InstaEDU Reviews

1. Great....if you can actually get students

Current Employee - Online Tutor in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Online Tutor in Edison, NJ

I have been working at InstaEDU

Pros

-pay
    -working from home
    -sharing your expertise

Cons

-difficult to get assignments
    -income not stable;varies based on how many students you tutor

2. Great company before the Chegg buy-out

Current Contractor - Online Tutor
    Current Contractor - Online Tutor

I have been working at InstaEDU as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The usual contractor pros: flexibility, etc.
    Automated pay schedule and direct deposit
    Decent pay

Cons

Awful customer/tutor support
    Treats tutors like contractors instead of tutors

Ever since the buy-out by Chegg, the feeling seems to be less about quality of lessons and more about quantity. InstaEDU was a company that stood behind it's tutors; if there was an abusive student or a student that blatantly asked for you to break the rules, support would look at both sides and void unfair reviews. Now support does nothing for the tutors, ignores their input, and treats them with general suspicion.

InstaEDU was a great company to tutor for. Chegg Tutors by InstaEDU? Not so much.

Advice to Management

Step up the availability of support to tutors. Treat your tutors like actual people, not just expendable contractors.

3. Good pay when you can find students

Current Contractor - Online Tutor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Contractor - Online Tutor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at InstaEDU as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The website is user-friendly and professional. The company is excellent when it comes to payments (always on time). Love the fact that it as a tutor you can pick your own hours (very flexible). Enrollment is easy!

Cons

Saturated. Unfortunately, it feels like there are more tutors than there are students. Compared to its competitors (I personally liked the startup: leagueoftutors.com… they may have something great coming), InstaEDU does not require subject tests to filter qualified tutors from the rest. As a tutor, you must accept a request in less than 1 second if you want to have a chance to read it… again, because of the amount of tutors available.

5. More Tutors than students

I have been working at InstaEDU

Pros

Flexible schedule and you can make decent side income.

Cons

More tutors than students. Tutors from India will be ready to get your student all day/night long and you won't get any.

Advice to Management

Change your policy.

Has Changed SInce Chegg Took Over, and Not for the Better.

Current Contractor - Online Tutor in Long Beach, CA
    Current Contractor - Online Tutor in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at InstaEDU as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good. If you can get a consistent customer base, you'll make some nice supplemental income.

Convenient work from home opportunity on your own schedule.

Weekly pay via direct deposit to your bank account or PayPal.

Unlike Tutor.com, you don't have to help a student if you don't want to. You choose who you tutor. You can even block and report rude and/or unethical students, and the block works. You also don't have to be patronizing. You choose your tutoring style.

Cons

There are a lot of cons since Chegg took over.
    1. Access to support has been restricted. Tutors can now only IM support when they are in the classroom with a student. No other time. To reach them, you must email them, but sometimes the response is a canned and snarky "don't email us unless it's an emergency!" Students and parents can IM us at any time, and most have questions. It was easier to answer those questions when we could IM Damon, Juan, Sophie, or Claire.

2. Unwarranted negative feedback is no longer removed. Here is an example of unwarranted negative feedback: A student gives you a negative review and says you're unhelpful because you refused to take his user name and password to log onto his third party homework site. This is because the student didn't feel like typing the questions or reading them out loud. It is against the rules to accept any kind of personal information from the student. This is for obvious privacy reasons. When you inform the student of that, the student blows it off because "well other tutors do it" (and sadly, they do.) You still refuse, citing company policy, and, in a huff, the student quits the lesson before you can void it. Pre-Chegg, support would have definitely removed that negative feedback. Not anymore.

3. Because of point #2, the tutor's attitude is forced into defensive mode to keep the thumbs down at bay. I'm refusing to help a lot more students now. I have deactivated on demand lessons and written lessons. The only students I tutor now are older college students and high school students who's parents "interviewed" me in advance, and the moment I suspect those lessons are going south, I void and block the student. My primary focus is to no longer help students, it's to avoid a thumbs down rating. Your account WILL be deactivated if they think you've gotten too many of them, regardless how many good reviews you have.

