Integral Consulting Inc.

Updated September 17, 2014
2.0

Integral Consulting Inc. President Lucinda Jacobs
Lucinda Jacobs

I am ambivalent to my experience overall with Integral. First it was great and then rapidly declined

I worked at Integral Consulting Inc. part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company has changed so much since I was hired I am not sure any of the positive reasons I initially went to work there are still true. Culture has changed substantially in past 3-4 years and not in a good way

Cons

No loyalty to staff ( one of the initial reasons I joined firm). Company does not appear to value contribution from long time staff anymore and has laid off experienced workers while letting new hires/inexperienced people remain. Culture has deteriorated significantly over past few years and it appears current management is not moving to change things in positive direction.

Stop playing favorites. Reward long term employees by retaining them rather than newer hires. Return to original collaborative culture where experience is valued.

Extreme valuation differences between technical staff and support staff!

Former Employee - Undisclosed in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Undisclosed in Seattle, WA

I worked at Integral Consulting Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job security - everything you do has to be done 100 times because 100 people have to review it before it's final and no one has the same opinion so you'll always have work to do. Oblivious management - no one is monitored on how they use their computers so Facebook and internet game play are nearly encouraged, and no one is monitored on how long their lunches are, or when they come and go for their shifts, so folks get paid to work full-time, although I doubt many of them do! Transportation benefits - company pays for public transit, and offers other reimbursements too depending on the person.

Cons

No communication - After nearly 10 years of working there people still didn't know what my role in the company was! Horrible pay - good luck getting more than a few cent raise once a year! The cost of living increases are gigantic in comparison to how your pay will increase over time. Boring work - Sure it's job security, but having to repeat a task 1500 times because one person doesn't like one little word, or the color shade needs to be darker, is BORING! Support staff underpaid and over-utilized - No matter how beneficial you've been to the success of the company, how many people you're expected to support, or what hoops you'll dive through to meet the deadlines of someone more important than you, you will never be adequately rewarded for it. You will never get a raise worth bragging about (there's a formula for those), you'll never be offered company stock (unless you are technical staff, since only they matter), and if you do manage to get the nearly-extinct spot bonus, don't count on it being more than lunch money for the week! No room to advance - Nope, none. Maybe if you're technical staff, but even then, it's questionable.

Adjust your pay scales so they meet or exceed those of similar companies. Make yearly raises at least (and I mean at the very least) equivalent to the rise in the cost of living for the year. Pay attention to your staff, what they do (and don't do), how they help your company grow, what role they play, and act on that knowledge! Reward those that are deserving, reprimand those that aren't, otherwise, you'll just continue to pay half (or more) of your staff for doing nothing all day, while not paying those who truly work for you. Recognize that your support staff are not your inferiors, they are your lifelines! Without them, you wouldn't even exist so show a little appreciation rather than give them the impression that they aren't good enough for you!

Regard junior staff as expendable

Former Employee - Research Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Integral Consulting Inc.

Pros

Good benefits package with the exception of comp time.
    Good science, smart people

Cons

Pay much lower than other companies
    Managers expect junior staff to put work before personal life
    Comp time only awarded at 75%,.