Integra Telecom Reviews

155 reviews filtered by

1. Terrible Company

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get hired. They have new colors for the logo so that is something.

Cons

Terrible training, philosophy is to over hire sales reps and weed 80% out. Product is inferior, they will not support it nor do they help customers who they screw over.

Since you can't find a buyer for the company bring in management that actually cares about workers outside of the home office.

Might consider bringing on some real Change Management specialists.

Current Employee - "Temporary" IS Considered Internal Contract/Intern in Portland, OR

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In a non-customer facing role I had some ability to work from home. Beautiful new offices. The people in general are great people to know and work next to. Everyone deals with the dysfunctionality of this company as many families do: the leaders ignore it, the underlings become cynical, sardonic, and frustrated. The best medicine becomes laughter.

Cons

Temporary employee treated with the carrot on a stick.. just fill this out, wait for (event to occur). A 3-6 month trial period is expected. When most temps are kept for 12-16 months the cracks in the system really start to show. (No holiday pay, no PTO, no 401k match) Brought in under the "Intern" designation so they don't have to pay industry standards, after a trial period one can fight for some raise in pay and be somewhat considered "Internal Contractor" but definitely not at a Contractor price. This eliminates the ability to trust mgmt. I always feel like someone is blowing smoke with comments about my value, skills, knowledge, yet there is no real job offer to consider. There is the constant feeling that this company is on the brink of something.. and it does not make for a comfortable place to be productive.

Hire a change management firm/specialist/consultant. The real changes that are made are not communicated well. There may have been flurries of emails about moving, but within the teams, communication is nill. Many managers are great at managing "up stream" leaving their subordinates at great loss, without effective coaching or leadership. And, stop slapping your Temporary Employees in the face with "All Employee" emails asking for feedback about communication, only to be excluded from the activity. As a temp, I've met quite a few who've considered non-sales roles. I've coached them to dodge this bullet and walk away from the drama.

Shoot from the hip

Current Employee - IT Analyst Senior in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - IT Analyst Senior in Portland, OR

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For a telecom company, there is a surprising "get it done" culture that in many areas still keeps bureaucracy to a minimum. If you have an idea on how to do something better, it can probably be put in place.

The work environment is supportive of family life, and after 5:00 the office is virtually empty.

An enterprising go-getter will find lots of opportunities to excel here.

Cons

The company went from a 500-employee operation to 2000 employees in a very short period due to a string of acquisitions. The strains on policies and the company's culture remain evident. Many IT processes feel "unfinished," and inter-team and inter-organizational collaboration can be shaky. In this management culture, forward planning is often lacking.

You really must keep after people, especially in other teams, to get them to do anything that's outside their normal routine. Compared to other companies that I've worked for, I've found it difficult to get people to follow-through on anything that's unusual. If it could fall through the cracks, it probably will.

Salary lags behind competitors, at least in IT.

The company recently changed the vacation/sick time policy to force employees to use all of their PTO by the end of each year.

The executive team has moved to Denver, though oddly, there was never an announcement.

The company moves its headquarters from Portland to eastern Vancouver (bordering Camas) on 5/1/14. Unfortunately, the new office space will cram 500 people into a large bay filled with small 7' short cubicles. Boosters of the "Open Office" floor plan may think it's cool, but to me and many others it is a return to a Kafkaesque office out of the 1910's.

Spending large sums of money on long-haul fiber lines is an obvious way to make Integra a more valuable company. However, leaving the IT infrastructure on ancient hardware that is no longer supported, and not allocating sufficient resources to run important new applications is leading us to an inevitable embarrassment in front of a customer.

Enjoyed many wonderful years at Integra, though times have changed.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was a small, rapidly growing company with excellent opportunity for advancement, competitive earnings, very flexible, and an outlet to have your voice heard and make a difference.

Cons

Financial challenges have handcuffed the company's ability to stay current and competitive, and the new leadership has created a less desirable environment.

Our team is great, but not enough "Policies and/or Procedures" in place.

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Renton, WA

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are great to work with, work is plentiful.

Cons

Wage increases are very difficult.
    A lot of arguments internally, which in turns makes us look bad to our customers.
    The lack of policies and procedures makes projects suffer quite a bit.

Seems to be heading in the right direction and on the up and up.

Chaotic. Change for the sake of change without real improvements.

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Integra Telecom full-time

Pros

The company ostensibly has the right products (high speed data transmission and phone service) and the right infrastructure to deliver the products.

Cons

Constant change without any improvements in processes or customer service. Three CEOs in the space of two years (current CEO in place since 2012). Radical restructuring from local markets to centralized service. Several downsizings, continuing through 2013. Company originally had six core values (profitability, respect, excellence, communication, integrity, service), but they were not backed by executives and so were never effectively implemented.

Go back to core values and actually do what you say you will do.

Good Company - Looking to grow.

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work atmosphere with local customer service numbers. No menu tree for customers to navigate.

Cons

For a new person learning the software systems and products. Knowing how to really leverage them for success. Getting special pricing in a timely manner would be nice also.

Be more pro sales. Have more fun events. Treating employees as persons and caring.

9. Miss the old Integra!

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers, network, aggressive, nimble, new products, attempting to innovate, fiber builds, loyal customer base from original brand name.

Cons

Change, change, change, and more change. No momentum can be created. Level 3 and CLINK we are not and that is all our leadership knows. Every competitive advantage Integra had in the good old days is long gone. Old Integra is sorely missed.

Three years in a row, new plans, new focus, new rules, new leadership, and trust has been lost. Stop making changes. Go back to 4 years ago as it worked much better.

Good environment, smart people, some challenges but always feels like "home"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big enough to allow you to do your job without politics affecting everything you do; small enough to know everyone you work with and appreciate them. Good pay and benefits. Relative stability. Lots of stuff to get involved with that can keep you from boredom.

Cons

New leadership wants a more corporate feel; has made some really foolish decisions without fully understanding the culture (or caring to understand it). Constant changes that seem to be messing with our bottom line and not given time to prove out.

Slow the changes. Rome was not built in a day...but y'all can sure as hell burn it down in one! Let things settle a bit. Also, stop hiring every single leaderhsip position based on a Level (3) background. It looks disingeneous and also raises questions about our ability to move forward based on the last 18 months of results.

11. High Turnover

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Integra Telecom full-time

Pros

Great co-workers; management tried hard.

Cons

High turnover, fearful employees, no PTO.

Care more about employees than the bottom line and you'll see the bottom line rise.

Integra Telecom Photos