Institute of Reading Development

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Dave Soloway

Pros
  • If you want to work from home the company does offer positions where you can do that (in 25 reviews)

• I had no independent teaching experience before this job and it not only made me a confident teacher but I learned a lot about reading in general (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The lesson plans are more like scripts (in 6 reviews)

• There are a lot of materials to carry to and from the teaching sites during the first week of each term (in 5 reviews)

1. IRD Reading Teacher

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you love teaching and working with kids, this is a great summer job that will help solidify your classroom management and organizational strategies. The staff is as supportive as they can be, as all communication is done via web conference. Training for this job is extensive and prepares you for the work. I was very stressed during this job since I had just moved to a new city, had little storage space in my apartment, and my car was stolen 4 weeks in. Luckily, IRD got me a rental car for the weekends I had to teach, which saved me a lot of headaches. I think the management really cares about their employees and takes the time to make sure all teachers are handling the work well.

Cons

Be okay with storing tons of books and boxes in your house all summer. The materials are overwhelming. Know that this job lends itself to making mistakes. You have a lot of responsibilities and lots of spinning plates to manage on your own.

Advice to Management

I hope there is a plan to create physical teaching sites where classes can meet and materials can be stored! The amount of boxes in my room and car is kind of ridiculous

2. Great way to get into teaching

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher
    Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing supervisors/management - Excellent way to get your teaching feet wet - Very good support from management and other teachers - Great kids and parents

Cons

- Lots of logistical elements - Have to transport your own materials and travel pretty extensively - All training is online (could be a pro and a con)

Advice to Management

- Mail materials to families instead of having teachers transport all materials when possible. Teachers should have some extras on hand, but should not have to transport all materials.

3. My overall experience with Institute of Reading Development.

Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service in Novato, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

The trainers really work with you to make sure you are trained for the job. Very patient, thorough, and attentive. They really have a training system that teaches their employees fast. If you are skilled at sales, and a fast thinker you will do well. Just pay attention and learn your material.

Cons

I did not find any thing that I did not like about this company it was a great experience. To bad its a short term job.

Advice to Management

I love the management team.

5. Enrollment Coordinator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff. I have a good time each year that I work for IRD. They have a good purpose and really care.

Cons

The work is not year round so you cannot count on full time employment...of course getting laid off each year is no fun!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I have enjoyed working with the supervisors each season and I feel that they really do care about their employees.

6. A Logistical Mess

Former Employee - Summer Reading Teacher
    Former Employee - Summer Reading Teacher

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours for a summer job, the classes and the kids are a lot of fun, and parents are always very grateful for your time. Kids make genuine progress and the book selections are great!

Cons

No one does any checking of the sites and the company largely takes host locations (mainly churches and private/charter schools) at their word when it comes to services provided. I had multiple sites which were infested with bugs or in which the air conditioning was broken (during record Phoenix heats), and while the Institute staff was always sympathetic, the telecommuting style of the company meant that they were largely unable to solve any issues when they arose. The job seems to kind of takeover your life (and your house!) for the summer as there are a lot of expectations regarding weekly meetings, phone calls, etc. in addition to the hours that you teach. The whole thing feels very superficial and micro-managed.

Nice Try

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Novato, CA

Pros

-Working from Home -Inbound Calls. -Helping Families find a Summer Reading Program. -Training is interesting.

Cons

Everything else. These fake reviews saturating the top of the page are not helping. The truth is what everyone else has said. They will let you go at the drop of a hat for things that are out of your control. If you apply for next season, be sure to have a back up job because the one with IRD may last only a week if you get past training.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the honest reviews just as you would expect employees not to dismiss criticism they may receive from you.

8. Enrollment Coordinator

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator
    Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

Very kind trainers/staff Thorough training Great product Set your own hours (from 5am-9pm EST) Work from home Good pay scale

Cons

It's seasonal work. I would work for them year-round if I could. But I was invited back next year.

