happen to make that happen. Now, does the executive team always deliver this message clearly to all employees...no; but if you're able to stick out the rough patches and work through some of the faults, InsideSales.com is fun and worth the bumpy ride.

I get that InsideSales.com is bumpy at times and the management (not executives) are young and inexperienced; however, I also realize InsideSales.com is growing at a very fast pace and sometime it's trial by fire. The managers have a big target on their back because they need to prove themselves. Sometimes they don't manage great, but I know how much the executives know about this and are trying to fix it. There is a huge push for Leadership Development and the company is spending a lot of money to help development their current and potential leaders.

If you are able to see the vision the executives have defined and are passionate about that vision, you will LOVE InsideSales.com. The people are fun and extremely smart, the executives all have their strengths and these strengths all work in tandem (even if their individual personalities don't). You'll find your self an a very fun thrilled train ride, where you'll see parts flying off but the train doesn't slow down. As time goes by, you'll see these parts slowly come back and the train stills keeps on rolling.

Cons

I mentioned these a little above. The biggest con is the management (not executives). Most of the managers are young and inexperienced at managing. They may have been top performers and proven themselves to the executives as a performer, but they don't quite know how to manage. Because this is their first time managing, they are trying to prove themselves by micro-managing and frankly, being a little too strict.

I happen to understand this problem because I've been with the company for 2+ years and I've seen the growth and the change InisdeSales.com has made. The company is 100%+ better than it was 2+ years ago, and in another 2 years I know it will be 100%+ better than it is now. The problem comes, if you aren't able or patient enough to wait out the storm. Sometimes it feels like the parts on the train are smacking you in the face as they fall off, or you are expected to jump of the train, grab the part, and jump back on (the train never stops). That is not a fun feeling, but those leading the company know this is happening, and they are striving to make changes.

Have more 1-on-1s to better understand your people.

I get your under pressure, but I also know that in my experience, the executives don't fire anyone unless they absolutely have to, and you typically get many chances. Don't be afraid to try something new and fail, failure is just a chance to hone your management skills. Don't default to micro managing everything, you don't have to, just test things out and figure what works for you and your team. If you get pressure from the executives be honest and blunt with them, tell them you are testing different management skills and are trying to find what works for your and your team.

The executives may seem scary and are just waiting for you to fail, but they aren't. They just really love InsideSales.com and they all believe and want InsideSales.com to succeed and be the company they know it can be.

Oct 25, 2014SVP, Talent Acceleration

Love your train parts analogy. Experiencing hyper-growth simultaneous with building-up the train for scale is messy and painful at times. You are right that strong leadership at all levels is one ... More

A "software" company with huge potential but failing to reach it

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It seems like ISDC is going somewhere. They flaunt awards, numbers, growth, etc. The ideas and products they have are actually very cool. They are shaking up the Sales and SaaS industry. There is potential here, and the allure of being "part of it" is certainly there.

Cons

This is my experience as a software engineer. To put in succinctly: the development department is a disaster.

They have such great ideas for products, but the implementation is incredibly poor. The software is extremely hard to use and even harder to develop. The technology behind their products is incredibly stagnant and years behind. Good practices are non existent and the "architects" create horribly designed software and then pass it on to other employees to maintain. It's almost impossible to change things because it was so poorly designed in the first place and has no documentation or tests. There are things that everyone knows are bad but it's nearly impossible to change anything about it because it would take time to change it and because management doesn't understand how important it is to improve things like that so we are never given time. The amount of technical debt and crappy code that they call "technical debt" is staggering.

The culture is miserable. It feels like there is no direction or cohesion. There is no ownership at all, "throw it over the wall" mentality prevails. Everyone expects someone else to fix things and improve the culture. They are hiring like mad, but the pay is poor so they end up with an army of mediocre developers. And believe me, mediocre is an understatement for some of the developers I've worked with here.

