Institute for Integrative Nutrition

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Joshua Rosenthal

a total sham

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosfree food, metro pass, 10 min massages - all to lure you in a steal your soul

ConsThis place is such a joke. The egomaniac founder consistently lies employees and students. The lies are so extreme it's hard to fathom and it infects everyone. As a member of the admissions team, lying is your job.

IIN changes their business model every 2 months and everyone just bows in submission to the founder's terrible, impulsive ideas. When sh*t hits the fan, they just fire anyone they can. All they care about is their bottom line. Employees are completely expendable and you spend every day living in fear that you'll lose your job at the drop of a hat. No one ever knows what is going on or what situation you'll walk into each day.

It doesn't matter how hard you work, how smart you are, or how many additional responsibilities you take on - all you are is overhead. You feel sick and dirty from knowing that all you do is mislead people day in and day out. Everything this company is selling (to both employees and students) is completely, "diametrically opposed" to the reality.

If you are a student, all the company cares about is getting your money. After that, you are simply an inconvenience. There is no support or follow-through. All the staff does all day is think of ways to dupe you into believing you'll be able to turn this into a sustainable career. They just recycle the same program and promotions over and over. Your education is disorganized, disjointed, and completely outdated. The "certification" is useless. Maybe 1 in 1,000 will have the time, capital, and connections to make any money as a "health coach".

It's really a shame. The program and the company could do so much good but it seems like everyone has sold their souls to the corporate devil. The staff is miserable. Money is all that matters. It's become a really, really sad place.

Advice to Senior Managementcan you honestly look at yourself in the mirror and believe you're doing anything positive anymore? i'd be surprised to hear you sleep well at night.

Your coworkers are the only saving grace. At least the ones that haven't drank the kool aid.

Student Services (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCoworkers, free lunches (though quality went down past 2 years), other little perks that after a while you don't even care about

ConsMismanagement of funds and employees, misogyny, horrible tech for students and alumni which staff are then forced to then defend or apologize for, feeling like you are in a hamster wheel with the same mistakes repeated all the time by management, feeling like you have an axe over your head because CEO will come in and ruin any stability found in the company/school at any time, super high turn over- layoffs, people quitting and then mass rehiring, lack of home and work balance, you are asked to work evenings and weekends for PTO instead of paying you more. That's a joke since taking time off adds to the already stressful job. Definitely do not get paid enough for the stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake IIN an actual school, stop playing like its a business for certain things then running to excuse behavior because 'we are a school and a movement'. Show some transparency with money. Become a not for profit or an actual school! Stop discriminatory practices against mothers and women.

Unsatisfying

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers are supportive, lunch is provided but the massages were the best feature of this job

ConsManagement is disorganized and very high turnover rate

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be prepared to lose your job at any moment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, massages once a week, free organic food... Really loved my co-workers I have to say I have never worked in a place where almost everyone for the most part got a long and were very positive. I actually really loved it there until I was laid off for no reason out of the blue.

ConsI worked for the company for over a year had no complaints whatsoever, was a very happy and loyal employee, never had management say anything bad, got along with everybody, then I get laid off out of nowhere with no explanation even though I was doing better than most of the staff there. I still have no explanation for this, but I can't say I am surprised I have seen about 4 different lay offs in a year. They make you think it is a company that cares about their employees but obviously they do not. I felt like i was just left in the dust like I was nothing to them ever... pretty sad and disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou might want to be more transparent with your employees and actually tell them what is going on.

I wish I could give negative stars.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA few people--ones who didn't drink the Kool-Aid--were nice, smart, and had good intentions in an otherwise toxic place.

ConsEverything. It's one of the worst bait-and-switches with the worst management in the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementShut this sham down; it hurts people under the guise of being "a mission."

Boot camp for your ethics, working here will put the hair on your chest.

ProsIt's funny how many of my former coworkers say the same thing-- how when you are hired it's so exciting to work in a place with similar values, how inspiring it is until... Well, until you work there for a time and you see things, hear things and become... shall we say bitter? Disillusioned? Frustrated? Because this does not feel like a job at first--this is a mission! We are going to reverse the tide of disease! You hear in meetings -- We, as an organization will spread health and happiness through health coaches into every corner of this world!

But, all honeymoons come to an end. You get micromanaged. To the point where your whole day is plotted in a chart, and you account for every hour. Bathroom break for 15 minutes? Why so long?

And then there's pressure to work 'smarter' on projects basically cutting corners because timeline keeps shrinking, skipping important research and planning, we need results and we want it now. Or yesterday. That in itself is not too unique to this place, i mean, what company wouldn't like to squeeze every possible drop of performance out of the emplyees?

