Institute for Integrative Nutrition
www.integrativenutrition.com New York, NY 50 to 149 Employees

Institute for Integrative Nutrition Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Joshua Rosenthal

Passionate mission driven perfect for many

Teaching and Learning Coach (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI’m nearing the end of a very long career and thought that I had pretty much seen everything. Then three years ago I started work for the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) a most unusual and welcome place. It was the energy of difference that first struck me. Active, healthy engaged people responding during the workday to the frenzy of hyper-growth and ending the day at peace with onsite free yoga. A communal healthy lunch, a funky but attractive headquarters largely devoid of hierarchy and a passionate visionary leader so intent on making the world a better place it is easy for some to misinterpret his intent.

Working at IIN for me is great. But, it is what you make of it. The pulse is passion, the tempo is quick and the mission immediate. If you thrive in this environment, enjoy the uncertainty of creating change and want to be part of something bigger than yourself you will love IIN.
IIN’s business model is unique. It is a for-profit company that operates like a non-profit. Its market position generates plenty of income and that income is used to increase customer and team member value. Several times a year IIN offers to its students and graduates free continuing education in the form of live conferences featuring the world’s experts. The most recent conference was headlined by DePak Chopra, Ariana Huffington and Christian Northrup. The most recent company retreat was a winter break weekend on Miami Beach.
IIN is a global education company headquartered in New York. With students in over 70 countries IIN continues to provide continuing education around the globe including Helsinki, Geneva, Mexico City, London, Toronto and Sydney.

IIN would not be the company it is except for the kindness of Joshua Rosenthal. As a person he is generous, engaged, interested and future focused. As he ages his intent to change the world becomes more up tempo as he time works against him. If you merely seek good pay and benefits IIN is not for you. But, if you want good pay and benefits coupled with work that really matters, is mission driven and can be both exhausting and exhilarating, you will thrive at IIN.

ConsIf you merely seek good pay and benefits IIN is not for you. But, if you want good pay and benefits coupled with work that really matters, is mission driven and can be both exhausting and exhilarating, you will thrive at IIN.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to let a powerful mission be the company's compass.

Employer of Choice, a Dream Come True!

Student Success Coordinator (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking at the institute for Integrative Nutrition is a privilege. I am honored to be part of such an amazing company that actually walks its talk, and provides its employees with a culture of values aligned with those it promotes among its students. I go to work every day knowing that I am part of a movement effecting health and happiness in the world. And it's awesome to be able to support students as they navigate through the curriculum and share their passions with me. I get to see students take color from their palette to their canvas, painting the most extraordinary masterpieces that represent their unique backgrounds and stories.

As an employer, IIN respects and values its employees, honoring them for their contributions and acknowledging their skills with exceptional benefits. From massages to health insurance to 401(K) matching to monthly transit check cards, this employer of choice attends to every detail of health. Management encourages growth and development, and listens to the concerns and needs of employees. A true partnership exists where each individual is on equal ground. From the incredible facilities staff who keep our work environment immaculate with all-natural sustainable cleaning products to Joshua Rosenthal, founder of the Institute, all are treated with diplomacy and valued. Unlike many other places of employment, there is no exclusivity; all are invited to participate in theme days (during which amazing prizes such as spa gift certificates are awarded, decorations adorn every corner, and a rock-star feast is served for lunch) and company-sponsored retreats (think Miami Beach).

Additionally, employees have the rare opportunity to enroll in the courses offered by the institution on full scholarship. Imagine, you not only get to work in a health-promoting environment, but you get to earn a certificate that will potentially generate additional income and will assist you in developing professionally so that you can advance within the company. Having already completed the Health Coach Training Program, I am fortunate enough to be enrolled in Joshua's newest initiative, the Launch a Book course. Publishing a book has been a goal of mine for a while, and now my place of employment is gifting me the means to achieve it. The above benefits are wonderful and certainly contribute to motivating me to be the best that I can be. However, most profound, is the company's focus on charitable contributions. My breath is continually taken away by the enormous monetary contributions the Institute makes to charities. And, once again, employees have a voice in where the monies are donated. As the foundress and president of a 501 (c) (3) non-profit, I know how important donations are for sustaining efforts and continuing to give to those in need. Charities are at the mercy of companies such as IIN. My charity, among many others, has been touched by Joshua's selfless spirit and recognition that good multiplies.

