Insurance Services Office Reviews

Updated August 2, 2014
Updated August 2, 2014

Insurance Services Office President and CEO Scott G. Stephenson
Scott G. Stephenson

Pros
  • Relatively okay place to work if you're looking for work-life balance; but not much else (in 7 reviews)

• I believe the benefits package is in general at least average (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No outside perspective from senior management - for the reason mentioned above (in 8 reviews)

• Work from home is only a policy depending on who you are (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Insurance Services Office full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Supportive of education; responsible management practices; dedicated staff; lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

vacation time could be better.

BE VERY CAREFUL BEFORE YOU SIGN ON AS A WORKER FROM HOME HERE !!!!! YOU MAY VERY WELL REGRET IT.

I worked at Insurance Services Office

Pros

You don't have to see and listen to the people up the line on a daily basis. That's all.

Cons

Never ending increasing workloads, demands and hassles from supervisors, middle and upper level management. Most managers have few interpersonal skills, will rarely offer positive feedback. By the time you add up all the hours you put in here, your hourly rate will make delivering pizzas seem like a dream job.

Try being genuinely concerned and appreciative of your employees, not just view them simply as a dollar number of revenue they produce.

Getting worse quickly

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Insurance Services Office full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

ISO/Verisk could be an exciting, dynamic place to work if employees weren't paid peanuts and put in silos. In the right hands, this business has lots of potential for continued profitability and opportunities to learn, if employee retention and development were taken seriously.

Cons

ISO was rarely an exciting place to work and never allowed the rank-and-file employees to monetarily enjoy its successes, but it was always stable and the environment was collegial.

Now, there's little that is redeeming about the place. Rumors fly about staff reductions and ISO being sold. High turnover. Low-level supervisors under constant stress. It's only a matter of time before they get rid of the decent health plan. New upper management is making us feel like we've done nothing right the last few years and the staff is now being burdened to do a whole lot more with less, and we never get any recognition (in terms of compensation or otherwise). There's no incentive to continue jogging on their hamster wheel when you're underpaid to start with and you get a 2% merit raise and a 2% promotion raise.

Senior management talks a good game, but the employees are so obviously an inconvenience. Management style and big-picture goals seem to vary month to month. They don't know or care about the revolving door at the staff level or the middle ranks wising up and jumping ship.

In attempting to grow the business and keep it relevant, solicit and rely on the opinions and expertise of the people who have been here for a while and have helped get us this far. Change for change's sake is not always good. Set realistic goals. Take better care of the employees who have made this business so great. All it takes is an honest compensation analysis and an honest look at all the benefits taken away that were not replaced with anything as much as telecommuting. Survey the staff and see what the morale is. This is an intellectual business. Start caring about the sustaining the brain power within that makes it run.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to learn in a high integrity and good work-life balance culture, but with sub-par pay.

I have been working at Insurance Services Office

Pros

There is good work life balance
    Good co workers
    Integrity in the work we do
    Above average benefits
    Strong performing company

Cons

Lower than average pay
    Might become too pigeon-holed
    Work might get stale
    My department did not do cutting edge work

Training varies widely depending on who your supervisor you get. Company should invest in improving skills across departments

Used to be a good company

Current Employee - Technologist  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Technologist in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Insurance Services Office full-time

Pros

The front line workers are very nice people

Cons

Clueless IT management.
    Won't invest in technology.
    High employee turnover
    Us against them attitude
    Management has complete lack us trust in its frontline workers
    Run weekly reports to make sure that people are behind the turnstiles 8 days per day. If not them you get 'spoken too' Never mind the fact that you worked 12 hours over the weekend.
    Work from home is only a policy depending on who you are.
    Bad raises

Get a new senior IT management team

good work life balance

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Insurance Services Office full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good company to start with

Cons

not enough room to grow professionally

Long term employee, great place to have a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Insurance Services Office full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Spent my whole life out of college with ISO and grew from entry level to management. There is growth potential in Business and IT organizations. Will get training but with less workers it's harder to schedule then it used to. Competitive salary and benefit package is great.

Cons

In IT the organization has gone through some changes recently and a lot of turnover. People are leaving even without having jobs and a lot of people are retiring as well. "Fed up" is the term you hear and not sure if the executives understand if the changes are actually hurting the organization, losing good, dedicated, employees.

I would suggest a review of what's going on in IT and maybe interview current and former employees to try and get an understanding if the changes are good for the company.

OKAY company

I worked at Insurance Services Office

Pros

It was a decent experience, mainly because of the people I worked around. Other than that, the company itself was just OKAY

Cons

Growth opportunities are very limited unless you have a very specific background in insurance; in my opinion.

ISO

I have been working at Insurance Services Office

Pros

Great growth potential for hard workers. Willing to invest in the employees.

Cons

No known cons with this company.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Software Consultant  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Software Consultant in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Insurance Services Office full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Conservative, therefore, did not just survive in recession but flourished.
    Meritocracy is mostly prevalent
    Job satisfaction

Cons

Some departments have career growth plans but others do not have many growth opportunities.
    Working remotely is usually not allowed, sometimes it is allowed on case-by-case basis and also depending upon your rapport with your manager.

Keep up the good work. You are headed in the right direction.

Worked for Insurance Services Office? Contribute to the Community!