Instructure Reviews

Great Edtech Startup Opportunity

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthcare for me and my family all paid by the company
    Great leadership team
    Flexible work schedule
    Fun environment
    Growing rapidly, so lots of growth opportunities
    Great product
    Unlimited time off

This is the best company to work for in Utah for sure. I love coming into work everyday and really enjoy everything about my job. We hire strong and smart people that work hard for one common goal.

Cons

with any startup...growth pains

There are always issues with growing very rapidly. Management does a great job of minimizing these pains, but from time to time they do appear.

keep moving in the right direction

Great people, great environment.

Current Employee - User Experience Designer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with smart people. Work in education. Competitive compensation. Free food. Paid healthcare. Opportunity to go public. Work on a meaningful product.

Cons

Instructure is just now figuring out what it means to be a design-thinking company. The company is improving in this area.

Discuss product strategy and direction more openly with product and engineering.

i feel lucky every day

Current Employee - Sales  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

The product is on fire and eating up the market. Great pipeline to address expansion. Best boss I've ever worked for in 13 years, the money and bennies are great, and the atmosphere is open, fun, hilarious, and busy. I am in awe of the talent I'm surrounded by all the time. I have learned a ton from my peers and sales leadership in particular.

Cons

Typical growing pains, things evolve quickly. If you value predictability this may not be your gig.

Really hoping the execs do what they can to preserve our unique culture post-IPO. Don't change a great thing once we get a ticker symbol.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

decent company with good people but sales management is young and inexperienced. good thing the product sells itself.

Current Employee - Product
    Current Employee - Product

I have been working at Instructure full-time for less than a year

Pros

great office space and casual dress environment. lots of free food and good working environment. people are generally nice and hard working. product is great. easy to sell.

Cons

no bonus plan and 401 K matching isn't very good. perception is that promotions are not based on merit or qualifications but who you know and who likes you. this seems to come from the top down so it gets discouraging.

reward performance. have courage to say no to stupid ideas even from executive equals.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Instructure

Pros

The culture is great! Its an eduction company that focus on all levels of education, I learned a ton while working here.

Cons

Some of the upper management is not what I would call high quality. The CEO is openly offensive and sexist. A few of the HR take for ever to get back to you on stuff.

I love my job and believe in the product we offer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture that has remained intact despite the extensive growth we've experienced. The company is open/transparent, both in terms of our product with clients and the company outlook with employees (financial details are shared with the entire company during each quarter's All Hands meeting). Excellent benefits (medical and dental 100% covered).

Cons

The 401k has a really small match (50% on up to $2,000), but I suppose with it being the first year it's been offered, it may improve in the near future. Sometimes there's some communication breakdown between departments.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Instructure part-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent environment, free food and weekly lunches provided. Work atmosphere seems professional.

Cons

Not a lot of cons to working here.

An awesome job I feel good about

Current Employee - L3 Technical Support Representative  in  Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - L3 Technical Support Representative in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

I get to work on canvas - the open source learning management system that is taking over the LMS market. We have some very creative and ingenious people here and we get to work on something awesome every day. I see what I do as beneficial to me, the tech industry and education and I find that very motivating. Instructure is the most agile company i've worked for - able to cope with sudden changes in the tech that runs our product and to do things quickly for our users. If you want a place to work where you will like the implications of what you do and you will like the people you work with - here it is.

Cons

Not every personality meshes, but most conflicts I've seen were kept professional. We have a 401k now, but I feel that we need more education/training investment for employees.

Invest more in the employees that have proven themselves, In my department there is too much unnecessary turnover because we didn't have "room" to advance people. Try to bring folks into the fold quicker so we don't lose them to a higher bidder or a company that has room for the position they desire.

Instructure motivates, empowers, and takes care of employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for less than a year

Pros

I always wrote off as impractical people who wanted to write open source for a living. I'm very lucky to have a chance to do it now, and to work with brilliant people and be compensated well. Instructure constantly works to remove obstacles and improve process; if you want to be productive, it's a great environment.

Cons

At a tenth the size of its main competitor, Instructure has to make a lot of hard decisions about postponing features. Customers like us, but are often disappointed to see their requests go unsatisfied.

Our executives are brilliant and charismatic. If you can appreciate their openness and assume good faith, you'll enjoy working for them.

Awesome experiance

I have been working at Instructure

Pros

Amazing offices, top notch benefits, great culture (more on that in a bit), and super meaningful work. There is no bureaucracy here at all.

The culture is unusual, quirky, interesting, and really awesome. It breeds effort.

Instructure is winning tons of new clients because the software is super easy to use and genuinely makes teaching easier.

Cons

I really don't have any--everyone is trying hard to make a difference.

Worked for Instructure? Contribute to the Community!