Integrated DNA Technologies

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joseph Walder

Employee focused company that is quickly expanding with many opportunities

ProsI was able to work with a diverse group of scientist working on a myriad of applications. My coworkers are welcoming and very knowledgeable about their fields.

ConsYou will have to work a little to find all the new projects that are coming up because it's a busy place. But with a little bit of work you can be in the loop and coworkers are eager to talk to you about their work.

Above average business culture, some growing pains.

ProsIt's a friendly environment where employees from all levels regularly interact with one another.

Management generally gives employees enough breathing room to develop or fail on their own terms.

It's the most unique company I've ever worked for.

ConsIDT is still growing fairly quickly, so it’s exhibiting some growing pains. Some areas where one would want a lot of standardization and control have little of it, and other areas are overly controlled, which stifles ingenuity, and makes it an ordeal to accomplish what should be straight-forward tasks.

Compensation is slightly below average.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that flexibility and creativity got IDT to where it is today. Don't forget that when you're pursuing much-needed control improvements in some areas.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Amazing company to work for with great community and opportunities!

ProsCompany does a lot for the community. Benefits are outstanding. Friendly environment. Management is easy to speak with and they listen to their employees.

ConsCareer advancement is available, but will take time to achieve. Communication between senior management and employees could be increased.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have learned a great deal of molecular biology knowledge working at IDT.

Research Assistant II (Current Employee)
    Coralville, IA

ProsGreat people to work with, boss is great, and the hours are flexible.

ConsThe pay could be better.

Mixed Bag

Production Scientist II (Current Employee)

Pros-Benefits are fine
    -Some departments are very lax (sick kid? work from home. friends from college want to meet up in Las Vegas next week? take the week off. want to chat it up with your bestie in another deperatment? go ahead--just be back within an hour)
    -Many job openings monthly and IDT likes to promote from within.

Cons-The pay. It is all very hush-hush and dictated by your manager, I would prefer a concrete payscale. From sleuthing around I can tell that raises aren't "fair," BUT if you're well-liked it will be in your financial benefit.
    -Managers and departments vary. In some departments you have to schedule in a bathroom break and use vacation time if you are 5 minutes late, while in others you are free to eat a Snickers in the managers office whenever you want.
    -Inexperienced managers. Most of the managers started at IDT right after college, they have no idea how things run in other companies.
    -Seniority > skills. Employees who have been here since 2000 are the director/manager types. Some of these people are quite inept BUT are well liked (cannot stress how important this is) and have been rewarded with their own department. Some of these departments have two people in them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to trim the fat across the board. There are too many prodution scientists, micro departments, people who no longer care but have been here long enough to accrue a decent salary, etc. It would also be benefical to have a group who actually knew something about software/applications. The software is seriously lacking and is your key to increasing productivity. The key is NOT more employees.

Good place to start after school, but don't stay long.

Coralville, IA

ProsLots of paid vacation that you can use right away.
    Good wellness program
    Free Gym at Coralville location
    Safe and clean work environment

ConsVery difficult to move up in the company, all the management is young.
    Production Scientist work is very easy and a waste of a Bachelors degree.
    Shift times vary and the compensation for some shifts is not worth the difference.
    Promotion ladder leads to no where and it takes forever to climb it.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize the potential in the employees who have it.
    Get rid of the Production Specialist program and promote people based on merit not on how long they have been there.

No career advancement, underpaid.

Product Scientist I (Former Employee)
    Coralville, IA

ProsHSA account, young crowds, family like? sort of

ConsPays about $2100 a month as a Product Scientist I. No career advancements. You can become Product scientist II after two years of working but the wage upgrade is about $100-200/month more from Product Scientist I. People that have worked there over 8 years still are Product Scientist II. Because of little or no advancements at all, people leave after staying few years.
    Most of the time you are working standing up.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great Place to get your feet wet.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Coralville, IA

ProsThe work life balance is great at IDT and the people you work with are amazing. Great if you like a dynamic work environment and lot's of outside of work sponsored activities.

ConsThe company is young. It's 26 years old and a lot of the upper management is far from retiring. The opportunity to advance in this company is most likely impossible. The company needs a re-structure especially with relation to how they pay their employees. They pay every production scientist the same amount of salary across every department despite a disparity in the levels of required skills. This might have worked in the companies infant days, but it's causing a lot of turnover now that it's become much larger. Perhaps if they actually made available the educational assistance that they say that they offer (but don't because no one really knows how it works) and invest more in the talented employee's that periodically come through their revolving door, they might stop bleeding money in training costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time getting to know the people who work for you. Re-evaluate your pay structure and the requirements for certain positions. This will pay people more fairly and increase your bottom line.

Good experience for first job opportunity.

Enterprise Applications Intern (Former Employee)
    Coralville, IA

ProsLaid back atmosphere, flexible hours. Co-workers were very nice and helpful. No strict dress code and 24 hour access to the building was very convenient.

ConsVery repetitive work, not very intellectually challenging work. Work done was not what was described in the job description.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more formal and in depth training. Allow for more opportunities for programming experience.

Decent beginner job; difficult to move up

Coralville, IA

ProsWill higher Production Scientists right out of college, no experience necessary. Great facility. Job security. The CEO is a great man.

ConsIt takes a year to implement minor changes in the lab. Pay isn't the best as a production scientist. Health Benefits are ok

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be professional and avoid gossip to other production scientists. You do not have to be a best friend but a leader.

Worked for Integrated DNA Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Integrated DNA Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Integrated DNA Technologies CEO Joseph Walder. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Integrated DNA Technologies employees.