Integrated Project Management Company

Updated January 15, 2015
3.6

Integrated Project Management Company President Rich Panico
Rich Panico

Employer that cares for its individuals

Current Employee - Corporate Services in Burr Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Services in Burr Ridge, IL

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

IPM is a place of caring, dedicated, intelligent, and honest individuals that only settle for the best possible output. As an IPMer, I'm encouraged to help shape my development in my career path, seek out educational training seminars to advance my knowledge, and provide new ideas that nearly always have a chance to be considered. My favorite perk is the 100% employer-paid healthcare plan - it's very much aligned with IPM's mission and beliefs. It becomes quickly evident once working here that people really do care and want you to succeed. It's truly incredible what I've seen management and co-workers do to go out of their way to help an IPMer in need. Moral support and encouragement is abundant. Lastly, CEO Rich Panico is as good as they get...it'd be impossible to find a more ethical and value-driven leader that refuses to comprise integrity. He's laid an incredible foundation for this organization to succeed.

Cons

The environment can be stressful. We work very hard and sometimes it can be challenging to manage the stress that comes with it. The performance evaluation system used to assess employee performance can be hard to adjust to as a type A/perfectionist personality that most of us are. However, the rating scale is overall fair and useful.

Dec 3, 2014

It's so good to know that you've experienced the caring and support that IPM longs for each of us to both receive and give. Hopefully the revised performance feedback system implemented in 2014 will ... More

Overinflated

Current Employee - Project Management Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Walking in the door here, it is clear that it is not the normal consulting firm. The work/life balance you get here is much better than elsewhere. I enjoy the ample amount of stress-free time I can spend with my family.

Cons

The company mantra was all about ethics and advertised all over YouTube when I was hired. It is disheartening to continually see unethical actions in the office. I hate seeing employees get treated differently. Management should be equitable towards all of the employees in the company, instead of employees getting fired or held from promotion while others get away with the same things. It isn't right.

It doesn't matter what I write here for "advice". Feedback only goes one way here...

Jan 23, 2015

What you describe certainly isn't right. We try hard to build trust so that even if all the facts cannot be put on the table, our employees will assume that our motives are good. It would be ... More

Great Company

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time

Pros

The people are the best part of this company. I've worked for several companies and this is by far the best company I've ever worked for. They take care of their people from the benefits, to compensation, to bonuses. Anyone is willing to give you a helping hand (all the way up to Senior Management). This company truly cares about its employees (its family) and are not afraid to show it.

Cons

Being a Consultant comes with its tolls, such as long commutes and a struggle of work/life balance, however the company tries extremely hard to minimize the impact of these factors.

Dec 3, 2014

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - and for acknowledging the high caliber people that we are blessed to call colleagues! It's an honor that they call IPM "home" despite the challenges of the ... More

The Best Place I've Ever Worked

Current Employee - Project Management Consultant in Burr Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Project Management Consultant in Burr Ridge, IL

Pros

I love the company's culture and it's the primary reason I plan to to stay here for many years. It's very refreshing to be surrounded by co-workers that share similar beliefs regarding honesty, work ethic, community service and striving for a suitable work-life balance. Management's commitment to work-life balance can be seen in how they manage travel demands; which is often the biggest work issue faced by consultants. IPM recognizes the commutes that many of us have and does work to assign us to a project with a lesser commute after we've completed a project with long commute.

The company works very hard to be the type of company people want to work for and don't want to leave. No company is perfect, but IPM has been the perfect company for me.

Cons

The only con for me has been the commutes associated with getting to many of our client locations. Although I have had long driving commutes to get to clients since I've been at IPM, it is offset by having local assignments that don't require regular air travel.

Continue what you've been doing; valuing honesty, integrity, work-life balance and your people. I think we should take a more aggressive approach to marketing our culture and why people enjoy working here but also to be very upfront about the nature of consulting. It's very easy to get enamored by IPM the company but if you don't enjoy the nature of consultant work or a consultant lifestyle you're probably not going to be happy working as a project management consultant at IPM.

Jan 7, 2015

We are glad you recognize the uniqueness of our culture! And thanks for the important advice. During the recruiting process we emphasize that two-way fit is critical, and there is no sugar-coating ... More

Amazing company to work for

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time

Pros

There are many great reasons to work at IPM, but I will name a few. The people are brilliant and talented. Someone is always available to help you improve a skill, gain insight, or bounce ideas off of. We work hard and play hard so while everyone is very busy during the weekdays, the company encourages socializing whenever we can. Whether we grab a drink after work, organize a team get together or have a great time at the quarterly staff meetings which bring all the regions together. Company culture is very important to Rich Panico (CEO).
    There is also a mentor-protege program for all first year employees that helps to integrated them into the company culture and provide another source of support in addition to their manager.
    IPM rewards employees for hard work. The harder you work, the more you are rewarded. There is a diverse portfolio of companies that you could be assigned to for project management consulting work, so employees stay challenged and get a breadth of experience in different departments and industries.
    While not everyone has what it takes to work at IPM, I've seen management go above and beyond to work with employees to try and improve their skills and keep them on board.

Cons

I'm not sure if this is a con so much as part of the territory of being a consultant, but most people have rather long commutes. It's part of the job, but IPM works very hard to minimize this and are strong believers in work-life balance.
    There are not an overwhelming number of opportunities to move up in the company either. If job title is really important you, this might become a concern after a year or two.

Aug 15, 2014

We agree! Our consultants are brilliant & talented! We just hope they know how much they are appreciated.

Growing company??

