Institute for Integrative Nutrition

Updated December 5, 2014
2.4

Joshua Rosenthal

I loved working at IIN

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment, free healthy lunch, PTO policy, bi-weekly massage.
    The best perk by far are the employees. IIN attracts bright people who have become dear friends and many of them still work at the company.

It's unfortunate to read the negative reviews on this site mostly from those who are no longer with IIN.
    What I did notice at my time there was a strange level of entitlement with employees who had worked at the company for a while.
    IIN constantly rewards staff with great benefits -on site chiropractic care once per month, organic chocolate, fresh juices in addition to the other built in benefits. While it is true that there is a lot of change within the company, it's almost as if staff uses this as a reason to complain and demand more from management to compensate for any growing pains experienced during their employment. Change is not welcomed by everyone, and to enjoy working here you have to be open to shifting direction and taking on new roles and projects. It's all about perspective.

Cons

There was turnover in management during my time there which can be unsettling, but better to change management then to keep people in place who should not be managing others.
    Projects are always urgent and immediate, this creates confusion around priorities.

Be clear about your expectations and priorities.
    Transparency around why things are changing will put your staff at ease.

Unstable -- Don't do it. Trust me.

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition (less than an year)

Pros

The perks are real. Free metro card, massages, catered organic lunch. Yes! Yes! YES! Coworkers were all friendly and motivated.

Cons

Those perks are taken from your salary....so if you do the math, there really are no perks as your salary is about 15% below average, or WORSE. In my short stay I saw many random firings/restructurings, including the head of my department. I did what any reasonable person would do..RAN like Usain Bolt before they got me. Everyone was scared, everyone was looking for a way out....

I'm not sure what to say. The reviews state it plainly. All of the problems point in one direction...the top.

Gives appearance of being a great place to work but is actually an extremely unstable work environment.

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition

Pros

Organic lunches, metrocard, yoga classes, massages, health insurance.

Cons

No job stability, inexperienced management, use of fear to drive employees, unpredictable founder.

Invest in your employees more and strengthen the communication throughout the company so that your employees understand what is happening. There is too much turnover, irresponsible spending, mistreatment by managers and constant fear of being fired.

Interesting Place

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time

Pros

Great lunches, great mission, really nice people, good location

Cons

Crazy CEO, people get fired for almost no reason, don't expect to keep your job if you get pregnant, cult like atmosphere, if you are not new agey, you won't like the classes

institute a real human resources department, stop having meetings about company direction that are designed to actually clean house and see who is "with the program"

Always afraid

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are cool. Free lunch, massages bi-weekly, some transit money, monthly chiropractor.. The mission statement is what attracted me the most.

Cons

Doesn't seem like people care if you are growing here or not. There is high turnover because of the constant fear that you might get laid off. Multiple teams are created and then a week later... doesn't exist anymore since minds are changed.

Business should create clear goals for the year and create a safer environment by not laying off a huge chunk of people multiple times.

A Mixed Bag

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers, benefits, perks

The best part of working at Integrative Nutrition is the people you will meet. It attracts energetic, intelligent, and passionate people. IIN hires younger people, which has positives and negatives, but almost everyone is very hard working and a team player. Time off and insurance policies are good, and the little perks (like free, healthy meals and 10-minute bi-weekly massages) add up to a nice package. Usually there are very fair raises too. IIN has some great public-facing values, but as I'll write below, there's not much integrity in that department. For people and perks I give three stars. (Wish I could give 2.5 stars!)

Cons

Leadership, fearful environment, a 'two-face' value system

As many other reviews have said the staff turnover is very alarming, and there is little to no transparency when it comes to firing/layoff decisions, even when many staff are badly affected. At least twice a year there was a stream of layoffs, and it really struck a blow to moral and resulted in many people quitting in the aftermath. IIN needs to fix their hiring/firing issue, which is clearly coming from the top down. Otherwise the one-two star reviews here will keep rolling in and they're going to continue to have an unhappy staff on their hands. The fearful atmosphere is really terrible.

