InsideTrack

www.insidetrack.com

InsideTrack Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2014
InsideTrack – Nashville – “The Nashville Office”

InsideTrack – Nashville – “The Nashville Office”

InsideTrack Chief Executive Officer Pete Wheelan

Pete Wheelan

Clients

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsJust wanted to follow up on review below that says we mostly work with "for profit" colleges: not at all true. The majority of our current clients are traditional nonprofit universities and community colleges, as well as non profit adult and professional schools.

Working at insidetrack can differ greatly depending on which client team/student population you work with. Not everyone is a match for all types. If you stay long enough and are open about your development areas, willing to work you tail end off no matter what team you are on and honest with your managers about fit- you can almost always (with patience) end up matched with a client/student population that meets your strengths.

ConsThe current climate for funding of support resources in higher education can lead to shifting contracts with clients despite coaching performance results (retention primarily) far surpassing expectations. This can lead to frequently shifting staffing needs and can be tough on folks who've poured their hearts into students and getting results for clients. It can be hard to surpass an expected goal and not have that mean client renewal or expansion.

Strong professional development, improving leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe values of the company are admirable, and most in leadership genuinely share the passion of the newest hire.

Work-life balance is becoming more and more positive, with flexible scheduling more likely these days.

Office culture: the people are trained as highly-skilled communicators and among the most tight-knit and caring you could meet. Very self aware, and those who do not fit in with the culture are not ostracized, but welcomed and accommodated. If you make the effort, we're eager to have you. If not, help us find the way. If unwilling, you might not plug in as well and might find your way out, but most people who last a year can find their way through this just fine, leaving on their own terms if at all.

Good pay in each office, and as long as you're willing to do the job you should be able to keep it and earn modest raises whatever you do.

Put in 1+ years (during which you get constant professional development) and you can learn the ropes...and the people to know. That is, the people with whom you work make all the difference, and finding your best fit with managers, coaches, etc. should be your first task when you start, besides learning your craft. Advancement and development are available, but require the employee to drive the processes (even those that take time).

ConsContracts with clients shift business needs and opportunities, so the hiring and promotion processes are never guaranteed. Sometime they take significantly longer than expected; other times multiple leaps up the ladder may be made to meet needs.

Benefits are okay for single individuals (well covered by the InsideTrack), but expensive (maybe prohibitively so) for families. However, the company does support families through good FMLA, new mother, flex schedule, and related practices.

Senior managers might fall into the old guard and the outside blood, but these two get along very well with C-level being the best staffed in years. However, old guard can get bogged down in past processes to the detriment of emerging needs, and newer blood can miss the context necessary to learn from our past efforts. To be expected, but it means that we might lose or mishandle some great opportunities. Expecting this to improve in the next 6-12 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye to innovation, including innovative ways to utilize staff. You'll lose more talent (into whom you've sunk costs) or continue to under-utilize your staff if tied to closely to traditional staffing for all. It's easiest that way, but not smartest.

Overly idealistic - Only a job for the very outgoing

Success Coach (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsUpper management is very nice. There is an excellent program for coach development. However there is little to no opportunity for growth outside of the coaching position.

ConsThe job is VERY emotionally and mentally draining. You are working with mostly for-profit colleges that have a scam reputation. And essentially your job is to keep students enrolled at these schools even if its not in their best interest.

What InsideTrack does sounds really good on paper. And I'm sure that they have helped a few students along the way. But they are built and funded on the student federal loan bubble that will eventually pop.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

constant change, constant calls

Prospective Student Coach (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe people I work with are incredible. This company feels very energetic and idealistic. It's a nice mix of people fresh off the college press (like I was) and seasoned veterans of the higher ed community. You will gain killer communication skills, since you will talk with people from all walks off life about very touchy subjects. Lots of autonomy once you become a seasoned or certified "master" coach. Pretty great flexibility with working different hours on different days or working from home a couple days a week.

Cons"Voicemail jail" is real and it's hard. It can be hard calling the same student over and over when you know they don't want to talk. It can also be exhausting to not see the outcomes of your work. I am a PSC and it often takes several months to know if the work you did actually paid off, so you just have to work on faith. The company is very bottom heavy, with very few positions outside of coaching. I would love to try something in HR or training, but there are also probably 100 other coaches right behind me. There are also constant initiatives and surveys that fill my inbox. I feel like the vision of the company is always changing and I have stopped keeping track of the newest "fad" in coach development because it will just change in another 4-6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more structure around team changes. Since we gain and lose accounts all the time, it can be challenging for HR to put everyone in their "homes." However, some people move teams at such a pace that they forget what school they are calling for. There need to be some minimums set in place so that clients have a more consistent team to work with. For instance, a coach (unless the account is cute) needs to stay on one team for at least 4-5 months before they can be considered to move to another team. Also, considering creating more roles for employees that don't necessarily have to be linked to increased compensation. Coaching by itself gets so boring after awhile. I would have settled for another title indicating some type of distinction or management, even without a pay increase. Perhaps a "team coaching quality manager" who is in charge of assigning and reviewing call scores in place of the manager. Or outsourcing some of the manager's duties to a coach and giving them a title. I don't always want more pay, I would just like other skills and job titles to add to my resume.

