Insituform Technologies

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John J. (Joe) Burgess

Good company to work for at the time

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Insituform Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsVery diverse workforce. Very knowledgeable workforce of dedicated men & women. Couldn't say enough nice things about them. Excellent stock options

ConsCompany is publicly traded and thus gets a new CEO every 2 or 3 years or so, which thwarts any efforts of continuity

work load

Wet Out Tech (Current Employee)
Olyphant, PA

I have been working at Insituform Technologies full-time for less than a year

Prossmall crew size means lots of overtime

Consno time for a family and party plans

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for performance drives people to succeed.

Manager lost in another world

Lineleader (Current Employee)
Olyphant, PA

I have been working at Insituform Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsOvertime and pay is ok, lied to when hired about increases

ConsTerrible manager,yells 5 out of 7 days at nothing. Never have proper supplys to do jobs,working drader guns, out of ice all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementFire current manager, not hands on guy at all. Since ive been there 9 people quit in 8 months, hr dont care at all, joke also.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible working environment

I worked at Insituform Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhat pros? This company is horrible to work for.

ConsWhere to begin? Poor pay, expect a raise of less then $.50 every 2 to 3 years. Absolutely no leadership. Corporate mindset, no care for the working class.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell this company to a local business.

Good experience. Great place to grow.

I have been working at Insituform Technologies

ProsGood pay, good equipment. Safety is key.

ConsNo learning curve. Too many chiefs.

Insituform takes over your life

Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Insituform Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou have a chance to work with some of the most talented people. You learn allot about how infrastructure works. The pay is average for where you live. You get above average healthcare insurance.

ConsOnce you are hired, all of the promises you received at your interview are thrown out the window. You now work 7 days a week with a day off a month. So say goodbye to your family and friends. The equipment is falling apart and held together with tape. The trucks are broke down half the time. You never get an honest "good Job" from management. You will change shifts every 60 days.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a set schedule for your employees to live by. Listen to your lower level employees, before someone gets hurt. Make sure you give proper raises to all staff, not just upper management. And Hire a Secretary for Olyphant!

Great potential, poor execution.

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Insituform Technologies

ProsLots of opportunities for advancement
Fair compensation.

ConsAdvancement opportunities exist because of poor upper management and a serious lack of value placed on company infrastructure.
Poor communication from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your company.
If you are going to keep your core business (NAR), then increase your focus on infrastructure: Hire good people and provide them with the support (equipment and training) they need.

At one time was great, but became a dreary, unfair experience for many people.

I worked at Insituform Technologies

ProsLeadership position from a size standpoint in the industry. Many solutions they can deliver to customers who definitely do need the solutions - trenchless. Neat people across the country in a variety of positions if you have the opportunity to interact with them.

ConsSenior management is inept. The current and immediately prior CEO are/were focused only on their perception by Wall Street, not their employees and more importantly not their customer base. Do not have a realistic view of how to lead an organization and a business. They are/were paupers looking for approval from their board and Wall Street.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR LOWEST LEVEL EMPLOYEES ON UP! They will talk to you and provide feedback that will help you if they do not think they'll get fired for being honest.

Head Games

I worked at Insituform Technologies

ProsGood location...clean offices (at least the ones that have been renovated). Big player in their industry, should be one with upside.

ConsVery political. Inept HR team. Poor executive leadership. Favoritism, back room deals run rampant in promotion discussions. Even those with years of strong service tossed aside for political gain.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn more about your own team by talking to those a few levels down. Show appreciation for those that do the actual work.

A good place to be...

IT Staff (Current Employee)
Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Insituform Technologies

ProsIf you have the right boss, you have tremendous support and opportunities for learning. The people that you work with can be absolutely wonderful and that makes all the difference between wanting to go to work and needing to go to work.

ConsLack of communication between departments and from upper management to the rest of the employees. It's not as bad as I've seen it but it's not good by any stretch either. The fact that they are a publicly traded company is a downside from this point of view because it puts management in a position where they need to hold their cards close to the vest instead of communicating honestly with staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more open with employees, be more accessible. And communicate the bad news as well as the good news.

Worked for Insituform Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Insituform Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Insituform Technologies CEO John J. (Joe) Burgess. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Insituform Technologies employees.