Instructure Reviews

i feel lucky every day

Current Employee - Sales  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

The product is on fire and eating up the market. Great pipeline to address expansion. Best boss I've ever worked for in 13 years, the money and bennies are great, and the atmosphere is open, fun, hilarious, and busy. I am in awe of the talent I'm surrounded by all the time. I have learned a ton from my peers and sales leadership in particular.

Cons

Typical growing pains, things evolve quickly. If you value predictability this may not be your gig.

Really hoping the execs do what they can to preserve our unique culture post-IPO. Don't change a great thing once we get a ticker symbol.

decent company with good people but sales management is young and inexperienced. good thing the product sells itself.

Current Employee - Product
    Current Employee - Product

I have been working at Instructure full-time for less than a year

Pros

great office space and casual dress environment. lots of free food and good working environment. people are generally nice and hard working. product is great. easy to sell.

Cons

no bonus plan and 401 K matching isn't very good. perception is that promotions are not based on merit or qualifications but who you know and who likes you. this seems to come from the top down so it gets discouraging.

reward performance. have courage to say no to stupid ideas even from executive equals.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Instructure

Pros

The culture is great! Its an eduction company that focus on all levels of education, I learned a ton while working here.

Cons

Some of the upper management is not what I would call high quality. The CEO is openly offensive and sexist. A few of the HR take for ever to get back to you on stuff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love my job and believe in the product we offer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture that has remained intact despite the extensive growth we've experienced. The company is open/transparent, both in terms of our product with clients and the company outlook with employees (financial details are shared with the entire company during each quarter's All Hands meeting). Excellent benefits (medical and dental 100% covered).

Cons

The 401k has a really small match (50% on up to $2,000), but I suppose with it being the first year it's been offered, it may improve in the near future. Sometimes there's some communication breakdown between departments.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Instructure part-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent environment, free food and weekly lunches provided. Work atmosphere seems professional.

Cons

Not a lot of cons to working here.

An awesome job I feel good about

Current Employee - L3 Technical Support Representative  in  Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - L3 Technical Support Representative in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

I get to work on canvas - the open source learning management system that is taking over the LMS market. We have some very creative and ingenious people here and we get to work on something awesome every day. I see what I do as beneficial to me, the tech industry and education and I find that very motivating. Instructure is the most agile company i've worked for - able to cope with sudden changes in the tech that runs our product and to do things quickly for our users. If you want a place to work where you will like the implications of what you do and you will like the people you work with - here it is.

Cons

Not every personality meshes, but most conflicts I've seen were kept professional. We have a 401k now, but I feel that we need more education/training investment for employees.

Invest more in the employees that have proven themselves, In my department there is too much unnecessary turnover because we didn't have "room" to advance people. Try to bring folks into the fold quicker so we don't lose them to a higher bidder or a company that has room for the position they desire.

Instructure motivates, empowers, and takes care of employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for less than a year

Pros

I always wrote off as impractical people who wanted to write open source for a living. I'm very lucky to have a chance to do it now, and to work with brilliant people and be compensated well. Instructure constantly works to remove obstacles and improve process; if you want to be productive, it's a great environment.

Cons

At a tenth the size of its main competitor, Instructure has to make a lot of hard decisions about postponing features. Customers like us, but are often disappointed to see their requests go unsatisfied.

Our executives are brilliant and charismatic. If you can appreciate their openness and assume good faith, you'll enjoy working for them.

Awesome experiance

I have been working at Instructure

Pros

Amazing offices, top notch benefits, great culture (more on that in a bit), and super meaningful work. There is no bureaucracy here at all.

The culture is unusual, quirky, interesting, and really awesome. It breeds effort.

Instructure is winning tons of new clients because the software is super easy to use and genuinely makes teaching easier.

Cons

I really don't have any--everyone is trying hard to make a difference.

Noticeably Unprofessional in the Right Ways

I worked at Instructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

At Instructure "Noticeably Unprofessional" describes the atmosphere of the company- suit free, nerf gun fights and stuff getting done without extra paperwork. Not a job where you show up in a tie*, check off a list and go home. It's genuinely a fun place to work, with a serious focus on getting stuff done. There's never a sense that you can't approach someone here. Even the VPs will try to make time for you if there's something you need to chat about. The open layout of the office isn't as awesome now that people are on different floors, but the lack of offices(seriously, not even Josh has one) is really nice when you're stuck on a problem because your team mates are right there.

Working here was a great time. Employee events and InstructurCon(shoutout to Sunny for her wonderful work EVERY year!) the weekly lunches, and well stocked kitchens(there are multiple on each floor) in addition to managers that are very focused on team building make working here something you can really enjoy. This company has a ton of benefits, and they do an excellent job monitoring employee feedback to find new ones.

I was brought in at the beginning of the hiring ramp that has this company growing like waves in a tsunami. While there were some bumps in the road, the vast majority of my experience was very positive. If you're someone who has an idea of what excellence leading to success in your position looks like from other jobs, and who naturally hits the ground running this company is one that will give you the flexibility and support you're looking for- with a few notable exceptions.

Taking ownership for growth is strongly encouraged in just about any way possible here- so long as you aren't doing it at the expense of primary responsibilities. Primary responsibilities are often a little fuzzy, especially if the job is new to you. This can make it a little more difficult as a first job, but as a company they're focusing on it. You are also ensured one on one time with your supervisor, so if you start to feel lost make sure you take advantage of that.

Most of the department heads/VPs/titles are for realsies now? are extremely talented people at the tops of their fields with excellent management skills. The marketing team in particular stands out in it's ability to not shed and replace "cogs", but to redesign the "machine" to work best for everyone. From a managing creative/big dreamers perspective they knock it out of the park.

*no, no, seriously don't do that, not even on Mondays. Not even to an interview. Not even to an interview on a Monday.

Cons

Company is growing fast, and your managers will be running as fast as you are, so ownership of your own growth is essential

Ensuring clear lines are expressed in giving negative feedback could probably improve, as could a focus on certain management styles

Would love notes to former employees with stock akin to the companywide meetings, I remember how fast it was changing, and so I'm curious about the plans for today

Senior Management could do a better job getting individualized messages to move down the line...though they do a great job keeping everyone up to date on the company direction.

Some people have been mentioning the IPO focus as a negative and are blaming that on the higherups- this isn't really fair. That focus is generally had by any of the employees that have vested part of their stock(generally anyone there for more than a year). Josh in particular seems to be one of the least focused on his own stock- but he knows what it means for the rest of us. In working and speaking with him directly it feels like the IPO numbers are more about us than anything else to him.

Ok, maybe it's also a little like the CEO version of a gamerscore, but still. A CEOs focus is on directing the company towards its goals- and a major piece of that for Instructure employees is the success of the IPO, because every employee gets stock options.

I loved the positive attitudes, and the transparency the company had during my time. I think that the one thing I would say is that while avoiding stupid things is pretty smart, encouraging the emulation of the smarter things and management techniques in more successful departments could also be a pretty smart thing.

Company growing like a weed. You're encouraged to ride the wave.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

-amazing office space, unlimited vacation, health care premiums paid, flexible arrive/leave
    -very competitive pay, control your own destiny
    -much opportunity for advancement and movement
    -awesome, youthful culture
    -talented management team

Cons

-hiring like crazy, too fast?
    -don't deliver? there's the exit door.
    -certain disconnects at times between departments leading to the occasional dropped ball or unprofessional handoff when working with customers.

Keep promoting from within. Your leaders are here.

Worked for Instructure? Contribute to the Community!