Advice to Management

I was very happy during my time with IRD. My supervisors were patient and understanding and really helped me learn the way to be successful with their product.

9. Enrollment Coordinator

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Novato, CA

Pros

Working from home; setting own schedule (within parameters); absolutely excellent training; organized company; great product; interesting conversations with concerned parents who want their children to improve their reading; lots of free time to do other things while waiting for the phone to ring; pretty good pay, including a base pay of about $13-15/hour based on prior productivity for those times when the phone doesn't ring; clear expectations; no cold calling. Training is paid at minimum wage. Best benefit: walking down the hall to work in my bathrobe. I absolutely loved this job. It ended today for me as the season ended. I just walked down the hallway to my home office and answered the phone online at my computer. I felt like my intelligence was a useful commodity and that my curiosity served me well. While many might think the job is simply an information service type job (what programs are available, how does it work, what is the cost, etc.), anyone in sales knows that it's getting a person off their inertia to make a decision that is key. If you don't understand that people call with great intentions but if you don't get them to make a decision then, life will get in the way and they will drift off to the next thing that catches their interest, then you won't do well at this job, but at the same time, it isn't a one-shot do-or-die sales place, either. It's just understanding human nature.. It is all about caring and listening. With that, I just loved talking with parents about their kids. Most everyone who called was nice, although there are always occasional rude and suspicious callers. It isn't high pressure sales. We are taught to be very respectful, and I understand that as much as 40% of my sales came from people I talked to who decided to call back later. It twas nice to talk to people with that in mind. The company is very organized and I felt I was working for a well oiled machine. I was told from the start that the job was seasonal. We we extremely well trained but by no means coddled. You are expected to figure some things out for yourself and to catch on pretty quick. The selling season is too short to allow some people the amount of time necessary to get good at this job; if you don't do well, you are let go pretty quickly, and for some people, that's pretty hard to take. However, with my prior experience, the training just clicked for me and I did very, very well. I was very proud of the work and it just wasn't any stress at all to do it. I've had very few jobs I truly enjoyed. This one was outstanding. I loved it. I felt I was truly helping people and selling a program that is really top quality. Part of the training was to watch and sample lessons from preschool through high school, and I was impressed by the program.

Cons

It's a seasonal job. There's little room for a learning curve -- you either figure it out or you take a hike. I also think I was overpromised a little bit regarding pay and how long the job would last (I thought I'd have a couple more weeks for sure), but within the general puffery that most commission-based work promises. I hope my life will allow me the chance to work here again. Where else are you paid just to answer the phone from home, and talk to parents who want their children to be successful? See, now I'm back to writing "Pro" material again.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and keep experimenting so that the programs stay current with the times, technologically, especially as people use the phone less and less as time goes on. Also, come up with a way to talk with Hispanic mothers who don't speak much English, please! Just a couple of bilingual agents they could be transferred to would be useful.

10. Full time at home

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a great training program that allows you to learn everything you need to know in a reasonable amount of time. Work is flexible and the management seems to really care about your questions and concerns.

Cons

Sometimes the amount of product knowledge you need to learn can get tricky. Seasonal work with low call volume towards the end. However they do hire you back next season if they liked your work.

Advice to Management

I think the management is doing a great job I had no issues with them the entire time I worked there.

11. Enrollment Coordinator

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator
    Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator

Pros

Great Training, Work From Home, Inbound Phone Calls, Consultative Sales Position, not aggressive, half the year long. The company is one of the best private education providers in the country with over 150 partners (colleges and municipalities) and they help 80,000 kids a year. The breakthrough stories you hear when parents call back to reenroll are heartwarming, and when you make a sale, you are literally changing the life of a student, parent, school, and community.

Cons

The "I have to talk with my spouse" objection is a very difficult one to overcome.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all the great training and support and helping me to launch my sales career. It was an honor to work for one of the finest private education companies in America. Thanks for giving my family members courses for free. I appreciated doing the adult reading program too, I tripled my reading speed, just like the pitch promises.

RSS Feed </> Embed