The management style is bizarre. They micromanage everything and yet the managers really have no idea what is really going on. ISDC treats it's developers like cattle. You are given no room to prove yourself or excel. I'm not really sure what the role of Dev Managers and Product Managers is supposed to be at ISDC. The Dev Managers are typically only slightly technical and attend meetings all day so that they feel like they are doing something. Product Managers are completely non-technical and as far as I can tell most of what they do is waste time online and play foosball between interrupting developers and wasting their time.
    What I've seen work in the past at other companies is to have the team leads fill both of these roles. The team lead is close to the team members and the code. They understand the technical side of things and how important they are and can prioritize. Instead, at ISDC non technical people make all the technical decisions and team leads are no different from team members.

Seriously need to restructure development. Need new leadership that knows how development shops should be run. Give your employees ownership of the things that need to be fixed and then trust them to do it. They know how things should be and don't need to be micromanaged (assuming you pay for and hire competent people). Team leads should be given the responsibilities of the Dev Manager and Product Management. Allow them to grow and excel and actually lead. Product management is 90% useless and Dev Managers are filling the role that team leads should be doing.

Pay your people better. Stop hiring so many mediocre employees. Your code base and culture is in dire shape and the current direction is not going to help.

Oddly enough, I think ISDC will continue to do well despite how pathetic their development department is. I just don't want to be a part of it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Nov 15, 2014SVP, Talent Acceleration

Suffice to say you aren't thrilled with your experience here on many fronts. The point I'll most vehemently, but respectively, disagree with is that your fellow Accelerators are "mediocre". I'm ... More

Sales Acceleration

I have been working at InsideSales.Com

Pros

Comparable health plan to other companies, plus benefits active the first day of employment.

Cons

Excellent vision of company and growth plans from high-level view; lower-level may experience friction in daily tasks and operations with rapid change.

Maintain transparency among employees and forward-looking plans

Nov 15, 2014SVP, Talent Acceleration

Thanks for your input. The growth opportunities in the market we are creating are infinite. We have added 250 "Accelerators"so far this year - representing 85% growth- and they are the key to us ... More

Dynamic environment working with smart, talented and experienced teammates.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time

Pros

- Opportunity to be a part of a winning team and culture
    - Working with and learning from experienced and talented co-workers
    - Work-life balance is evident (family oriented environment)
    - Flexible work environment where results are emphasized (rather than a lot of red-tape)

Cons

Growing pains. As the company experiences hyper growth, retooling of processes, systems, and bringing in experienced leadership, the transition requires patience and perspective at times.

Find ways to celebrate victories throughout the organization. Improve internal communications so that wins are evident along the journey.

Oct 20, 2014SVP, Talent Acceleration

Thanks for your review. We are glad you are finding this to be an engaging place to grow your career. We take your advice to heart as we look for ways to continually improve.

Nice Job and Very Good People

Current Employee - Associate Quality Assurance Analyst in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Quality Assurance Analyst in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a fast growing company that really rewards people who do their best to help. The culture is very friendly and open. The pay and benefits are good. Time off is definitely adequate and easy to schedule. The bosses are helpful and supportive. It's just a good, growing company.

Cons

People complain about parking, but I show up 3 minutes early and get a nice spot.

Consider applying quality control measures to all client-facing work, not just the development department. I found a message sent out to all the clients from another department that had several elementary grammar errors.

Oct 25, 2014SVP, Talent Acceleration

As you state, meritocracy reigns here. Our consistent hyper-growth is continuing to allow us to invest incrementally in rewards for our 'Accelerators'. And thanks for your advice- your discovery is ... More

Great Company with a Bright Future

Current Employee - Anonymous in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

InsideSales.com is great. Everything continues to improve, which is very encouraging. Benefits continually get better. Company training, lunches, and parties are nicer. We have signed on new building space. We are hiring more senior leaders who help to mature the company. Dave E. has worked hard to grow the company and is slowly letting go of things and letting his leaders lead. There's lots of opportunity. This job is what you make it.

Cons

We're not quite there yet. We're still growing up. There are a lot of growing pains, which is normal for a company growing this fast. We're out of space.

