Institute for Urban Family Health

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
3.1

Neil Calman

Great staff and warm research community who care.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People who genuinely care about the patients and their staff.

Cons

There is not the most financial backing in their employees with regard to moving their careers forward.

RN

I have been working at Institute for Urban Family Health

Pros

Great place to learn, new grad friendly.

Cons

Low pay, no real nursing leadership.

Need nursing leadership!

Experience working for IFH

Former Employee - Care Navigator
    Former Employee - Care Navigator

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health

Pros

This is a mission driven institution that does great work for New York City's underserved populations. It has plenty of opportunity for growth and leadership who are committed to improving the health of the community. They offer almost 5 weeks of paid time off to any full time employee and most employees (not including clinicians) only work 40 hours per week.

Cons

It is a fast paced, often chaotic environment and the pay is much lower than what can be found at academic research institutions or government entities.

It's important to understand what's happening on the ground floor. Often times policies were created and enforced at IFH without any discussion about the relevance of those policies to the staff who they directly affected.

I enjoyed helping, supporting and interacting with my patients very much.

Former Employee - Patient Serives Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Patient Serives Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The doctors and nurses were great to work with. They really care about their patients and went above and beyond for them.

Cons

The pay didn't match the work. And the employees knew that they were all disposable at a moment's notice.

Appreciation goes a long way. Some of the administrators were full of themselves and abused their power. They had their favorites, and everyone knew it. Very unprofessional when it came to the employees. Their core values were great, but hardly implemented by ALL employees and administrators.

A great place to gain experience

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

they really do believe in the mission

Cons

the great patient care provided does not filter to the employees, little interest in staff development

Demoralizing

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

All of my colleagues are wonderful, intelligent, supportive, and inspiring people. I will keep in touch.

Cons

Excessively insensitive to the therapeutic alliance with all the data collection and the lack of clinical support and high case loads.

Set case loads, give comprehensive health benefits, clinical supervision, and training in a more consistent and patient centered manner.

Veneer of professionalism masks the poorest services to clients and most unpleasant treatment of workers.

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flex time is available if wanted

Cons

Productivity demands are unrealistic. Professionals are infantalized. 30 mins for lunch is insufficient for a super high volume work load. 70+ caseloads. Management is unpleasant. High turnover of workers across the board. This was a nightmare job and a horror show agency. Clients are treated disrespectfully and clinicians are simultaneously infantalized and overworked. The mental health branch of the agency is a smoke and mirror hoax. Perhaps medical is better. The mental health client services delivered here are the poorest I have seen personally. I guess they are not actually committing fraud but they come as close as possible to fraud without crossing the line. They do not deliver effective services as their focus is only on the electronic medical record looking good. The actual delivery of therapeutic services does not seem to matter to management. I believe OMH likes this agency quite a bit. But I am sureinfantalized that the truth will come out. If you scratch the service beneath a good act of professionalism, all you will find is a nasty Medicaid mill.

Be less disparaging towards clients

Pretty Good

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health

Pros

Nice people and good mission.

Cons

Job was not for me.

Interesting place to work...

Current Employee - Mental Health Clinician in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Mental Health Clinician in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good clinical supervision and decent salary. You get continuing education money to attend conferences and lectures, which is a nice perk. You get lots of vacation time. You gain a sense of satisfaction in helping others. I love my patients and some of my coworkers are awesome, too.

Cons

IFH is still finding their way and they've made some unusual hiring choices over the past year. The staff turnover rate is very high. Be wary of the Bronx clinics. If you do interview, speak to an employee currently in the position you are applying for to get the inside scoop.

To be more careful of who you hire for management positions and to do better background checks.

underpaid and overworked

Former Employee - Nurse in Kingston, NY
    Former Employee - Nurse in Kingston, NY

I worked at Institute for Urban Family Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

health plan offered is sliding scale, affordable to those who make smaller paychecks. always a job vacancy.

Cons

low salary. long hours. lack of innovation. new programs initiated without discussion with staff. understaffed. longterm employees without motivation to exceed, can get away with status quo, if you are motivated to do your best, there is little reward.

raise wages to increase, increase staffing.