Insyte Reviews

Reset
Rory Fisher
1 Rating

1. No career progression here

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Insyte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some projects can be very interesting (but tend to be few and far between). Depending on what site you're based at you might find that you are merely resource to do any old task that has nothing to do with your skills. Pay is good. Work-life balance is excellent as the business is very flexible around working hours. It's unusual to see people working lots of overtime these days (but then maybe that's because we've all been burned in the past). The atmosphere in the office is pretty relaxed

Cons

Little in the way of professional development - well, none actually. There are few training courses and little upward mobility. It's a highly political environment and those who play the game best seem to do well. Communication is all top-down. Senior management seem aloof and disinterested in the opinions of engineers. Very much a "them" and "us" tension between the executive population and the rest of us.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to engineers who still have some passion left in them for the work we do. Take that on board and use it to set our technical strategy that would take our company and our products in fresh directions.

2. Getting Worse as Integration with Naval Ships continues

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Frimley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Frimley, England (UK)

I have been working at Insyte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a huge range of projects to get involved in. Some can be very interesting.

Cons

As integration with Naval Ships continues and HR take over employees are treated less and less like adults.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees more like adults.

Trust no one

Current Employee - Security Controller
    Current Employee - Security Controller

I have been working at Insyte

Pros

Good pay for sending out emails and reprimands.
    Pension - security for the long-term future.
    Benefits - numerous including machines producing good coffee.
    Access to personal files of all employees.

Cons

Difficult balance between making people's life more difficult, and improving corporate security and satisfying requirements of clients.
    Sarcastic remarks to global emails.

Advice to Management

Recognise that contracts are subject to security controls, and give more power to security controllers to enforce controls.
    Satisfactory security audits are essential to the smooth running of the company.
    Minor cases of disregard for security procedures are sometimes ignored/justified for business reasons. This should not be the case for the defence company.

5. Insyte - the potential to be great

Current Employee - Strategy Manager
    Current Employee - Strategy Manager

I have been working at Insyte

Pros

Insyte has the potential to be one of the most exciting business units within BAE to work for - however the reality is sometimes different. The range of systems and technologies are extensive - the business is not tied to servicing one particular defence service but covers Naval, Land, Air and Joint. The cross-domain and platform agnostic view gives a much broader view of the defence business than any other UK-based business unit (don't know enough about the US side to compare).

Cons

Work balance across sites needs closer examination - the site wars have died down but are not forgotton, and some sites are still licking their wounds. The actual spend on technology and capability development is not enough to bring sufficient innovative and cutting edge work to the business. The potential is there but seems forever tantalisingly out of reach.

Advice to Management

Spend more on Research, which means giving the resources sufficient priority. Sort out the resource profiling across sites. Be more adventurous.

RSS Feed </> Embed