4. Smartphone app is unreliable.

5. Technical problems are not fixed in a timely manner. For about 5 months, the voice chat feature didn't work. There was the free conference call alternative, but a lot of students wanted to use their headsets.

Advice to Management

Stand behind the tutors when we enforce the privacy and academic honesty policies.

CHEATING is encouraged here, regardless of policy.

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at InstaEDU

Pros

Good pay and flexible work hours.

This job definitely compensates better than most, but the generous pay comes at a price.

Cons

Support is completely incompetent. If a student underhandedly wants a tutor to cheat and then gives a bad review when the tutor provides ideas and guidance only, support will NOT listen or counsel with the tutor. I basically asked what I could do better in the future to prevent this from happening and was essentially shut down and given no explanation for their refusal to remove the negative rating/feedback. I absolutely loved this company and was so conscientious, but they deactivated my account and ignored my expressed desire to work out the issue or gather advice before I resigned.

Advice to Management

Respect the hardworking tutors who are doing everything possible to abide by the Honor Code.

Stop enabling cheaters!

Tutor

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at InstaEDU as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, flexibile times, laid back.

Cons

Little interaction with higher ups, many frustrating students, too many hiring of tutors.

This company is a total scam for parents, students and even worse for tutors.

Current Employee - Tutor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at InstaEDU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It really connect you with a lot of students out there.

Cons

Here I could say thousands of things, but I will be briefly on these few:
    1- first of all, if you are a parent, don't let your kids use this company, because they don't really care about if your children learn or not, they only care to charge you the highest amount they can on your credit card. Also, one thing you will realize is the fact that students can sign in into the website just putting their email, therefore, they are mislead to InstaEdu concept and most of them believe that this service is free, once they are inside, they been told to sign up. Well, guess what, even your kids might be trying to just get the homework done by someone abroad or here in the U.S and not learning anything at all, which is a waste of money for you.

2- If you are a tutor, come on, give yourself a break and go for others companies such as Eduboard, InstaEdu treat the tutors like a piece of you know what guys. These people didn't care at all that you came from Harvard, Yale or Oxford, as soon they see that you have 4 negative feedback they will try their way to kick you out of the game, it doesn't matter if you have 1000 positive feedback they don't really care. Even worse, this company is so " abusive and unethical" that if 2 students say something negative about you, they don't even call you as an employee and discuss the matter, they just threat you saying that they will fire you. Come on!! don't they see the key point here? all these tutors comes from good schools, many of them from Ivy League school and they threat them like they are talking with unskilled workers in some random place on earth. The only reason why this company are not getting sue every single month is just because they really shield themselves on any liabilities with their employees. But trust me guys, it could be now or later, one these two things will happen to Instaedu in the near future. Someone will find out a solid case against this company and take them to court or company such as Eduboard will dominate their market share and put them out of business.

Advice to Management

Understand one thing! 1- employees are the most valuable asset that any company could have. 2- You are not the only tutoring services out there, 3- Eduboard is higher rank and more solid than you guys, just because your politics regarding employee and service charge to students simply doesn't work. 4- Do no think you guys are the best because pay $20 an hour/case. I been making $60 an hour in another company and I will make more when I get my Phd. So decide how you guys are doing your business, because it show a lack of vision for you as a CEO in the educational fields. Helping students to cheat never will be a good business.

Good source of pocket money

I have been working at InstaEDU part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible - you decide what to do and when to do and whether or not to do it.
    Pay rate is high ($20 an hour)

Cons

Many students just want answers which is against the honor policy, and if more time is taken they might give negative review.
    They're removed the instant support function.

Advice to Management

There are some tutors who have more than 10 subjects selected. Is that realistic? Can anyone have a proper expertise on 10 or more subjects and even provide explanations? Management needs to be more realistic in selecting tutors - rather than just a college email.

Flexible, but they don't take off the bad reviews

Current Employee - Online Tutor

I have been working at InstaEDU part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good pay
    - Flexible
    - It's online so you don't have to drive somewhere

Cons

- Even if you do a great job tutoring, some students will give you a thumbs down!

Advice to Management

Change the thumbs down policy.