Integral Group

Updated September 24, 2014
3.4

Integral Group President & CEO Kevin Hydes
Kevin Hydes

Awesome experience while in college

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Oakland, CA

I worked at Integral Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I got to learn a lot and contribute in a team. They provide excellent mentorship and training program. Colleagues are friendly supportive. Excellent work-life balance. Loved working there. One of the best firms I have worked for

Cons

They didn't provide any relocation assistance which is quite common for internships. Nothing much to say..

None, that I can think of.

Great Ideas, Bad Execution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Integral Group full-time

Pros

Great healthy snacks, young group that is full of fun things to do outside of work. People really try to invite everyone regardless of department to outings.

Cons

Horrible Management, bad pay compared to industry standards, watched one ridiculous woman cry on multiple occasions (because her work load was "too large"). Mindless HR department complete with questionable business practices. No work life balance- people have been rumored to sleep in the "meditation room" because of pulling such late nights. the list goes on...

Work out your kinks before trying to run a company. Each office (although different in market draw) should use the same company information, and company message should be the same across all offices- which it currently is not.

Achieve career excellence, and positive environmental and social impact through your work, every day.

Current Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Integral Group

Pros

Net Zero Energy building design expertise
    collaborative and integrative design environment
    truly sustainable buildings
    challenging the status quo on every project
    opportunity for high impact, no matter what level you're at
    awesome projects and clients
    career advancement and responsibility - - no barriers to growth
    great team and people - fun place to work
    mentors at every turn, amazing education opportunities

Cons

IT infrastructure could be a bit better (computers and software)
    long hours when project deadlines approach; difficult to balance work and personal life in these situations

keep making strategic long term hires
    keep inspiring staff and educating them about the difference they're making
    I love the monthly staff meetings and company updates, keep it up

A environment of collaboration, innovation and design excellence

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Integral Group

Pros

-I am surrounded by people passionate about innovation and providing the best design and analysis for their clients.
    -Collaboration is standard operating procedure here.
    -Education opportunities are rich: we have weekly lunch and learns, are encouraged to take continuing education classes and seminars.
    -We "walk the talk": this is a green office. Energy efficiency and sustainability is practiced through-out the office.
    -Oakland office is a showcase of what we can do: we designed it to be the highest points, lowest cost per sf LEED Platinum in the world
    -Great benefits, not just health insurance, but bike to work, organic fruit, lunchtime running clubs...

Cons

Having grown from a small to mid-size company, we are still perceived by some clients as small.

Constriction of economy has limited the size and scope of projects coming in.

Continue to foster transparency in business objectives and direction.

Set Integral apart from other engineering companies by continuing to take only the best and greenest projects.

Tap into employee's pride in working for such a cutting edge company.

Share challenges --not just triumphs-- with employees.

The vision and quality of projects at Integral Group are what make me excited to come in to work and get things done.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Integral Group

Pros

Best vision of any engineering company I know of. The leadership is genuinely guided by a compelling vision for the future based on a deep understanding of the crises facing our society. This is not a company run by profit motive, this is a company that is fueled *from the top* by a deep passion for making the world a better place. Number one reason why I work here.

Innovation is encouraged. There is a looseness in structure that allows motivated people to come up with their own ideas for how to do things and run with them. An individual has the potential to take initiative and Make Things Happen.

Every project is unique and exciting. Nothing is cookie cutter here, no designs are cut n paste. "Rule of Thumb" is a dirty word. Every project is challenging and stimulating.

There is a sense of camaraderie that comes from working on interesting work and always pushing boundaries. Some of my best friends are my coworkers here. There are some amazing, creepy-smart, passionate people here, and I love working with them.

Office drama is very low. People are here to get work done.

Cons

The aforementioned looseness in structure can make efficient workflows difficult and frustrating to attain. Seat of your pants engineering can grind you down and burn you out.

The seat of your pants culture here can make it difficult for new ideas or workflows to get implemented. Often good ideas get cast to the side during crunch time. It's easy to propose and come up with new ideas: the act of making those changes stick isn't trivial. This can be very frustrating and make people feel like their opinions and/or feedback aren't being respected.

In the same way that the company is driven by vision and passion instead of profit, benefits and compensation don't take a first-row seat here (although they're not terrible). People are motivated to work here for the innovation and the vision, not for the benefit package.

Project-focused, not people-focused. This backfires - project work suffers because of the lack of focus on people.

Attention paid to cultivating a particular, specific, and compelling company culture. The current culture isn't weak, but it's not intentional. It's organic. The vision for the work the company does is strong and clear: the vision for the culture of how those awesome projects are carried out is lacking. I'm talking about something very focused on people, and it's *people* who make or break a company. It's not clear, based on actions, that management understands this fully.

I don't think anyone here now has the time to pull this off, regardless of if anyone has the skill/knowledge to do so (maybe).

Regardless of the challenges of _how_ to make this happen (just details, right?), the challenge is to do this with authenticity. Especially here, we'll smell corporate bs a mile away and it'll backfire. PR gimmicks don't work in 2012 and it would be a shame to see those attempted.

Great People, Appalling Management and Compensation Package

Current Employee - Designer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Designer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Integral Group full-time

Pros

+ A company with lots of great hardworking, dedicated people. Some are very willing to cultivate juniors. (You would need these qualities to stay in the company for any length of time)
    + Lots of interesting projects to keep you motivated
    + Good learning environment if you are willing to take the initiatives
    + Great for juniors looking to learn and grow

Cons

- Poor management unable to keep talents - leading to extremely high turnover rates
    - Very poor compensation package in comparison to industry average
    - Very budget conscious on anything to do with promoting the well being and needs of employees
    - Questionable HR practices
    - Lack of respect, trust and appreciation to employees from management
    - Management tries to promote open communication and company values but more said than done
    - Lots of opportunities for over time work required due to nature of industry and company's cost saving measures
    - The management may promise one thing to settle employee's request but fails to provide in the end

To keep talents, the compensation package must be brought inline with industry average. In the consulting industry, talents and experience is the heart of the business. The current method of doing thing is not going to be sustainable in the long term. The company values are great visions to begin with but do not just promote them and manage the company in a different way. There is definitely increasing company dissatisfaction in recent months.

Good learning experience but heavy work load

I have been working at Integral Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good learning experience with good people

Cons

very busy during peak times

Learned and accomplished a lot but was disappointed in how company culture changed when they tried to grow.

I have been working at Integral Group

Pros

Innovative design approach, great projects and clients
    Great place to learn
    Many very cool people in company
    Great reputation, but it's slipping
    Great opportunity for making an impact
    Generally a very socially responsible company
    Many good green perks

Cons

Lack of real advancement opportunities, despite a lot of talk about it
    Overly emotional and "seat of the pants" management style
    Arrogance and disrespect toward employees and sometimes clients
    If you disagree with the boss, you're ostracized
    HR practices are shoddy
    More interested in projects than people and relationships

Get better talent focused only on management, not design
    Communicate more effectively to employees what the overall company game plan is
    More decentralized decision making and authority
    Make more real opportunities for advancement
    Really listen to employees even if they sometimes have negative things to say- many of them have great ideas
    Build real trust with employees

Integral Group Photos