Integrated DNA Technologies Reviews

Joseph Walder

1. Part-Time Lab Technician

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coralville, IA

I worked at Integrated DNA Technologies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience for my last year of college, as the job was not mentally draining and had flexible scheduling. Hourly pay was above what I expected, and included the option for medical benefits.

Cons

Position offered little bench work - I would have been better suited for an internship. Communication was poor when trying to apply internally, and resulted in me leaving for another company. The pay for salaried positions was the lowest of my post-graduate offers.

2. Ok for right out of College

Current Employee - Management in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Management in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They do a good job at helping to create opportunities for time off.

Cons

Everything is pretty much deadlocked. There isn't much room for growth as everyone is pretty young still. The pay is sub par but they claim it pays similar to the nearby industries but not really.

3. Great place to start

Current Employee - Production Scientist II in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Production Scientist II in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies full-time

Pros

Laid back environment, yearly time off given up front, little pressure for performance or results, mostly friendly, over staffing makes time off easy. Lots of different manufacturing disciplines to cross train in, gain exposure and experience in chemical manufacturing/bio-technology. Recent locations abroad give chances to visit satellite locations.

Cons

Its Pros are also its Cons - low expectations of workers means low expectations. Advancement is difficult, especially from manufacturing floor. Few opportunities, and lots of people vying for same promotions. Management unwilling to owe up to lack of promotions, would rather placate employees than give them a straight answer. With so much staffing, this environment starts to breed in-fighting among manufacturing groups when promotions become available. Salaries are 5-10% below local salaries for comparable work. You trade low pay and few advancements for easy going place to work.

Advice to Management

Company is trying to grow itself, but is missing some key ingredients. Clear, unambiguous employee development program, with the process delineated. Be honest with the employees about advancement opportunities. Doing good, but still has work to do. Listen to reasonable complaints about environment. Management needs to be courageous with employees, and not sit on their hands when issues arise.

5. A place that's always changing and growing.

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies

Pros

Flexible manager, generous amount of PTO, challenging and engaging work once PSII status was achieved. Co-workers are fun but professional. Department is growing which has opened up opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Communication between other departments is minimal which causes mistakes and wasted resources. Start projects before we have a set plan or the resources which causes things to be done differently many times. Manufacturing is left in the dark as far as the uses for the products we make and why our customers order them, which leaves manufacturing labs disconnected.

Advice to Management

Find a way to connect the labs with sales. Have more intradepartmental meetings to discuss processes and ways to improve. Keep growing!

Company only cares about growing, forgetting about employees

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back work environment, can wear jeans to work.

Cons

Horrible pay, it is all who you know if you get promoted.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, all of them.

7. good for entry level

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies full-time

Pros

laid back and relaxed atmosphere

Cons

low base pay, long shifts

8. Employee focused company that is quickly expanding with many opportunities

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies full-time

Pros

I was able to work with a diverse group of scientist working on a myriad of applications. My coworkers are welcoming and very knowledgeable about their fields.

Cons

You will have to work a little to find all the new projects that are coming up because it's a busy place. But with a little bit of work you can be in the loop and coworkers are eager to talk to you about their work.

9. Above average business culture, some growing pains.

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a friendly environment where employees from all levels regularly interact with one another. Management generally gives employees enough breathing room to develop or fail on their own terms. It's the most unique company I've ever worked for.

Cons

IDT is still growing fairly quickly, so it’s exhibiting some growing pains. Some areas where one would want a lot of standardization and control have little of it, and other areas are overly controlled, which stifles ingenuity, and makes it an ordeal to accomplish what should be straight-forward tasks. Compensation is slightly below average.

Advice to Management

Understand that flexibility and creativity got IDT to where it is today. Don't forget that when you're pursuing much-needed control improvements in some areas.

10. Amazing company to work for with great community and opportunities!

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies

Pros

Company does a lot for the community. Benefits are outstanding. Friendly environment. Management is easy to speak with and they listen to their employees.

Cons

Career advancement is available, but will take time to achieve. Communication between senior management and employees could be increased.

11. I have learned a great deal of molecular biology knowledge working at IDT.

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Coralville, IA

Pros

Great people to work with, boss is great, and the hours are flexible.

Cons

The pay could be better.

RSS Feed </> Embed