Institute on Aging Reviews

2.7
J. Thomas Briody

1. Community Outreach Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

IOA is a dedicated organization growing and expanding to fulfill the needs of as many seniors and elderly as possible. They also care about their employees!

Cons

Nothing negative to share about IOA.

Advice to Management

Get more community outreach.

2. IOA

Pros

The help they provide elders is one of the best.

Cons

The availability of advancement is very low unless you work at the SF location.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff and communicate.

3. Stuck in the Past

I worked at Institute on Aging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many people truly believe in the Mission

Cons

Technology is antique Senior Management out of touch with day to day life Workloads are too heavy and too much paper, old fashioned processes Benefits stink. With that many employees, should have better benefit choices

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the results of the employee survey

5. Pretty building. Great capacity. Bad management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Institute on Aging full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was turned on to IOA because to the tremendous possibilities. They have several departments which seem to offer seniors in the community an array of services and resources. On the surface, it seems like a wonderful organization to work for. Pay is slightly better than many other non-profits.

Cons

Terrible management. Overturn rate high. Lack of compassion for seniors. Big talk without follow through. Misappropriation of funds. Sweep under rug approach.

Advice to Management

Because I think that bad management is a deep rooted issue that goes straight to the top I would advise management to forfeit their positions to someone with the heart and compassion to excecute the agency's mission. There are so few good seeds in the organization, but most of management needs to step down starting with Tom Briody.

Horrible Agency To Work For

Former Employee - HCA in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - HCA in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Nothing about this so called company is remotely appealing, don't waste your time

Cons

The office staff is extremely unprofessional, they are totally clueless as to what caregivers do on a daily basis, their only ideal is fill the position with a body, they are extremely out of touch, extremely rude to the caregivers, they implement rules w/o first letting caregivers know things have changed instead when an occasion our incident arrives that's when you hear about it, extremely unprofessional... I can't stress that enough.... I quit on a Friday, I had a scheduled client on a Tuesday, I happen to know first hand, IOA staff never called the client to let her know I wasn't coming back and to re-staff the shifts, now if that's not unprofessional I don't know what is... Their first duty is to the client, but these idiots are clueless, so the client sat unserviced....!

Advice to Management

Get a friggen clue, stop treating caregivers like trash, come out to the field so you can get an idea what we do on a daily, get to know your clients, stop being so stuck up and higher mgmt kiss behinds, more professional, answer your phone, everyday there couldn't be a meeting, be more proactive

This work place tested my love for my job/career

Former Employee - Social Worker/Care Manager
    Former Employee - Social Worker/Care Manager

I worked at Institute on Aging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, adequate technology, agency provides supervision for LCSW license. Agency is expanding quickly and new programs are always in development. The building is great and workspace is nice. Working with individuals in need is extremely rewarding, and this agency is a good place to come right out of school.

Cons

It used to be the case that peers and colleagues were extremely talented, capable and dedicated people, unfortunately they all quit. Individuals hired to replace them don't meet the previous standards. The workload is unreasonably high and much of the work is extremely redundant. Limited access to employee development and educational opportunities. Beware of steep learning curve.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and participate in helping your employees gain confidence and knowledge. Trust your staff and encourage them while being supportive.

8. Compassionate and caring....so that makes technology an afterthought.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Institute on Aging full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people at all levels, and the mission of the organization is very important. The work space feels very new and is spotlessly clean, and its location on Geary is near the exact middle of San Francisco.

Cons

The organization is in a deep hole technology wise. Yes, it is a service organization, and that its primary mission and the vast majority of it employees are there to help seniors, but its must rely data technology. They will be state of controlled crisis at least thru the end of 2015.

Advice to Management

Hire an experienced and reliable database systems expert to VALIDATE whatever technology plans you have. Have a WRITTEN technology plan that will stand up to critical scrutiny at each critical phase. You just might be able to save the organization a lot of money, and that way help a lot of people.

Bad management ruined a fine professional experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Institute on Aging full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good clinical environment Some wonderful professionals Multiple important programs for seniors

Cons

Employees are seriously devalued: few raises, worsening health benefits, little interest in staff development or career advancement; financial concerns: Corporate Senior Management mindset (and not in a good way). Focused on the bottom line. managerial mean-spiritedness.

Advice to Management

Thinking more like a business does not mean you have to sell your soul to the corporate mentality devil. Staff are stakeholders too, value them.

10. A wonderful group of experts & always-learners, doing amazing work with few resources, helping people live at home.

I have been working at Institute on Aging full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- dynamic organization that is changing with the times - a staff with centuries of combined experience working with and for seniors - a great variety of services across the spectrum

Cons

- poor management and finances in the past have led to a wage freeze for many employees for several years, and put pressure on employees to work very hrd

Advice to Management

I wouldn't try, since I'm not in their position, other than to suggest they show more how much they value employees

11. Not what I thought

Current Employee - Social Worker/Care Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Social Worker/Care Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Institute on Aging full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Room for growth Autonomy, very flexible schedule

Cons

bad supervisor high work load

RSS Feed </> Embed