Integra Telecom

Updated December 13, 2014
2.1

Integra Telecom CEO Kevin O'Hara
Kevin O'Hara

Pros
  • good benefits, flexible hours, have a chance to make good commission if you hit your quota (in 14 reviews)

• The people in general are great people to know and work next to (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • embarrassingly high turnover in sales, imbalance with opportunity - expectation (in 9 reviews)

• Constant change without any improvements in processes or customer service (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

good company, but lots of changes

Former Employee - Business Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good pay, good support from management

Cons

new management changed all the core values

Half baked plans creating frustrating experience for employees and customers.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at Integra Telecom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great product set and support from engineers.

Cons

Changes seem half thought out upsetting employees and in turn hurting customer experience. Constant changes to sales strategy and compensation rewarding those farming a base of accounts rather than those working to find new business. Unrealistic expectations by sales leadership with relentless pressure to just go sell something creating a hostile environment at times.

Don't expect any leads, as all sales leads funnel to the inside channel, or one specific sales manager who leadership doesn't allow to fail. If you're not on that team you'll struggle to keep your head above water but if you're fortunate enough to be on the good side of said manager, you can go from average to a superstar overnight as all good accounts and leads will be assigned to you.

Start by asking people on the front line if these new ideas or plans have flaws. Too often things are rolled out and within weeks they need to be changed as the front line employees had little to no input. You'll continue to lose good sales people if they are not rewarded or given a lead or good account from time to time. You should focus on increasing morale and culture and it starts with a fair lead sharing process. The favorites always getting the leads upsets most everyone in the office.

Decent benefits, all else bad and getting worse

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time

Pros

Benefits are decent and the technology is on target.

Cons

This was a great company with great benefits and great opportunities. Benefits are still good but they have been cut down starting January 2014. Upper management made drastic changes over the last 6-8 months. By closing or reducing remote locations, demoting employee titles while giving them the responsibilities that used to be for the positions above them and not properly training them they created a heavily chaotic environment. Couple that with micromanaging and constant threats about performance it has gone from one of the best companies to one of the worst in an extraordinarily short period of time.

With large numbers of employees leaving it is only getting worse.

Get rid of the upper management that came in about a year ago and go back to what you used to do well. Customers are unhappy, employees are unhappy. By trying to save dollars you are about to lose the whole thing.

Disorganized Mess

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative III in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative III in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, Co Workers, Work Life, Compensation

Cons

Some Managers, Disrespect from managers, Red Tape, Unprofessional Co Workers, When Integra Telecom Bought Eschelon Telecom. By The Book Management

Need to value your employees more. Make sure they have the tools that actually work.

It was a long run with disappointing end.

Former Employee - Network Specifications Engineer II in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Network Specifications Engineer II in Portland, OR

I worked at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work schedules are flexible, salaries are fair and market based. Also found it possible to achieve an acceptable work-home balance.

Cons

The management style is very top down. A lot is demanded, but there is little or no security. There are frequent RIFs.

Great people, a few growing pains

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time

Pros

The people! The people at Integra are most amazing individuals. Almost everyone is willing to help each other at any time. With a product depth as deep as we have, it's great to know you have support when you come across things you don't know. Very nimble and aggressive in financial decisions outside of standard pricing to secure business. Advice to newbies... if you're offered a job here, great! But trust your instincts when asked to perform tasks you believe will impede your ability to immediately set yourself up for success.

Cons

Not a huge con, but for me the leadership has been less than desirable. The company is of decent size, but it's not a Comcast, yet. However, many times the decisions made to implement new changes, mostly to the integration of the different departments, seem to reflect the mentality that we are bigger than we are. As well, the company states that it is trying to move away from transactional selling practices and towards relational practices, and although they have turned over most of the old talent and brought in newer talent that believes in relational selling, it's still a constant feeling of needing to be transactional.

During focus groups or round tables, try to listen to your employees concerns and ideas and treat them as true opportunities to be better and do better by them, rather than defend the current way we do things to try and convince them their idea/concern is invalid.