But the self congratulatory talk... Wow... Does not match the treatment of employees, the distrust, the silent layoffs, the manipulation of vendors, pressure to make people work over the holidays, the pressure for working late nights without fair compensation, the long winded praise of dumb people who take credit for other people's work, layoffs of pregnant women, firing women and men who just had newborns without batting an eye... You can expect that from another company, but IIN that preaches balance and wellness? That's where you get bitter, and when it's your turn to go, you go gladly, still remembering your amazing co-workers fondly, and shaking your head at the rest with a smile on your face... I can't believe it, you'll say... I survived that with my sanity and self esteem intact. And you know what? It's a joyful feeling. It feels great.

ConsThere are no cons. It's an amazing place that will test your limits. I guess, the massages are only 15 minutes. But they are still very good

Bizarre and unorganized; lacks trust and integrity.

No One Has A Job Title (Former Employee)

ProsThey manage to hire really smart and amazing people. Awesome co-workers are the pros. Most of what people consider being perks is master manipulation anyway. There are more cons than pros, but the overall environment taught me a lot and for that I am grateful.

ConsOnce upon a time, I took this job as eager as anyone else after being sold on all the great perks and amazing opportunities for growth as a female employee. Boy was I mislead. After years of working for IIN, yes, I did move up the “ladder”, but was not compensated fairly, well below the average salary in New York City for the positions I was in. But hey, who doesn’t want a massage every other week? In addition, the decisions for the positions that people are put in are made without consulting the employee. Nice, right?

There were many meetings where staff was told how each of them would be making a six-figure income if they continued to take on more and more work. Well, duh, that’s what should happen. More work = more pay, you would think. HA! Lies, lies. On the other hand, people who were given raises were also told that more income means you’re more likely to lose your job. What? These motivational meetings that randomly took place would leave people inspired, only to reveal that it was all deception.

The organization of this “school” is extremely chaotic and not thought out at all. There are young people in high-level “executive” positions with no other qualifications other than being obedient and ignorant. Submissive. Not everyone has a real job title or description and are thrown into new roles all the time. Much more qualified employees end up demoted or fired for speaking their mind, getting pregnant, having a baby, getting engaged/married, going on a honeymoon or simply for no valid reason at all. And when people exit the company, no one is ever informed. For many, checking the staff phone directory for who was missing became a routine part of the week. Transparency at it’s best.

The communication across departments is very lacking and even more so is communication from managers and executives. No one knows who does what, who sits where, or what is going on. I am all for an environment that moves at a fast pace and welcomes change, but not in a way that is haphazard. The staff won’t have even a moment to think about the changes that are happening, and when things don’t go right, the person who dictated change will flat out deny that they asked for it in the first place. Working for IIN requires you to be flexible, which is a great skill, but this was ridiculous.

The culture of IIN is bizarre. I am happy with my life, but that doesn’t mean that I want to hug and touch people in meetings for the purpose of sharing and to bond. Ew. There is lots of phony love going around. Flowers on your desk, organic food, free kombucha and chocolate on occasion, massages, inspirational calendars and metro cards ≠ honest respect and appreciation as an employee. The staff at IIN works extremely hard to carry out the mission of the school, however, the mission is not carried out internally.

Let’s talk about loyalty. Wait, there is none of this going on. Everyone is expendable and there is no long-term investment in any of the staff. Don’t even think about making this a lasting, meaningful career.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost importantly, value your hard working, intelligent employees - they are the ones making this a success. Practice what you "teach” – actions speak louder than words. Speak the truth. Think about what you're saying before you say it. Keep your promises (or at least don't deny them). Do legitimate performance reviews. Provide a clear path for professional growth and opportunities. Provide adequate training and continuing education. Compensate people fairly, with tangible money. Be genuine. Truly care about the women who are working to support their families. Don't play favorites. Be transparent, for real. Stop sweeping this all under the rug.

Not going well

Prosfree food, MTA transit check, free yoga and massage

ConsEven with all those benefits up above the worst thing is employees do not have a clue of what is going on within the company.
    The other thing is if you have a family and need medical/vision/dental insurance, this is not the company for you. It is 1100 dollars a month out of your paycheck.
    No moving up, your stuck in your position you were hired in.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out the free food, MTA transit check, yoga, massage, and free iphones and paying for the bills and start investing in what matter most health benefits and employee's overall satisfaction to stay within the company.

Stifling, micromanaging environment

Marketing (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMany of the staff were genuinely kind individuals.

