Institute for Shipboard Education

Be The First To
Add Photos

A Once-in-a-Lifetime Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe opportunity to work onboard is truly an amazing experience. It's hard to explain how cohesive the community feels until you experience it yourself. On a spring or fall voyage you'll spend time in roughly 12 different countries in very different parts of the world. I can't recommend this opportunity enough, regardless of what staff position you decide to take.

ConsThe pay for all positions is extremely low, though the travel, room/board, and wonderful community experiences make up for a lot of what you miss out on in salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has a long way to go in terms of ensuring the sustainability of the program. However, recent shifts in top staff have opened up the possibilities of innovation and change.

Wonderful Experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is such a neat experience, where you are able to travel the world, work with fun and intelligent people, and help students have an amazing study abroad trip. I cannot recommend it highly enough!

ConsSome of the in port visits are pretty short, which can be hectic. Living on a ship for an extended period of time can make you a bit stir crazy.

Ups and Downs

ProsThe company is composed of wonderful people, there are many opportunities to travel in the US and abroad, and it's overall a cause to believe in.

ConsThe Institute pays an abysmal salary, no bonuses, no living wage increase (in 4!! years), and all departments are severely understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut your salaries; be as transparent to your employees as you claim to be.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing !!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou have the opportunity to see the world

ConsYou don't always get a chance to visit the educational - historical
    Sites of the places

Getting paid to travel the world!

Living Learning Coordinator (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsSeeing 12+ countries in four months! Having your own cabin! Meals provided! Building bonds with your community. Being personally transformed. Making lifelong friendships.

ConsSlow, limited internet access. Being on duty in-port limits extensive travel. Salary does not cover travel expenses. ISE VERY disorganized, slow (or no!) response to e-mails and phone calls. No on-boarding/training. No performance feedback. After you leave the ship, you will be constantly bombarded for fundraising (when you are STILL paying back expenses occured from the trip!!).

Advice to Senior ManagementISE VERY disorganized, slow (or no!) response to e-mails and phone calls. No on-boarding/training. No performance feedback. Feels thrown together.

The best semester of my life, ever.

Computer Lab Work Study (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsTravel the world while teaching students who are passionate about exploration.

ConsIf you get sea sick easily it might not be as enjoyable but still an amazing experience

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute for Shipboard Education selects the best staff and faculty based on the voyage itinerary.

Great experience

Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsStrong land grant mission and values.

ConsHire from within frequently and consistently.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your staff.

Offers great opportunities for those interested in study abroad education

ProsGreat People
    Great Organization
    Valuable Travel Information is gained and learned in this office.
    Flexible Hours
    Employees work together like a well-oiled machine. Everyone is aware of their tasks/duties and despite how busy the office can be, they get them done.
    Working with the public and also helping people achieve their dream of world traveling is another perk.

ConsThere are absolutely none to list.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's really nothing else I can suggest. Institute for Shipboard Education is a great organization full of great, dedicated and energetic employees.

Not a bad place to start, but not much job security

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly coworkers, some very compassionate and sincere coworkers that actually alot about the program and students,relaxed atmosphere, possibility of promotion, work sponsored events (softball, lunches, birthdays)

ConsAlmost everyone is out of touch with what goes on during the Semester At Sea program. Imagine your grandmother DJing in Ibiza... thats probably the best analogy i could come up with for the out of touchness the management have.

Some employees in higher positions have their spouses/ partners hired for certain positions (President/CEO, COO, and CFO, all had or currently have their partner spouses employed in mid level positions.

Money is wasted everywhere (over staffing, random trinkets engraved with Semester at Sea, Out of date addresses{about 50-70% of each mailing actually reach the addressee}. In the last six years the tuition has gone up from $15000 per semester to $32,000 per semester for the same cabin, SAS sites the increase in fuel as the reason, one day working here and you will realize that is not the case.

Management are very secretive about future projects, create uncertainty among employees, and about their job security. Recently about 10 midlevel employees some with more than 10 years at the company were let go about 20% of the total number of employees, and were replaced by entry level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more in touch with the program,

Great, and not so great.

Director (Current Employee)

ProsFantastic health, dental, and vision benefits
    Dynamic office culture
    Opportunities for employees and family members to sail on voyages
    Accessible leadership
    Some flexibility in work schedules/arrangements

ConsGreat intentions, lousy execution
    Wide disparity of treatment among employees at every level
    Atmosphere of great instability, particularly in the wake of rising fuel costs
    Poor communication
    Technology is outdated and negatively impacts productivity
    Has a strong benefits package (and focuses on this often) but offers NO paid maternity leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They are bright, creative, and dedicated, and are more than willing to share their suggestions. Walk your talk.

Worked for Institute for Shipboard Education? Contribute to the Community!