Institutional Shareholder Services

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gary Retelny

Excellent opportunity to learn about corporate governance and executive compensation policy.

Research Analyst (Former Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsYoung, energetic colleagues from all over the world. Strong, well-organized IT capabilities.

ConsSeasonal work assignment. Limited variety in work activities.

Weak management

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsIt's the 800 lb gorilla for corporate governance.

ConsThe management team hasn't recognized the world has changed and has passed them by.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what the market needs and provide that as a way to grow the business. Price reductions don't grow businesses.

Great place to work, excellent training, and plenty of opportunities to network.

Research Analyst (Current Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsYou get a great opportunity to work in investment advising, with a group of people who are really committed to each person's individual success as well as the success of the team. Even with the occasional weekend hours during busy season, the environment is still positive with everyone working together to create a polished product.

ConsHaving to work late nights and weekends, but that's not too often and is manageable.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Right Hand Doesn't Know What the Left Hand is Doing

ProsThe health benefits aren't terrible.

ConsThey will allow you to be exploited, without being paid accordingly. Senior management forces their cultures and values on the entry-level employees, while practicing none of the values themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach, stop speaking to your entry-level employees as though they're kindergartners, and pay your employees fairly.

Worst Company Ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's hard to think of any pros. This place will suck the life out of you and make any company you work for afterwards seem like a dream. The only good thing I can think of about working here is the vacation you get, because you get to be away from the company.

ConsThe management team is incompetent, demeaning and immature. They don't know how to resolve conflict, and HR doesn't have the slightest clue what to do about it. You will never hear from management unless you do something wrong. There are no rewards for doing a good job. Favorites are selected and promoted. If you're not in the right clique or don't suck up to the right person, you're not moving up. They make you work 80 hours a week for several months out of the year, and it's expected of you, because you're "salaried." They dangle promotions in front of you to make you work harder, but they never actually give them to you. The bonuses are an absolute joke, as is the salary. They hire recent graduates who have no idea what the working world is like, drain them for a few years, and then replace them with new graduates at a lower salary. This is their entire business model. You will learn a lot in the first few months, but the learning curve ends very quickly. Be prepared for cattiness and office politics. The conflicts of interest that are imbedded in this company is beyond ridiculous, with numerous family members and married couples working together or managing each other. I can honestly say the day I left this company was the happiest day of my life. What a miserable experience!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some management courses on how to actually manage. Be a role model for your employees. You can't expect them to behave a certain way if you act like a child. Take some sensitivity training as well. You need to build up your employees, not beat them down until they do what you want.

Great place to learn a lot. Supportive management team.

Vice President Research (Current Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsOpportunity learn continually and make a difference

ConsCompetitiveness of Compensation / work-life balance

Inflexible management

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsThe place has a good work life balance and relaxed staff

Consmanagement is a joke and does not seem to understand what is going on in the company. Most people dislike their boss, and since the take-over there are a lot of problems

Advice to Senior ManagementRetrain management

Beneficial. Not a career.

Data Analyst (Current Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsLearned corporate governance and research skills.

ConsMonotonous. Not much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more engaged with employees

Ok

Voting Analyst (Current Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsWork, balance life is good.

ConsNo clear direction. Current leadership is missing.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell ISS already.

55,000

Program Analyst (Current Employee)
    Silver Spring, MD

ProsEasy schedule, and government customers are great to work with.

ConsNo job growth or direction. We have fair amount of vacation days other than that, our benefits are fairly weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better leadership and growth opportunities for your younger employees.

Worked for Institutional Shareholder Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Institutional Shareholder Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Institutional Shareholder Services CEO Gary Retelny. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Institutional Shareholder Services employees.