Insurity

Updated October 28, 2014
3.7

Insurity CEO Jeffrey Glazer
Jeffrey Glazer

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Insurity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Small enough to have a voice and make a difference.
    Big enough to fund special projects and provide great opportunities.
    Not a place where you'll watch the clock. It's fast paced and passes the time with ease.
    If you're the type of person that likes to learn and be challenged, this is the place for you.
    Very flexible schedules.

Cons

Can be fast paced and demanding at times, which is not for everyone, but very typical of vendor environments.

Insurity was an excellent organization, and more importantly the division I worked for had a great team environment.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Insurity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starting salary, good benefits, great company communication when it came to mass updates on the organization as a whole.

Cons

Being a part of a larger corporation, LexisNexis, there was not much of a team feeling outside of our immediate office. If you are looking for a close knit team or a "family" feel, you can't get that from here. Not for everyone, but for me I wanted that close knit feeling.

More team building exercises, or perhaps more inter-department bonding would have been appreciated. There were some divisions or departments that I had no knowledge of, and perhaps I didn't need to. However, it would be nice to know more about the people you work with, even if it's indirectly.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Insurity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I finally found my work, life, balance with a great company! Parking, location, benefits, PTO and salary are the pros at Insurity. I have been here a few years and have found this company to really care for their employees. Just for the record, there really is no such thing as 9-5 jobs anymore. If that is what you are looking for then good luck. There is something new to learn everyday and the company is growing considerably. It is exciting to see the growth. Senior executives are very approachable and hard working.

Cons

There are a couple times that I did not have the tools that I needed to get a project done. Thankfully I communicated that and had what I needed in a day.

n/a

Life at Insurity

Current Employee - Senior SE in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior SE in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

We make an impact on customer outcomes every day. Very easy to feel cause and effect of your contributions. Very flexible work environment. Very smart people. Mostly great customers with reasonable expectations. Company has maturead and grown every year I've been there. There is turnover; a majority that leave aren't ready for a culture of accountability. Strong investment in products as well as continual improvements in service discipline.

Cons

New requests, large and small, from customers, come in every day. Sometimes it's a lot.

Spend more time raising awareness of big picture customer expectations - it is easy to get lost in the day-to-day demands and lose appreciation for the impact we make every day.

Great place to work, however not all employees are not valued.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual environment with a lot of very knowledgeable people. Most people are very friendly and always willing to help where they can.

Cons

This company only values their executives and sales department. Anyone outside these departments seem to not be valued. Recently the company had a town hall where they told us about all the great work they are doing. They are even expecting much higher than expected revenue this year. At that same meeting someone asked if raises were going to be unfrozen and the answer - NO. Insurity believes in a "pay for performance" bonus system. That's right - no annual raises, not even cost of living. The problem with pay for performance is that it's a very loose definition - even those who should be given bonuses for their performance are not.

Start valuing your employees or they will start wising up and leaving you at more record numbers.

The company's goals are lost in the hectic environment

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free parking in Hartford, friendly low-key atmosphere, no micro-managing, work at your own pace, remote working opportunities, will pay spot bonuses for extra work, good holiday/PTO benefits

Cons

Doesn't value education/experience, pay is 10-15% lower than average in the Hartford area, horribly low bonus scale (1.5% last year), no cost of living raise after 1 year, frequently expected to work after hours or weekends, need to do extra work outside of your area to get noticed

Make promotion/advancement goals more clear, poor definition of job descriptions and responsibilities

Good people, Uncaring Senior Leadership

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Insurity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people in the trenches are all really good to work with. Lots of people that know quite a lot about the business. You can get experience with quite a lot of different things, being technical or business.

Cons

Senior leadership only cares about making sales. Just want to push something out the door no matter what it is or how buggy it is so you can move on to the next thing. Lots of pressure to work until you are burned out. Everyone has to take a lot of shortcuts to achieve deadlines and this results in very fragile systems

Take some time and slow down. Put more effort into producing quality rather than just talking about quality. Look at more long term revenue, even if it is less in the short term, long term revenu just equates to better company stability.

Great place if you want to make an impact

I have been working at Insurity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-- Ability to really impact the business
    -- Perfect sized organzation. Big enough to be a 'real company'. Small enough to matter
    -- Growing business with great opportunities to learn new things and grow
    -- Company doesn't get bogged down in bureaucracy
    -- Challenges employees to continue to improve
    -- Those that contribute to success have ability to make significant bonuses

Cons

-- Not the right organization for everyone. Not a 9-5 organization
    -- Workload fluctuations can be a challenge. This is to be expected with a vendor

Listen to your employees. Keep pushing the culture of the company. It takes time but is the right thing to do.

Opportunity for the very very hardworking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity (more than an year)

Pros

Driven company, compensation can be good but you will earn every penny,

Cons

Poor work/life balance, stressful, performance management consists of identifying those that make errors and firing them.

Your reputation as a sweatshop keeps you from becoming a premiere employer that the very best want to work at.

Experienced Insurance Professional

I have been working at Insurity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great CEO! Jeffrey Glazer is one of the most creative, credible and balanced leaders I've ever worked with over my career. His willingness to lead with complete transparency is admirable. Organizationally I'm somewhat surprised anyone would complain about compensation. I've seen the scales and Insurity is competitive and above average in almost every field and function. Learning from previous mistakes was a key turning point at Insurity and the fact that customers, analysts and employees are still divided on this point is to be expected. The organization isn't where it needs to be but it's well on it's way and if you need any proof look no further than the customers.

Cons

Workload varies and presents challenges from time to time however organizationally it balances out over time.

Continue to invest in products as you have over the past 24 months and protect the culture you've developed since leaving LexisNexis. It's the current culture that will take this organization to new heights!

Insurity Photos