Institute of Reading Development

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Dave Soloway

Pros
  • If you want to work from home the company does offer positions where you can do that (in 25 reviews)

• I had no independent teaching experience before this job and it not only made me a confident teacher but I learned a lot about reading in general (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The lesson plans are more like scripts (in 6 reviews)

• There are a lot of materials to carry to and from the teaching sites during the first week of each term (in 5 reviews)

1. My overall experience with Institute of Reading Development.

Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service in Novato, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

The trainers really work with you to make sure you are trained for the job. Very patient, thorough, and attentive. They really have a training system that teaches their employees fast. If you are skilled at sales, and a fast thinker you will do well. Just pay attention and learn your material.

Cons

I did not find any thing that I did not like about this company it was a great experience. To bad its a short term job.

Advice to Management

I love the management team.

2. Enrollment Coordinator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff. I have a good time each year that I work for IRD. They have a good purpose and really care.

Cons

The work is not year round so you cannot count on full time employment...of course getting laid off each year is no fun!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I have enjoyed working with the supervisors each season and I feel that they really do care about their employees.

3. Enrollment Coordinator

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator
    Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

Very kind trainers/staff Thorough training Great product Set your own hours (from 5am-9pm EST) Work from home Good pay scale

Cons

It's seasonal work. I would work for them year-round if I could. But I was invited back next year.

Advice to Management

I was very happy during my time with IRD. My supervisors were patient and understanding and really helped me learn the way to be successful with their product.

5. Enrollment Coordinator

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Novato, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

Working from home; setting own schedule (within parameters); absolutely excellent training; organized company; great product; interesting conversations with concerned parents who want their children to improve their reading; lots of free time to do other things while waiting for the phone to ring; pretty good pay, including a base pay of about $13-15/hour based on prior productivity for those times when the phone doesn't ring; clear expectations; no cold calling. Training is paid at minimum wage. Best benefit: walking down the hall to work in my bathrobe. I absolutely loved this job. It ended today for me as the season ended. I just walked down the hallway to my home office and answered the phone online at my computer. I felt like my intelligence was a useful commodity and that my curiosity served me well. While many might think the job is simply an information service type job (what programs are available, how does it work, what is the cost, etc.), anyone in sales knows that it's getting a person off their inertia to make a decision that is key. If you don't understand that people call with great intentions but if you don't get them to make a decision then, life will get in the way and they will drift off to the next thing that catches their interest, then you won't do well at this job, but at the same time, it isn't a one-shot do-or-die sales place, either. It's just understanding human nature.. It is all about caring and listening. With that, I just loved talking with parents about their kids. Most everyone who called was nice, although there are always occasional rude and suspicious callers. It isn't high pressure sales. We are taught to be very respectful, and I understand that as much as 40% of my sales came from people I talked to who decided to call back later. It twas nice to talk to people with that in mind. The company is very organized and I felt I was working for a well oiled machine. I was told from the start that the job was seasonal. We we extremely well trained but by no means coddled. You are expected to figure some things out for yourself and to catch on pretty quick. The selling season is too short to allow some people the amount of time necessary to get good at this job; if you don't do well, you are let go pretty quickly, and for some people, that's pretty hard to take. However, with my prior experience, the training just clicked for me and I did very, very well. I was very proud of the work and it just wasn't any stress at all to do it. I've had very few jobs I truly enjoyed. This one was outstanding. I loved it. I felt I was truly helping people and selling a program that is really top quality. Part of the training was to watch and sample lessons from preschool through high school, and I was impressed by the program.

Cons

It's a seasonal job. There's little room for a learning curve -- you either figure it out or you take a hike. I also think I was overpromised a little bit regarding pay and how long the job would last (I thought I'd have a couple more weeks for sure), but within the general puffery that most commission-based work promises. I hope my life will allow me the chance to work here again. Where else are you paid just to answer the phone from home, and talk to parents who want their children to be successful? See, now I'm back to writing "Pro" material again.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and keep experimenting so that the programs stay current with the times, technologically, especially as people use the phone less and less as time goes on. Also, come up with a way to talk with Hispanic mothers who don't speak much English, please! Just a couple of bilingual agents they could be transferred to would be useful.

