Integra LifeSciences

Updated January 29, 2015
2.5

Integra LifeSciences President, CEO & Director Peter J. Arduini
Peter J. Arduini

Pros
  • Dress code is casual and it seems that the employees enjoy a good work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Fresh variety of bagels on Fridays (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Still offering raises below cost of living on average most people get 1 (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management was working on it but not there yet (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

You won't find America's best work here

Current Employee - Leader
    Current Employee - Leader

I have been working at Integra LifeSciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Making scrap is never a problem here just blame someone else our leaders don't know any better anyways you can take 500 smoke breaks a day surf the net play cards on your computer show up everyday and they will pay you.

Cons

Seriously our leader don't have a clue how to grow because you are a top rated company we buy other companies and can't fix their problem can we don't attract highly skilled people and if one does come along they don't last cause we have so many screw-ups protecting their jobs the good ones that care and that could help us grow either leave or are chased off.
    There is absolutely no team work here departments backstab each other.
    I'm told decisions in our quality department are based on skin color you wouldn't want to complain about someone with skin darker than you and skin color plays a part in pay and promotions

Close the Cincinnati plant and start fresh someplace else you will never get America's best to come here to many bad people

Worst Place Ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro, NJ

I worked at Integra LifeSciences

Pros

I am sitting here staring at this empty "Pros" Box thinking of twenty words to include so that I meet the minimum, and I can't even think if 20 words worth of "Pros" about Integra. It really is that bad.

Cons

Everything. The culture here is absolutely terrible. The mentality throughout the organization is tell management what they want to hear and say you will do something, leave the meeting, never do it, when someone asks again, repeat the whole process . No one is ever held accountable. Pay is terrible. Benefits are marginal at best. Facilities are a total dump. Working here will age you. You will leave every day frustrated at the utter incompetence, and the best part is, is that the incompetence is what gets rewarded. I suspect that in the next 3 years that this company will be purchased by one of its larger, better run competitors. Then the new owner will clean house and replace pretty much everyone with real management. If you are considering working here. Don't. Run. Run fast. If you do end up taking a position here, just know there is a good chance that you will be let go in short order. Integra is constantly letting people go - good people (there are a few), in an effort to improve their numbers. You know a company is in trouble when they have to start cutting expenses and headcount to improve their numbers. It means the preferable way to improve numbers such as growing revenue is simply not happening. Run. Run. Run.

Their is a pervasive rot throughout the organization - it is like a house that is infested with termites. The only way to rid this place of the infestation is to completely remove it.

Integra Life-or-Death Sciences

Former Employee - Manager in East York, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in East York, PA

I worked at Integra LifeSciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to delve into other area's of my profession, learning new skills, business techniques and supplier evaluation - building on relationships and developing those that align well with the business model you're actively working under. Employees in general play well in the company sandbox.

Cons

Management did / does not embrace it's human capital, they mislead for their own benefit and this created a lot of disenchantment and created a sense of disregard with the employees. This all in turn created a sense of "who cares because management doesn't", an internal disease that can debilatate a company, spreads quickly and affects everyone - eventually reaching the customer level.

Really get a pulse on the company - you should take a recommendation from the TV show "Undercover Boss" and "really" find out what is going on. So much potential but your losing good people and wasting valuable time in growing the business into what it could be.

A good learning experience

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Integra LifeSciences as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

There are some truly great people here and everyone is more than willing to help with any questions you might have. The division was extremely flexible and I was able to gain experience in many facets of the medical device industry.

Cons

The site is shutting down manufacturing operations so many people are now temporary employees. The shut down led to a huge loss of internal knowledge with many engineers leaving.

Culture of Disrespect

Former Employee - Manager in Plainsboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Plainsboro, NJ

I worked at Integra LifeSciences

Pros

Bagel Fridays, Ice Cream in the summers. Hopeful words spoken.

Cons

Although there are surveys and new initiatives that all sound good, underneath it all there is a major distrust between employees and management. It is almost like there are 2 companies, one for the "haves" and one for the "have nots". No matter how often people are told that things are getting better, when the reality of their days does not show this, people give up. Those who can are leaving or looking, but many employees have just given up.

