Insignia Technology Services

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fred O'Brien

Interesting but Stressful

Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsService oriented, focused on meeting the needs of the customer and taking care of its' people for the most part

ConsNot knowing if you will have a job after your current contract ends. Silo'd into one program when expertise can be shared to support other programs and improve the company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a different resource utilization plan. Use your people to support programs more evenly, support continued development, and try to balance the work-life style better. Working people 60+ hours as exempt employees on a weekly basis is not healthy for the person, and will impact the company in the long run when a good asset seeks other opportunities that offers a better balance.

Dictatorship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe "worker bees" get along great and work cohesively. They communicate well within the lower ranks.

ConsThat's just it. Employees are treated like worthless little worker bees. Mgt claims to empower employees, then overrides (previously agreed upon) decisions. Mgt also thinks it's OK to spew venom and hate toward them when upset. There's nothing constructive about it either. If you're not one of the favorites (i.e, a friend or family member), you'd better look out!!! There is ZERO respect for employees. People get fired on a whim, so document, document, document! Follow every conversation up with an email - you may need to prove you're position.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's never OK to berate your employees and blame them for your own misgivings and bad decisions. Recognize the great talent you have at your disposal. Enable them. They require motivation by praise, not by fear. You have the ability to make or break that company.

Good people, but kind of a mess

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInsignia has some fantastic people working for them. They have been able to attract and retain some capable key personnel, and have been able to survive in a competitive environment for the last seven years, which is fairly impressive. Compensation and benefits are not bad. Insignia also supports and encourages professional development, including an annual training/development benefit. Company barbecues and parties are held regularly.

ConsInsignia has very little in the way of process, corporate structure, or strategic vision. Middle managers come and go very often, and bring their own ways of doing things with them. Short-term gains are made at the expense of long-term gains, and as a result the company seems to be in a state of arrested development, repeating the same mistakes and not growing or learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the end of the day, it's your company. You have no one to thank or to blame but yourselves.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could never deliver on promises.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Fun Projects
    - DoD Clients were awesome
    - Very flat organization where everyone worked very well together
    - Very skilled at getting new contracts and recruiting talent
    - Projects can be inspiring with a sense of mission

Cons- Abusive Management
    - Major management decisions are made on whims, and then when you put in PTO requests it's seen as a betrayal.
    - Overly rigid and dogmatic on all the inconsequential stuff. Ethically trip over themselves on the big stuff.
    - Pie Crust promises all around: easily made, easily broken

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're more transparent than you think you are. Most see you for what you are.

Awesome Place to work.

Educational Technologist/Tester (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsFast pace and never boring.

ConsIf you lack flexibility this is not the place for you.

Great Company, empowers employees

ProsFreedom to execute, tasks. Holds people accountable.

ConsChallenging clients, can be demanding at times

Someone is making a lot of money but certainly it is not the employees

Worked A Number of Positions In Company (Current Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsOpportunities to grow and do fantastic things are everywere. It is a small company and if you want to broaden your technical skills,.. this place will always have a couple of opportunities to do so.

ConsOpportunities to grow and do fantastic things are everywere,..... just don't expect to be rewarded for accomplishing great things.

Advice to Senior Management"Blue horseshoe loves Anacott Steel" Not everyone wants to work for Gordon Gecko. Anemic company cultures do not draw or retain smart, skilled and motivated staff.

Insignia? Definitely Not.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Monterey, CA

ProsThe company has a knack for finding and getting great contract opportunities within the DoD. As a result, there are technology opportunities available that you may not see in the commercial world. They also have a knack for finding great people who are very knowledgeable and easy to get along with.

Upper management is a very talented group of individuals when it comes to being the salesmen. They can make you want to work there or do something and are very enthusiastic talkers.

Benefits are not too bad, maybe average at best.

ConsWhile the company has a knack for finding great people, they also have a knack for either losing them due to low morale or finding reasons to get rid of them (even if the reasons are completely misguided or flat out wrong).

Upper management can talk the talk and lure you in with a mind-blowing sales pitch, but rarely ever follow up on their promises. This leaves you feeling like you were misled and is not a great feeling at all.

