Institute for Systems Biology

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Leroy Hood

Best place I have ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCutting edge science, lack of drama and hierarchy, truly embrace diversity, great collaboration opportunities

ConsSometimes leadership is loyal to the wrong people

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to create more opportunities in between postdoc and research scientist

As a summer intern, got a flavor for the Systems Bio field

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros-Had plenty of say in what project I wanted to work on, which is rare for a low-level internship position.
    -The PIs at ISB encourage employees to be autodidactic in their free time.

ConsVenture-funded research can often move to quickly over problems that deserve more contemplation.

Advice to Senior Management-The 'bleeding edge' is not necessarily the only place for innovative systems bio research. -Invest more heavily in MD modeling infrastructure. One exceptional aspect of ISB is having a fully functioning wet lab just a floor below the comp. bio offices.

Love working here.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsYou get to work with great people, very smart and friendly. You get to do interesting and challenging work. You get lots of autonomy and opportunities to collaborate on various projects.

ConsFunding is always an issue, but that is not specific to ISB... in fact in some senses that works very well at ISB, since it's not just federal funding. Lots of funding comes from other sources like partnerships.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Science and Dedicated People

ProsWork is interesting and challenging, I have experienced good collaboration amongst peers and good mentoring from superiors. Management is actually mostly good. Work life balance is very good and we have great benefits.

ConsFunding is not stable (but not unlike almost all similar research institutes), Pay is lower than for Profit companies (again, not unlike other similar institutes), communication is sometimes slow or incomplete.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more information more often and more quickly (before we all start talking about it anyway) - we want to hear about the good stuff AND the not so good even if you don't have it figured out yet.

Dream job, excellent environment.

Administration (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe people are fantastic, the mission is laudible. Wonderful environment with top notch scientists who are on a mission to solve life's biological problems - there is so much opportunity to make the world a better place! ISB has been supportive while allowing academic freedom and personal autonomy.

ConsBudgetary concerns. Some labs are doing well, others aren't. There is some negativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssess individual job performance institute-wide. Work more collaboratively with all levels - create "systems" admin/teamwork.

good envioronment. after moving of location. budget has been tight

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosa few good faculty members and many good employees

Consbudget short, not too strong in lab research

Never a dull moment!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsTop-flight scientists working on cutting-edge equipment. Excellent research! Scientists are afforded a phenomenal environment in which to conduct their research.

ConsAdministration is sometimes chaotic and inefficient. IT management is disconnected from the needs of the organization in terms of customer service.

I worked here for a while

Research Scientist (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSmall organization; good for stopover; if you are Chinese, this place is ideal for you

ConsThe Institute is going to crumble down in few years due to lack of funding and mindless spending on its new building and also on its senior and non performing scientists; most big shots left the Institute due to lack of transparencies in the operation and management of funds.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring transparency in research management and infuse work ethics among Asians.

Poor direction that lacks transperancy in research and the utilization of funding resources

Research Scientist (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAverage salary, moderate benifits, insulated research environment; once big shots were associated with this Institute;new building and its neighbourhood;

ConsIf you need to work on mass spectrometer you will have to face troubles because of a dishonest fellow that controls the operation, so be prepared.

Advice to Senior Managementbring better people to work

Positive, stimulating environment

Administrative (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people and positive mission. Well-intentioned. They try to use funds wisely. There are a lot of talented people. Great location. Great benefits.

ConsAverage to below average pay. I did not experience much team building. It felt a little insular at times.

Worked for Institute for Systems Biology? Contribute to the Community!