A good out of college job

Senior Coach (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsI liked working so intimately with students and the professional development/training opportunites at ITK were really great. It was still relatively new when I was there and when I see the LinkedIn profiles of people I used to work with, it seems like most of them are in leadership roles now with more responsibility, so I didn't feel like there was a glass ceiling.

Leadership was pretty good, in my opinion. The longer I was there the more I was left to my own devices for the most part to manage my portfolio.

ConsIt actually was hard for me to separate work and life because most of my coworkers became my friends so even off shift ITK was all around. This was really common. There seems to be an unspoken expectation that you are very involved socially.

Fulfilling work, frustrating promotion structure

Senior Coach (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGenuinely fantastic co-workers.. I've made life-long friends here. Amazing professional development opportunities, on-going training, excellent team of folks committed to helping you learn how to do your job better. Motivating mission to be a part of - helping college students have the best experience possible and develop skills to get to graduation and beyond. Nice office environment. The benefits are really great as well.

ConsYou can work hard, go above and beyond expectations, volunteer your limited time to new initiatives and genuinely believe in the mission, and still get passed over time and time again for promotions. There are too many coaches who are ready right now to jump into a management position, and no positions available. The last several management positions have been filled by current managers who are making lateral moves. This leaves valuable employees feeling under-valued and stuck, with no financial incentive to stay. As coaches, we work with students to look at their degrees as opportunities to stop living paycheck to paycheck. This is wildly frustrating, as most coaches are currently living paycheck to paycheck ourselves, and don't feel confident that if we are just patient, an opportunity will come for us to use our leadership skills and enjoy the financial boost of a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow coaches that they are valued by providing monetary compensation when there are no promotions available. Get creative with how you reward and recognize hard work, or you will lose your biggest asset - coaches who work hard and believe in your mission.

Little-to-no career guidance

Senior Coach (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsMission-driven work with a bigger paycheck then you'd get at most nonprofits. The company culture is one of community and you will likely meet people you want to know for the rest of your life here. The actual work of coaching students is extremely rewarding but it can be emotionally exhausting after awhile. Overall, it was exciting to be part of a company that is having such a large impact in the world!

ConsLack of opportunity for growth. Little-to-no career guidance and even if you get under a manager who really believes in you, the opportunities to move up or do different things in the organization are few and far between OR have to be tacked on to your coaching role which is nearly impossible to maintain given the high volume of work you are doing as a Coach.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer your coaches more opportunity to try different roles and job functions. Make ITk a place where one can really grow their career and make it whatever they want it to be.

Unbelievable training, great mission, low pay, office politics, unexamined assumptions, and misguided metrics.

Success Coach (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsI cannot say enough about how much I have gained in communication from my time at InsideTrack. This will pay dividends my entire life.

Interesting and engaging coworkers.

Opportunity to make a difference in the lives of college students.

ConsFew opportunities for promotion, and the model for it is misguided. People are promoted to management internally, and based on their success in an entirely different role. Being a good coach with good metrics is not indicative of success in management or client relationships. In fact, very few managers are very good at managing.

Ever increasing goals for the number of meetings per day and the amount of time spent on the phone leaves employees burned out and emotionally drained. If you push hard and succeed at a goal, it is simply raised the next period, meaning you are guaranteed to experience a fair deal of discouragement.

The organization is very secretive. Nobody talks about salaries, who is applying for job promotions, personal ambitions, etc. It is built on cultural views of "appropriateness", but many managers use this gauge to determine the worthiness of a coach, even if other measures would be more appropriate.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for leaders, not performers, in promotion. When they go together, fantastic, but the metric should match the need. If you need a good leader, choose among those who are good at leading others first.

My dream job

Success Coach (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsWorking with students, the ability to impact the lives of students, flexible work schedule

ConsHeavy phone work can be tough to get used to if you aren't bought in to what coaching is

Advice to Senior ManagementPay close attention to the quality of new hires to ensure that the company culture and vision continues to thrive.

Mission-driven company changing the landscape of higher education using data, tech, and coaching.

Campus Director (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe people and the mission. The company culture is fun-loving and supportive. We're constantly improving and gaining more respect and confidence in our place in higher-education.

ConsGrowing pains surrounding data processes. Difficult to explain what it is we do here. Recruiting hires people who want to "coach" - we should hire more for a data analyst and tech-savvy skill set, those fearless towards metrics and extensive phone/computer time, and those who then use coaching to achieve results. Compensation should be aligned with performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on retaining top talent and compensate those accordingly who deliver results; let go of poor performers with greater speed and confidence. Continue and improve your transparency.

Worked for InsideTrack? Contribute to the Community!