Instaclick

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Jim Dalla-Vicenza

A Surprisingly Good First Time Job Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFor the six or so months leading up to being hired by Instaclick, I was on the ropes as far as job prospects looked. Considering that my experience was lacking – read none – leading up to my interview, I wasn't exactly optimistic about making the cut. Sure, I had some education on my side, but enjoying scholarships and grants without getting any part-time work or internships really put me behind the curve when it came time to find a job. Thankfully, Instaclick was willing to hear my personal sales pitch and valued creativity and drive in its prospective employees – a reoccurring theme during my entire time there.

After getting into a rhythm with the hustle and bustle that comes with a daily nine to five, I started growing immensely as a professional. Sure, there were a few speed bumps along the way, but the best thing about working at Instaclick, for me at least, was having management that I could go to when I felt stressed or unsure about the direction of my daily and long-term work. After looking at some of the horror stories on this site for other companies, it's unfortunate that this kind of open and honest discussion and guidance is the exception and not the rule in so many industries.

ConsAs far as the negatives go, two things stand out to me. First is the parking predicament that you've probably seen on some of the other reviews. However, it's kind of hard to deal with that type of issue considering the layout of the building and the surrounding areas, but what can you really do about that?

Aside from the sketchy parking situation, the workload can be a little daunting if you're not motivated. Again, this one's more of a personal issue, but for the lazy ones out there – myself included at times – you can't slip through the cracks like you could at other jobs. It might be a little odd to add this to the cons section since it's just management trying to keep up with the massive workload that comes in, but it's an honest concern for those of you who are looking for a free ride on the gravy train.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I could tell management anything, it's to never take the focus of off the workers. Although I've gone in a different direction with my career plans, I can only hope to find another company that helps make things as comfortable for first time employees as Instaclick. Oh and one more thing; they could use more cookies at the snack bar. Sure, apples and oranges are better for your health, but there are just some days when you need a good cookie to make it closing time.

I Enjoyed My Time Working There!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI always do a little research for applying for a new job and though Instaclick got a few bad raps by ex-employers, I still gave the company a shot, as I'm a little optimistic; plus I also need the extra money. Unlike other jobs in the past, I never felt any kind of stress while working here, but I worked there for just over two years and never once did I felt any stress. Typically when I started other jobs, I would have a supervisor or two breathing down my neck every five minutes, but Instaclick gave me some independence. Once the basic training was finished everything was smooth sailing. The workload never felt demanding, as the most projects I was assigned was three to four.

My reasons for taking the job was mostly just to get a paycheck and a new entry in my job resume, but I wasn't expecting to leave the company making a few new friends with the the employees and even a few supervisors. I also learned many new skills while working there. The supervisors were very understanding and helped me when I either had a question or a problem about whatever projects I was working on that day. I never once felt under-appreciated and I always felt like part of the team.

ConsI wish there were slightly longer lunch breaks. Sure there was plenty of time to eat my lunch, but sometimes I was still hunger and didn't have enough time to eat dessert. There needs to be more water cooler and coffee machine breaks, as I loved talking with my co-workers and listening to what projects they were working on. The office chairs aren't the best; they're just your typical office chairs, but I need something with a little bit more back support.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice I have for the upper management men and women is that they should continue their great work. With my previous job, I never met the senior managements, but I met these guys all the time. They would come down from their offices and socialize with the all the workers, as they all wanted our feedback on your jobs. They're great to work with.

A Great Learning Experience in a Tough Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAfter I graduated from school, I interned in a couple of design firms and had one entry level position before I landed my gig at Instaclick. What a difference. I finally found myself in a creative environment where my skills were put to good use, and I was constantly being challenged to do better than I thought possible. It’s true what they say – you really don’t begin to grow until you’re out here in the workforce. This is where you get the real training. Here at Instaclick, I’ve been encouraged to learn from my mistakes instead of just feel like I’ve screwed up and I might get fired. I’m pretty sure that wherever I go from here, I’ll have much more to offer than when I first started out. The office culture is pretty laid back, the people are supportive, and the management (after a much needed shake-up) has settled into a good groove. I think anyone who is interested in getting a leg up in the industry and is ready to dig into some hard work (they will work you, make no mistake), will find Instaclick a good place to make a living and get a real feel for this very competitive industry. I say thumbs up!

