Integrated Project Management Company

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
3.6

Rich Panico

Amazing company to work for

Current Employee - Project Management Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Management Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time

Pros

There are many great reasons to work at IPM, but I will name a few. The people are brilliant and talented. Someone is always available to help you improve a skill, gain insight, or bounce ideas off of. We work hard and play hard so while everyone is very busy during the weekdays, the company encourages socializing whenever we can. Whether we grab a drink after work, organize a team get together or have a great time at the quarterly staff meetings which bring all the regions together. Company culture is very important to Rich Panico (CEO).
    There is also a mentor-protege program for all first year employees that helps to integrated them into the company culture and provide another source of support in addition to their manager.
    IPM rewards employees for hard work. The harder you work, the more you are rewarded. There is a diverse portfolio of companies that you could be assigned to for project management consulting work, so employees stay challenged and get a breadth of experience in different departments and industries.
    While not everyone has what it takes to work at IPM, I've seen management go above and beyond to work with employees to try and improve their skills and keep them on board.

Cons

I'm not sure if this is a con so much as part of the territory of being a consultant, but most people have rather long commutes. It's part of the job, but IPM works very hard to minimize this and are strong believers in work-life balance.
    There are not an overwhelming number of opportunities to move up in the company either. If job title is really important you, this might become a concern after a year or two.

Aug 15, 2014

We agree! Our consultants are brilliant & talented! We just hope they know how much they are appreciated.

Great Autonomy, Worst Management in the Industry.

Former Employee - Project Management Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Management Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Integrated Project Management Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The autonomy of the role of Project Management Consultant is above that of most other companies. You manage your work location, schedule, and other variables to get the work done. The health benefits are great, and the expense report policy is generous. If you work past 50 hours in a week it will receive management attention for "working too much", backing up the company's commitment to work/life balance. Mr. Panico, the CEO, backs up his commitment to families and will work with every employee to make sure they are supported in their times of need.

Cons

Once Regional Managers are promoted to the position they hold, they are relatively unsupervised. They "take the pack off" as a result of the watchful eye leaving. Collectively, the middle management team provides conflicting advice that leads to consultants leaving the company. If you work here and float to different managers, you'll notice completely different approaches to business practices that mostly do not align with the company structure as managers start using their own personal approach. . The focus for the consultant becomes doing work the manager wants instead of doing work that the client wants. A class act of a consulting company is not one that bills the client for work that is not desired...

Additionally, there is no sales team in the company, the regional management spends more time working on selling work than they do supervising the work being done on client projects and it has disastrous consequences. I witnessed two of my managers try and guilt the client into buying more work. They were the most unprofessional conversations in my life, and I am glad to never have to go through it again. My clients would often beg me to make the managers not come back. These situations will happen to you too, and you'll find the professional reputation you established become erased by this unprofessional conduct. Bottom line - Great work sells itself. Mediocre work begs for more work.

There is a strong company culture to avoid damaging the reputation of the company above all else. It results into a company that is late to innovate, and takes years to develop new consulting functions. If you want to have cutting edge opportunities to consult in, this will not be the place. The focus on innovation is missing, and there won't be one any time in the near future.

Employees are rewarded purely on the work they have done for you in the past, and they are held on a pedestal like athletes past their prime. The problem with that is the "Past Performance" aspect. Past performance isn't future revenue. Sustained superior performers can, and occasionally will, poorly perform. New guys will on occasion have tremendous ideas, but they are pressured to put them aside because it is "different thinking".

I didn't approve of the CEO in this review for this one reason. His current focus on strategy and strategic development is not going to grow the business. Mr. Panico spends too much time on new talent coming in the door, and in their first year of employment. These guys that are given the opportunity to work at IPM feel so lucky to be there, that they won't venture from the vision he has in place for the organization. Instead, he should spend half the time (the time he spends trying to get his company's work awarded) holding the management to the standard that the consultants are held to. Turnover would decrease, the company would not remain stagnant in growth, and he would achieve his strategic vision earlier than expected. Also - I think if any of the C-suite and regional directors went out to the field and spent time observing projects, they'd be surprised, and would change the collective approach in a manner that would improve the company.

The current approach promotes a culture to under promise, over deliver, and leave the work short so that there is more work to be done.

Aug 15, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to present your thoughtful input. We are committed to delivering the highest value to our clients and to providing an exceptional experience for our employees. Our focus ... More

Growing company??