I speak from my heart. Each day, to and fro work, I express my gratitude for the job that I have. The work environment is unlike any other I have experienced. It's not a job, but a calling; one that I put my whole heart into and that speaks my passion.

ConsI truly do not have any cons about this employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the amazing job you're doing!

Coursework is not science based and that is a huge problem.

Educator, Speaker, Course Advisor (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThankfully I wasn't there long enough to have my reputation ruined.

ConsThe coursework is NOT in any way based on basic nutritional needs. The fact that the "Blood Type Diet" (late 90's fad diet craze) has a place in the curriculum shows this is only a money making venture. If you want to get a real nutrition education, including a solid background in the science behind it, go to EatRight.org. Only there will you be able to get an ACTUAL Degree and not simply a paid for "certification". When it comes to health, a quick fix education on alternative nutrition is not a good idea. What is a "health coach" anyway? Personally, if someone has the cash for this course, they would be better served going and getting a Dietetic degree from an accredited college. Lots of universities have Dietitian programs, then, you will actually HAVE credentials to coach someone on their diet. Good luck trying to get a job with this "certification", it is worthless in the real world. I know someone that was "coach" for about 9 months. She made no money and is now working a regular job. Money wasted.

Advice to Senior ManagementCongratulations, you unlocked the code to making money from the uneducated whom believe their certification can get them somewhere in the Holistic Health world.....

Know your job well? Thanks, but no thanks.

Tech (Current Employee)
New York, NY

ProsGreat central location in midtown Manhattan
Great executive chef food served daily, with snacks and treats, all organic and well-done
Summer Fridays
9-5:30 work culture
Working to help people live healthier lives

ConsReally bad healthcare benefits (probably do better with Obamacare)
50-60% employee turnover
Totally incompetent senior management
Priorities change daily - literally, daily
If you opt-in on their website, you'll get spammed for life
People who have no idea what they are doing run meetings and projects which are a total disaster
Offices are FREEZING cold
Offices are poorly organized, requiring a lot of trips to the slowest elevators in the world

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't listen to advice, so what's the point? They think they know everything.

Double Edged Sword

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time for more than a year

ProsYou work with amazing and smart people in a great environment, and are exposed to projects with great potential. This place has accomplished a very balanced work environment, where people are getting a good push, get the right amount of stress/pressure, but at the same time have a lot of fun.

ConsAll your hard work will turn to frustration when the always detached owner & stakeholders consistently overrule your expertise with their "more expert" decisions. I think this is something that happens in all companies, but in IIN, it is at an extreme level. There is so much potential, but everything is bottlenecked by the owner.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers? I don't think the owner allows anyone to manage anything. The moment he steps into the picture, everyone becomes messengers and monkeys.

Great staff, but very limited job security.

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time for more than a year

ProsThe IIN staff. They would be best described as a group of talented, creative, out-of-the-box thinkers who genuinely believe they can help spread the ripple effect.
The free lunch is great
The monthly compensation for commuting via subway is also really helpful.
Massages are another small added perk.
Depending on the department, there can be a lot of opportunities to work on a lot of new projects.
Free education and staff scholarships for the IIN training program.
Half-day Fridays during the summer months.

ConsThe CEO is very unpredictable and likes to play mind games. If your opinions and values don't directly correlate with his - your time there will be short.
The CEO's general interaction with most employees. He gives a lot of backhand compliments, or just completely disrespects employees with some of his remarks.
The massive layoffs produced by extremely poor financial planning.
The small amount of sick days.
The morale is often very low as everyone is waiting for another layoff, or to be dismissed without any warning or valid reason.
The behavior and attitudes towards women who announced they were either engaged or pregnant. They were basically shunned and then fired, because they would be 'too occupied' with planning or have 'pregnancy brain'.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs stated in many other reviews, more transparency. Not only with your staff, but with one another. There is a lot of tension created among upper management because of the CEO's sporadic involvement, which tends to cause chaos.

a total sham

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee)
New York, NY

Prosfree food, metro pass, 10 min massages - all to lure you in a steal your soul

ConsThis place is such a joke. The egomaniac founder consistently lies employees and students. The lies are so extreme it's hard to fathom and it infects everyone. As a member of the admissions team, lying is your job.