6. Full time at home

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a great training program that allows you to learn everything you need to know in a reasonable amount of time. Work is flexible and the management seems to really care about your questions and concerns.

Cons

Sometimes the amount of product knowledge you need to learn can get tricky. Seasonal work with low call volume towards the end. However they do hire you back next season if they liked your work.

Advice to Management

I think the management is doing a great job I had no issues with them the entire time I worked there.

7. Enrollment Coordinator

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

Great Training, Work From Home, Inbound Phone Calls, Consultative Sales Position, not aggressive, half the year long. The company is one of the best private education providers in the country with over 150 partners (colleges and municipalities) and they help 80,000 kids a year. The breakthrough stories you hear when parents call back to reenroll are heartwarming, and when you make a sale, you are literally changing the life of a student, parent, school, and community.

Cons

The "I have to talk with my spouse" objection is a very difficult one to overcome.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all the great training and support and helping me to launch my sales career. It was an honor to work for one of the finest private education companies in America. Thanks for giving my family members courses for free. I appreciated doing the adult reading program too, I tripled my reading speed, just like the pitch promises.

8. Seasonal Sales job

Former Employee - Enrollment Cooordinator in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Enrollment Cooordinator in Tampa, FL

I worked at Institute of Reading Development (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training and tech support. Great money if you follow the sales training and if you are good in a fast paced environment.

Cons

Its seasonal and ends in a few months

Advice to Management

Please add bilingual salesforce. It will add to your sales and cannot understand why no bilingual option for phones

9. The Best Seasonal Job!

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

Excellent training! This is without question some of the best training I have received. Supervisors are caring and want the best for enrollment counselors. Meetings are scheduled on a regular basis with supervisor and other staff members to problem-solve area of struggle so that everyone can be more productive. Group meetings are an excellent way to way to get new ideas and be more productive. Supervisors are encouraging and helpful and strive to offer the best assistance for bettering our skills, Very positive interactions with all staff here.

Cons

I wish this was a year-round job opportunity!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Advice is positive and helpful. Keep being encouraging!

10. Fun (and Busy) Summer Job

Former Employee - Summer Reading Teacher
    Former Employee - Summer Reading Teacher

I worked at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

The in-depth training prepares you for the teaching job. My supervisor was very kind and helpful. The mileage they provide for your travel is reasonable. The experience of teaching reading at all age levels is very rewarding. The material is interesting and fun to teach.

Cons

You are responsible for bringing all the materials to the sites, which can be exhausting depending on your teaching site. The job is only seasonal for the summer, so it's not a career. I've heard that other teachers had bad experiences with the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire quality teachers that meet your specific needs and philosophies. Provide teachers with sources to help parents outside of the program.

11. If you are good at Sales I would look elsewere first...

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

Very effective training and very nicely organized Supervisors are nice and helpful Flexible schedule/can add hours

Cons

Commission only Bonuses are very unattainable Long Hours Monotonous script Sales Support can be short and unfriendly in assisting at times If you are good at sales, I find that I could have made more money elsewhere. Their commission is very minimal and if you are lucky and can hit all three requirements each week you will get a 1-2% percentage bonus increase BUT FOR THE NEXT WEEK ONLY...Now the one bonus criteria that is the toughest is being able to gather personal information of the caller. Problem with that is many will hang up when given the price, many will call not speaking English and hang up, and often the system will drop your call for you once you answer. Interesting, isn't it? And so without anything in your control there goes any chance at a bonus because your numbers are falling. Call volume per shift can be as high as 35-40 calls, call length can be long at times, and it is truly one of the most boring jobs I have ever had....thank goodness, it is seasonal and layoffs will soon start. Also, management is very open about telling you that their veteran employees (come back each year) will get the better routed calls based on callbacks and demographics. They make no secret about that... Not a bad gig for someone who wants a temp job...just be aware that the pay isn't fantastic and the job is very boring and can be grueling with calls coming one after the other...... It's a tough job for the pay.

RSS Feed </> Embed