ConsWhen I initially got my job at IIN, I was very excited about the position. The benefits sounded amazing, and although the pay was extremely low, the manifesto and mission of the school aligned with my beliefs to the point that I could overlook the money. Unfortunately, just like all the marketing collateral for the “school” itself, the benefits are nothing but a smarmy ploy to get employees to work long hours and put up with patronizing, micromanaging policies. I felt more like a high school student than a responsible adult in a workplace environment. I even realized that, just like in school, deferring to individuals who are not in the office every day and make decisions that negatively impact employees is a MUST if you want to succeed.

Working in the marketing department, I was also very uncomfortable with the way we promoted the “school” and it’s offerings. The ways we were instructed to write about the school were, like the benefits, at best, vague.

I knew I was done when we had a huge meeting at which time raises for staff were promised, which, from these reviews, seem to never have happened. At the meeting we were also told that the company was in a very strong position, which, from the mass layoffs, seems not to be the case. During this meeting, no one elevated issues that were negatively impacting employees, only talking about airy issues such as the lack of eggs in the fridge. Shortly after the meeting, I had a another meeting where my department and my boss were insulted in a snide, unprofessional manner. I don’t know if the reasoning was to intimidate or what, but it was so off putting and unprofessional that I put in my two weeks’ notice that very day. While I would expect that kind of behavior in other work environments, I wouldn’t at a place that preaches kindness, compassion and loving your work.

When I quit, I met with an HR employee who condescendingly told me that the work wasn’t for everyone and that IIN was more of a start up environment where only the truly driven succeeded. This could answer many questions as to why this workplace is so badly organized: people in power either do not understand or do not want to see the reality of this workplace for the vision they have of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, upper management should be in the office more often to fully understand how their policies impact the implementation of everyday projects. Second, transparency in terms of benefits for employees would be much appreciated, as these are very opaque at this point and are a huge pain point for employees. Third, micromanaging employees and treating them in a condescending manner is not the best way to foster and maintain loyalty.

Everything is an illusion

(Current Employee)

ProsThe best part of this job is working with a group of amazing individuals who are truly some of the most inspiring and kind people I know. Everyone looks forward to our bi-weekly table massages.

ConsEverything is an illusion. And if you ever knew what was behind the curtain, you would dare never peak. After attending IIN, I became a successful Health Coach, spreading the word and shamelessly promoting the school. I can honestly tell you that it changed my life. But after working here for over a year now, my views have changed. How did you feel when you realized Santa is not real? When the thing you so deeply believe in is proven not real is the most disappointing experience. To see how IIN actually treats their employees, to see how much lying and deceit goes on is deplorable. “IIN’s Mission” is flattering thought that will win a Miss America Beauty Pageant, but nothing more.

Everything is an illusion. When I read the benefits for the job, I thought this must be the best place every to work, but now that I’m here, my thoughts have changed and now realize it’s not all unicorns and rainbows. Free organic breakfasts and lunch? Not so free when you get taxed heavily on your paychecks. Full healthcare? We have the cheapest coverage and hardly anyone takes our insurance. Hardly “full” when you cannot find someone who covers you. Flowers on your desk weekly? You get ONE flower each week. Bonuses are taxed 42%. Gift Cards given to you as kudos get taken off your paychecks, which is not much to begin with. And every week you find out how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Everything is an illusion. My first 3 and ½ months here was great, but the proverbial Honeymoon period abruptly ended with the firing of a many good employees. No warning, no nothing, just gone. Every time this happens, (which is every few months) you get more and more scared that you are next. Employees are replaceable, dispensable, expendable. This is the highest turnover rate that I have ever seen in all the companies that I have worked for. Everyone has a plan B incase they are next on the chopping block. We have even seen management and HR fabricate feeble and vague stories about why certain people have been let go to cover up egregious behavior by the company.

Everything is an illusion. I will confirm what one of the other posts said about HR Managers making their employees write positive reviews here. I know at least 2 people were given that task.

Sadly, this is just another corporate job. I have started my search for a job with more meaning, with more hope, with a company who really does walk the walk. Yes, this is better than no job, but if you value your time, take pride in the work you do, and truly have talent, my recommendation is to look elsewhere to put your talent to use.

Choose the BLUE pill!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to us; we see right through it. Stop cheating the system; everyone knows you are doing it.

Treat us like valued employees. Appreciate us. Respect us.

Most of all, live your mission. That is why we are all here. Read it to yourself everyday and ask “Is what I am doing and what I am asking my employees do contributing the this mission?”

Worked for Institute for Integrative Nutrition? Contribute to the Community!