I worked at Integrated Project Management Company

Pros

Good health benefits, decent vacation time it pays the bills. Might be ok for those that like and crave structure and are new to project mgt.

Cons

I was noting that in response to some other reviews, this company responded that it is behaving the way it does because it is growing. That is ludicrous. The company has been the same size +/- 15 people. The fact that they responded and said that they are is I suspect a blatant lie. This company wants to tread water long enough to help all the C's retire in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to. As many many others have noted, it's a steady, unexciting general boring place to work at best.

If you state you are growing the company, where is a legitimate sales function? Perhaps some executive strategic coaching could breath new life into your org. The senior and middle management could strongly benefit from group or one one one coaching

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unkind

Current Employee - Project Management Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Management Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and a lot of very intelligent team members. The idea of this company is great and provides a lot of exposure.

Cons

The structure is ridiculous, they scrutinize you for a year and do not help you to grow unless it is exactly as they want it. I would not recommend this company to anyone who is young in there career and innovative. This company made me question my ability and was very condescending. They say they are like a family, but as new comer you are NOT welcome unless you conform to what they want you to be. They tell you they are about work life balance, but then are unhappy when you choose your real family over them!

Practice what you preach!

Jun 19, 2014

There is no doubt that IPM’s standards are high, and we do focus on delivering very high quality with a consistent look regardless of the consultant assigned. Acknowledging that we can always ... More

Outstanding people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employees are amazing, smart, fun people - always willing to help!

Cons

Projects can be quite demanding.

Excellent history, growth is challenging leadership.

Former Employee - Project Management Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Management Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Integrated Project Management Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong set of core values set by original founder and core leadership.
    Strong client relations.
    Good team collaboration.
    Strong focus on knowledge content development and consultant training - excellent opportunity for less experienced consultants with good leadership potential.

Cons

Internal management system is severely mismatching the company culture and also the level of experience of consultants.
    Reconsider the formal attire events - very outdated and sends a strange message.
    HQ sometimes feel out of sync with the consultants (remember who is out there serving the client base)

Review your management system and metrics system - don't fall down by going to a command and control mentality as you manage your impressive growth. Congratulations on remaining true to your core values for over 20 years - ensure the management philosophies, and traits present in your levels of leadership, are clearly aligned to support this.

Jun 19, 2014

Thanks for the thorough review; we appreciate your comments. We are always trying to ensure that our systems/structure match our needs, and we will continue to evaluate.

An amazing company with a strong culture!

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a small company. You know everyone. There is a sense that great things happen when IPM is involved and it shows in the work product of each and every individual who works there.

Cons

You wait your turn. It's a small company and mobility takes time.

Jun 19, 2014

We are a small company – but intent on growth, and with growth will come opportunities. New types of projects and new client/industry exposure are also important avenues which we exploit for our ... More

Great company! The culture, people, and professionalism are great to be around.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Burr Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Burr Ridge, IL

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time

Pros

The people are "good people". I love going to work every day.
    Company is respected in the industry.
    Feel like part of a family.
    Health benefits are great (100% for me and my family)
    Feedback is frequent and honest (I always know exactly where I stand)
    Everyone in the company is accessible.
    High caliber of employees push me to be better every day.
    Collaborative culture makes everyone better.

Cons

If you are out to make the most money possible in the industry, this is not for you.
    Although usually local, commute can be cumbersome depending on your client.

Find a better way to balance commute with a person's hours worked each week.

Jun 19, 2014

The Chicago commute! UUUGGGHHHHHH! (And San Francisco and Boston and LA!) We do feel and understand your pain.

Great people

Current Employee - Marketing and Business Development  in  Burr Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing and Business Development in Burr Ridge, IL

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

people, values, benefits. The organization is very well organized and people are generally very helpful and talented.

Cons

Small, not much room for advancement. Too many meetings that don't accomplish enough.

Good consulting firm for mid level project managers

Former Employee - Project Management Consultant
    Former Employee - Project Management Consultant

I worked at Integrated Project Management Company full-time

Pros

Brand name clients, good benefits, honest, ethical leadership, exposure to lots of projects, clients, and industries.

Cons

Too many non-strategic projects, more of a staff augmentation role than strategic consulting, very conformist culture, conservative and slow to change, long term engagements that can involve traveling for months or years.

Fix gap between hiring very experienced OLd, stating you're a strategic consulting firm, but then repeatedly taking low value staff augmentation PM jobs.

Worked for Integrated Project Management Company? Contribute to the Community!