I agree with many of my ex-coworkers - the instability at IIN is usually connected to the founder, Joshua Rosenthal. He sometimes has good ideas and wants quick results. Staff from multiple departments will work their tails off to make it happen - putting other projects on the back burner of course - and after a few months his priorities will change to a shiny, new idea (or an older idea that was put on the back burner last year per his request). It creates a lot of wasted effort and back peddling. And I suspect it also puts HR into 'hiring mode' so that the project can get done and meet Joshua's demands. When he loses interest or pushes a new project, those new hires become expendable to some degree. If too many people are hired for one of his projects, a few months later there will be layoffs.

Please, please stabilize. Create a system to better handle large scale projects, increasing/decreasing staff, etc. that Joshua can agree on and have some integrity! Or at the very least be honest with employees. Layoffs with no explanation lead to fear and staff turnover. I could not even be honest in my exit interview out of fear that it would tarnish the good reference that I had earned from IIN!

Don't Get Comfortable

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch and snacks, bi-weekly massages, free transit checks

Cons

This company has the potential to be great if they would make sound decisions. The company likes to say that things are constantly changing and the employees must be able to adapt to change; however, those changes come in the form of hiring and then firing when things are not going as the company planned. In just two months 7 employees including 2 VPs and a manager were let go, 4 employees including a manager resigned, and another manager went back to being a rep after only one month in a management role. This is not a good look for a sales team that had less than 30 people including managers.

The marketing department is awful and continuously runs the same promotions over and over. There is a promo just about every month and they are all pretty much the same. The efforts to drive sales are very annoying to the potential students as they are spammed to death in their emails seemingly by several employees which are really just names on emails generated by marketing and not actual employees at all. Marketing needs a serious overhaul and people who know what they are doing and know how to reach and attract their target market.

I enjoyed my very short time at IIN, but it is a very unstable place to work and anyone just coming in should be very aware of this and not get too comfortable. This should be considered a temporary place and you should really keep looking for other opportunities because IIN fires with no warning. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Stop hiring people just to fire them when your own plans do not pan out. Look to the real cause of the issue and fix that. Hiring and firing people on a whim is terrible for employee morale and also for company reputation.

Bizarre Roller-Coaster-Ride of a Job

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- great coworkers who became lifelong friends
    - organic meals and snacks
    - flowers on your desk
    - flexible time off system

Cons

- poor communication between different departments
    - constantly changing (not always for the good) work environment
    - felt like a scam to sell people this "training program" when you can not do much with it; unless you already have a successful wellness business OR are very good at scamming others into thinking you're something that you are not (and they will help you learn to do this... perhaps that's a pro?!)
    - customer service system is set up to provide as little one-on-one service as possible once people in enroll in the program and this leads to a great deal of unnecessarily unhappy customers for staff to deal with
    - bonus pay structure changed monthly (and with every new manager) making it difficult to plan your financial future
    - delusional & narcissistic CEO who acts like a philanthropist in public, but is money-hungry and manipulative behind closed doors
    - ever-rising sales and performance goals keep you feeling stressed and under-appreciated, even if you're a top performer (it's never enough!)

Bizarre Work Environment

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition

Pros

Bi-weekly massages and free lunches were nice, as was the free Metrocard.

Cons

Integrative Nutrition was one of the most bizarre companies I've worked for. While the company claims to 'empower' women and help them create a life they love, it's the complete opposite working for them.

The CEO constantly makes hasty decisions that don't make much business sense, throwing the company into chaos. He doesn't like people to ask questions, even if it's to better understand how they can improve in the future. It's not uncommon to have him ignore you and talk through another person (who won't ask questions) to ask you to do things. He seems to favor certain members of the staff, sharing important information with them before even senior management hears about it, creating tension and competition with peers.

Mass hirings and then firings seem to be the norm, and the company is once again going through a mass layoff period. People are being relocated to jobs that had nothing to do with the roles they were hired to do, while a number of others are being laid off.

If you're looking into a job here, be sure you know what you're getting into. Do research, read reviews (though management asks people to post good reviews here, so you may want to take those with a grain of salt), and know that your time here may be extremely short.

Let directors and VPs (if there are any left) do their jobs. They know their stuff, which is why they were hired. One person can't make every decision for the company.

this place is awesome

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (less than an year)

Pros

love that it is mission driven, love the course, awesome people who are very into health and wellness, g

Cons

CEO is more mission driven than financially driven

work as a team