Instron

Updated May 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Martindale

Instron is a diverse work place with great people.

ProsThe best reason to work at Instron is the people. They are diverse and caring. The diversity creates an interesting environment. Our parent company, ITW, is very charitable. Full tuition reimbursement is a great benefit.

ConsWe are learning to be more agile in our approach. We tend to over think and take too long to get to market.

Overall, a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsGreat benefits package, somewhat friendly atmosphere, and a good corporate citizen to the surrounding communities.

ConsNew Hourly employees are under paid, Wellness incentives come at a high privacy price. They talk a lot about wellness, and then use less than healthy foodstuffs as a "reward" for meeting production goals that line the pockets of upper management. Safety is stressed, but keep to your "station" or below.

Great people but stagnant engineering innovation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsWork/Life Balance
    Above Average 401(k) Contribution
    Owned by ITW - Stable Financials

ConsBelow Market Salaries
    Only Upper Management Bonuses
    Losing Industry Lead by Relying Heavily on Brand Reputation
    Owned by ITW - No local decision making, low profit reinvestment into R&D

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not allow your marketing and sales organizations to become the primary focus. The ability to develop industry leading products are the only way to maintain the industry lead.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall Progressive company, but their wages could be better

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsLots of good apples and friendly culture at this company, long time employees, lots of outings, team building, and corporate events. Raffles, giveaways, and contest prizes are ongoing especially within sales. Overall the culture is positive and the benefits are very good. They also have a casual dress environment, you can wear jeans to work every day if you wanted to (although the managers secretly pay attention to who does and they make note of it). They also seem to value employee feedback and our perceptions of upper management a lot. They put out surveys, focus groups and have discussions on the company morale and dynamics frequently, and I do believe sincerely they are trying to make improvements (and have). All of the Human Resources employees have always been nothing short of helpful when you need something, and they seem to treat their employees with dignity. Having a sincere HR department goes a long way. This company also values in assisting personal health and fitness goals in addition to being involved with the community, which is more than I can say for a lot of others. They also offer to pay for higher education and that is very generous.
    Instron is perfect for someone who is out of school, just starting out and wants experience and a Masters Degree, or someone who wants to stay employed in the same position for many years.

ConsAlthough they seem to value higher ed, they seem to put people lacking serious educational credentials in key management roles. A lot of managers at Instron have spent their entire professional careers at Instron, so they only have exposure to the Instron way of doing things. Oftentimes their minds have been made years ago on something, and its hard to have them be open to new ideas that have not been introduced to company's framework. Their pay raises are very conservative also to the point where you find you are given more and more job responsibilities every year but not the adequate compensation to go with them. The chances for growth are not really abundant for most employees at this company unless they want to leave and go to another department, or outside the company. At review time, requesting an assessment of where employees will advance to 5 years from then is a very unrealistic expectation unless the employee chooses to leave Instron. I say this because there are many talented employees producing above average work,but not enough advancement opportunities to accommodate everyone. They do create positions for some people, but as for all of the other departments I'd say it is somewhat of a bottleneck. This company is also a giant rumor mill and it seems that adultery and fraternization run rampant but that could be at any company. It neither seems to be encouraged nor unwelcomed at Instron. This company is also big on nepotism, lots of husband wife couples and relatives working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvesting in your employees in terms of better wages couldn't hurt. If you shave money off some large event budgets to provide better salaries, this company would be even better.

Overall, good. However,no chance of career growth.

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsInstron offers many excellent benefits, such as 401K, matching funds, vacation policies, etc. For an engineer, good mix of different technologies to work on. Lots of good people to work with, other than senior management.

ConsManagement at Instron, along with their enterage, is a small closed clique. No-one outside of that group, no matter how much experience they have in their area of expertise, has any voice in decision making, nor has any chance of career growth. If you are good at what you do, you stagnate in that position. If you are mediocre but politically correct, you advance. Frustrating company to work for, because they lack any forward vision. Status quo is the most that they aspire to.

Advice to Senior ManagementITW should replace all middle management with people that are capable of innovation.

Great Company to work for

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, salary is reasonable, flextime, interesting work

Consnone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementI like our management, they are looking to the future and keeping their focus on the customer (and stock prices).

It gets better every year

Marketing (Current Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsThe Company constantly invests in ways to improve the working experience. They aren't at the same level as companies like Google when it comes to things like flexible work hours but we do appear to be moving in that direction. There also has been a major culture transformation for the better and it's amazing to see how quickly it has been adopted. There are a lot of 20+ year employees and that says a lot

ConsFrom my experience, that salaries are relatively low, at least for me the are.

Excellent Place To Work

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsRelaxed environment. So long as you're doing your job, no one is pressuring you. They have a lot of group activities so you end up knowing people from other departments.

ConsThe pay could be better.

It's a job to pay the bills

Senionr Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) Barcelona (Spain)

ProsCompany car, the salary comes every month, friendly staff, friendly customers. Good product. Job full of challenges, big amount of travels

ConsThe management is focused on the profit, almost no inversion on the company, quite a hard job; phisical effort, mental effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo thanks

Great place to start a career

ProsPeople and product make it a joy to work for

ConsLots of people have been here a long time

Worked for Instron? Contribute to the Community!