Institute for Urban Family Health

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
2.7

Neil Calman

A great place to gain experience

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

they really do believe in the mission

Cons

the great patient care provided does not filter to the employees, little interest in staff development

Demoralizing

Former Employee - Mental Health Clinician  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mental Health Clinician in New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

All of my colleagues are wonderful, intelligent, supportive, and inspiring people. I will keep in touch.

Cons

Excessively insensitive to the therapeutic alliance with all the data collection and the lack of clinical support and high case loads.

Set case loads, give comprehensive health benefits, clinical supervision, and training in a more consistent and patient centered manner.

Veneer of professionalism masks the poorest services to clients and most unpleasant treatment of workers.

Former Employee - Mental Health Clinician  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mental Health Clinician in New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flex time is available if wanted

Cons

Productivity demands are unrealistic. Professionals are infantalized. 30 mins for lunch is insufficient for a super high volume work load. 70+ caseloads. Management is unpleasant. High turnover of workers across the board. This was a nightmare job and a horror show agency. Clients are treated disrespectfully and clinicians are simultaneously infantalized and overworked. The mental health branch of the agency is a smoke and mirror hoax. Perhaps medical is better. The mental health client services delivered here are the poorest I have seen personally. I guess they are not actually committing fraud but they come as close as possible to fraud without crossing the line. They do not deliver effective services as their focus is only on the electronic medical record looking good. The actual delivery of therapeutic services does not seem to matter to management. I believe OMH likes this agency quite a bit. But I am sureinfantalized that the truth will come out. If you scratch the service beneath a good act of professionalism, all you will find is a nasty Medicaid mill.

Be less disparaging towards clients

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty Good

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health

Pros

Nice people and good mission.

Cons

Job was not for me.

Interesting place to work...

Current Employee - Mental Health Clinician  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Mental Health Clinician in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good clinical supervision and decent salary. You get continuing education money to attend conferences and lectures, which is a nice perk. You get lots of vacation time. You gain a sense of satisfaction in helping others. I love my patients and some of my coworkers are awesome, too.

Cons

IFH is still finding their way and they've made some unusual hiring choices over the past year. The staff turnover rate is very high. Be wary of the Bronx clinics. If you do interview, speak to an employee currently in the position you are applying for to get the inside scoop.

To be more careful of who you hire for management positions and to do better background checks.

underpaid and overworked

Former Employee - Nurse  in  Kingston, NY
    Former Employee - Nurse in Kingston, NY

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

health plan offered is sliding scale, affordable to those who make smaller paychecks. always a job vacancy.

Cons

low salary. long hours. lack of innovation. new programs initiated without discussion with staff. understaffed. longterm employees without motivation to exceed, can get away with status quo, if you are motivated to do your best, there is little reward.

raise wages to increase, increase staffing.

They bleed you dry and still want you to work harder.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health

Pros

Great place to get experience for licensing.

Cons

You are expected to do all your notes on your own time, no admin time, you have to make ACS calls, calls to parents teachers, do treatment plans, etc.etc. etc. on your own time because your are booked all day with client appointments.

Realize that not everyone is a workaholic like you are.

Paid better than most.

Current Employee - Mental Health Clinician
    Current Employee - Mental Health Clinician

I have been working at Institute for Urban Family Health

Pros

Professional advancement is always encouraged

Cons

Burnout is often a risk

Worked for Institute for Urban Family Health? Contribute to the Community!