I worked at Integrated Project Management Company

Pros

Good health benefits, decent vacation time it pays the bills. Might be ok for those that like and crave structure and are new to project mgt.

Cons

I was noting that in response to some other reviews, this company responded that it is behaving the way it does because it is growing. That is ludicrous. The company has been the same size +/- 15 people. The fact that they responded and said that they are is I suspect a blatant lie. This company wants to tread water long enough to help all the C's retire in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to. As many many others have noted, it's a steady, unexciting general boring place to work at best.

If you state you are growing the company, where is a legitimate sales function? Perhaps some executive strategic coaching could breath new life into your org. The senior and middle management could strongly benefit from group or one one one coaching

Dec 3, 2014

Thank you for providing your perspective. We continue to be proud of our track record of growth - perhaps it isn't dramatic, but it is consistent. Quality people providing high-value, high-quality ... More

Great Autonomy, Worst Management in the Industry.

Former Employee - Project Management Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Integrated Project Management Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The autonomy of the role of Project Management Consultant is above that of most other companies. You manage your work location, schedule, and other variables to get the work done. The health benefits are great, and the expense report policy is generous. If you work past 50 hours in a week it will receive management attention for "working too much", backing up the company's commitment to work/life balance. Mr. Panico, the CEO, backs up his commitment to families and will work with every employee to make sure they are supported in their times of need.

Cons

Once Regional Managers are promoted to the position they hold, they are relatively unsupervised. They "take the pack off" as a result of the watchful eye leaving. Collectively, the middle management team provides conflicting advice that leads to consultants leaving the company. If you work here and float to different managers, you'll notice completely different approaches to business practices that mostly do not align with the company structure as managers start using their own personal approach. . The focus for the consultant becomes doing work the manager wants instead of doing work that the client wants. A class act of a consulting company is not one that bills the client for work that is not desired...

Additionally, there is no sales team in the company, the regional management spends more time working on selling work than they do supervising the work being done on client projects and it has disastrous consequences. I witnessed two of my managers try and guilt the client into buying more work. They were the most unprofessional conversations in my life, and I am glad to never have to go through it again. My clients would often beg me to make the managers not come back. These situations will happen to you too, and you'll find the professional reputation you established become erased by this unprofessional conduct. Bottom line - Great work sells itself. Mediocre work begs for more work.

There is a strong company culture to avoid damaging the reputation of the company above all else. It results into a company that is late to innovate, and takes years to develop new consulting functions. If you want to have cutting edge opportunities to consult in, this will not be the place. The focus on innovation is missing, and there won't be one any time in the near future.

Employees are rewarded purely on the work they have done for you in the past, and they are held on a pedestal like athletes past their prime. The problem with that is the "Past Performance" aspect. Past performance isn't future revenue. Sustained superior performers can, and occasionally will, poorly perform. New guys will on occasion have tremendous ideas, but they are pressured to put them aside because it is "different thinking".

I didn't approve of the CEO in this review for this one reason. His current focus on strategy and strategic development is not going to grow the business. Mr. Panico spends too much time on new talent coming in the door, and in their first year of employment. These guys that are given the opportunity to work at IPM feel so lucky to be there, that they won't venture from the vision he has in place for the organization. Instead, he should spend half the time (the time he spends trying to get his company's work awarded) holding the management to the standard that the consultants are held to. Turnover would decrease, the company would not remain stagnant in growth, and he would achieve his strategic vision earlier than expected. Also - I think if any of the C-suite and regional directors went out to the field and spent time observing projects, they'd be surprised, and would change the collective approach in a manner that would improve the company.

The current approach promotes a culture to under promise, over deliver, and leave the work short so that there is more work to be done.

Aug 15, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to present your thoughtful input. We are committed to delivering the highest value to our clients and to providing an exceptional experience for our employees. Our focus ... More

Unkind

Current Employee - Project Management Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Management Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and a lot of very intelligent team members. The idea of this company is great and provides a lot of exposure.

Cons

The structure is ridiculous, they scrutinize you for a year and do not help you to grow unless it is exactly as they want it. I would not recommend this company to anyone who is young in there career and innovative. This company made me question my ability and was very condescending. They say they are like a family, but as new comer you are NOT welcome unless you conform to what they want you to be. They tell you they are about work life balance, but then are unhappy when you choose your real family over them!

Practice what you preach!

Jun 19, 2014

There is no doubt that IPM’s standards are high, and we do focus on delivering very high quality with a consistent look regardless of the consultant assigned. Acknowledging that we can always ... More

Excellent history, growth is challenging leadership.

Former Employee - Project Management Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Integrated Project Management Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Strong set of core values set by original founder and core leadership.
    Strong client relations.
    Good team collaboration.
    Strong focus on knowledge content development and consultant training - excellent opportunity for less experienced consultants with good leadership potential.

Cons

Internal management system is severely mismatching the company culture and also the level of experience of consultants.
    Reconsider the formal attire events - very outdated and sends a strange message.
    HQ sometimes feel out of sync with the consultants (remember who is out there serving the client base)

Review your management system and metrics system - don't fall down by going to a command and control mentality as you manage your impressive growth. Congratulations on remaining true to your core values for over 20 years - ensure the management philosophies, and traits present in your levels of leadership, are clearly aligned to support this.

Jun 19, 2014

Thanks for the thorough review; we appreciate your comments. We are always trying to ensure that our systems/structure match our needs, and we will continue to evaluate.

Outstanding people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Integrated Project Management Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are amazing, smart, fun people - always willing to help!

Cons

Projects can be quite demanding.

Integrated Project Management Company Photos