Integrated DNA Technologies

Joseph Walder

Great company

Current Employee - Consultant in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They are always trying to stay at the forefront of the field. Reinvestment in new instrumentation or development of in-house technologies is always a priority. Also the work environment is very friendly. Attention was focused at the time in improving the efficiency of the know technology as well as the need for vertical integration. The margins for their products had been diminishing due to competition, and the only way to increase profits was by producing some of the chemicals they needed in house (those that were not patented, of course!)

Cons

Located in a small town with not many other important towns around

Easy going, laid back company

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked at IDT for about a year, I've enjoyed my time there. The workday is very relaxed in my department (IT), and also fairly organized. If you need a day off, you take a day off, generally no questions asked. Lots of perks and community activities, as well. IDT also has very comfortable facilities - they will spend to make their workers comfortable. Young workers, lots of energy.

Cons

The pay is slightly below what you would see for the same job with a different company. Jobs are sometimes awarded based on who you know, rather than your skills. It's competitive for jobs there. I was hoping to get a permanent job there, but it doesn't look like I'm going to get on full time. (intern)

At least for the IT side, needs a more structured training program, pay rates in IS need to be raised - considerably behind the market.

Company only cares about growing, forgetting about employees

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back work environment, can wear jeans to work.

Cons

Horrible pay, it is all who you know if you get promoted.

Care about your employees, all of them.

good for entry level

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies full-time

Pros

laid back and relaxed atmosphere

Cons

low base pay, long shifts

Employee focused company that is quickly expanding with many opportunities

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies full-time

Pros

I was able to work with a diverse group of scientist working on a myriad of applications. My coworkers are welcoming and very knowledgeable about their fields.

Cons

You will have to work a little to find all the new projects that are coming up because it's a busy place. But with a little bit of work you can be in the loop and coworkers are eager to talk to you about their work.

Above average business culture, some growing pains.

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a friendly environment where employees from all levels regularly interact with one another.

Management generally gives employees enough breathing room to develop or fail on their own terms.

It's the most unique company I've ever worked for.

Cons

IDT is still growing fairly quickly, so it’s exhibiting some growing pains. Some areas where one would want a lot of standardization and control have little of it, and other areas are overly controlled, which stifles ingenuity, and makes it an ordeal to accomplish what should be straight-forward tasks.

Compensation is slightly below average.

Understand that flexibility and creativity got IDT to where it is today. Don't forget that when you're pursuing much-needed control improvements in some areas.

Amazing company to work for with great community and opportunities!

I have been working at Integrated DNA Technologies

Pros

Company does a lot for the community. Benefits are outstanding. Friendly environment. Management is easy to speak with and they listen to their employees.

Cons

Career advancement is available, but will take time to achieve. Communication between senior management and employees could be increased.

I have learned a great deal of molecular biology knowledge working at IDT.

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Coralville, IA

Pros

Great people to work with, boss is great, and the hours are flexible.

Cons

The pay could be better.

Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Production Scientist II
    Current Employee - Production Scientist II

Pros

-Benefits are fine
    -Some departments are very lax (sick kid? work from home. friends from college want to meet up in Las Vegas next week? take the week off. want to chat it up with your bestie in another deperatment? go ahead--just be back within an hour)
    -Many job openings monthly and IDT likes to promote from within.

Cons

-The pay. It is all very hush-hush and dictated by your manager, I would prefer a concrete payscale. From sleuthing around I can tell that raises aren't "fair," BUT if you're well-liked it will be in your financial benefit.
    -Managers and departments vary. In some departments you have to schedule in a bathroom break and use vacation time if you are 5 minutes late, while in others you are free to eat a Snickers in the managers office whenever you want.
    -Inexperienced managers. Most of the managers started at IDT right after college, they have no idea how things run in other companies.
    -Seniority > skills. Employees who have been here since 2000 are the director/manager types. Some of these people are quite inept BUT are well liked (cannot stress how important this is) and have been rewarded with their own department. Some of these departments have two people in them.

It's time to trim the fat across the board. There are too many prodution scientists, micro departments, people who no longer care but have been here long enough to accrue a decent salary, etc. It would also be benefical to have a group who actually knew something about software/applications. The software is seriously lacking and is your key to increasing productivity. The key is NOT more employees.

Good place to start after school, but don't stay long.

Current Employee - Production Scientist II in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Production Scientist II in Coralville, IA

Pros

Lots of paid vacation that you can use right away.
    Good wellness program
    Free Gym at Coralville location
    Safe and clean work environment

Cons

Very difficult to move up in the company, all the management is young.
    Production Scientist work is very easy and a waste of a Bachelors degree.
    Shift times vary and the compensation for some shifts is not worth the difference.
    Promotion ladder leads to no where and it takes forever to climb it.

Realize the potential in the employees who have it.
    Get rid of the Production Specialist program and promote people based on merit not on how long they have been there.