Great coworkers, decent products, questionable future

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great People
    Best Equipment Sales in the business
    Relaxed Casual dress - Jeans are great when you don't have to visit a customer

Cons

Installation is terrible - 45 days for an analog line
    Compensation plan changes regularly - So far in 2013 there have been four major changes to compensation
    Leadership Changes - The leaders in place now are pretty decent on an organizational level, but the exodus of senior leaders with operational experience is of concern
    Opp for advancement - Portland or Denver only, regional markets being phased out

Retain top talent, listen to employees and involve them in change, hire more people

At one time a great company. Now struggling to find their way.

Current Employee - Channel Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Channel Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great industry. Excellent Fiber Network. Full suite of products and good footprint/coverage areas.

Cons

Overall Leadership is extremely poor. Recent Virtual Centralization of workforce failed. New idea to physically centralize is an unproven and moves the company further away from what made them successful to begin with - Local Customer Support and Local Service.

Start treating employees like they are valuable and not just easily replaceable parts in your machine. Remember, great companies have great employees and treat their employees as good or better than they treat their customers.

Exhaustion: A maddening, discouraging, trying, unfair yet reassuring, rewarding and hopeful environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Just give us a roadmap, [real] mission and year-to-year (at the least) goals, and we'll get there. Integra has potential.

Cons

Lack of consistent, clear and pronounced strategic direction from the executive team. Also, one's ability to provide free-flowing, constructive feedback is challenged (hence the anonymous post).

Is it ever a wonder why the following are happening @ Integra:
    - Slow growing sales
    - More-than-reported customer churn
    - High employee turnover (specifically sales)
    - Poor employee morale

Wth the most recent change in names and faces, a deep separation has evolved between management (mostly upper) and the employees (mostly individual contributors). Changes are seemingly made without much thought, strategic alignment (assuming Company strategies are identified, determined and delivered), or announcement. Executive team, let your employees help. By that, I don't mean your executive team or those that make-up the upper-management or director-level group; I'm talking about your front-line employees; the most tenured segment in Integra. They're smart, insightful, hardworking and devoted to a greater cause.

The most recent structural changes at Integra have occured without the following: a stated strategic purpose or the input from the frontline, or first-line management. Why? Why is it that those dedicated to providing the highest level of customer statisfaction would be ignored or uninformed? Why is it believed that only those in a Director level can make an educated decision at Integra? Why does our mission statement imply we guage our level of service by staying in touch with our customers but we never--and I mean never--seek their advice in how we should operate, let alone proactively collect their feedback regarding our service?

Integra, let your employees help you grow up. Listen. Pick a strategy (just one) and determine short and long term objectives to get there. Then, communicate it. Not just to those most trustworthy (i.e. the executive team) but to the entire employee base. Create excitement and let us join efforts to enable sucess.

In addition to the above, here are a couple of recommendations:

Sales: Align our strategy to the customer, not segment. Stop the harrassment between channels and start working collaberatively together by creating complementary (not competing) customer-centric goals (aligned with the Company objectives, assuming they are defined). The current inter-channel activity has contributed toward one of the worst environments in the Company. It's easy to correct, though. Start by getting Sales, HR, Marketing, and Legal together to create a cohesive and committed plan.

Repair: How can one of the least successful departments be viewed as the least problematic? The lack of recent success in this department has directly led to failure in our other groups: Call Center and Customer Account Mgmt (just to mention two). Nonresponsiveness or impolite behavior from these customer-facing representatives provides an intolerable glimpse into the future of customer retention issues the Company will experience if not immediately corrected.

IT, IT...IT: The majority of Furtune 100 companies say their IT departments are 'support' functions. That means they take a back seat to the business and are not decision-making authorites for the company's strategic direction. We do not need you to step-up, prevent, hamper or hinder our success. We do not need another ill-stated or half-completed project masked by the words sprint, phase or iteration. Step aside and get behind the business.

What do you say, Executive Team, can we do it? Can we join together for the greater good and bring the Company back around to where it should be? I think so.

It was okay

Current Employee - Customer Service in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love the location and hours

Cons

Upper management do not value employees

Integra Telecom Photos