Help employees to see the vision, the reason for growth, and what impact they can have. I don't always feel like I know what I'm doing - it's great to allow employees the freedom and flexibility to do their job, but provide more training relevant to each position.

Oct 20, 2014SVP, Talent Acceleration

Thanks for your feedback. We are continually progressing on a path of providing an environment that facilitates brilliant people doing the best work of their careers and being rewarded for it. We ... More

The best company ever to come out of Utah

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

InsideSales is a winner, period. It is going after the right market with the right solution. Its hypergrowth gives talented people a chance to shine and grow and be part of a winning team

Cons

People who have not seen the movie before and/or are not cut out for the pace of InsideSales might get left behind. There isn't a lot of nurturing... the good rise, and the rest get left behind. This environment isn't for everyone, but it's been the same at every other hyper-growth company I've been affiliated with.

Keep it up!

Oct 20, 2014SVP, Talent Acceleration

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad to hear you feel so positive about the environment. We are continually working on ways to improve how we nurture and grow our brilliant talent. We just kicked ... More

No Pressure, No Diamonds...

Current Employee - Team Leader in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are good, we will know quickly. If you are not so good, we will know quickly.
    Yes, you have to be nimble and adjust to hyper growth. That's a good thing.
    Perks are here, yes, but if that's what drives you.. keep driving.
    This company is a diamond in the rough.

Cons

We have a bazillion dollars in VC funding with the same groups that backed Amazon, Google and Groupon. That's immense pressure to meet and exceed those expectations and those that haven't been able to perform to that standard, aren't here and seem to be a little bitter about it.
    Bottom line is this: We have engaged leaders here. That means accountability from the top down.

Let your managers manage more effectively and give us more tools to do so.

Oct 20, 2014SVP, Talent Acceleration

Thanks for your feedback. I like the 'diamond in the rough' analogy; the concept of 'exceptional future potential while currently lacking the final touches'. Very fair statement. And you are ... More

Growing like crazy-TRY TO KEEP UP!!

I have been working at InsideSales.Com

Pros

There are a ton of opportunities with insidesales.com. Because of their growth, you can train in just about any area and have a fulfilling long term career. Amazing product and cool technology are just some of the great things you get to represent. CEO has a lot of passion and enthusiasm for the product and the company as a whole.

Cons

Because of the growth, it's can be disorganized and chaotic. You need to be a leader within any project or task you take on. You cannot hide in the shadows and just "do your job". You need to be smart, sharp and on your game or you won't survive.

Continue to be aware of the growth and movement and plan a bit longer term.

Oct 20, 2014SVP, Talent Acceleration

Thanks for your feedback. It is a wild ride we are on! As you state, growth opportunities are in abundance as 60% of our "Accelerators" (what we call our employees) have either been promoted or ... More

InsideSales.com is definitely the place to be!

Current Employee - Administration in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Administration in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love InsideSales.com and see myself here for the long haul. We have innovative software products and a niche in the market that will propel us into going global and hopefully public very soon. Dave and Ken think outside the box and are beyond most other company executives with their innovation and foresight. They keep us all on our toes.

Yes, there are some growing pains and we do things in a "scrappy" way, but that's why we are successful. The culture is fun and our executives really care about us. I thoroughly enjoy working with my executive vice president who is so professional, ethical, thorough, patient, and understanding. He is one reason I took this job. I knew I would learn from him and I am doing just that daily.

Cons

We are growing very quickly and efficiencies improve daily. The benefits package isn't as good as what I previously had but I know it will only get better because InsideSales wants to be competitive in the employment market. Parking could be better, but when we move into our new building, that won't be a problem anymore. (4-6 months to move-in)

Keep it up! Keep hiring seasoned professionals while also giving opportunities to our entry-level team members who will grow and progress with the company.

Oct 20, 2014SVP, Talent Acceleration

Thanks for your feedback. Glad you love it here. We are working hard to keep it fun and continually provide career growth for current Accelerators while strategically adding new brilliant people ... More