Instructure Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
4.3

Instructure CEO Josh Coates
Josh Coates

The company is very open and fun.

Current Employee - Proposal Writer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Proposal Writer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can wear what I want, come in and leave when I want, and they have a good policy about working from home. The best part is I feel like my boss and management in general wants you to succeed.

Cons

They don't always pay as much as they should.

Amazing place to work. Very employee centric, great people, open environment.

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time

Pros

Free catering once a week, plenty of opportunities for advancement, relaxed atmosphere, great office building, convenient location, competitive pay, incredible benefits

Cons

Too much free food - you gain weight fast if not careful. Fast growth has caused some growing pains with less than optimal processes.

Employee referral program is great, but they promise to contact my referrals and I've had to track down and beg the recruiters to do so after several weeks with both of my referrals.

Great Edtech Startup Opportunity

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Healthcare for me and my family all paid by the company
    Great leadership team
    Flexible work schedule
    Fun environment
    Growing rapidly, so lots of growth opportunities
    Great product
    Unlimited time off

This is the best company to work for in Utah for sure. I love coming into work everyday and really enjoy everything about my job. We hire strong and smart people that work hard for one common goal.

Cons

with any startup...growth pains

There are always issues with growing very rapidly. Management does a great job of minimizing these pains, but from time to time they do appear.

keep moving in the right direction

Great people, great environment.

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with smart people. Work in education. Competitive compensation. Free food. Paid healthcare. Opportunity to go public. Work on a meaningful product.

Cons

Instructure is just now figuring out what it means to be a design-thinking company. The company is improving in this area.

Discuss product strategy and direction more openly with product and engineering.

i feel lucky every day

Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The product is on fire and eating up the market. Great pipeline to address expansion. Best boss I've ever worked for in 13 years, the money and bennies are great, and the atmosphere is open, fun, hilarious, and busy. I am in awe of the talent I'm surrounded by all the time. I have learned a ton from my peers and sales leadership in particular.

Cons

Typical growing pains, things evolve quickly. If you value predictability this may not be your gig.

Really hoping the execs do what they can to preserve our unique culture post-IPO. Don't change a great thing once we get a ticker symbol.

decent company with good people but sales management is young and inexperienced. good thing the product sells itself.

Current Employee - Product
    Current Employee - Product

I have been working at Instructure full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great office space and casual dress environment. lots of free food and good working environment. people are generally nice and hard working. product is great. easy to sell.

Cons

no bonus plan and 401 K matching isn't very good. perception is that promotions are not based on merit or qualifications but who you know and who likes you. this seems to come from the top down so it gets discouraging.

reward performance. have courage to say no to stupid ideas even from executive equals.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Instructure

Pros

The culture is great! Its an eduction company that focus on all levels of education, I learned a ton while working here.

Cons

Some of the upper management is not what I would call high quality. The CEO is openly offensive and sexist. A few of the HR take for ever to get back to you on stuff.

I love my job and believe in the product we offer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture that has remained intact despite the extensive growth we've experienced. The company is open/transparent, both in terms of our product with clients and the company outlook with employees (financial details are shared with the entire company during each quarter's All Hands meeting). Excellent benefits (medical and dental 100% covered).

Cons

The 401k has a really small match (50% on up to $2,000), but I suppose with it being the first year it's been offered, it may improve in the near future. Sometimes there's some communication breakdown between departments.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Instructure part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent environment, free food and weekly lunches provided. Work atmosphere seems professional.

Cons

Not a lot of cons to working here.

An awesome job I feel good about

Current Employee - L3 Technical Support Representative in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I get to work on canvas - the open source learning management system that is taking over the LMS market. We have some very creative and ingenious people here and we get to work on something awesome every day. I see what I do as beneficial to me, the tech industry and education and I find that very motivating. Instructure is the most agile company i've worked for - able to cope with sudden changes in the tech that runs our product and to do things quickly for our users. If you want a place to work where you will like the implications of what you do and you will like the people you work with - here it is.

Cons

Not every personality meshes, but most conflicts I've seen were kept professional. We have a 401k now, but I feel that we need more education/training investment for employees.

Invest more in the employees that have proven themselves, In my department there is too much unnecessary turnover because we didn't have "room" to advance people. Try to bring folks into the fold quicker so we don't lose them to a higher bidder or a company that has room for the position they desire.