InstaEDU

Updated January 4, 2015
3.2

Alison Johnston Rue

Tutor

I have been working at InstaEDU as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, flexibile times, laid back.

Cons

Little interaction with higher ups, many frustrating students, too many hiring of tutors.

Good source of pocket money

I have been working at InstaEDU part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible - you decide what to do and when to do and whether or not to do it.
    Pay rate is high ($20 an hour)

Cons

Many students just want answers which is against the honor policy, and if more time is taken they might give negative review.
    They're removed the instant support function.

There are some tutors who have more than 10 subjects selected. Is that realistic? Can anyone have a proper expertise on 10 or more subjects and even provide explanations? Management needs to be more realistic in selecting tutors - rather than just a college email.

Horrible

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at InstaEDU

Pros

Flexible hours and good pay. They way they treat their employee sucks.

Cons

Don't treat their employees right. Would never recommend anyone to work for them.

Hire better support team.

Flexible, but they don't take off the bad reviews

I have been working at InstaEDU part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Good pay
    - Flexible
    - It's online so you don't have to drive somewhere

Cons

- Even if you do a great job tutoring, some students will give you a thumbs down!

Change the thumbs down policy.

Good job to have on the side for extra cash

I have been working at InstaEDU part-time

Pros

- Extremely flexible hours
    - Solid pay
    - Nice compensation bonuses for recruiting
    - Support team is very helpful and does a nice job of keeping you in the loop of what's going with the company

Cons

- No real cons other than it can be slow at times in terms of getting students

Horrible!

Former Employee - Tutor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Boston, MA

I worked at InstaEDU as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The Pro I will say that there are nice students there that really needs help and support to understand basic problems. Flexible schedule and solid payment.

Cons

The company didn't know how to treat well its employee. Instaedu needs to know that employees are the most important asset at any company. After I got 304 positive feedback and 3 negative, One of my students complained about my work, after I spent two days working on her assignment; she complained that I did plagiarized on her paper. Without even investigate, Instaedu shut down my account and kicked me out. I called the office and told customer support that the student already knew that one of the graphs that I used was from a specific website and I also cited the sources next to it; they told me that they will take care of this issue. Then the student called againg complaining and I was block from the company.

It really amazing how they have their dishonor policy, because otherwise many tutors will sue the company because due to negligence causes and their lack of management and professionalism.

Hire people as your support staff with background in education and people who are able to investigate well any issue that might arise before shut down your employees. Also, Upper Management should know due to problems as the one I just mentioned on my review more and more highly qualified tutors are using others tutoring platform rather than InstaEdu.

Great Experience

Current Employee - InstaEDU - Tutor in West Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - InstaEDU - Tutor in West Lafayette, IN

I have been working at InstaEDU part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can work from home, and there is not much commitment towards to job. You can work whenever you want, and make some extra bucks. Also, its part time, so its not necessary to spend a set amount to time on it per week. You can work however long you want.

Cons

Many times when you want to work, there are not enough students that want help. Just because you are free and want to work at InstaEDU now, does not mean that some student needs help at that moment. Also, there are some problems with the web site sometimes, and you can the student are not able to communicate properly. In that case, I just use another online chat, like Skype and/or Hangouts.

Convenient with Effort Required

Current Employee - Online Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Online Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at InstaEDU part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Set your own hours and work from home for decent hourly pay. Perfect opportunity for graduate students or those looking for a supplemental income.

Cons

Not always a reliable source of income. I get a lot of messages persistantly asking if I can help the student for free. If you want a steady flow of income on this site, you might have to do some of your own marketing/recruiting.

Tutor

I have been working at InstaEDU part-time

Pros

Ability to make money from home and teach others material you are passionate about. #1 online tutoring website if you are a hard-worker.

Cons

Support team can be unprofessional at times and are inexperienced at tutoring, so you cannot always argue down-votes successfully to some extent.

Tutoring platform should be updated so it doesn't load slowly. InstaEDU Reps should be replaced with individuals with professional tutoring experience to know when a down-vote was given unfairly.

Best company in 2014 to work with.

Current Employee - Online Tutor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Online Tutor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at InstaEDU as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Set you own hours, flexibility to choose subjects, student can view the tutor profile and review and choose their tutor accordingly, market yourself, active support staff, nice pay, student can directly contact tutor, easy payment options for global tutor.

Cons

Not much work, de activate tutor without providing prominent reasosn.

slight change in hiring de activation policy of tutor so that the tutor feels compfortable and can think for long term career options in online tutoring.