InstaEDU Reviews

3.6

Alison Johnston Rue

Convenient, Flexible, and Decent Pay

I have been working at InstaEDU

Pros

You get to choose when and where to work form. You also get to filter what kind of tutoring you would like to do. The pay is higher then several competing companies(such as tutor.com and wyzant), and you get to work from the convenience of your dorm room if you would like(no travel necessary). Furthermore, the support staff is really prompt and extremely helpful.

Cons

Sometimes, you get students who are just fishing for answers, and that can be frustrating to deal with when you have started the lesson. Also, sometimes they are people who treat the website like a Q and A service for various topics not really related to tutoring.

They just use tutors to fish for customers

I have been working at InstaEDU as a contractor

Pros

If you ever actually get any customers, the pay is good and their standards are lax, which is less annoying than some places.

Cons

I have been on here a few months and I've only gotten a few notifications for sessions, even group notifications. The one student I worked with was very demanding and creepy, unlike the students at my other online tutoring job who are nice and respectful. For weeks before I ever got a single notification, I would just get these emails trying to get me to recruit students. Now I just got a message about how they will pay $50 for each student you get to sign up - the catch - if they ever do a lesson with you, you won't get paid the $50! How are you supposed to convince students to sign up yet not work with you?? That is a pretty clever loophole right there. Of course they don't say that till the very end of the email - I'm sure they hope no one will read that far. I really feel like they just try to get tutors from good schools to sign up in order to feed on their connections.

Stop fishing, stop deleting this post.

Awesome set up

I worked at InstaEDU

Pros

If you want to do online tutoring, this is the place to be. Make your own hours, get compensated very fairly and I have never ever seen a portal come close to theirs. I have since gone into relationship management and have placed DevOps engineers at InstaEDU, so I know they are still improving.

Cons

Not any real cons, maybe they could put more specific details in the subject matter the students could choose so the invites were more specific to the tutor but it was not a big deal.

Great job

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty Good

I have been working at InstaEDU

Pros

-Decent Pay
    -Work From Home
    -Honestly pretty easy

Cons

-Students often just want the answers rather than actual help

They don't care about the tutors

I have been working at InstaEDU

Pros

The hours are flexible, you can decide your own hours.

Cons

While working on the site there were many "students" who were not actually students and would say inappropriate things. Furthermore, many students just wanted to answers to their homework and would give you a "thumbs down" if you refused to do anything but provide those answers. Finally, there were some mess-ups on part of InstaEDU that resulted in some of my tutoring time not being recorded correctly. They refused to correct the issue and I was not paid for my time.

Very good

I have been working at InstaEDU

Pros

Get to interact with many students on your own schedule and make 20 dollars an hour

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to be able to get the hours you want, and sometimes students do not try very hard.

Very Convenient

Current Employee - Online Tutor  in  Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Online Tutor in Remote, OR

I have been working at InstaEDU as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. Easy to use virtual teaching system, including chat, "white board", video, and voice. A facebook page where tutors can post about issues or refer students. 20 dollar an hour pay, which is the highest I have found among online tutor websites.

Cons

Creating a following of consistent tutors is difficult at first. Some students just want you to do their homework for you.

Find a way to funnel new students to tutors that need them.

Convenient Tutoring Opportunity

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at InstaEDU part-time for less than a year

Pros

Create your own hours, work from your desk, use your own relationships to extend your tutoring network. This is a great opportunity for students looking for work who have constraints on time because you can work essentially whenever you have a free hour.

Cons

Sometimes the lesson descriptions are not specific, so as a tutor you might find yourself unprepared because you didn't know what the student needed help with.

Provide tutors with more details about potential lessons in order to find the best qualified tutors

Flexible and Good Pay

Current Employee - Computer Science Tutor
    Current Employee - Computer Science Tutor

I have been working at InstaEDU part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay for an undergrad, extremely flexible hours, and the staff is very responsive and attentive. There are also really nice compensation bonuses for recruitment, and I've really enjoyed my time as a tutor.

Cons

Not too much to say here - most of my cons would be about a lack of features on the site, but most of these have been already addressed by new updates.

I would like to see a more expansive and integrated tutoring suite, to make it easier for tutors to truly connect with students. The platform is amazing already, but I'd like to see it continue to expand and grow.

Great product, great team, exciting environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at InstaEDU full-time for less than a year

Pros

I left a large tech company to join InstaEDU because I really believe in the product and the mission of the company. We help connect students with tutors and provide affordable one-on-one help to high school and college students. The management structure is flat, communication and decision making is transparent. The company leadership is a group of really talented and incredibly smart Stanford grads. I am really excited to be part of the team here and work in such a tight-knit and collaborative environment.

Cons

As a start-up we have limited people-power and resources. This means that I have to constantly stretch myself to learn more skills and work slightly outside of my comfort zone. Overall, not really a con -- I am learning a lot, but it's definitely a challenging environment where everyone is constantly pushing themselves and growing.

More SWAG!

Worked for InstaEDU? Contribute to the Community!