Integra Telecom

Integra Telecom Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Integra Telecom CEO Kevin O'Hara

Kevin O'Hara

Pros
  • good benefits, flexible hours, have a chance to make good commission if you hit your quota(in 10 reviews)

• Great work atmosphere with local customer service numbers(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • embarrassingly high turnover in sales, imbalance with opportunity - expectation(in 9 reviews)

• Upper management made drastic changes over the last 6-8 months(in 7 reviews)

Terrible Company

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsEasy to get hired. They have new colors for the logo so that is something.

ConsTerrible training, philosophy is to over hire sales reps and weed 80% out. Product is inferior, they will not support it nor do they help customers who they screw over.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you can't find a buyer for the company bring in management that actually cares about workers outside of the home office.

good products toxic work environment

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

Prosreputable products /services to represent in B2B sales

ConsToxic nepotistic work environment- management maintains low ethical standards

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate management needs to quit turning a blind eye to the ethical issues of Denver

Might consider bringing on some real Change Management specialists.

"Temporary" IS Considered Internal Contract/Intern (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsIn a non-customer facing role I had some ability to work from home. Beautiful new offices. The people in general are great people to know and work next to. Everyone deals with the dysfunctionality of this company as many families do: the leaders ignore it, the underlings become cynical, sardonic, and frustrated. The best medicine becomes laughter.

ConsTemporary employee treated with the carrot on a stick.. just fill this out, wait for (event to occur). A 3-6 month trial period is expected. When most temps are kept for 12-16 months the cracks in the system really start to show. (No holiday pay, no PTO, no 401k match) Brought in under the "Intern" designation so they don't have to pay industry standards, after a trial period one can fight for some raise in pay and be somewhat considered "Internal Contractor" but definitely not at a Contractor price. This eliminates the ability to trust mgmt. I always feel like someone is blowing smoke with comments about my value, skills, knowledge, yet there is no real job offer to consider. There is the constant feeling that this company is on the brink of something.. and it does not make for a comfortable place to be productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a change management firm/specialist/consultant. The real changes that are made are not communicated well. There may have been flurries of emails about moving, but within the teams, communication is nill. Many managers are great at managing "up stream" leaving their subordinates at great loss, without effective coaching or leadership. And, stop slapping your Temporary Employees in the face with "All Employee" emails asking for feedback about communication, only to be excluded from the activity. As a temp, I've met quite a few who've considered non-sales roles. I've coached them to dodge this bullet and walk away from the drama.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shoot from the hip

IT Analyst Senior (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsFor a telecom company, there is a surprising "get it done" culture that in many areas still keeps bureaucracy to a minimum. If you have an idea on how to do something better, it can probably be put in place.

The work environment is supportive of family life, and after 5:00 the office is virtually empty.

An enterprising go-getter will find lots of opportunities to excel here.

ConsThe company went from a 500-employee operation to 2000 employees in a very short period due to a string of acquisitions. The strains on policies and the company's culture remain evident. Many IT processes feel "unfinished," and inter-team and inter-organizational collaboration can be shaky. In this management culture, forward planning is often lacking.

You really must keep after people, especially in other teams, to get them to do anything that's outside their normal routine. Compared to other companies that I've worked for, I've found it difficult to get people to follow-through on anything that's unusual. If it could fall through the cracks, it probably will.

Salary lags behind competitors, at least in IT.

The company recently changed the vacation/sick time policy to force employees to use all of their PTO by the end of each year.

The executive team has moved to Denver, though oddly, there was never an announcement.

The company moves its headquarters from Portland to eastern Vancouver (bordering Camas) on 5/1/14. Unfortunately, the new office space will cram 500 people into a large bay filled with small 7' short cubicles. Boosters of the "Open Office" floor plan may think it's cool, but to me and many others it is a return to a Kafkaesque office out of the 1910's.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpending large sums of money on long-haul fiber lines is an obvious way to make Integra a more valuable company. However, leaving the IT infrastructure on ancient hardware that is no longer supported, and not allocating sufficient resources to run important new applications is leading us to an inevitable embarrassment in front of a customer.

Enjoyed many wonderful years at Integra, though times have changed.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsIt was a small, rapidly growing company with excellent opportunity for advancement, competitive earnings, very flexible, and an outlet to have your voice heard and make a difference.

ConsFinancial challenges have handcuffed the company's ability to stay current and competitive, and the new leadership has created a less desirable environment.

Our team is great, but not enough "Policies and/or Procedures" in place.

Field Service Technician (Current Employee) Renton, WA

ProsPeople are great to work with, work is plentiful.

ConsWage increases are very difficult.
    A lot of arguments internally, which in turns makes us look bad to our customers.
    The lack of policies and procedures makes projects suffer quite a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeems to be heading in the right direction and on the up and up.

Chaotic. Change for the sake of change without real improvements.

Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsThe company ostensibly has the right products (high speed data transmission and phone service) and the right infrastructure to deliver the products.

ConsConstant change without any improvements in processes or customer service. Three CEOs in the space of two years (current CEO in place since 2012). Radical restructuring from local markets to centralized service. Several downsizings, continuing through 2013. Company originally had six core values (profitability, respect, excellence, communication, integrity, service), but they were not backed by executives and so were never effectively implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to core values and actually do what you say you will do.

Miss the old Integra!

Sales (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCo-workers, network, aggressive, nimble, new products, attempting to innovate, fiber builds, loyal customer base from original brand name.

ConsChange, change, change, and more change. No momentum can be created. Level 3 and CLINK we are not and that is all our leadership knows. Every competitive advantage Integra had in the good old days is long gone. Old Integra is sorely missed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThree years in a row, new plans, new focus, new rules, new leadership, and trust has been lost. Stop making changes. Go back to 4 years ago as it worked much better.

Good Company - Looking to grow.

Senior Enterprise Account Executive (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat work atmosphere with local customer service numbers. No menu tree for customers to navigate.

ConsFor a new person learning the software systems and products. Knowing how to really leverage them for success. Getting special pricing in a timely manner would be nice also.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more pro sales. Have more fun events. Treating employees as persons and caring.

Good environment, smart people, some challenges but always feels like "home"

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsBig enough to allow you to do your job without politics affecting everything you do; small enough to know everyone you work with and appreciate them. Good pay and benefits. Relative stability. Lots of stuff to get involved with that can keep you from boredom.

ConsNew leadership wants a more corporate feel; has made some really foolish decisions without fully understanding the culture (or caring to understand it). Constant changes that seem to be messing with our bottom line and not given time to prove out.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow the changes. Rome was not built in a day...but y'all can sure as hell burn it down in one! Let things settle a bit. Also, stop hiring every single leaderhsip position based on a Level (3) background. It looks disingeneous and also raises questions about our ability to move forward based on the last 18 months of results.

Worked for Integra Telecom? Contribute to the Community!