Insurity Reviews

Reset
4.1
Insurity CEO Jeffrey Glazer
Jeffrey Glazer

1. There has to be a catch...

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interview process was very easy - not the types of questions asked, but the actual process from submitting a resume/application to negotiating details after the offer. HR was very responsive from day one. The overall benefit package is very good, including salary, time off, flexibility to work from home when needed (for my department anyway), health insurance and other perks. The work is engaging and forces me to learn and grow rather than just relying on knowledge and skills already present before coming on board. If you're the type of person who wants to constantly learn - new skills and new ways of doing things - this is a great place. As others have commented, the pace can be break-neck at times, but there is certainly balance between the peaks and valleys which I think allows for a good work/life balance. There are also ample learning opportunities - formal trainings, online classes and company-sponsored events. Good place for grey matter to grow. My co-workers, the managers and even the VPs and C-level executives are all unusually friendly and willing to answer questions, offer advice or whatever they can do to help. Beyond being friendly, I've found that people here are pretty motivated and they're good at what they do. I'd also say that the company is big enough to offer some of the benefits typically associated with large companies, but small enough to really maintain a family-like culture. (just a note, as of this writing, Glassdoor says the company is under 149 employees... I think we're close to or more than triple that now). The company culture really amazes me. I'd really not drone on about all the "little things" beceause I'll start to sound like a paid spokesman. Sufficed to say, we get emails about new employee perks, sponsored charity events etc. on a regular basis. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Cons

401(k) company match is a little weak, but there are so many other great benefits (salary being one of them), that I can overlook the average 401(k) contribution. Location - The Hartford area is a little small if you're expecting the "big city" feel, but it is reasonably close to Boston and NYC. This is my first time working for a software company, so I don't know if this is the norm, but I've found it very frustrating that priorities shift so rapidly. I would much prefer to work on a project from start to finish, but that seems to be a pipe dream.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep lines of communication open and use them. Nobody has time for more meetings, but the occasional state-of-affairs is appreciated.

2. So far so good, after 9 months still enjoy coming to work.

I have been working at Insurity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing fast and has many opportunities for growth; there are a lot of new faces in the 9 months that I have worked here. Compensation is competitive and the benefits are good. This is my first full time job in 20 years having been self-employed previously and I enjoy the flexible hours and paid time off. Also in bad weather most people are allowed to tele-commute. The interview process can be long and drawn out, but I think I found the right position in the company. The building is located in the old Colt building in Hartford (The one with the onion dome), it is well lit with high glass ceilings, while my previous contract had me in a dark warehouse so this was a vast improvement. Secure and free parking in Hartford is also a nice perk. The project I am currently working on has allowed me to learn the various products at a good pace, the new products also use fairly advanced technologies so there is a lot to keep you busy. Overall I enjoy coming into the office and working with my team mates, it’s a very diverse group with some very talented people.

Cons

My biggest complaint is the commute into Hartford which has nothing to do with the company, but should be a consideration. While the building is nice it is in an area that is slowly being built up so while there are a few lunch places and a great food truck, you have to drive if you want something different. In a few years I see this problem going away hopefully. The company has had some previous struggles which are well documented here on Glassdoor, personally I am not seeing any of this, but it almost made me pass up the interview. I even brought this up during the interview and was very frank with everyone I interviewed with. The interview process can be a bit long and tedious as you interview with various groups, projects tend to be siloed so it may take multiple interviews to find the correct fit.

Advice to Management

Keep going in the current direction.

3. Great Place to work!! Small in size, but BIG at Heart!!

I have been working at Insurity

Pros

Insurity is a very relaxed environment. Everyone is very passionate about the work they do! A small company, with a community feel. They care about all employees. The company takes care of their employees by going above and beyond. The community service is a big deal for me, and there is always opportunities to give back. HR is always willing to help, and no question is too big or too small to get the help you need.

Cons

NO company is perfect!

5. Lead software developer

I have been working at Insurity

Pros

Diverse, opportunity to work with talented and amazing people.

Cons

I enjoy working for Insurity.

6. A relaxed, yet hard-working environment.

I have been working at Insurity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are the best reason to work here. The HR/Recruiting staff is personable and they keep a constant level of communication with all of their recruits. I work in a collaborative development environment. We encourage communication, questioning, and openness of ideas throughout the team. There's a lot of knowledge about the existing system in the upper management and architectural roles. People seem to understand their technology stack.

Cons

Development department is large (not a bad thing), but just about everyone reports to one person. Slightly tough to build rapport with your direct report. But if you're active about that, this con goes away quickly.

Advice to Management

There are some younger minds with a lot of talent regarding .NET best practices, test driven development, regression testing, and S.M.A.R.T coding principles. Pay attention to these engineers. They have a lot to offer in regard to readable, manageable, scalable, and tesetable code.

7. Business Analyst

I have been working at Insurity full-time

Pros

It's a fast paced work environment which almost never slows down - boredom should never be an issue. The employee benefits package is fair from a cost perspective.

Cons

The company has been sold several times and is now owned by private equity companies. The company no longer supports the idea of cost of living pay increases or across the board raises. Based on the results of the last several years, management is NOT willing to share company profits with employees.

Advice to Management

Management is willing to say thank you to it's employees and makes statements that we appreciate you. However, those statements are meaningless if you aren't going to give pay increases for 2 to 4 years at a time when the company has record profits.

8. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small enough to have a voice and make a difference. Big enough to fund special projects and provide great opportunities. Not a place where you'll watch the clock. It's fast paced and passes the time with ease. If you're the type of person that likes to learn and be challenged, this is the place for you. Very flexible schedules.

Cons

Can be fast paced and demanding at times, which is not for everyone, but very typical of vendor environments.

9. Insurity was an excellent organization, and more importantly the division I worked for had a great team environment.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Insurity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great starting salary, good benefits, great company communication when it came to mass updates on the organization as a whole.

Cons

Being a part of a larger corporation, LexisNexis, there was not much of a team feeling outside of our immediate office. If you are looking for a close knit team or a "family" feel, you can't get that from here. Not for everyone, but for me I wanted that close knit feeling.

Advice to Management

More team building exercises, or perhaps more inter-department bonding would have been appreciated. There were some divisions or departments that I had no knowledge of, and perhaps I didn't need to. However, it would be nice to know more about the people you work with, even if it's indirectly.

10. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Insurity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I finally found my work, life, balance with a great company! Parking, location, benefits, PTO and salary are the pros at Insurity. I have been here a few years and have found this company to really care for their employees. Just for the record, there really is no such thing as 9-5 jobs anymore. If that is what you are looking for then good luck. There is something new to learn everyday and the company is growing considerably. It is exciting to see the growth. Senior executives are very approachable and hard working.

Cons

There are a couple times that I did not have the tools that I needed to get a project done. Thankfully I communicated that and had what I needed in a day.

Advice to Management

n/a

11. Life at Insurity

Current Employee - Senior SE in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior SE in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We make an impact on customer outcomes every day. Very easy to feel cause and effect of your contributions. Very flexible work environment. Very smart people. Mostly great customers with reasonable expectations. Company has maturead and grown every year I've been there. There is turnover; a majority that leave aren't ready for a culture of accountability. Strong investment in products as well as continual improvements in service discipline.

Cons

New requests, large and small, from customers, come in every day. Sometimes it's a lot.

Advice to Management

Spend more time raising awareness of big picture customer expectations - it is easy to get lost in the day-to-day demands and lose appreciation for the impact we make every day.

RSS Feed </> Embed