ConsThere were some people in upper management that were taking away from the positive experience. Let's just say that. I'm not into flaming, but a couple of these guys really sucked. If I wasn't such a fan of the place, I'd go on about that, but why bother... they're gone. Sometimes things can get a bit tense around deadline time, but that's probably in any business. We leave it at the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more hot breakfasts. Seriously. Breakfast rocks... how about lunch? And definitely think about spicing up that ridiculous lobby. I'm sorry, but c'mon. It's a design firm, right? Gotta have the atmosphere all around...

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An Amazing Work Environment and an Amazing Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen I started working at Instaclick, I was worried that I was in for yet another boring, humdrum job filled with snobby and unsocial coworkers. Needless to say, my previous employers weren’t great – but all of that changed when I began work for Instaclick. First of all, my coworkers were amazingly social and fun to be around. Nothing fosters a better work environment than enthusiastic peers, and Instaclick has that in abundance. I made quite a few friends that I’m sure will last a lifetime, which is definitely something that my previous work experiences lacked.

Not only were my fellow employees amazing, but the environment is great, too. The creative environment really inspired me to work, and it made me enjoy working to begin with. Going to work every day seemed like less and less of a chore.

Plus, the work itself was never boring or humdrum. I really got to push my creative limits and try new things, so everyday work turned into a major learning experience that will really help me out as I move on to other opportunities.

ConsThe only downsides are minor annoyances at best. There were a few less-than-stellar employees during my time at the company, but they’ve all left the company since. Besides that, the elevators are a little bit sketchy and definitely not my favorite way to get up to my work area, and the outside of the building is a little bland. The parking situation also wasn’t great during my time at the company, and it could be a hassle some days for sure.

The food available to employees was definitely awesome, but it could have used a little more variety. When you eat it every day it can get boring quick, but when faced with how good everything else is, that’s not a huge problem.

The workload was usually just right, but there were times when it was a little intense. Still, it was always a good challenge and never TOO stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing major needs to be changed, but a few tweaks here and there would make the company even more amazing. Fix the parking issues, spruce up the outside of the building a bit, and offer some more variety for the company breakfasts and pantry. The elevator could also use a little bit of work, but that’s about it. If all that gets taken care of, then anybody would be honored to work at a company like Instaclick.

A Truly Great Place to Work Creatively

ProsPros to Working in Such a Creative Environment
    • Flexible
    • Professional
    • Skilled
    As I departed, I was reminded that we all tried to reach for the goal of excellence in what we did, not as co-workers but as a family. All of us thrived on the expertise of each other and could proudly be called the back bone of the company which is comprised of experts such people as Rick our website designer and Jim our company president just to name a few.
    Professionalism is something that Jim has taught us to always strive for. He is not like your typical president. Rather he loves to have fun while wanting his company to succeed. While we are professional, it is often creativity that is encouraged most.
    Rick our website designer, what can I say about him? Without him around I think we would have been lost in the whole process. His skill is so valuable to the company I seriously think he’s found his niche and the company found a talented and well rounded designer

ConsCons of Working in this Environment
    • Slow Elevator
    • Tight/cramped spaces
    • Boring/plain Décor
    We excel quickly as a team, but individually and personally there are things that need to be addressed within the company. As a person with a disability I find that the company is very close to not being so accessible for those with disabilities. My first not so much complaint but more dissatisfaction of the company are things such as a slow elevator. I feel that I wait a very long time for the elevator to arrive and for it to deliver me the floor I need arrive at.
    I feel I need to address is the tight quarters. Being wheelchair bound it is impossible for me to maneuver through the office with desks almost clumped on top of each other. Things like this are cons in my book but it’s nothing that can’t be fixed, with a bit of bright coloring instead of a dark drab décor and spacing out the desks and cubicles to give us a little more elbow room so we don’t feel we’re on top of one another.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Management
    I honestly enjoyed working with the company. Despite the minor cons it is a wonderful place to work. I do have a few suggestions, such as longer lunch breaks, update the snacks once in awhile, I mean, who is going to want three year old cookies that have been in the machine or a two year old bag of chips, better smoking facilities and of course a more accessible restroom for the disabled. You know maybe putting in a few more wheelchair stalls, because it seems everyone likes the roominess of the stalls made for the disabled

One of my fave jobs of the last few years...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI've worked in a lot of places since college, but Instaclick was definitely one of my faves. Work is work, but when you have a good team, it makes it so much more fun. The president of the company, Jim, is like this Renaissance dude. He's all over the place, but he really knows his stuff! He made sure that we were all really well trained. The management is solid, the coders are awesome, and of course, there are the breakfasts. What can I say about that... I like a good meal in the morning - it's totally the way to my heart!