IIN changes their business model every 2 months and everyone just bows in submission to the founder's terrible, impulsive ideas. When sh*t hits the fan, they just fire anyone they can. All they care about is their bottom line. Employees are completely expendable and you spend every day living in fear that you'll lose your job at the drop of a hat. No one ever knows what is going on or what situation you'll walk into each day.

It doesn't matter how hard you work, how smart you are, or how many additional responsibilities you take on - all you are is overhead. You feel sick and dirty from knowing that all you do is mislead people day in and day out. Everything this company is selling (to both employees and students) is completely, "diametrically opposed" to the reality.

If you are a student, all the company cares about is getting your money. After that, you are simply an inconvenience. There is no support or follow-through. All the staff does all day is think of ways to dupe you into believing you'll be able to turn this into a sustainable career. They just recycle the same program and promotions over and over. Your education is disorganized, disjointed, and completely outdated. The "certification" is useless. Maybe 1 in 1,000 will have the time, capital, and connections to make any money as a "health coach".

It's really a shame. The program and the company could do so much good but it seems like everyone has sold their souls to the corporate devil. The staff is miserable. Money is all that matters. It's become a really, really sad place.

Advice to Senior Managementcan you honestly look at yourself in the mirror and believe you're doing anything positive anymore? i'd be surprised to hear you sleep well at night.

Your coworkers are the only saving grace. At least the ones that haven't drank the kool aid.

Student Services (Former Employee)

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time for more than a year

ProsCoworkers, free lunches (though quality went down past 2 years), other little perks that after a while you don't even care about

ConsMismanagement of funds and employees, misogyny, horrible tech for students and alumni which staff are then forced to then defend or apologize for, feeling like you are in a hamster wheel with the same mistakes repeated all the time by management, feeling like you have an axe over your head because CEO will come in and ruin any stability found in the company/school at any time, super high turn over- layoffs, people quitting and then mass rehiring, lack of home and work balance, you are asked to work evenings and weekends for PTO instead of paying you more. That's a joke since taking time off adds to the already stressful job. Definitely do not get paid enough for the stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake IIN an actual school, stop playing like its a business for certain things then running to excuse behavior because 'we are a school and a movement'. Show some transparency with money. Become a not for profit or an actual school! Stop discriminatory practices against mothers and women.

Unsatisfying

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time for more than a year

ProsCo-workers are supportive, lunch is provided but the massages were the best feature of this job

ConsManagement is disorganized and very high turnover rate

Be prepared to lose your job at any moment

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition

ProsGood pay, massages once a week, free organic food... Really loved my co-workers I have to say I have never worked in a place where almost everyone for the most part got a long and were very positive. I actually really loved it there until I was laid off for no reason out of the blue.

ConsI worked for the company for over a year had no complaints whatsoever, was a very happy and loyal employee, never had management say anything bad, got along with everybody, then I get laid off out of nowhere with no explanation even though I was doing better than most of the staff there. I still have no explanation for this, but I can't say I am surprised I have seen about 4 different lay offs in a year. They make you think it is a company that cares about their employees but obviously they do not. I felt like i was just left in the dust like I was nothing to them ever... pretty sad and disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou might want to be more transparent with your employees and actually tell them what is going on.

Worked for Institute for Integrative Nutrition? Contribute to the Community!

Institute for Integrative Nutrition Videos

Institute for Integrative Nutrition – Why Work for Us?

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Institute for Integrative Nutrition reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Institute for Integrative Nutrition CEO Joshua Rosenthal. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Institute for Integrative Nutrition employees.