Real change is needed to truly become a billion dollar company. If this is the real goal, as stated, employees will not buy in to it until the leaders show that they really care about the people, not just about themselves. If you want more from employees, give something. Instead of one $250,000 sign-on bonus, give 250 employees a $1000 bonus. Make employees feel like they are working for something that will enrich themselves as well as management.
    Start showing respect for the experience and knowledge of the good people who work for you and let them contribute. Get rid of the abusive managers who are allowed to bully employees. Share the gains not just he pain. The true shame is that you have the talent on staff to get good things done, if only you could see it.

Don't come here if you know what you are doing

Current Employee - Sad Employee in Cincy amf, OH
    Current Employee - Sad Employee in Cincy amf, OH

I have been working at Integra LifeSciences full-time

Pros

You don't have to know much or do much and you get paid for it, upper management doesn't have a clue so it is easy to give them a song and a dance and they believe it

Cons

we can't make anything right but the good news is our leaders believe this is normal and corp. really believes we do well making parts right the first time they don't pay attention to our scrap rate and variances we write to accept junk we stink so bad when people ask me where I work I tell them I'm a drug dealer, I am ashamed of the poor quality of work we pass of for the important product we produce they don't teach us to do things correctly and our qc dept. just passes off junk, first of the year after a being a long time employee I need to do something else this joint effects my home life recall after recall and we don't learn you need to have pride in what your doing and have a desire to do it right not just to do it to get attainment or launch a produce multiple times and still can't get it right we have the saddest excuse for a machining dept. our engineers and qc and shipping departments spend more time surfing the internet than they do working their jobs sad very say

We need Leadership that understands proper manufacturing procedures, people need to be doing their jobs correctly instead of surfing the net or walking around bS'ing and taking smoke breaks, we need leadership to hold folks accountable but we need leaders that really understand how to run a plant correctly the culture here is lazy people that don't really understand what they are doing some want to do things right but no one can tech them we need a make over from top to bottom

Hard-working employees and mid-level managers; Unimpressive top management

I worked at Integra LifeSciences full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and take on new challenges. Most employees are hard-working and knowledgeable. Many departments allow flexible hours. Generous time off.

Cons

Although there are many opportunities to take on new challenges, you won't be compensated for it. Slow to fill open positions, they count on employees and supervisors to pick up the slack. Comparatively low compensation. Nearly every employee who leaves makes a lateral move for much more money. Benefits are so-so. Terrible tuition reimbursement. Rare to have an internal employee promoted to the director level or above, most are brought in from the outside.

Remove the glass ceiling. Invest in your people.

Currently employed by Integra LifeSciences

Current Employee - Regulatory Affairs Director in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Regulatory Affairs Director in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Integra LifeSciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging and interesting. Certainly this company can be a challenging place to work. However with the challenge comes great interesting projects. If you want mundane and typical, ILS is not the place for you. However, if you want to build your resume with relevant skills like; new product integration as a result of an acquistion, working closely with FDA to develop a regulatory strategy for a product that touches 6 different branches, work on PMA products, meet foreign health authorites like China FDA or Japan PMDA or work for a company that is growing and not shrinking, Integra could be the place for you. Lastly, the best reason to work at Integra are the people.

Cons

Since the company is growing, it experiences the typical growth pains any growing company experiences.

Continue to focus on the infrastructure and tools employees can use to succeed.

Learned alot

Current Employee - Product Development Engineering Co-op in Plainsboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineering Co-op in Plainsboro, NJ

I have been working at Integra LifeSciences as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Comfortable work setting
    Friendly team that encouraged new ideas and self motivation
    Working hours were flexible when other priorities took place

Cons

Project work was slow at times
    Some tasks were mundane
    Company growth is slow and new managements felt too sudden

Chaos and Inconsistency

I have been working at Integra LifeSciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has been trying to show that it appreciates employees after a survey, but it is slow and it is all the same stuff we did before and stopped doing.

Cons

No training. No structure. No room to move up. Pay is horrible, I took it and am still here while I am interviewing for jobs with competitors who are offering what my position should be paid and better benefits. This place is not a good place to work.