I really learned a lot during my time at Instaclick about web design and SEO - stuff I've been able to use in my current position. I highly recommend working there if you want to get immersed in the field and learn from some folks who really know what's up. I was sorry I had to leave (relocated to another city).

ConsThere was one guy there in systems who was pretty bad, I won't mention any names... but he's gone now. (Lucky for everyone). Another project manager was also pretty lame, and I'm glad they also gave him the boot. The building itself is OK - clean, but the design in the lobby, for example, is meh... The elevators are pretty slow. That got to be frustrating. Fortunately, most people were pretty cool about it, but every once in a while...

Advice to Senior ManagementNever, I repeat, NEVER get rid of Jessica and Reesa. Those two seriously put the heart into that place. Also, you wanna make sure to let new folks know about the resident dogs. Not that you can really miss them... but just in case people are allergic, or dog-phobic (which would be a shame). And you might want to consider a few more snacks or even lunches... you really set the bar high with breakfast...

A Good Place to Start Off Your Career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen Instaclick hired me they were definitely taking a chance as I was freshly out of school and didn’t have too much work experience at the time. I’m glad they did take that chance though because I was able to grow a lot in the 3 years that I worked there.
    I started out working at a basic entry level position, but despite the repetitive nature of that job – I did enjoy coming into work each day. The people that worked there at the time were very welcoming and friendly. They made you feel like a part of the team immediately.
    Management keeps close tabs on their workers, but they do allow for a loose environment at times. Some of my best working memories so far have come out of my time at Instaclick and those memories come mostly from bonding with my fellow co-workers. Of course some of them moved on and we were sad to see them go, but this is the nature of the workplace.
    There were times when we were asked to work overtime or pushed to work extra hard, like most businesses. However, when we met a goal or finished a task management made it a point to come around and show their appreciation. Despite our individual position within the company, we all felt like we were on the same level and I think that the tone and culture set by the managers had a lot to do with that.

ConsOne of the big problems I did have with the company is the facilities. Some of the walls could have definitely used a fresh coat of paint and the furniture has probably been around since the late 90s. I did bring this up in my exit interview, and hopefully they will be making changes soon. I feel there was also a little too much work to be completed in a 40-hour work week. Although I did hear the company is looking to hire in the near future.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was a lot of overtime available, which is fine if you’re single. However, married people and those with small children may not be looking to work more than 40 hours per week. I would suggest picking up just one or two more full-time workers to reduce the amount of overtime. That way the overtime is there if you want it.

This company was a great launch pad for my career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros• I received clear direction from upper management most of the time.
    • The company is very metric-driven which is helpful to learn how data drives the next step. It was great to see clear, strategic thinking.
    • My co-workers were talented and intelligent, and I learned a lot from them.
    • I picked up some good habits and shortcuts from management and colleagues.
    • Overall, the other employees were really great to be around and I had fun, which is important when you’re in a deadline-driven company.
    • I saw opportunities to be promoted if you’re a hard worker, you care and you’re on board with the company plan. Yes, there could be some long hours when deliverables were due but this wasn’t out of line from what I would expect from a company with this focus.
    • The benefits were good and I took full advantage of the casual dress code.
    • Although the building wasn’t anything to look at, the office environment was good.
    • Overall, a great stepping stone for me. I learned a lot.
    • The monthly breakfasts were fabulous and really helped with team building and camaraderie.

