Intact Insurance

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jean-François Blais

Lots of opportunities to move ahead in the company.

Commercial Lines Assistant (Current Employee)
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Intact Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBusiness courses paid for if you pass. Flex days available, however each manager has different rules, ex. no Mondays,Fridays, etc.

ConsOffice gossip - loud cubicle behaviour not always addressed. Very Noisy environment often which can be exceeding annoying when one is trying to work or speak on the phone.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust service standards when implementing new computer systems.

claims adjuster

Claims Representative (Former Employee)
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Intact Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood team environment. with more then two decades at the company this was like a family. Benefits were not bad.

ConsWhen management is notified and aware that there is a problem with a team leader instead of taking measures to discipline they brush it under the rug and therefore that manager can continue to bully his employee to see if the person quits or he will find a way to fire them regardless of the countless witnesses to this behavior. and who cares if you ae out of a job because mangers do what they want.

Advice to Senior ManagementCharles, you really have no idea how your employees are treated. What management tells you is not what is happening.

Adjuster

Adjuster (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Intact Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsGood office environment; helpful colleagues; mediocre benefits

ConsLow salary, micromanagement; low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation needs to reflect the stressful work volume. Stop the constant micromanaging; it shows lack of faith/trust in your employees.

Not Bad Not Good

Covert (Current Employee)

I have been working at Intact Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood benefits just need bus passes paid and parking passes : ) Lots of employee activities the company as a whole cares about there employees as well as there customers and helps out a lot in the community volunteers and raises money.upper management seems like great people lower management needs a lot of work to eliminate discrimination and favortism in the work place

ConsFavoritism by manager hiring of friends in the same department who get special treatment discrimination is also a problem

Advice to Senior ManagementHR allow a third party to investigate the workplace as employees do not want to speak up and risk losing there job or promotions this is regard to the favoritism and discrimination issues that have been ongoing for several years, Managers should treat everyone equal regardless of beliefs and sexual orientation and not have double standards.

More concerned with being the "biggest" than treating their employees well

I have been working at Intact Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsI work there because I have bills to pay. As soon as something better comes my way, I will leave.

ConsPay is low, morale is low, management is bad... They tell you what you want to hear but most of it is untrue. I am shocked on a daily basis by some of the things that go on there .

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest when you are hiring people. It is an adult workforce - give them the courtesy of the truth and allow them to make a decision based on the facts, not just management trying to fill a spot.

Good experience

Summer Student (Current Employee)
Ajax, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Intact Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood people, fun corporate events, good location

ConsBoring work and repetitive tasks

ING was great, Intact was terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Intact Insurance

ProsCompensation was good, courses were paid if you passed, Employee Share Purchase Plan worked well.

ConsDept. Managers often hired old friends and neighbours regardless of qualifications. Managers made racist or sexist comments to staff, jokingly of course.

Industry Leader, values engaged employees

I have been working at Intact Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork is challenging, have to be open to change. Opportunities to grow and develop are posted internally. Corporate social responsibility is big - volunteer days, matching donations.

ConsDowntown Location, while connected to a subway station, is still downtown (Queens Park.) You are personally assessed, and if you do not like the idea of being accountable to improve yourself, not a workplace for you.

Run away while you can (adjusters only)!

Accident Benefits Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Intact Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Good benefits (EHC),
-Employee Share Purchase Program is pretty good, lots of other employee perks as great: phone plans, new PC purchase program, fitness subsidy, employee education, etc.
-Really nice people, if you are lucky, you can make friends for a lifetime.

Cons-Crappy pay, each year they come up with more and more excuses not to give you more pay, and give bogus reasons for why your performance is not rated as better than just good.
-Don't care about satisfaction at work, a survey came out with satisfaction levels being crazy low and instead of making things better it is just getting worse and worse.
-Forever changing workflows and procedures, eternal meetings that take you away from your desk that are mind-numbingly useless, increasing workload and 0 interest from managers in making things better.
-Full of broken promises of advancement that never comes, and each time you are "the perfect candidate" or "next in line", just to be overlooked when the time comes, over and over again.
-Promotions based of favoritism and barely ever on credentials, resume and performance.
-Incompetent managers for the most part that lack industry experience but tell you how to do things without understanding the job.
-No work-life balance, despite assurances to the contrary.
-Extremely negative and competitive work environment, you get a sense that, other than select few, you cannot trust anybody.
-If you want to advance you cannot be a strong personality, pretty much be a door mat that allows others to walk all over you, who never talks back and smiles while work becomes more unmanageable but expectations keep increasing. Pretty much you keep getting more claims with each month but they expect you to do better than the previous month.
-No care about the customers, all they care about is numbers and closing claims, no recognition for a job well done or satisfied customers as no one cares about that.

Advice to Senior Management-Increase pay especially for high performing individuals as those will be the first to leave once the industry opens up.
-Hire qualify upper management that deserves respect of their employees and that actually cares about their job.

Heavy Workload & Frequent Procedural Changes

Accident Benefits Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)

I have been working at Intact Insurance full-time

Pros- good support from direct manager and senior employees
- good benefits
- positive changes forecasted

Cons- workload is unrealistic within the expected timelines
- upper management invokes departmental changes so frequently it's difficult to keep processes in perspective
- employees that leave the department / company aren't replaced, increasing the workload
- career opportunities are focused primarily in Toronto and the GTA
- overtime is expected
- slackers keep their jobs despite complaints throughout the department

Advice to Senior Management- don't invoke so many changes all at once; spread it out
- replace employees that leave the department / company
- tougher stance on employees that don't pull their own weight

Worked for Intact Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Intact Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Intact Insurance CEO Jean-Fran├žois Blais. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Intact Insurance employees.