There is also a complete lack of diversity in the company and a blatant display of favoritism. This favoritism comes to light when you follow how these employees are connected with the owners (relatives, spouses, friends of the family, old work buddies). As a result, it is very difficult to provide constructive criticism to your PM regarding upper management and even less probable to actually have the criticism received and improved upon.

If you are in a position of "authority" on any contract, upper management has a tendency to trump the majority of the decisions and not follow protocols defined by the company. It is true you are held accountable by the company, but most of the time it is for the decisions made by upper management themselves and not you.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that while you are the owners of the company, the people are the resources and people are not objects. I would recommend some training in Organizational Behavior to help you understand how people function in a professional environment. Maybe this will help you understand the impact of your decisions on them and how it affects their lives.

A Business decision should not be all dollars and cents and profit margins and dividends. A true leader will take a bird's-eye view of every situation and see how it affects ALL stakeholders, including your employees; not just your bottom line. A mass lay-off e-mail to all of us on Valentine's Day is cruel and impersonal. We deserve better than that.

Your style of communication needs to improve dramatically. Try taking those talking skills you use to get people to work for you and apply that level of enthusiasm and respect in every day communications with your employees. Your existing style comes across as very dictative, condescending, and belittling to your employees. We are better than that.

YOU are better than that.

Great Company - but not for everyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Monterey, CA

ProsFast growing company. Fun environment. Ability to utilize cutting edge technologies on a day to day basis. Ability to work on a multitude of different projects, not just one. Able to work with a team of professionals which are some of the best technical folks I have worked with in my career. Company does a great job with hiring talent.

Benefits are decent. PTO is good and most jobs are with the Government which allows for a generous holiday schedule.

Bottom line: I would still be with Insignia if I hadn't found another great opportunity that I couldn't pass up.

ConsDynamic nature of the business may be a turn off to some employees. For example, if you are not able to work on multiple projects at once and/or prefer to be pigeonholed into one task employees may not like working for Insignia.

In addition the Company seems to hold people accountable for their work. I like this, however many employees that have not produced up to high standards are terminated, which I have seen multiple times over my tenure at Insignia. This is why I say that Insignia is not for everyone. If you are a hard worker and like to be held accountable, great. If not, definitely look elsewhere or else you are at risk of being out of a job soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working to grow the Company. Continue to reinvest in the Company and it's employees - they are your greatest assets.

Mismanaged projects are the bread and butter of ITS

Software Developer (Former Employee) Monterey, CA

Pros-The local team I worked with, for the most part, was a group of great and knowledgeable individuals.
    -Great location.
    -Since they're a government contractor you get a lot of mandatory holidays, but only 10 days of PTO annually.
    -Fast growing company.
    -Polite employees.
    -Use CruiseControl
    -RDP VM Desktop for you to use from anywhere, but has outdated tools unfortunately.

Cons-Lost contract and didn't inform employees immediately, they even went past the date they said they would let us know.
    -They just want to push out a product, even if its completely unprofessional. The original release date was missed by over a year and a half. Project keeps being scheduled to go live and never does. You get to work on the weekend to get it ready for Monday's "go live", then a huge problem is discovered on go live day and it is never released.
    -Complete project mismanagement by upper level management.
    -Couldn't get my pay check right the entire time I worked there.
    -The project has no tiers and no shared code between modules. Copy / paste inheritance.
    -Stored procedures thousands of lines longs.
    -No documentation.
    -Requirements gathering and tracking is secondary in project development leading to missing and broken features.
    -Ugly code, ugly database. (2 DateTime columns, one for the date and one for the time)
    -Morale was extremely low.
    -1 QAer with the improper tools to complete the job even after asking for the proper tools for months.
    -Extremely high turn over rate for programmers, QA, and PMs. 3 PMs in 8 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementJoel Test: 2/12. They use source control (not for the entire project though) and within the last few months started using CruiseControl for continuous builds.

Worked for Insignia Technology Services? Contribute to the Community!