Cons• So there were a few people who were political and took credit for my work, but I quickly learned how to work around them, and everyone was aware of their modus operandi so everyone worked to combat it. Once upper management was aware they took care of the problem and removed these people.
    • Because of the type of work, and because I care about the quality of my work, I had to be super careful about my work/life balance to ensure I didn’t get crazy and obsess on work, and I had to manage this.
    • The building wasn’t the coolest to work in, but I liked the neighborhood we were in.
    • I saw opportunities for improvement and had to be patient to help make change take place. Some of the changes required a lot of patience and attention to the details, which is good; however when you know the potential of something, you want it to happen immediately.

Advice to Senior Management• Keep doing the training for new people, it’s super helpful to get a solid understanding of the company
    • Keep building on the strengths of the great people you have in place and don’t be shy to get rid of the bad eggs even more quickly. The freeloaders can bring everyone down—when you get rid of them you show us your high standards and instill trust in your workers and leaders.
    • Keep the caring atmosphere and the breakfasts—they really rock when you’re working so hard!
    • Consider more processes to get feedback quicker and stay agile.

Great Entry-Level Job for new grads

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really liked coming into this company as a recent graduate. You feel fully submersed into the culture and work right off the bat. Not in an intimidating way though! I felt like Jim, the company president, gave me adequate personal on the job training. It was really surprising that the CEO would reach out and engage with the newbies of the company. Working in the design team with Rick was definitely great. I definitely learned how to manage deadlines and multiple projects from him. He was always patient when I made mistakes and willing to help guide me through the process. One big perk is the daily breakfast provided by the sweet Miss Jessica. It really is a friendly environment, and being a dog lover, I felt like a part of the family with the office dogs.

ConsWhile I really loved this as my first professional job in the field, like with everything, there are some things that are less than perfect. I definitely would have liked more healthier snacks in the breakroom. There were always scattered junk foods like cookies, but fruit would have been nice. The elevators were really slow, so on days that I was running a little bit late, my anxiety would be heightened even further due to this… We didn’t have that many office activities aside from breakfast, which is ok, but I would have loved to have had paid bonding activities. Also, bring your own decorations. The interior is a bit dull. I had to liven things up with colorful posters and bouncy balls.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise the company to hire more designers. The design team is a little overloaded with all the requests and they might be able to support more clients if they expanded their team. Also, it would really help if they could liven up the atmosphere a bit. The office environment and lobby is really drab. It doesn’t make for a fun and exciting place to work. Sometimes after getting off the slow elevator and being greeting by the bleak interior doesn’t make for a productive day. To top it off, at lunch time, we don’t have many options for snacks. I mentioned this in the cons, but really, some better eating options would probably help productivity. Overall, though, it’s a really great hospitable place to work.

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInstaclick is like no other company. The work environment is so energized that you can’t wait to get to work and create something that the client is simply going to love. You are never tied to your desk and are actually encouraged to get with your colleagues to collaborate as a team, even if they aren’t working on your project. Everybody has his or her own strengths, which makes working together a great experience. If you don’t know something there is someone in the office that can help you out. Patricia is especially great because she is always willing to stop and help out anyone no matter how busy she is and she seems to know just about everything.
    The management team is also a great group to work for. They are extremely supportive of the entire Instaclick family and want nothing more than to see each and every one of us succeed. Now that’s not to say that they won’t get on you if you start to slack, but when you work is such a great environment, their job of handing out reprimands is few and far between. Another great thing about the management team is that they always participate in the brainstorming sessions when a project is just beginning. They throw in their ideas and participate in a way that isn’t overbearing. They are all very knowledgeable and are always there to help lend a hand if you need it. I really wish I could continue working at Instaclick, but they don’t have an office where I’m relocating because of my husband’s job. I’m going to miss working for a company that truly has their employees’ best interest at heart.

ConsSomething that they need to work on is the lighting throughout the entire office. The florescent lighting is extremely harsh and really hampers the creative vibes. Even if they could use bulbs that had a lower wattage or even simply not put all four bulbs in the overhead fixtures that would be a great improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really can’t think of a better place to work. The atmosphere really lent itself to the creative talent that was at Instaclick, and I really liked everyone that I worked with. The management needs to continue supporting their employees, and continue to bring in the kind of talent that makes their team even stronger.

Worked for Instaclick? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Instaclick reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Instaclick CEO Jim Dalla-Vicenza. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Instaclick employees.